WilliamTheConqueror

Player stats shouldn't show players killed

Isn't having players killed on the list encouraging kos? "Look how many kills I have!" It shouldn't be on the list at all, and time survived should be on the top, as that is the main focus of the game.

• Like 8

I think it would fun, and interesting to have the amount of players killed on the menu stats. Also, people will always KOS either way, and they will also fight to keep the "players killed" stat in.

40 minutes ago, DJ SGTHornet said:

I think it would fun, and interesting to have the amount of players killed on the menu stats. Also, people will always KOS either way, and they will also fight to keep the "players killed" stat in.

I will concede the idea of keeping it, but it the main focus on the list should be the passive stats of your current character, such as how far you have traveled and how long you have survived. That to me should be the real focus.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, WilliamTheConqueror said:

I will concede the idea of keeping it, but it the main focus on the list should be the passive stats of your current character, such as how far you have traveled and how long you have survived. That to me should be the real focus.

Ehhh, I think they should add the kills amount too. However, to each their own. We shall see what they end up doing in the future with it. :)

23 minutes ago, DJ SGTHornet said:

Ehhh, I think they should add the kills amount too. However, to each their own. We shall see what they end up doing in the future with it. :)

I just don't want people to view it like people view k/d ratios in other shooters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WilliamTheConqueror said:

I just don't want people to view it like people view k/d ratios in other shooters.

That is the thing though, people will inevitably view it as that. It won't be stopped. xD

Anyone who actually wants to track their kills is perfectly capable of doing so with pencil-and-paper technology. Removing the kill counter would punish them.

• Like 4

I agree it shouldn't be the biggest thing at the top, but I think it's necessary information as to what type of person your survivor is. Has he taken that step and murdered someone? Or is he someone who is just trying to survive and defend himself from zombies? Is he an absolute psycho looking to murder whoever's in his path? I definitely think you should only be able to view your kill count on the main menu, though.

I don't mind knowing for certain as long as it's not displayed during gameplay.  I've been taking screenshots of bodies anyway so a number doesn't hurt to have an accurate total.  No one has a screenshot of my body from .59 yet.

Though, more survival-ish stats on top of the traditional mind-numbing statistics are welcome.

Edited by sausagekingofchicago
  • Like 1

I know I've been away for a while but if my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall DayZ being a game about SURVIVAL. The OP is entirely correct - can we start seeing stats that support the gameplay and not the usual shit for dickheads which is kill stats?

Oh and bring the beans back, this heart shit is not DayZ!

Edited by jex
  • Like 6

Why not?

I mean, DayZ is really just a platform for people to play the way they want. It's not so much that it will "encourage KOS", but acts as a service for those who care about it. If you don't, then, cool man. Don't fret. But honestly, those who will KOS will KOS. I'm generally pretty friendly in game (like 90% of the time), and even I would be curious to see a kill count, especially if my character's been alive for a while and had to defend himself.

All those stats we'll see help tell the story of our characters, so, ya, I want all the stats I can get.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, generalcrust said:

All those stats we'll see help tell the story of our characters, so, ya, I want all the stats I can get.

This to the max.

Hmm .. so you don't know if your character is a killer or not ?

interesting ...

I want stats on how many non-lethal player hits I've scored with my FAL and also with my STICK. Also how many chickens I've eaten and what weapon I killed them with and if I boiled them or roasted them.

I need this to remember who I am in the game. I'm not boasting (I never boast) BUT I really wasted a lot of livestock it's only fair to have the exact number recorded. Also we need a Steam Achievement for every 10000 cans of RASPUTIN.

• Like 2

See, with different servers and in essence, different characters to play with, I need to know who is what when I boot up. I currently keep a word document that tracks my different players (I typically have about 8-10 private server players alive, and 1 public at any given point) and all of their important stats. See some people choose to stick to one type of game play, where what I do is allow Chernarus to flow through me. Each time I respawn the things that I encounter help me to develop a story for my character. Sometimes I play a crazed lunatic, others a helpful and harmless sap, and everything in between. Knowing if Ive killed Zeds or other players is key to knowing what type of player I am using because at times I will have not logged into that character of mine for a week or two. So.. yes, I can keep typing it all up each time I log out and checking it each time I log in, so I can know "who" this character is...

