Sign in to follow this  
Me1andMe2

I dont like the heli crashsite system and think it's flawed

First let me say that I am talking about private full pop server since going low pop server hoping is basically circumventing the system.

Second I think the goal of the system was to

• Make super rare weapons

• Give a reason to round around the map

• Make random exploring rewarding

• Create dynamic battlefields

and I think it fails in nearly all of them and let me explain why.

"Make super rare weapons"
Now I gotta admit it this system does make some weapons very rare but I think it overdid and does it in the worst way. It takes me on average about 10 hours to find a single heli crash site weapon. That’s far to long for what they offer and is not worth it if you just want good gear for pvp, an akm ak and mosin or winchester is not that much worse than a what the helis have to offer. Then there is the problem of the randomness, just let me list how much you have to gamble if you want a certain weapon:

1. Find one of the few Heli sites

2. Be the first one there

3. Get the right heli type

4. Get the right weapon

4 steps that dont have good odds and you have to fulfill all of them. If you are unlucky you might never find a certain weapon even if you put hundreds of hours into it. I dont see how the game profits from such a randomness.

"Give a reason to round around the map"
Would have worked if not a majority of the crash sites would have been located around military areas. There are only a few desolate crash sites that are in areas you would never visit if not for heli loot. I am of course aware that if they were spread further the loot would have become even more harder to get but this could have been compensated

"Make random exploring rewarding"
Just wandering off and luckily finding a heli is possible but very very slim or to be more precise finding a heli who has still loot is very slim. Loot doesent re-spawn so you have to be first. This means that people will constantly search them so you probably will only be the first if you are lucky enough to have a heli spawn right in front of you.

"Create dynamic battlefields"
I have found countless looted helis and also a fair amount of not looted ones yet I never had a fight at these sites (note I'm playing on full pop server). There are 2 simple reasons for this. First the helis despawn pretty quick and second nobody stays and waits because they dont respawn loot. As a bonus the heli farm route (excluding the airfield) is pretty safe. Much wood and cover and there are multiple ways. I also have never encountered another heli runner - its safe and pretty boring.

To sum it up

In my experience the heli crash sites do nothing but hide more and more weapons from the players. If you have only a little of time available you can completely forget going for them and if you want the maximum action you also should forget them. The only reason is if you are a completionist and have a lots of spare time and dont want to fight. 
My biggest problem is though how more and more weapons become added to this system which just turns it it into a big gamble and if you want to try a weapon or have a favourite you are just screwed and nobody really gains anything from this system

Overall I dont like it. Whats your thoughts?

• Like 1

First let me say that I am talking about private full pop server since going low pop server hoping is basically circumventing the system.

I agree

Second I think the goal of the system was to ( I also agree )

and I think it fails in nearly all of them I disagree 

Now I gotta admit it this system does make some weapons very rare but I think it overdid and does it in the worst way.  That’s far too long for what they offer and is not worth it if you just want good gear for pvp,AH see here is where your first confusion begins. DayZ is not JUST a pvp run and gun game. Your not suppose to have top end pvp gear right out of the gate. By allowing this , all the Devs would be doing is encouraging More of that play style. It suppose to be ( and will eventually be) a survival game , with pvp elements. The chance for pvp is suppose to be just another risk to your survival , not your primary focus.. 

if you put hundreds of hours into it. I dont see how the game profits from such a randomness. Thats actually the point.. Rare things are suppose to be rare..In my opinion , the eventual goal is to make things like Heli crashes not something you can go "hunt for " but will just be that rare thing you randomly encounter while out doing other stuff, ( this is what DayZ was truly awesome for) Those random things that leave you with stories to tell your friends about. As it is right now. Is kinda lame.. within a few hours all the PvPers have matching cooky cutter gear loadouts. You see PvE survivalist deer hunting with fully decked out M4s.. Whats next ? Fishing with grenades ? 

If the goal is long term survival , and you had to live for a week with nothing but a bow before finding any working gun ammo combo , You would not just to such a hurry to go get killed in pvp. 

They are trying to find a balance between the PvP and the PvE players, cater too much to either and you ruin the game for the other side. 

