WilliamTheConqueror

Player stats shouldn't show players killed

On 2/18/2016 at 7:13 PM, WilliamTheConqueror said:

Isn't having players killed on the list encouraging kos? "Look how many kills I have!" It shouldn't be on the list at all, and time survived should be on the top, as that is the main focus of the game.

It may be a main focus for you - but not for everyone.

What about blokes like myself who don't care about stats in any way, shape, or form, but will continue to spread genocide throughout Chernarus regardless?

Ayy. :^)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grimey Rick said:

What about blokes like myself who don't care about stats in any way, shape, or form, but will continue to spread genocide throughout Chernarus regardless?

Ayy. :^)

OK - The Grimey Rick has SPOKEN !

I agree with him - we can all go home now. I would have liked to know how many chickens I KOS because sometimes they're dam difficult to see, ya can hear them but not see them in the long grass, y know? - I'm an old fashioned player I leave the grass turned on -  it is Real Difficult to get headshots on those tiny heads, and that ought to be recorded on my stats IMO.

xx p

• Like 2

On 18/02/2016 at 3:27 PM, generalcrust said:

Why not?

I mean, DayZ is really just a platform for people to play the way they want. It's not so much that it will "encourage KOS", but acts as a service for those who care about it. If you don't, then, cool man. Don't fret. But honestly, those who will KOS will KOS. I'm generally pretty friendly in game (like 90% of the time), and even I would be curious to see a kill count, especially if my character's been alive for a while and had to defend himself.

All those stats we'll see help tell the story of our characters, so, ya, I want all the stats I can get.

Given that the game is about survival (and btw I just have to say this new forum is SHIT!), the score boards should reflect the goals of the game and not kill stats. Why aren't you interested in seeing how many footsteps you've taken - why is there a need to see how many people you've killed. isn't that a rather weird statistic to want to see? Especially when there are far more interesting statistics that top kill stats (which are meaningless).

How about

Time Lived

Distance traveled on foot/vehicle

Animals hunted

how many times wounded

how many times you healed another player

how many crops you successfully grew

how many camp fires you made

What is it about how many players you killed is more important than anything I just listed?

On 21/02/2016 at 3:16 PM, PokeMeTV said:

It may be a main focus for you - but not for everyone.

Errrr no it's a survival game - therefore, quite unsurprisingly, the focus is about surviving.

(ffs please wait 58 seconds before posting? I hate them even more now. lol)

pps - it lied too - I waited 15 seconds and it let me post. So not only is the new forum shite but it lies too ;)

Edited by jex

The stat that's most important will be yours to choose, because sandbox.

If you believe Vanilla SA will be a survival game when done, time survived will likely be the common metric of success.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you've played all the video games from the beginning of video games and are not devoid of creativity you'll agree that shooters became boring long before the last century ended. Constant shooter PvP is the most repetitive and least dynamic type of game.

I came to DayZ because it offers a game with combat/marksmanship where I might get into a firefight with another player but also but also must defend against AI and the environment/biohazards. Essentially, DayZ offers a game that isn't ONLY about shooting every other thing that moves. My love for marksmanship and survival horror meet beautifully in this context along with many other sandbox elements I enjoy.

I'll say it until I wear these keys out, 1,000 other games provide better PvP shooters experiences with much much better competition. By only KoSing people (who could be a 12 year old playing for the first time or a 45 yr old 5,000 hour player) who don't know you are there you are basically playing sniper grief loot grab all day and the "skill" you display is likely arguable.

So go ahead, argue that the survival elements aren't in, argue that you get bored, argue that infected are scarce and loot is plenty.

I'll argue that a lot of people have shitty ideas about what constitutes fun and are actually "bad at having fun" (yes, it's possible) and a lot of other people are merely followers and people who can't see past the current state of the game.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give SA 6.0

Then give Stamina and Weight for ultimate tears.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

Okay it truly doesn't matter if a players killed stat is in the game. You guys are thinking to hard about it.

5 hours ago, jex said:

Errrr no it's a survival game - therefore, quite unsurprisingly, the focus is about surviving.

