Zurvivalist

Enough with the guns already....

I would also like it if they added more attachments to already existing firearms and such as new sights and whatnot

So, we keep getting new guns, vehicles, clothing, yet 99% of the other mechanics in-game have yet to be touched

-Crops still take only 20 minutes to grow

-99% of injuries can be instantly fixed via the application of a dirty rag

-diseases are barely a thing

-animals are literally stumblefucking stupid

-No real foraging mechanics (for food. Plenty of available food in South Zagoria)

- No shelterbuilding/stashes, just shitty tents and barrels

-"zombies" are basically an afterthought

- Temperature isn't even an issue

and many, many more. Yet, we are getting a helicopter and RPG, right?  :rolleyes:

So much for Day Z being a "survival game", much less the "anti-game" that was promised. I haven't died from starvation/dehydration/hypothermia in months. The only difficult aspect to the game is choosing which gun I want

So, we keep getting new guns, vehicles, clothing, yet 99% of the other mechanics in-game have yet to be touched

-No real foraging mechanics (for food. Plenty of available food in South Zagoria)

and many, many more. Yet, we are getting a helicopter and RPG, right?  :rolleyes:

So much for Day Z being a "survival game", much less the "anti-game" that was promised. I haven't died from starvation/dehydration/hypothermia in months. The only difficult aspect to the game is choosing which gun I want

DayZ will get to that point later in the beta stage when addition to the game is done. Thus when Beta stages starts they will no doubt change a lot of mechanics / systems in DayZ. It's not hard to understand that. 

Please keep in mind that even though items you mention (helicopter, rpg) are announced, it does not mean that development on the other of your points listed have come to a halt. As one of my brilliant colleagues once said, "first priorities are not always first deliverables" :)

• Like 2

99% of injuries being fixed by a rag is actually flat out wrong too.

Rags fix bleeding.  Splints and morphines fix: broken legs, broken arms, sprained/chipped ankles (ok those are just stages of broken but still).  If you count unconscious as an injury, epi pens, defibs etc come into play.  Salines and blood bags as well.

Rags fix the minority of injuries, it's just bleeding is usually the dominant one.

• Like 1

"first priorities are not always first deliverables" :)

I think a lot of people would appreciate this being explained in very plain English in a status report. It's not always fully understood why loot and weapons are often displayed in the reports and are quick to be injected into patches because the architecture is already implemented for that, while things such as new medical treatment mechanics, animations and map updates, etc. are not always visibly aesthetic (a picture of a gun is much more presentable than thousands of lines of code) and these sorts of changes to gameplay are going to take longer to release for various reasons.

Rather than just stating what the current workload is, perhaps explaining some of the concepts and ideas behind these things that the team is working towards might allay a lot of fears too. Just stating that the team is working on 'medical systems' doesn't really provide anything tangible for players. If instead, we had a basic outline of the overall concept (such as new ways of treating wounds and infections or different treatment regimes for different types of wounds, checking and re-dressing older wounds, longer healing times) then you'd generate a lot more understanding in the player base, and I think that extra information would lead to more players contributing ideas and suggestion or asking more directed questions, rather than broadcasting their fears of the game's future.

Edited by MrAerospace
  • Like 2

I think a lot of people would appreciate this being explained in very plain English in a status report. It's not always fully understood why loot and weapons are often displayed in the reports and are quick to be injected into patches because the architecture is already implemented for that, while things such as new medical treatment mechanics, animations and map updates, etc. are not always visibly aesthetic (a picture of a gun is much more presentable than thousands of lines of code) and these sorts of changes to gameplay are going to take longer to release for various reasons.

Rather than just stating what the current workload is, perhaps explaining some of the concepts and ideas behind these things that the team is working towards might allay a lot of fears too. Just stating that the team is working on 'medical systems' doesn't really provide anything tangible for players. If instead, we had a basic outline of the overall concept (such as new ways of treating wounds and infections or different treatment regimes for different types of wounds, checking and re-dressing older wounds, longer healing times) then you'd generate a lot more understanding in the player base, and I think that extra information would lead to more players contributing ideas and suggestion or asking more directed questions, rather than broadcasting their fears of the game's future.

Oh yes, this might very well be the way to go in the future once mechanics and features are further fleshed out to a point where it would not be necessary to update info on specific features regularly due to them changing over time for example.

• Like 2

Anyone else kinda getting tired of seeing these leaked info / pics / video clips of new guns to come ? 

I agree that EVENTUALLY it would be really nice to have many many firearms to choose from. Nothing wrong with verity . 

That being said... For Now.. i think we have enough to get by. 

What I would much rather start seeing is some actual work and releases of a larger variety of weapon choices .

We have Hunting rifles.. cool 

We have Assault rifles .. great

We got pistols covered.. awesome . 