Would have worked if not a majority of the crash sites would have been located around military areas. Eventually they will spread out over the entire map. Right now they are only on the west side , just to make them easy to find for testing. It currently only takes a hour or so to run the spawn points and check all the spots. Will become even faster with cars and later Helis . Eventually they will add spawn points out to the east and north sides of the map, imagine the fun when we have a hundred or more spawn points and only one or two set to spawn in every few hours , 

Again,, not suppose to "hunt them " I think you're eventually just suppose to randomly get lucky and find one. Right now its just a matter of perspective .. 

I have found countless looted helis and also a fair amount of not looted ones yet I never had a fight at these sites Your very lucky , I have killed many people at heli sites, especially the smokers.  On a full pop server , If i find one , and it has nothing good, I'll camp it for a little while, And kill who ever comes up to check it . Which increases my odds of returning to camp with better items .. One way or another every heli can pay off . 

Edited by J0nathan
  • Like 1

OP I think you are overthinking it. If you want to be a serious heli hunter (and I am, pretty serious), the following things apply:

1. You will run into others and get into fights if you play on high pops. A lot.

2. It takes real stamina and determination

3. You will probably get into trading (most serious traders are well into hunting crash sites)

I think it's working pretty well in 0.59, apart from the fact that M4s are not spawning, and the occasional anti-immersive disappearance of a crashed helicopter in front of your eyes... More people are doing it now because they (thankfully) can't really farm the huts as they did in 0.58.

• Like 1

Only real change I'd like is the sites to be completely random instead of preset locations.

• Like 4

OP I think you are overthinking it. If you want to be a serious heli hunter (and I am, pretty serious), the following things apply:

1. You will run into others and get into fights if you play on high pops. A lot.

3. You will probably get into trading (most serious traders are well into hunting crash sites)

I think it's working pretty well in 0.59, apart from the fact that M4s are not spawning, and the occasional anti-immersive disappearance of a crashed helicopter in front of your eyes... More people are doing it now because they (thankfully) can't really farm the huts as they did in 0.58.

I've seen people with FAL's and m4's in .59.  Although very few.  What would I have to trade you to get an m4 or a FAL?

I've seen people with FAL's and m4's in .59.  Although very few.  What would I have to trade you to get an m4 or a FAL?

I have a FAL but I'm keeping it as I like it (a lot). Whole other dispute going on about whether M4s are spawning. I certainly haven't seen any, and none have been traded in 0.59...

Love these kind of statements. Where is the proof that it was an M4? You realize M4 and AUG sound pretty close right?

And FALs, SVDs, VSS, Augs and UMPs are everywhere. These are all "super rare" guns, but its the nature of the dayz community.

Duping wont be fully out of the game anytime soon unless public servers will be stripped of their restart function - which should be the case and could already be, as forced restart are not necessary for anything really other than resetting your death or some stuck car - or duping.

• Like 1

Love these kind of statements. Where is the proof that it was an M4? You realize M4 and AUG sound pretty close right?

And FALs, SVDs, VSS, Augs and UMPs are everywhere. These are all "super rare" guns, but its the nature of the dayz community.

Duping wont be fully out of the game anytime soon unless public servers will be stripped of their restart function - which should be the case and could already be, as forced restart are not necessary for anything really other than resetting your death or some stuck car - or duping.

You sound like you know a lot about duping...  I've found a fair amount of FAL, VSS, SVD, and an AUG and a UMP so far in the past week since I started playing on stable.  Absolutely none of them were duped, all from helicopters.  I don't really think that they are that rare right now; might be related to their newness.  You sure sound like you know a lot about duping...

Oh come on emu, gawd damn it man, everyone knows about duping by now. Why do you presume things like this, the stupid programming bugs forcefully do duping all the time.

The only thing we didn't have then was the dev's holding up their arms showing us how its done.

If your presuming hes part of some cult...... just wow...... Hes expressing his opinions not telling you how to dupe. Even if he did its nothing new.

Everyone knows what it is, and how it was done. BI fixed some of it, but it wasn't enough. The restart feature is being abused daily.

