Zurvivalist

Indoor zombies

Kinda getting bored of scoping out a town , and being able to clear the infected long before i get with in possibly detection range of them . 

Was thinking.. Why not leave a few silent sleepers inside the houses.. 

Ones that didn't move or make noise until you ran up on them and caught aggro. 

And add a lot more of the ones that crawl to high grass areas to sneak up on people maybe a couple just laying dormant in ponds with just their head at the edge of the water.  

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

Definitely been said before, but yes, I want this very badly.

I think it'd be better off if there were simply corpses all over. . Some in the roads. . Some in the ditches. And even in buildings. These 'Sleepers' could wake out of that bunch randomly and charge you. The atmospheric horror that would bring would be amazing.

It's in my suggestion list also.

ok they can be inside but if they crap on the carpet once they go out again

• Like 1

On 1/17/2016 at 10:59 PM, Espa said:

Definitely been said before, but yes, I want this very badly.

I think it'd be better off if there were simply corpses all over. . Some in the roads. . Some in the ditches. And even in buildings. These 'Sleepers' could wake out of that bunch randomly and charge you. The atmospheric horror that would bring would be amazing.

It's in my suggestion list also.

^ This is pretty much what needs to happen and one day (not soon) we could more than likely have it.

Even if it did happen I would say starting off with just having zombies spawn in houses that don't do anything until you enter (i.e ignore gun shots) could be the first iteration of this idea. The sleeping zombies or in this case the deep sleep zombies

I see infected wander into structures all the time.

With more spawning in will come more chances to find them concealed.

• Like 1

A good example of sleeper zombies were the ones in resident evil that looked like some normal dead bodies and then jumped up to bite you that was scary as shit back in the day and then shit got more scary when they added those crimson head zombies in the resident evil remake you come back into the hallway of zombies you already killed thinking its safe then the bodies jump up and start chasing you.

RE_ZombieWakeup.gif

27 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The infected still are not "undead".

Pretty much.

Keeping that in mind, I fail to see how or why, exactly, they would lay down and wait for the players to enter a room.

• Like 1

Ok, so the zombies lying down and re-animating as players walk past is beyond the lore of the game, but the whole 'indoor zed' is still a valid argument.
Let's say they are living creatures. Wouldn't it be reasonable for them to take shelter?
And, they are predators too, so wouldn't it be even more reasonable for them to lay in ambush, waiting for their unsuspecting prey to wander by in the darkness?

Like Biohaze said: they do occasionally wander into the buildings and with more of them around and updated AI, this is bound to happen more often. They just stand around in the buildings though, so this is where OP's original idea would fit in. They could have activity cycles, like wandering, tracking/hunting, listening/smelling, resting/sitting/sleeping, which leads to more realistic behaviour and interaction with environments. 

I think Dayz always stayed away from the horror-scares of i.e. Resident Evil, because the game is not looking to create shock moments; it focuses more on survival than on horror elements. That makes it hard at the moment for the infected to appear threatening enough. I'm pretty sure this will all change this year, as the whole infected-AI is getting rescripted. I think they'll add more interesting behaviour patterns then.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrAerospace said:

Ok, so the zombies lying down and re-animating as players walk past is beyond the lore of the game, but the whole 'indoor zed' is still a valid argument.
Let's say they are living creatures. Wouldn't it be reasonable for them to take shelter?
And, they are predators too, so wouldn't it be even more reasonable for them to lay in ambush, waiting for their unsuspecting prey to wander by in the darkness?

Take shelter? Yes, of course. However, while they were in shelter, I would expect them to be actually, you know, resting. "Living humans" and all. 

Yes, predators do ambush their prey (sometimes, and it depends on the predator), but that generally entails they know the prey is coming. Remember, the "zombies" are literally just "regular" people infected with a degenerative brain disease, and until we get told otherwise, they have literally the same sense-capability as "regular humans" ( I would argue that they have less, due to brain damage, but that is just my headcanon). So, no "night-vision", "super-hearing", "super-smell", or anything like that, until we get told otherwise.

Nope, Totally agree with you. But for the sake of argument, let's say they zed's now shelter in buildings...if a player is stealthy and careful, they can enter the building without setting them off, and can ambush the zed. However, if they rush through as always, making a shit ton of noise and generally not even checking their surroundings...then zombie is alerted and is ready to ambush the player instead.

I was thinking about sleeping infected and found this thread, so bump time.

Since they are just infected people they will get tired and lay down or sleep, but since they are people infected with the crazy it could be anywhere. Therefore as you are creeping through some bushes in a town you have the chance of walking right up on a sleeper. Yes this would give you a shock like resident evil, but that would be in line with this type of survival setting.