Outroduce

Nights are way too bright.

Currently, nights are way too bright hence the need for artificial light source is almost non-existent. You can see almost as good as during daytime. That's how dead of night looks like, no moon:

AnAeSIP.jpg

I really miss the old, pitch black nights where you could not see the tip of your finger. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I agree. . But until there is some kind of gamma limit/autobalancer of light for ALL computers, players will utilize the gamma/brightness feature to make it unrealistic.

Honestly, I'd prefer there to be even dark ass places in the day time - Inside buildings for instance. Real lighting would be amazing.

Currently, nights are way too bright hence the need for artificial light source is almost non-existent. You can see almost as good as during daytime. That's how dead of night looks like, no moon:

AnAeSIP.jpg

I really miss the old, pitch black nights where you could not see the tip of your finger. What do you guys think?

you have clouds disabled.  enable clouds and that bright sky turns mostly black and you can't see most of the horizon and power lines - the things a lot of people navigate by.  feels a lot more like you're stumbling around in the dark.

but yeah, it's only practical when you're alone on the server.  with the gamma exploit you'd be making yourself a blind guy in a world full of bandits who can see just fine.

Edited by Red_Ensign

Yea you definitely have some settings off , my nights are Incredibly dark , and arguably where they should be (if people couldn't fiddle with gamma and brightness in game).

Yea you definitely have some settings off , my nights are Incredibly dark , and arguably where they should be (if people couldn't fiddle with gamma and brightness in game).

I turned clouds on and set them to very high, brightness is pretty much the same as it was before.

JzC9OAA.jpg

Edited by Outroduce

Also, if you read the status report (from 15.01), you see that real-sky is one of the things worked on. Among other things that means we'll actually have realistic representation of the light hitting objects, based on the sky colors and brightness/darkness value. This will also help with bringing out the material quality and the actual object colors much better. It also means a lot of light sources that have been set up in the editor (invisible to the player) can be deleted and this will possibly improve performance a bit. I'm thinking that when the game hits beta and the High Dynamic Range lighting is fully functional, they will probably remove the ability to manipulate gamma and there will still be proper lighting with much better quality than now.

Now it is a mathematical approximation, but with HDRI the lighting will be photo-realistic and physically correct. Which means it will be dark at night, but through reflections from physically based materials (PBR), we'll be able to identify objects/materials and see better+more than now - despite it looking darker. It should also help with indoors lighting, making them much more varied in darkness than now. Nights are one of the things to be excited about! Already, I like the sunset and the game has its moments of sheer beauty, but in a month or two we'll start seeing the real thing. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

Like it or not, dark nights means people will put up gamma and brightness. With the nights so bright the devs effectively turned up everyone's gamma and brightness. Better the full moon and playable default brightness than pitch black nights and everyone a gamma bandit IMO.

• Like 1

I carry around a gas lamp and use it on occasion, at night you can miss a lot of loot, even with the habit of constantly using the vicinity screen. But I agree with the OP, nights are too bright right now. I'd rather go back to very dark nights even at the risk of being the only one actually using a light source.

Also, some kind of night vision would make things more equal for those who shun the gamma abuse. As it is right now, I don't drive or visit hot areas at all in the nighttime.

I'm nearly positive the devs stated they did this consciously until they can create a better night experience, which is hopefully coming with the new renderer.

• Like 3

If you aren't playing with the gamma and brightness, its seriously dark.

I'll be honest though, I blast the gamma and brightness like a mother!

• Like 1

If they make it too dark people won't play at night as they can't see anything and will be at a disadvantage if someone has NVG, if we're getting those that is. I do like sneaking around at night but recently haven't found any servers that have a night cycle

• Like 1

Like it or not, dark nights means people will put up gamma and brightness. With the nights so bright the devs effectively turned up everyone's gamma and brightness. Better the full moon and playable default brightness than pitch black nights and everyone a gamma bandit IMO.

Yup always been an issue. Someone goes out and buys a super gamma monitor for gaming and they out perform everyone else.

Not worth trying to worry about the base game for this. It would be best to allow moders to fix their own servers and try to enforce it. I doubt it will ever happen nobody will play fairly due to losing gear too quickly.

Forget you even brought up the topic because they cant override the system. Monitors have too many adjustments now.

Mines asus gaming monitor and i used to fix my gamma for AAPG. Sometimes it was dark where others could see me so i corrected that, so i could see them in the dark

Edited by TheSneakyDude

Also, if you read the status report (from 15.01), you see that real-sky is one of the things worked on. Among other things that means we'll actually have realistic representation of the light hitting objects, based on the sky colors and brightness/darkness value. This will also help with bringing out the material quality and the actual object colors much better. It also means a lot of light sources that have been set up in the editor (invisible to the player) can be deleted and this will possibly improve performance a bit. I'm thinking that when the game hits beta and the High Dynamic Range lighting is fully functional, they will probably remove the ability to manipulate gamma and there will still be proper lighting with much better quality than now.

Now it is a mathematical approximation, but with HDRI the lighting will be photo-realistic and physically correct. Which means it will be dark at night, but through reflections from physically based materials (PBR), we'll be able to identify objects/materials and see better+more than now - despite it looking darker. It should also help with indoors lighting, making them much more varied in darkness than now. Nights are one of the things to be excited about! Already, I like the sunset and the game has its moments of sheer beauty, but in a month or two we'll start seeing the real thing. 

I hope they'll introduce lighting system similair to Arma 3's one. Depending on the date, nights are failry bright or completely pitch black where light source is indispensable, that is what I would like to see in DayZ.

Night used to look a whole lot darker, but people moaned and groaned about having to use their flashlight/chemlight ect. (Shocker right?) and thus, the dev's caved and gave the whiners what they wanted...

Now night, is as you said, far too bright, and really just looks grey, and crap...

If they make it too dark people won't play at night as they can't see anything and will be at a disadvantage if someone has NVG, if we're getting those that is. I do like sneaking around at night but recently haven't found any servers that have a night cycle

If you don't mind private hive ASTRO server runs a full day and  night cycle. Some of my friends don't like it cause they can't get on til late and it is already dark but I like it for the more authentic feel. Having played several nights in nothing but night you learn how to hide from even the gamma tricks. 

I personally miss the pitch black of the mod, and even kind of hope they don't bring NVG's back. I was personally hoping the helicopter wouldn't return either. Keeping fine tuned equipment like those running in an a zombie wasteland would take serious training and skills that most survivors wouldn't have but that's just my two cents.

I think really cold nights would be awesome too, once the sun goes down needing not only light but warmth would create light sources from fires and torches. It would also mean that anyone not ready for the night would have to find shelter create a heat source.  

A trick we've used for a long time is if you're going against someone in the dark and they're using the gamma trick is create a lot of light really fast, its nearly blinding for them and turns their dirty trick into a hindrance. a few road flares and a couple in the sky makes it nearly impossible for them to see you, giving you a moment to kill them while they change their settings or disappear in a hasty retreat while they scramble to get out of the light.

I agree. . But until there is some kind of gamma limit/autobalancer of light for ALL computers, players will utilize the gamma/brightness feature to make it unrealistic.

That moment when your monitor has dedicated gamma settings plus adaptive contrast and brightness that adjusts to what's on screen. You can't stop me. 

Edited by General Zod