Sign in to follow this  
mariolicious

Improvised bow reloading

So for a good two hours running to find rope to craft my bow, i stumble upon a hostile, and i get to fire one arrow off but it will not reload, and i instead have to turn into my inventory, to physically chamber one arrow after the next, this is next to impossible, while being shot at. When i place the arrows on the hotkey bar, it still wont reload no matter how many times i press the hotkey number. Now ive been looking through youtube and dayzwiki, and through the videos i watched there is no indication that you need a quiver to be able to reload the bow without having to go through the inventory manually, what am i doing wrong? Any advice/help would be much appreciated as i really do enjoy the bow.

• Like 1

So for a good two hours running to find rope to craft my bow, i stumble upon a hostile, and i get to fire one arrow off but it will not reload, and i instead have to turn into my inventory, to physically chamber one arrow after the next, this is next to impossible, while being shot at. When i place the arrows on the hotkey bar, it still wont reload no matter how many times i press the hotkey number. Now ive been looking through youtube and dayzwiki, and through the videos i watched there is no indication that you need a quiver to be able to reload the bow without having to go through the inventory manually, what am i doing wrong? Any advice/help would be much appreciated as i really do enjoy the bow.

I haven't used the bow in ages, however, I remember that you can stack arrows in multiples of five. Make five arrows, stack them, then drag them onto your bow. That should allow you to take five consecutive shots. Again, YMMV, I haven't bothered with the bow in literally over a year.

Also, two stacks of Rags can be crafted into Improvised Rope. That should save your some time in your future bow-crafting endeavors.

• Like 3

I haven't used the bow in ages, however, I remember that you can stack arrows in multiples of five. Make five arrows, stack them, then drag them onto your bow. That should allow you to take five consecutive shots. Again, YMMV, I haven't bothered with the bow in literally over a year.

Also, two stacks of Rags can be crafted into Improvised Rope. That should save your some time in your future bow-crafting endeavors.

Thanks a bunch, i only JUST found out about the rags into rope, so that will come in handy. However, when you craft sharpened sticks you get them in stacks of 5, then you add feathers and you get 5 arrows, however, when trying to attach 5 arrows to the bow, it will only give me the option to chamber the arrow, leaving the rest in my backpack or wherever i have them. I can not seem to attach stacks to the bow for some reason. 

Thanks a bunch, i only JUST found out about the rags into rope, so that will come in handy. However, when you craft sharpened sticks you get them in stacks of 5, then you add feathers and you get 5 arrows, however, when trying to attach 5 arrows to the bow, it will only give me the option to chamber the arrow, leaving the rest in my backpack or wherever i have them. I can not seem to attach stacks to the bow for some reason. 

That's been complained about several times. The last update made it more realistic to chamber bullets and load magazines into the conventional guns, but the arrows seem to have been rendered useless by it. I could still use the crossbow with a quiver, but that's probably, because it equals a magazine in code, wheras an arrow is counted as single bullets. There is probably a fix in the making. I suppose pressing "r" to reload the arrows doesn't work either? It works with magazines for pistols and most rifles.

The only thing you can do then to reload them without going into the interface is to put each arrow individually onto a hotkey. That's a waste of hotkeys, but it may be the only way to reload without intermission.  

Also, there was a bug where you can put arrows (add) into the quiver and they magically turn into bolts for the crossbow. Then you can pick them up and they magically turned back into arrows ^^ nobody knows what's going on. Idk if this error has been fixed, but since more important stuff doesn't, I would not suppose so; it my also only work with composite arrows or the ones with a bone tip. Just as an alternative, if you want to use the crossbow, but never find enough bolts. At least you can use proper reload with that (though it seems to take twice the time at the moment and was slow anyway).

Edited by S3V3N

Since the latest update, you can't attach 5 arrows at once. Instead, you drag the arrows into hotbar and press the corresponding key each time you want to reload a new arrow.

That's been complained about several times. The last update made it more realistic to chamber bullets and load magazines into the conventional guns, but the arrows seem to have been rendered useless by it. I could still use the crossbow with a quiver, but that's probably, because it equals a magazine in code, wheras an arrow is counted as single bullets. There is probably a fix in the making. I suppose pressing "r" to reload the arrows doesn't work either? It works with magazines for pistols and most rifles.

The only thing you can do then to reload them without going into the interface is to put each arrow individually onto a hotkey. That's a waste of hotkeys, but it may be the only way to reload without intermission.  

Also, there was a bug where you can put arrows (add) into the quiver and they magically turn into bolts for the crossbow. Then you can pick them up and they magically turned back into arrows ^^ nobody knows what's going on. Idk if this error has been fixed, but since more important stuff doesn't, I would not suppose so; it my also only work with composite arrows or the ones with a bone tip. Just as an alternative, if you want to use the crossbow, but never find enough bolts. At least you can use proper reload with that (though it seems to take twice the time at the moment and was slow anyway).

Since the latest update, you can't attach 5 arrows at once. Instead, you drag the arrows into hotbar and press the corresponding key each time you want to reload a new arrow.

Thanks a bunch guys, i managed to get it working putting 1 arrow by 1 in each hotkey. However youse reckon this is an intended step for the bow or a bug? 

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch guys, i managed to get it working putting 1 arrow by 1 in each hotkey. However youse reckon this is an intended step for the bow or a bug? 

You don't have to one arrow in each slot. Just put one arrow in Slot 1 and when you load that arrow, hotbar will be automatically renewed by another arrow as long as you have one.

You don't have to one arrow in each slot. Just put one arrow in Slot 1 and when you load that arrow, hotbar will be automatically renewed by another arrow as long as you have one.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me. Now after i logged back in om my character i cant even get the single arrow into each hotkey even works so i have to chamber them one by one. ive tried with bone arrows and crafted arrows.

Yeah that doesn't work. I don't know why people give advice when they don't know about these things themselves. If that still worked you wouldn't have made your post in the first place...

• Like 1

hmm but any idea how come when i fist made the character then, made the bow and arrows, and placed them into single slots, it would work to reload them through hotkeys, but after logging out then back in again, the hotkeys would not work?

hmm but any idea how come when i fist made the character then, made the bow and arrows, and placed them into single slots, it would work to reload them through hotkeys, but after logging out then back in again, the hotkeys would not work?

Because some hotkeys always get deleted after logging off. It drives me nuts too. When you use New UI you actually see the items are removed from the hotkeys and can/have to reassign them. Every time you log in you have to reassign some keys. At least in the next update, we'll see a much improved version of the new UI and these issues will hopefully be gone. It can still take a while, until bows are sorted out though. I expect this to happen, shortly after the introduced the compound bow, since its mechanics will be more advanced and probably be the base for the improvised bow then, too. 

Edited by S3V3N

So for now how do you suggest i counter this? because even when i reassign the hotkeys its to no effect. after ive logged back in the arrows does not respond when put in they hotkeys