cs_wolf

DayZ Atmosphere

As a long lasting DayZ player and testing DayZ SA since release, I have had no better experience of the "DayZ feel" than in the DayZero mod for ArmA 2, that said, here are my concerns for the SA.

DayZero mod for ArmA 2 gives the players a constant feeling of fear or panic, be it due to the community that make it that way or the outstanding atmosphere/ambience/grittiness/horror they created in this mod, this is such an important aspect of a horror survival genre (Plus Dayz SA its stated as horror in the steam store).

DayZero chernarus map feels like the citizens panicked from the outbreak, the map feels apocalyptic and horrific, night time is even better, the sounds are on point, in the SA I do not feel any of that yet. I want the SA players to feel the same feelings the DayZero players get, it will make the SA live up to its name as horror survival. Here is some media examples that still gives me chills when I play it, plus the fly sounds that come with it. SN16yiz.jpgn0PyMbY.jpg

The hanged citizens is one great example of atmoshpere and horror. (Green Mountain at night on DayZero is my favourite place).

I really hope the DayZdev team get the feeling right for the MAIN game like DayZero accomplished, or even make it better, otherwise we will just have to rely on modders, but the MAIN game should be this way in my opinion. Whats more important than getting the players more immersed and connected to the game they love?

Edited by cs_wolf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sneakydude said:

arma 2 was on sale, wonder if it is still looks like fun.

I've been tempted to buy Arma 2 so I could try DayZ mod. I got the SA about a year ago and I'm curious about the mod. I would really just want to see what vanilla mod plays like. I yo-yo back and forth on it since the SA was created for some very good reasons that make the mod seem less desirable.

@ OP - You make good points. A lot of what you describe falls squarely into "touch-up" territory, which will come a little later in development. I'm sure you will someday be able to have the same kind of feeling from the SA as you did in the mod.

• Like 1

It looks creepy alright. But I'm pretty sure that someone hanging themselves wouldn't tie their hands behind their back beforehand.

• Like 1

Dayzero is a ton of fun. But remember its a mod of a mod.

When dayz SA goes to the mod community, it will flourish. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Dayzero is a ton of fun. But remember its a mod of a mod.

When dayz SA goes to the mod community, it will flourish. 

True is the mod if somebody play with first Bohemia Game. Operation Flashpoint they know this map for DayZ Standalone is for that game! Only better graphics and tweak a little different arrangement of buildings. I played lots of hours in Operation Flashpoint I am really sure this map is very similar. Yes Operation Flashpoint was release in 2001 if you dont believe me just check this game screens http://www.gry-online.pl/S055.asp?ID=1220

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Killawife said:

It looks creepy alright. But I'm pretty sure that someone hanging themselves wouldn't tie their hands behind their back beforehand.

Those are not suicides.  Those are murders on display.

• Like 1

I haven't played DayZero but it looks fantastic - except for the recoil of the guns, it seems like none of them have any.

But I really love everything else about it - movement, vehicles, items. Heard there are 60 bicycles per server. Looks like there is always (inter)action. Really hoping SA will be somewhat like that one day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buakaw said:

Heard there are 60 bicycles per server. Looks like there is always (inter)action. Really hoping SA will be somewhat like that one day.

If you have driven any of the vehicles currently in SA, that experience should temper your expectations for bicycles. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I expect a lot of hilarious and frustrating things to happen with them for at least a few months.  If bicycle crashes cause any damage, there's a good chance that ignoring them would be the safest route.

19 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

If you have driven any of the vehicles currently in SA, that experience should temper your expectations for bicycles. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I expect a lot of hilarious and frustrating things to happen with them for at least a few months.  If bicycle crashes cause any damage, there's a good chance that ignoring them would be the safest route.

Honestly I am fine with whatever is happening.. I just have my own gripes with the game like complete lack of realism in some cases.

And some of these are real immersion breakers imo.

-the unlimited inertia-less 22km/h sprinting

-not being able to shoot out of vehicles (at least Brian admitted this sucks and he actually wants to push to be able to do that)

-the complete lack of stances.. why can't I get on my toes to peak over high objects or rest my gun on this ledge that I am peaking over after a sprint? Why can't we climb the simplest objects?