Now lets start seeing some work go into 

Archery , Recurves, compounds.. 

Maybe a pistol crossbow ? 

Tasers, stun guns, and tranq dart guns ! Yea I seen the pics.. lets get them into testing already... 

Would really like to see some throwable spears, rocks, knives , all the can foods for that matter...

More explosives sometime soon. IED types. 

This is the type of things I want to see before we get anymore stupid firearms.. We dont need Rocket launchers right not , or LMGs . Save that crap for later.. 

Same goes for vehicles. 

I keep hearing people saying More types, 

We got 4 solid placeholder vehicles already , we don't need anymore 

Just get the motorcycle , and bike in and working as place holders for later additions, then get to work on boats and horses. 

Helicopters , airplanes .. imo can wait until later on . After the map upgrades and performance enhancements are finished maybe

Well. thats my little rant for the day , thanks for reading 

i think the basic problem there is that the art department, or whoever makes the gun models etc. for DayZ (i remember there being a company with a website showing off models) need to be kept fed, payed and busy, so just stopping to introduce guns and cars etc. won't speed up anything in the game development process

i think the basic problem there is that the art department, or whoever makes the gun models etc. for DayZ (i remember there being a company with a website showing off models) need to be kept fed, payed and busy, so just stopping to introduce guns and cars etc. won't speed up anything in the game development process

I'm sure its just the art dept work , more so than other departments. But would rather see something besides guns is all I'm saying. 

Let the art guys work on the survival models for a while or something.

There are a few things us campers would love to see added in. 

As an american , I love my guns just as much as the next guy. I own several. 

There are just tons of other things that could also be tossed in that would be quicker and just as nice to show off. 

I think also ,part of my annoyance is with the fact that all I keep seeing is shitty guns I dont personally want . or care about . 

I mean .. Where the fck is the shotgun love ? 

No Saigas , No bernelli m4s , no AA-12s the M14 !!!!! Dammit I want my M14 back ! 

Improvised FLAMETHROWERS ! 

Something cool. something different .. Not just , OH look ... ANOTHER assault rifle... yeah......

I have a map if you want it. Its still a WIP . But reliable 

You mean other than the one you posted in that heat map thread? Care to share it or PM it? I can also help with work. Yesterday I had my first honest-to-God deer hunt (017 043) and it was swell. A lot of work to be done, sure, but also a lot of work already there.

Anyone else kinda getting tired of seeing these leaked info / pics / video clips of new guns to come ? 

I agree that EVENTUALLY it would be really nice to have many many firearms to choose from. Nothing wrong with verity . 

That being said... For Now.. i think we have enough to get by. 

What I would much rather start seeing is some actual work and releases of a larger variety of weapon choices .

We have Hunting rifles.. cool 

We have Assault rifles .. great

We got pistols covered.. awesome . 

Now lets start seeing some work go into 

Archery , Recurves, compounds.. 

Maybe a pistol crossbow ? 

Tasers, stun guns, and tranq dart guns ! Yea I seen the pics.. lets get them into testing already... 

Would really like to see some throwable spears, rocks, knives , all the can foods for that matter...

More explosives sometime soon. IED types. 

This is the type of things I want to see before we get anymore stupid firearms.. We dont need Rocket launchers right not , or LMGs . Save that crap for later.. 

Same goes for vehicles. 

I keep hearing people saying More types, 

We got 4 solid placeholder vehicles already , we don't need anymore 

Just get the motorcycle , and bike in and working as place holders for later additions, then get to work on boats and horses. 

Helicopters , airplanes .. imo can wait until later on . After the map upgrades and performance enhancements are finished maybe

Well. thats my little rant for the day , thanks for reading 

Have you played arma 3 yet, Jon?

It has many assets to the game. If i predict what is happening here is a complete package like arma 3. They need to build assets for the game plan.

I wont pretend to know that's exactly the plan, as nobody has said anything yet. Road map was changed awhile back wasn't it?

For now, i would be ok with some extra ammo to test these guns out, and the ability to find them. Being so rare is not worth it for alpha testing phases. If someone isn't able to log on loot one up, and test it out then why make it so rare?

We do need to fully test products out with different types of problems, like painting, detecting parts, and the list goes on. Since it is alpha we should have no reason to be as restricted, as we are.

I've always said that since the older patches. Prior to a new engine. We shouldn't be so restricted. Modding is going to happen regardless if they make it hardcore. Scripts will make the server exactly what it is. So making it so uber hardcore rare doesn't make sense at this point.

If jon wants to go hunting, he shouldn't be restricted carrying a hunters backpack, Hunters rifle with scope, and a good amount of ammo. We all have been there searching houses for so long it does get repetitive now. The team can always make the official servers hardcore, all they want around beta.

Have you played arma 3 yet, Jon?

It has many assets to the game. If i predict what is happening here is a complete package like arma 3. They need to build assets for the game plan.