..or I can hope the BI does not choose to limit my available stats and possibly in turn my playstyle. :/

Edited by lrishjake

21 hours ago, WilliamTheConqueror said:

Isn't having players killed on the list encouraging kos? "Look how many kills I have!" It shouldn't be on the list at all, and time survived should be on the top, as that is the main focus of the game.

Lol, encouraging KOS? Boy, I think you're far away from Club Penguin here. Everyone in this fucking game KOSes. We have some "holier than thou" types that claim to be heroes giving bacon to bambis, but you really aren't fooling anyone.

Time survived isn't worth shit unless you're on private hive. Otherwise running around half naked somewhere in far north is equivalent to surviving while dodging bullets somewhere in a hotspot on a full server.

18 minutes ago, nexdemise said:

Lol, encouraging KOS? Boy, I think you're far away from Club Penguin here. Everyone in this fucking game KOSes. We have some "holier than thou" types that claim to be heroes giving bacon to bambis, but you really aren't fooling anyone.

Time survived isn't worth shit unless you're on private hive. Otherwise running around half naked somewhere in far north is equivalent to surviving while dodging bullets somewhere in a hotspot on a full server.

I gave bacon to a bambi a few weeks ago. In a moment of my own sheer stupidity, he punched me in the head and then killed me with my own gun. I still don't KoS. Ever. Never have, never will. You gotta give me a good reason first.

Also, wolves and zombies should make absolutely nowhere all that safe. So perhaps time survived will carry more weight in light of those kinds of changes. Either way, I find this entire discussion to be a bit premature tbh.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

It works both ways.

I'm equally proud of and make an equal statement with 0 players killed.

8beEw.jpg

• Like 6

On 18.2.2016 at 1:13 AM, WilliamTheConqueror said:

personally i'd think a low amount of players killed and a lot of playtime is far more interesting

it's easy to kill people, not killing them when meeting them is the hard part

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lrishjake said:

See, with different servers and in essence, different characters to play with, I need to know who is what when I boot up. I currently keep a word document that tracks my different players (I typically have about 8-10 private server players alive, and 1 public at any given point) and all of their important stats. See some people choose to stick to one type of game play, where what I do is allow Chernarus to flow through me. Each time I respawn the things that I encounter help me to develop a story for my character. Sometimes I play a crazed lunatic, others a helpful and harmless sap, and everything in between. Knowing if Ive killed Zeds or other players is key to knowing what type of player I am using because at times I will have not logged into that character of mine for a week or two. So.. yes, I can keep typing it all up each time I log out and checking it each time I log in, so I can know "who" this character is...

..or I can hope the BI does not choose to limit my available stats and possibly in turn my playstyle. :/

You have 10 different characters on ten different private servers and they all have different psychologies and motivation ?

ok....

.. that's fine ..  I'm just going to back away now..

• Like 1

On 2/18/2016 at 9:27 AM, generalcrust said:

and even I would be curious to see a kill count, especially if my character's been alive for a while and had to defend himself.

Could add a defensive kill stat.

2 hours ago, Your Adept Hero said:

Could add a defensive kill stat.

That would be hard to do, as it would only count kills after you have been hit. Any other circumstance would be counted as normal kills.

1 hour ago, WilliamTheConqueror said:

That would be hard to do, as it would only count kills after you have been hit. Any other circumstance would be counted as normal kills.

After the game detects you've been hit by someone, you have a certain amount of time to kill them before it's counted as an aggressive kill.

the map is too big for KOS, to even be worried about it. If people want to KOS they will. Its a game, everyone has the right to choose what role they want to play.

so stats are perfectly fine, kill feeds, whatever we need. Its going to be server based game, private, and a few public. So to take away options from the server op is out of the question.

I would like to see more weight given to activities not dealing with killing other players.  That aspect of the game needs absolutely no help at this point; never has, never will.  Perhaps time spent near other players would be a good statistic to prove the badassness of your character.  Zombie killing assists would also be nice to see counted.

Long life and high kill count could still be a pretty good indicator of success, but it leaves no room to brag for players who prefer a stealth approach.  Long life, high kills and high mileage would also look better than someone who spawns in Cherno, runs to a stash outside Prig and camps a sniper position racking up kills.

Stats are good, more stats would be nice.  If it ever comes to the point where we have global, hive-wide leaderboards, a K/D ratio centric stat system would discourage some of the more unique, emergent gameplay that makes DayZ special.

• Like 1