-garages void of car loot and what not.. having to look for tires and car equipment for AGES in an abandoned game world is frustrating, repetative and doesn't make sense whatsoever especially given the socio-economical background of place we found ourselves in

-the movement and animations in general.. switching stances after a sprint for example is so delayed and clumsy, it takes about 3 seconds or so.. completely unrealistic, goofy and infuriating. could probably go on ages about the animations but yeah, they will get fixed. I dearly hope they will.

-the inventory system - why can a car only hold such a small amount of items? IRL I could stuff the trunk of my (small) car with 5-10 rifles easily and still have more than enough room for plenty of small stuff/ clothes.

-several other limitations of the engine which I forgot but always come back to you and are annyoing and immersion breaking

-not being able to flip back vehicles

-fuel leaking and any other un-counterable game mechanic (ye ye drive better, it rarely happens but when it does it's super annoying)

sorry for crying but yeah. there are some other major points I unfortunately forgot right now.

Edited by Buakaw

50 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

Honestly I am fine with whatever is happening.. I just have my own gripes with the game like complete lack of realism in some cases.

And some of these are real immersion breakers imo.

-the unlimited inertia-less 22km/h sprinting

-not being able to shoot out of vehicles (at least Brian admitted this sucks and he actually wants to push to be able to do that)

-the complete lack of stances.. why can't I get on my toes to peak over high objects or rest my gun on this ledge that I am peaking over after a sprint? Why can't we climb the simplest objects?

-garages void of car loot and what not.. having to look for tires and car equipment for AGES in an abandoned game world is frustrating, repetative and doesn't make sense whatsoever especially given the socio-economical background of place we found ourselves in

-the movement and animations in general.. switching stances after a sprint for example is so delayed and clumsy, it takes about 3 seconds or so.. completely unrealistic, goofy and infuriating. could probably go on ages about the animations but yeah, they will get fixed. I dearly hope they will.

-the inventory system - why can a car only hold such a small amount of items? IRL I could stuff the trunk of my (small) car with 5-10 rifles easily and still have more than enough room for plenty of small stuff/ clothes.

-several other limitations of the engine which I forgot but always come back to you and are annyoing and immersion breaking

-not being able to flip back vehicles

-fuel leaking and any other un-counterable game mechanic (ye ye drive better, it rarely happens but when it does it's super annoying)

sorry for crying but yeah. there are some other major points I unfortunately forgot right now.

not being able to fucking flip a truck is immersion breaking?

casual

pushing a vehicle should be an option with how easy vehicles flip and do 180s.

also STFU you are probably far more casual than me and will always be.

Edited by Buakaw

5 hours ago, rafap said:

True is the mod if somebody play with first Bohemia Game. Operation Flashpoint they know this map for DayZ Standalone is for that game! Only better graphics and tweak a little different arrangement of buildings. I played lots of hours in Operation Flashpoint I am really sure this map is very similar. Yes Operation Flashpoint was release in 2001 if you dont believe me just check this game screens http://www.gry-online.pl/S055.asp?ID=1220

Your joking right? Pixel game.

5 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

pushing a vehicle should be an option with how easy vehicles flip and do 180s.

That is an issue with the in-engine physics, not how the physics (and vehicles) are "actually supposed to be"

15 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

That is an issue with the in-engine physics, not how the physics (and vehicles) are "actually supposed to be"

? Did you just come here to post nonsense?

Not being able to push is exactly that - the game isn't how it's supposed to be. It can likely be attributed to unfinished modules or an unfinished game in general, which I didn't deny and am perfectly aware of. That doesn't mean I can't call it annoying and or immersion breaking.

It's no big deal, there is ways around this particular issue like shooting arrows at the car, taking off the weels and putting them back on a million times, throwing wheels at the car, restarting the server and and and - but annoying nonetheless.

Edited by Buakaw

1 minute ago, Buakaw said:

? Did you just come here to post nonsense?