We try and report those servers, along with the ones kicking to farm and or dupe the loot. The Server companies will do nothing about them. We say they are gone? but they are not, they let their server $$$ lapse. Its a rinse and repeat system.

Now its time it gets fixed, in its due course.

"my shit don't stink or something"

• Like 3

if you don't have time to find it yourself, trade for it

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172229-trading-post/

Trading when playing on privat servers is rough :/

I agree

Second I think the goal of the system was to ( I also agree )

and I think it fails in nearly all of them I disagree 

Now I gotta admit it this system does make some weapons very rare but I think it overdid and does it in the worst way.  That’s far too long for what they offer and is not worth it if you just want good gear for pvp,AH see here is where your first confusion begins. DayZ is not JUST a pvp run and gun game. Your not suppose to have top end pvp gear right out of the gate. By allowing this , all the Devs would be doing is encouraging More of that play style. It suppose to be ( and will eventually be) a survival game , with pvp elements. The chance for pvp is suppose to be just another risk to your survival , not your primary focus.. 

if you put hundreds of hours into it. I dont see how the game profits from such a randomness. Thats actually the point.. Rare things are suppose to be rare..In my opinion , the eventual goal is to make things like Heli crashes not something you can go "hunt for " but will just be that rare thing you randomly encounter while out doing other stuff, ( this is what DayZ was truly awesome for) Those random things that leave you with stories to tell your friends about. As it is right now. Is kinda lame.. within a few hours all the PvPers have matching cooky cutter gear loadouts. You see PvE survivalist deer hunting with fully decked out M4s.. Whats next ? Fishing with grenades ? 

If the goal is long term survival , and you had to live for a week with nothing but a bow before finding any working gun ammo combo , You would not just to such a hurry to go get killed in pvp. 

They are trying to find a balance between the PvP and the PvE players, cater too much to either and you ruin the game for the other side. 

Would have worked if not a majority of the crash sites would have been located around military areas. Eventually they will spread out over the entire map. Right now they are only on the west side , just to make them easy to find for testing. It currently only takes a hour or so to run the spawn points and check all the spots. Will become even faster with cars and later Helis . Eventually they will add spawn points out to the east and north sides of the map, imagine the fun when we have a hundred or more spawn points and only one or two set to spawn in every few hours , 

Again,, not suppose to "hunt them " I think you're eventually just suppose to randomly get lucky and find one. Right now its just a matter of perspective .. 

I have found countless looted helis and also a fair amount of not looted ones yet I never had a fight at these sites Your very lucky , I have killed many people at heli sites, especially the smokers.  On a full pop server , If i find one , and it has nothing good, I'll camp it for a little while, And kill who ever comes up to check it . Which increases my odds of returning to camp with better items .. One way or another every heli can pay off . 

Thanks for you feedback and you have some nice points however many of them aim at or talk about a game we wont see for a long time. There is sadly no real point in trying to discuss how things work out when the game completly changes so I can only really talk about the game how it currently is. However I want to stress here again how more and more weapons become added to the crash sites. Is it really needed that so many weapons spawn in this manner? I would understand it if it is for really game changin things like the guilli but for these weapons that are just a tad better than the rest. Would the game really be worse if the helis would only spawn m4 and svds (just exmaples) and the rest would be moved to the military locations?

Btw how in the world do you run all the spots in 1 hour it takes me far more time (by foot)

1) As said not a single fight despite running the route a lot of time. Maybe I am just too carefull or extremly lucky.

2) It takes consecutive time. If I spent 1 hour each day for 100 days my chances are far worse than 10 hours for 10 days. And thats a problem since some people simply cant sink in that much time per day/playtime

Thanks for you feedback and you have some nice points however many of them aim at or talk about a game we wont see for a long time. There is sadly no real point in trying to discuss how things work out when the game completely changes so I can only really talk about the game how it currently is. However I want to stress here again how more and more weapons become added to the crash sites. Is it really needed that so many weapons spawn in this manner? I would understand it if it is for really game changing things like the guilli but for these weapons that are just a tad better than the rest. Would the game really be worse if the helis would only spawn m4 and svds (just examples) and the rest would be moved to the military locations?