(ffs please wait 58 seconds before posting? I hate them even more now. lol)

pps - it lied too - I waited 15 seconds and it let me post. So not only is the new forum shite but it lies too ;)

Errrr it is a survival game, but it is also a shooter as seen in the countless guns they add to game, but also in the community's enjoyment in the pvp side of the game. The game is supposed to let you play however you like which means someone could kos and someone could build a farm, the game allows for all of it.

People play this game differently, some people play it as a survivalist game and others as a PVP shooter. If you don't want a killcounter in the game, don't look at it. As a whole, it is not really a big thing, made a big thing by some whiners. Let it go and be happy about the new renderer instead.

I think it should only show your stats on character death and once you respawn you'll never see that characters stats again.

• Like 1

I think ^^^Miles ^^^ up there has the right idea.  If somebody wants to show off their badass mass-murderer character, they are going to have to stop playing the game on that account, and just leave it there to look at those amazing numbers.  We might actually see the player progression shift because of this; where the players who normally recycle the same gear in Cherno or Elektro until a server reset, might rack up a few kills and decide that they value their stats more than a few more cheap thrills.  Will we actually see run-of-the-mill PvP players head inland and take a shot at survival, just so their kill stats won't go away the next time they YOLO it into a PD?

Just so everyone is clear on this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with tweaking minor parameters of the game to see which direction it might shift the modal player behavior.  Adding stats, omitting stats, and weighting different stats differently as they apply to an aggregate player ranking, can all be viable and interesting ways to see how modifying the included stat system might affect the value system of the people playing the game.  Omitting a kill counter certainly won't remove KOS from the game, but weighting the statistics creatively might help to incentivise some of that complex, emergent gameplay that this sandbox is supposed to produce; so far, I've just seen lots and lots of the same old thing.

It must be frustrating that whenever someone manages to make a tool by which people can creates something new and different, by the time the masses get ahold of it, it immediately becomes the hip new thing to draw penises with...  Now that I've mentioned it, how are those stats columns to be formatted, again?

• Like 1

I dont think it will change anything,i writet my kills on paper when i startet playing dayz ver.03... ,but then i forget it and just played the game.Its not battleroyal.Trust your instinct.I can imagine that maybe the little kids in groups will kill each other in coop to boost their kill stat and make a selfie xD.

Im hyped for the lifetime stats for each character you have!!!Lets see who survives the longest hours,thats realy interesting.I had a character in vers0.4... and i just wanted to know how long it was alive,i was many many hours in the woods scouting little places, avoiding big citys just surviving.Untill a new update came out and my character got resetet :) .

Edited by Blazing87

14 minutes ago, Blazing87 said:

I dont think it will change anything,i writet my kills on paper when i startet playing dayz ver.03... ,but then i forget it and just played the game.Its not battleroyal.Trust your instinct.I can imagine that maybe the little kids in groups will kill each other in coop to boost their kill stat and make a selfie xD.

Im hyped for the lifetime stats for each character you have!!!Lets see who survives the longest hours,thats realy interesting.I had a character in vers0.4... and i just wanted to know how long it was alive,i was many many hours in the woods scouting little places, avoiding big citys just surviving.Untill a new update came out and my character got resetet :) .

I kinda like that. I may create a death memo that includes that. Normally have a GG note, but maybe go further. Give a character spawn date, a record of kills, stuff like that. Pretty damn cool idea.

14 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The stat that's most important will be yours to choose, because sandbox.

If you believe Vanilla SA will be a survival game when done, time survived will likely be the common metric of success.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you've played all the video games from the beginning of video games and are not devoid of creativity you'll agree that shooters became boring long before the last century ended. Constant shooter PvP is the most repetitive and least dynamic type of game.

I came to DayZ because it offers a game with combat/marksmanship where I might get into a firefight with another player but also but also must defend against AI and the environment/biohazards. Essentially, DayZ offers a game that isn't ONLY about shooting every other thing that moves. My love for marksmanship and survival horror meet beautifully in this context along with many other sandbox elements I enjoy.

