-Gews-

Kashtan scope guide

Kashtan scope guide, 0.59.131121

FOGDCtz.jpg

The Kashtan is the civilian version of the relatively new 1P78 series military optics. There are different versions of both. The one in DayZ has a reticle with three chevrons and is intended for the 5.45 mm cartridge. The scope is to be sighted in so the top chevron puts the bullet at 400 metres. The two lower chevrons are for 600 and 700 metres. Under the top chevron there's supposed to be a tiny dot for 500 metres, but it's not visible in the DayZ version (there's a smudge that looks to me like a vestigial dot, maybe it was too small to be defined). The scope is not meant to be adjusted in the field, on the fly, it is a "set it and forget it" affair. The real scope is 2.8x magnification, the DayZ version is just under 2.2x. In DayZ the Kashtan scope is the subject of many complaints. Using the scope on the AKM results in a very high trajectory. As mentioned above, the scope is "zeroed" at 400 metres. In real life one wouldn't sight in this scope for 400 metres with 7.62x39 but in DayZ we don't have a choice. The scope says "400", to reach that distance with the AKM it has to throw the slow 7.62x39 up in a big arc. To hit that range it has to double the launch angle compared to 5.45 mm. It would be better if a specific launch angle was defined for this scope instead of a range... that's closer to how things actually work. On a side note, in real life there is an AKM version intended to be sighted in at 300 metres which would give a better trajectory.

Anyways, I spent some rounds making tests on this optic. The coloured lines show, from top to bottom, the points of impact from 100 to 800 m in increments of 100 m. The green line is the 400 m zero.

AKM with Kashtan

l1Dk1SX.jpg

AK74 with Kashtan

HW7jGlp.jpg

VSS with Kashtan

pckNisp.png

Here is an alternate version, this time showing the range values for each chevron and some other points of aim. This patch has no rangefinders and these tests weren't too comprehensive so consider these numbers approximate.

AKM with Kashtan (version 2)

KrGFbgc.jpg

AK74 with Kashtan (version 2)

Re4Ehtc.jpg

VSS with Kashtan (version 2)

xUymShB.png

Rangefinding

It's possible to use the reticle as a rangefinder. I don't think this method very practical, but here it is. If a character is of equal height to the outermost vertical bars he is about 330 metres away.

The same thing for each bar going inwards, roughly 400, 500 and 600 metres, and the large vertical bar at the bottom, 160 metres.

RUKUJFw.jpg

Edited by -Gews-
  • Like 5

The following is not a joke or an attempt at sarcasm. I'm genuinely curious. 

What about the Kashtan on the SVD or Vintorez? Can it be even remotely practical or are the ballistics so far off that there is no point whatsoever?

Edited by ColdAtrophy

1 hour ago, ColdAtrophy said:

The following is not a joke or an attempt at sarcasm. I'm genuinely curious. 

What about the Kashtan on the SVD or Vintorez? Can it be even remotely practical or are the ballistics so far off that there is no point whatsoever?

SVD should be very close to AK74. I'll try to add it when I next obtain one.

VSS, ha ha... doesn't attach, but the bullet would rise triple the height of the 7.62x39.

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

SVD should be very close to AK74. I'll try to add it when I next obtain one.

VSS, ha ha... doesn't attach, but the bullet would rise triple the height of the 7.62x39.

Are you sure it doesn't attach? I'm like 99% sure that I did about a week ago. If you need arms for testing purposes, I have multiples of everything, all obtained 100% legitly. IDGAF about any gear and will give whatever you need.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

4 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Are you sure it doesn't attach? I'm like 99% sure that I did about a week ago. If you need arms for testing purposes, I have multiples of everything, all obtained 100% legitly. IDGAF about any gear and will give whatever you need.

Oops, you're right, it does attach. There's another weapon I need to add. Thanks for the offer, if I have trouble finding one I'll let you know. I can say with that scope the bullet will rise around 6 feet at 200 m.

You say pointless, but when I feel all sociable and some nub asks me for a weapon "to help protect the group," I'ma give him the one with a six-foot rise at 200m.

On 2/18/2016 at 8:58 AM, ColdAtrophy said:

LMAO. That's hilarious. So pointless then. Fair enough.

On 2/18/2016 at 10:28 AM, Funkmaster Rick said:

You say pointless, but when I feel all sociable and some nub asks me for a weapon "to help protect the group," I'ma give him the one with a six-foot rise at 200m.

I was going over my figures and something didn't add up. Turns out I messed up a conversion, make that a nine-foot rise at 200 m. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to adding the VSS. Pretty loopy.

Here's a diagram of the trajectory with this scope, compared to the AK74:

8lCE3Dq.png

• Like 2

Unfortunately you can not use the hashes and lines of the optic to measure distance in the game (in real life you can, but not in-game). Why? Because different people play the game with different resolutions and fields of view, that changes/distorts the images drawn on screen (and not to scale). You may figure out how to estimate distance on your settings, but unless someone else is using the exact same settings they can't use your measurements.

I've demonstrated this several times to friends who didn't believe me.

4 hours ago, HarmattanAssassin said:

Unfortunately you can not use the hashes and lines of the optic to measure distance in the game (in real life you can, but not in-game). Why? Because different people play the game with different resolutions and fields of view, that changes/distorts the images drawn on screen (and not to scale). You may figure out how to estimate distance on your settings, but unless someone else is using the exact same settings they can't use your measurements.

I've demonstrated this several times to friends who didn't believe me.

FOV is now locked for optics and in addition this optic is modeled in 3D space, not a simple overlay like the 'hunting scope' or PSO-1, etc.