Ranwer135

ArmA 2/3 Veteran. Any Tips?

G'day guys,

My name is Rawner135, I am a veteran of ArmA 2 and 3 and currently giving DayZ a go (Also community modder for some big mods). For the past month, I have been enjoying the new experience of surviving in its Standalone, and so far it is looking great. But since I already know Chernarrus like the palm of my hand, is there any pro (already know the general ones) tips you guys might want to share? :)

Cheers!

Rawner135

Edited by Ranwer
  • Like 2

Welcome to Dayz ;)

I played a lot of Arma II myself and the map is really different in some aspects. First of all it is larger and the new towns in the north are probably the nicest ones created for the game. Then there are places that are nice to explore once, but don't offer a lot of gameplay options at the moment (Rify/ship and Prison Island). Apart from that, there are some nice buildings that aren't in the Arma series (School - looks nicer than the ones in the mod/e.g. Taviana; Clocktower in Novodmitrovsk). 

The game currently consists of three zones, so you will find different loot, depending on weather you are closer to the airfield or to the coast. It's quite interesting to find out where some items start spawning and learn where to find things you need. Overall this system isn't really that diverse yet, but you'll still find a few nice things.

I like the hiking paths in Dayz. There are actually some maps online (there is a group on Steam for hiking routes), but generally the paths are bald patches in the forest or the meadows, which are usually a bit brighter than their surrounding. They are particularly fun to explore with the 4x4 Lada Niva, but if you follow them on foot, you might see some nice places, too. It's more for the lonewolf though, as you won't often meet other people. 

Hiking paths will usually take you to holiday camps or lakes/rivers and the likes. Holiday camps are new in the game and I've found gas cookers there more often than elsewhere. Apart from that they have no real use, but it's nice to find them all. 

Finally, the hunting is pretty cool, if you're into that kind of thing. Sneak up to a group of animals (deer, cow, sheep, fox, chicken, domestic pig, wild-pig, rabbit) or startle one of the smaller ones as you walk by and be quick enough to shoot it. Chicken feathers and bones can also be used to craft arrows with a stick. The bigger animals will give you fur, which you can tan into leather, using fertilizer inside a barrel. (Fertilizer can also be made inside barrels from plant material - which you gte by growing veggies and guts from the animals you skinned for their fur); fertilizer isn't that hard to find though. You can also craft a sling trap and catch a rabbit, but that is not really exciting to do ;) it happens when you wait at ~150 m distance from the trap.

In the small apartment houses you can find three kinds of tents: military, car, civilian. In combination with the barrels that already gives a decent option for creating camps. I usually find tents in the medium size apartment houses in the north; the smaller settlements seem to have more tents than the big cities.

And if that isn't enough you can craft a fishing rod and bait (worms can be dug up from the ground with a knife, or found when you make a garden patch) then you fish and cut up the fish and either boil it in a pan/cookingpot and with the help of a stone oven (crafted), a tripod and pot, a camping gas cooker, or on a makeshift hobo stove, crafted from a barrel (punch holes in it with an axe or knife). You can also use a long stick from cutting a tree to grill the meat/fish individually; just be carefully, currently the stick will go on your back and your axe goes in your hands and on the ground when you putit away. Make sure to check for your axe after cutting trees. 

There is a lot more survival in Dayz SA than in the mods, and I hope you'll enjoy some of it. When it rains, make sure to wear rainproof clothing or go inside. If you got wet, it's best to make a fire and get dry. Sorry, these may not all be pro-tips, but since you're a bit new I thought it couldn't hurt sharing.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

And if that isn't enough you can craft a fishing rod and bait (worms can be dug up from the ground with a knife, or found when you make a garden patch) then you fish and cut up the fish and either boil it in a pan/cookingpot and with the help of a stone oven (crafted), a tripod and pot, a camping gas cooker, or on a makeshift hobo stove, crafted from a barrel (punch holes in it with an axe or knife). You can also use a long stick from cutting a tree to grill the meat/fish individually; just be carefully, currently the stick will go on your back and your axe goes in your hands and on the ground when you putit away. Make sure to check for your axe after cutting trees. 

you can dig for worms with a knife?  totally did not know that.  beans to you, sir

you can dig for worms with a knife?  totally did not know that.  beans to you, sir

Rly? You did not know that? OMG you are so active here... I Can't believe that. :o

Rly? You did not know that? OMG you are so active here... I Can't believe that. :o

I took a couple of breaks here and there

izurvive.com, is one

Searching others posts is most likely your best best, as information keeps changing.

Wiki sites, experimental posts.

Otherwise its pretty much 1 shot 1 kill in some cases and watch your back all times. High military zones are filled with all sorts of dangers.

Stone knife is the most powerful tool. You can do pretty much anything with it. Craft ropes with 2x6 rags (just rip the clothes you find with the stone knife), collect sticks from the ground and find a burlap sack. That way you get a nice backpack. Though you likely already knew that.

I haven't really find any activities. I'm usually just going around and climb in every radio/watchtower, relax and enjoy the beauty of the game.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Cheers for the info and tips, guys! I have followed your advice and managed to find some deadly gear (including a smoking crash site with an M4 and grenade). I also discovered that you can find feathers in chicken pens. I also found out that you can mend normal backpacks and armoured vests (including the press vest) with a leather sewing kit. :)

Although, I find it strange why some powerful weapons get spawned in a few civilian buildings? But I guess this may be fixed with more rarity.

And finally, does anyone know where vehicles tend to spawn mostly? I would love to find and repair a rusty car/truck with custom parts. :D

• Like 1

And finally, does anyone know where vehicles tend to spawn mostly? I would love to find and repair a rusty car/truck with custom parts. :D

Vehicles are really hard to find at their spawnpoints, because they tend to not get destroyed and sit around wrecked in some god forsaken part of the map forever. I found a bus at the holiday camp north of Chernogorsk/south of Mogilveka and buses are often found around the coast. I haven't found any cars at their old spawns lately, so I don't want to give you false advice on that. Buses - though a pain in the arse - are one of the most fun things to drive for me. But the 4x4 is probably the best car in the game. I'm really excited about the dirtbike and once that works, I can't wait to drive around in a biker gang and climb all those hiking paths with the motorbike.

One thing that's helpful is that you can drive a car when you put just two wheels on it, diagonally (e.g. front left and rear right). That saves you from the hassle of finding all four wheels and running to and from some ass of the world location. Once you get to a city, you can find the other wheels easily. Also, the 4x4 can take a spare wheel into the engine compartment,which is helpful; just drag it in the inventory to where the other wheels are and a prompt will pop up to "add as attachment". Q is to shift down E to shift up. The vehicles have four gears, neutral and one reverse.

Edited by S3V3N

On 1/19/2016 at 7:47 AM, Rawner said:

G'day guys,

My name is Rawner135, I am a veteran of ArmA 2 and 3 and currently giving DayZ a go (Also community modder for some big mods). For the past month, I have been enjoying the new experience of surviving in its Standalone, and so far it is looking great. But since I already know Chernarrus like the palm of my hand, is there any pro (already know the general ones) tips you guys might want to share? :)

Cheers!

Rawner135

I have only one piece of advice for you my friend....

TRUST NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by GuyRandomMan
spelling mistakes