I'll say it until I wear these keys out, 1,000 other games provide better PvP shooters experiences with much much better competition. By only KoSing people (who could be a 12 year old playing for the first time or a 45 yr old 5,000 hour player) who don't know you are there you are basically playing sniper grief loot grab all day and the "skill" you display is likely arguable.

So go ahead, argue that the survival elements aren't in, argue that you get bored, argue that infected are scarce and loot is plenty.

I'll argue that a lot of people have shitty ideas about what constitutes fun and are actually "bad at having fun" (yes, it's possible) and a lot of other people are merely followers and people who can't see past the current state of the game.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give SA 6.0

Then give Stamina and Weight for ultimate tears.

Your forgetting.... its going to be a modded game BI has already told hicks and his team they want modding to happen. Everything will change, but SA will stay the same. You have all the choice in the world what you want your server to look like.

9 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Your forgetting.... its going to be a modded game BI has already told hicks and his team they want modding to happen. Everything will change, but SA will stay the same. You have all the choice in the world what you want your server to look like.

How could I possibly forget modding?

It may be that modding is the only way I will get a version of DayZ that I actually want.

I just hold out some hope that Vanilla DayZ will play more like a SURVIVAL game....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

It may be that modding is the only way I will get a version of DayZ that I actually want.

I just hold out some hope that Vanilla DayZ will play more like a SURVIVAL game....

But the second modding comes, the majority of the playerbase will be playing DayZ SA Epoch.

23 hours ago, Blazing87 said:

Nice catch; I never even considered the boosting possibilities until you mentioned it.  I suppose that will help with some new  'emergent' behaviors.

On 2/26/2016 at 0:06 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

See the only way your going to get your own KOS, no stats etc.. is to have a custom vanilla server. Some of the features you dont like turned off. Maybe hardcore vanilla. The only problem is, who is going to host it?

your telling me, and a couple others in this thread how much you dont like KOS, stats all that.

I suppose if you want to put a biased spin on it, that's the way you'll see it.

What about bragging rights for hours played vs (low) players killed? I've seen lots of people here bragging about 1000s of hours and not ever having seen a person.  pics or gtfo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, q.S Sachiel said:

I suppose if you want to put a biased spin on it, that's the way you'll see it.

What about bragging rights for hours played vs (low) players killed? I've seen lots of people here bragging about 1000s of hours and not ever having seen a person.  pics or gtfo.

I see what you did there...  let me just rustle up a few hundred screenshots with no people in them=burden of proof satisfied. L-O-L

• Like 2

On 2/26/2016 at 0:26 PM, sneakydude said:

See the only way your going to get your own KOS, no stats etc.. is to have a custom vanilla server. Some of the features you dont like turned off. Maybe hardcore vanilla. The only problem is, who is going to host it?

your telling me, and a couple others in this thread how much you dont like KOS, stats all that.

Problem isn't who's going to host it (Vilayer, etc. files for hosting won't be public for a while because BI gets a cut, no other reason for them to keep a monopoly to 3 companies. They plan to release that to the public 5 years after 1.0 hits, and that's a tentative date, if DayZ is still kicking by then expect it postponed).

The problem is - who is going to play it. Let's face it, you can't have mods on the public hive, unless you'd have several public hives for different large mods (e.g. SA's equivalent of Epoch), which won't happen. It could be done, but overall it's more effort than it's worth...

So what now, you set up that super hardcore 100x zombie, .001x guns and food server. Who knows, maybe you can get it popular, but the more likely scenario is that by recreating early .55 you'll just have some people connect, realize that your mods make the game virtually unplayable not to their taste and they'll leave. You on the other hand will be free to roam around licking the roads for sustenance in what's essentially a single player experience for you.

Edited by nexdemise

would be nice if server owners could set a filter , that blocked people with x amount or more kills from entering server , for example . and of course the opposite as well. need X amount of kills to join this pvp server ... type thing 

On 2/17/2016 at 4:52 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

It works both ways.

I'm equally proud of and make an equal statement with 0 players killed.

8beEw.jpg

where did you get this screen shot ? 

2 hours ago, Zurvivalist said:

where did you get this screen shot ? 

My imgur account.

This is taken shortly after breaking 1,000 infected killed in the mod in 2012.