I wont pretend to know that's exactly the plan, as nobody has said anything yet. Road map was changed awhile back wasn't it?

For now, i would be ok with some extra ammo to test these guns out, and the ability to find them. Being so rare is not worth it for alpha testing phases. If someone isn't able to log on loot one up, and test it out then why make it so rare?

We do need to fully test products out with different types of problems, like painting, detecting parts, and the list goes on. Since it is alpha we should have no reason to be as restricted, as we are.

I've always said that since the older patches. Prior to a new engine. We shouldn't be so restricted. Modding is going to happen regardless if they make it hardcore. Scripts will make the server exactly what it is. So making it so uber hardcore rare doesn't make sense at this point.

If jon wants to go hunting, he shouldn't be restricted carrying a hunters backpack, Hunters rifle with scope, and a good amount of ammo. We all have been there searching houses for so long it does get repetitive now. The team can always make the official servers hardcore, all they want around beta.

yup, at the very least the Exp. servers should have a way higher occurrence of "new stuff"

• Like 1

Oh yes, this might very well be the way to go in the future once mechanics and features are further fleshed out to a point where it would not be necessary to update info on specific features regularly due to them changing over time for example.

And another reason to explain what you need everyone to test out and report bugs on?

Without full knowledge what you need done, we will never know. Playing a half made game at this point is not really that good for us. Some do it for the testing to keep moving forward while others just play the game like a finished game. Its perfectly ok to do both, but we still should all be notified of whats going on, and what you expect us to test this round of patches.

See what we need to do??

You mean other than the one you posted in that heat map thread? Care to share it or PM it? I can also help with work. Yesterday I had my first honest-to-God deer hunt (017 043) and it was swell. A lot of work to be done, sure, but also a lot of work already there.

send me a pm and I'll add you to the dayztv squad map 

Thank you !  I could not agree more. Every week i get a new rocket launcher photo. IT'S ENOUGH.... Add a zippo lighter or something , Not RPG's . It's bad enough there adding a heli and bike. I think next well have a few battle ships and submarines added :)

what is wrong with bicycles? they do not need gas, and are far easier to maintain than cars...

• Like 1

ColdAtrophy contacted me regarding the horses and dogs since they don't feature on the updated roadmap. So, the status is that the dogs and horses will not be part of the beta release. I could imagine that the decision has been made due to there already being plenty of work to be done on other more important parts of DayZ.

• Like 2

Can you tell us if devs are working on new cars? We saw motor bike and bicycle. I miss all those crapy, slow and ugly cars from mod.

No horses? boooooo!  BOOoo!

I'm a bit more upset about no dogs. There will be plenty of other ways to travel. I was excited about the prospect of training a dog to hunt game, sniff out specific items or stashes, or perform takedowns and holds on other players. They fit the regression of civilization theme of DayZ so spectacularly.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed by what people suggest to add or remove from Dayz. Who here has ever lived through an apocalypse?

Cars should be harder? It already takes a squad to gather parts and tires for cars, trucks or buses. Unless you run with a large squad, it will take you days to get parts together assuming the parts you've stored haven't despawned in the meantime. 

I trust the devs to do a good job. Players? Not so much. 

5 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

I'm always amazed by what people suggest to add or remove from Dayz. Who here has ever lived through an apocalypse?

Cars should be harder? It already takes a squad to gather parts and tires for cars, trucks or buses. Unless you run with a large squad, it will take you days to get parts together assuming the parts you've stored haven't despawned in the meantime. 

I trust the devs to do a good job. Players? Not so much. 

There's a thing in game dev about the fact that when players tell you something is wrong, they are often right. However, under no circumstances should you listen to their suggestions on how to fix it. They are almost invariably wrong.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2016 at 9:22 PM, MrAerospace said:

As strongly as I favour open communication, the first time someone reports that they "...wrote a thousand lines of code yesterday, then spent all of today fixing syntax typos in yesterday's code," someone with a personality disorder and too much free time is going to come here and be Upset On The Internet (patent pending) and call for his job to be axed. Too much detail will draw attention to discontinuity in a system some inexperienced people believe must be consistent.

• Like 1

I stopped by.. was going to point out where we are in development of the game and discuss alpha/beta and how things get produced within a video game during those times..

But nah.. you guys are having too much fun here. Carry on. 

Don't like guns - go buy farming simulator.

I'm a bit more upset about no dogs. There will be plenty of other ways to travel. I was excited about the prospect of training a dog to hunt game, sniff out specific items or stashes, or perform takedowns and holds on other players. They fit the regression of civilization theme of DayZ so spectacularly.

Takedowns were always a big no. The devs have said that combat like grappling, backstabbing, throatslitting, or other shit which limits movement of others like that will never be in the game.

Edited by nexdemise