JBURNS489

Bullets penetrate tents and other thin cover

I feel like you should be able to shoot through some things and people. If you are point blank and fire a mosin at someone, the bullet should continue on through the person like in real life. Similarily, tents, wooden doors and fences and other weak or thin cover should also be able to be shot through, depending on bullet type and range. This would add more realism and fear in my opinion.

Edited by JBURNS489

Bullet penetration is already in this game. You can shoot through doors and thin walls like the walls of quonset huts. The property needs polish, which is to be expected in an alpha, but it's already in game.

48 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Bullet penetration is already in this game. You can shoot through doors and thin walls like the walls of quonset huts. The property needs polish, which is to be expected in an alpha, but it's already in game.

Yes, it's a bit hard to tell sometimes, which surfaces can be penetrated. This is, I believe, ArmaII's old system. It works, but you don't get any feedback, e.g. bullet holes or broken surfaces. Doors and such are supposed to become physical objects, so they will break into parts or become bullet sponges (depending on material). At the moment all small props are static (tables, chairs, fences), but in the future at least some of these should become breakable (there was a vehicle video were they showed interaction); it should be possible to destroy some cover. 

The question is if tents should really be penetrable, even if it is realistic. I'm not sure I want tents to become destructible, but as long as anyone can just pack my tents, I guess shooting and damaging tents is just an alternative way of camp destruction; it could also be that we can pierce tents without completely destroying them. Technically it would just mean the bullet ignores the collision mesh for the tent and passes through it. Shouldn't be too hard to do, but let's see how base-building works, first and what the devs have in mind with their physical surfaces and dynamic destruction. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

Yes, it's a bit hard to tell sometimes, which surfaces can be penetrated. This is, I believe, ArmaII's old system. It works, but you don't get any feedback, e.g. bullet holes or broken surfaces. Doors and such are supposed to become physical objects, so they will break into parts or become bullet sponges (depending on material). At the moment all small props are static (tables, chairs, fences), but in the future at least some of these should become breakable (there was a vehicle video were they showed interaction); it should be possible to destroy some cover. 

The question is if tents should really be penetrable, even if it is realistic. I'm not sure I want tents to become destructible, but as long as anyone can just pack my tents, I guess shooting and damaging tents is just an alternative way of camp destruction; it could also be that we can pierce tents without completely destroying them. Technically it would just mean the bullet ignores the collision mesh for the tent and passes through it. Shouldn't be too hard to do, but let's see how base-building works, first and what the devs have in mind with their physical surfaces and dynamic destruction. 

I'm on the other side of the fence, I'd love to be able to destroy containers and contents within different containers without having to pack/move/dump for despawn.

38 minutes ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

I'm on the other side of the fence, I'd love to be able to destroy containers and contents within different containers without having to pack/move/dump for despawn.

I like knowing where camps are to build a map of where groups are located on the server. It serves me well to know where I can find people and I tend to play on always the same 1-2 servers. So I don't often raid camps, or sometimes I leave something for trade or come back to see what loot is available now ^^ Other times I just think of my own effort to build camps and pity people for losing theirs (to me), so I leave it. I haven't really found any giant camps yet, except for one time when the admins build something near my own base. Tents don't have enough value - that's the downside of them being comparably easy to find now. But they are fun to play with and everything except cars is replacable in an hour or two in Dayz. So I don't mind losing a camp or a tent or two once in a while. If they get blown up or shot or emptied out and dissembled doesn't make a difference; it would just add to the variety. Once basebuilding and barricading is functional we'll be able to fortify our positions anyway. Then at last tents should become nothing more than a container that can be shot at. 

I'm all with being able to destroy camps, but I think it should take effort. Such as you must build a fire to destroy items. If you destroy munitions then you'll hear the fireworks.