Not being able to push is exactly that - the game isn't how it's supposed to be. It can likely be attributed to unfinished modules or an unfinished game in general, which I didn't deny and am perfectly aware of. That doesn't mean I can't call it annoying and or immersion breaking.

It's no big deal, there is ways around this particular issue like shooting arrows at the car, taking off the weels and putting them back on a million times, throwing wheels at the car, restarting the server and and and.

"You should be able to push vehicles wicked easy because when you break the physics system, the vehicles do Russian gymnastics"

Is basically what you said.

Go ahead, try to push that V3S up the hill. How much do you think it weighs?

We should be able to push the sedan, and that is about it. 

Just now, Whyherro123 said:

"You should be able to push vehicles wicked easy because when you break the physics system, the vehicles do Russian gymnastics"

Is basically what you said.

Go ahead, try to push that V3S up the hill. How much do you think it weighs?

We should be able to push the sedan, and that is about it. 

I haven't used the v3s or bus this patch, so I was automatically assuming Sedan or Hatchback.

Pushing either back onto their wheels when they landed on the side would be fairly easy to do IRL I think.

The feels are the best in dayz :D

Edited by cs_wolf

Whilst atmosphere is important...more important game features and engine features come first.

On 2/28/2016 at 7:21 AM, cs_wolf said:

As a long lasting DayZ player and testing DayZ SA since release, I have had no better experience of the "DayZ feel" than in the DayZero mod for ArmA 2, that said, here are my concerns for the SA.

DayZero mod for ArmA 2 gives the players a constant feeling of fear or panic, be it due to the community that make it that way or the outstanding atmosphere/ambience/grittiness/horror they created in this mod, this is such an important aspect of a horror survival genre (Plus Dayz SA its stated as horror in the steam store).

DayZero chernarus map feels like the citizens panicked from the outbreak, the map feels apocalyptic and horrific, night time is even better, the sounds are on point, in the SA I do not feel any of that yet. I want the SA players to feel the same feelings the DayZero players get, it will make the SA live up to its name as horror survival. Here is some media examples that still gives me chills when I play it, plus the fly sounds that come with it. Picture 1Picture 2 Video example 1

The hanged citizens is one great example of atmoshpere and horror. (Green Mountain at night on DayZero is my favourite place).

I really hope the DayZdev team get the feeling right for the MAIN game like DayZero accomplished, or even make it better, otherwise we will just have to rely on modders, but the MAIN game should be this way in my opinion. Whats more important than getting the players more immersed and connected to the game they love?

One of the biggest issues IMO, of properly having an atmosphere in SA, is the ability to use settings to negate that atmosphere. It makes large portions of the environment non-organic to the gameplay. Shadows settings, Vegetation settings, Distance Rendering Priorities, and Gamma goggling do more damage to any version of immersion than aesthetic adjustments could compensate for.  In my opinion.

I honestly do hope these are just placeholder settings for the finished product, and that a hard-line is drawn at some point to protect the fidelity of the game, even at the expense of a few players needing to upgrade their systems. I would even settle for a series of servers with locked settings, that prevent players from "optimizing" their settings at the expense of game fidelity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

Gamma goggling .

I completely agree with you on this and I'm also extremely guilty of doing it. I turn up the gama shine as soon as it goes dark because I'm not about to run around with a flashlight while the rest of the server is running around with gamma vision. In the last 6 months I have yet to see another player using a flashlight.

Also the only time its daylight ingame for me is on weekends. During the week by the time I get off work and get positioned to catch a few hours of gameplay, its always night time. When the servers do finally rotate to daylight hours I have to turn in. I hope in the future public servers will be on alternating time cycles.

• Like 2

In 0.61 exp we have a hanging citizen/zombie at new town hall in cherno, I am very happy!

Video: https://t.co/L3PAxzMoKp

Maybe there are more throughout the map because people coud not get too far due to server crashes, im hoping for stary crane and green mountain tower.

Look out for them survivors! <3

Edited by cs_wolf

The atmosphere was thicker in the mod, but let me tell you from experience, you'll fucking hate going from the SA to the mod. There are so many bloody quality of life changes between the two that it's incredibly frustrating going back, even for a lark.