philbur

Question on what an Admin can do

I am still on the fence about renting a server...but seeing as there are very few servers running on Eastern Standard Time (Eastern North America) I am probably going to do it.

My question is this...Can an Admin (me, basically) just pop around in third person watching others play the game? I used to have Quake and Half-Life servers and No-Clipping around the maps was actually really entertaining for me.

Thanks in advance.

Such functionality on DayZ Standalone servers do not provide. The use of maps with marked player is considered cheating.

13 hours ago, philbur said:

I am still on the fence about renting a server...but seeing as there are very few servers running on Eastern Standard Time (Eastern North America) I am probably going to do it.

My question is this...Can an Admin (me, basically) just pop around in third person watching others play the game? I used to have Quake and Half-Life servers and No-Clipping around the maps was actually really entertaining for me.

Thanks in advance.

There is no such functionality. Not even close. 

You can set what time your server starts during resets, persistent time, a few message of the days... see the logs (that are bugged now and generally erase with every restart), reset the server from scratch and restart it manually. Oh yeah, and you get to choose the name of it. 

You can kick from public but only for cheating (though many kick for whatever reason they want since nobody does a fucking thing about it anyway) and you can ban under similar circumstances. 

Other than that your functionality as an "admin" is extremely limited. 

14 hours ago, philbur said:

Thanks in advance.

Not at this time, but we may down the road get 3rd party server tools, or other tools from devs that will run fine. Are you sure you want to run a server right now? your taking a huge gamble even on east coast. Ours laid empty for a very long time. Unless you can somehow get the right people at the right time, your pretty much going to see 6-7 max players at a time. Hopefully you got a good name for yourself by now. Good luck on your east coast server. Ill review this later on.

I am in Ontario too.

Thanks guys.

I have thought about it for a while now and yeah, I would definitely like to give it a go. "I Understand" that it is still very early as far as the server control featureset goes but what the hell...

I spend more on smokes and junk food than it will cost to rent a server but I do hope I can piggy back off another Private Shard to keep the cost down. To be honest though, the way I see it, the ability to play on a predictable, local server that is admin "ass-hat" free is almost worth the fees alone..

It creeps me out a bit when I check out some of the more serious RP servers out there and I don't want to ever tell someone how they should play....so It's hard for me to decide on a direction I should try.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Did you ever find yourself a private hive to piggy back off?