Not meaning to ring this old bell again. But the game is currently simply in alpha , which means its all about the testing.. They simply add in new stuff, put forth a little effort into maintaining some sorts of playable balance. And go back to testing and adding in more stuff . Making things fun/playable/balanced is a priority  but only in so much as to keep people online long enough to get the needed testing done. 

Btw how in the world do you run all the spots in 1 hour it takes me far more time (by foot)

Travel fast, travel light , and know the paths to take 

`

The fact that he was carrying one right in front of me told me that they were spawning.  Oh yeah, the fact that when I questioned if it was indeed an m4 and he said "yes" was the other confirming factor.  Next time I'll make sure to take a screenshot for you my dear.

I asked him to confirm because I had not seen an m4 at all (this patch) and still had not seen an FAL at that time either.  I hope this clears it up for you.

Edited by schwaBAM

Only real change I'd like is the sites to be completely random instead of preset locations.

The idea is great, there should be no "heli routes". Then again, imagine the graphic mess if the heli spawns inmidst of a town or the frustration when the wrecks shows up on the ocean. So randomness has its limit ... but the randomness idea is good.

The idea is great, there should be no "heli routes". Then again, imagine the graphic mess if the heli spawns inmidst of a town or the frustration when the wrecks shows up on the ocean. So randomness has its limit ... but the randomness idea is good.

It would be far more preferable they were able to make helis spawn in any random place, except for certain exceptions: where there are buildings, steep slopes, cliffs, water, etc. I guess trees might cause a problem if it spawned in woods, but hopefully the devs could find a way of working around that.

Other ways of reducing the "heli-routes" would be, obviously, simply to increase the number of possible locations up to 4 figures, as well as slowing people down - which I guess will come later with stamina effects.

The same ought to go for vehicle and other dynamic spawns, really.

I'd like there to be crashed planes as well as helicopters. They should also have dynamic spawns, like having the crashes in forests or cities.

I'm nearly positive at one point in the mod they were able to just spawn in any open field.  I'd imagine the simplified version was no objects/structures/trees within X meters.

It would be far more preferable they were able to make helis spawn in any random place, except for certain exceptions: where there are buildings, steep slopes, cliffs, water, etc. I guess trees might cause a problem if it spawned in woods, but hopefully the devs could find a way of working around that.

Other ways of reducing the "heli-routes" would be, obviously, simply to increase the number of possible locations up to 4 figures, as well as slowing people down - which I guess will come later with stamina effects.

The same ought to go for vehicle and other dynamic spawns, really.

The should spawn the heli *FLYING* have it wander around some way points before crashing/being shot down. where ever it crashes the loot spawns. this shouldn't be *THAT* hard to do when the dev team has direct access to the engine's nuts n bolts. even A2 mods did this. this serves several purposes;

1. The heli can be damaged by player fire resulting it it crashing off course from the waypoints. More possibility for randomness.

2. Have several sets of waypoints, and spawn the flying heli with varying amounts of feul you could make it crash/land in almost unpredictable places. Basically you up the number of variables that can effect the choppers time in the sky and routing thus making it nearly impossible to predict where the crash will be.

3. Creates a 'living world'. choppers don't magically appear wrecked for no good reason. you can hear them flying, you can (if close enough) hear them crash and see the smoke/explosions

4. Solves hop-Based hunting because theirs no guarantee that ANY server will have a chopper in or near that location at a given time.

5. Solves 'heli routes' making you actively scavenge the map or bee-line when one goes down near you.

6. If they can address duping exploits once n for all, they can start to put some real top tier gear in these that make them worth the trouble. GPS, Night-vision, Crank or Solar power generation devices for charging items like the GPS. maybe even on rare occasion NV or thermal optics. they could also make these the exclusive source of certain high end medical supplies.

• Like 1

The should spawn the heli *FLYING* have it wander around some way points before crashing/being shot down. where ever it crashes the loot spawns. this shouldn't be *THAT* hard to do when the dev team has direct access to the engine's nuts n bolts. even A2 mods did this. this serves several purposes;

1. The heli can be damaged by player fire resulting it it crashing off course from the waypoints. More possibility for randomness.

2. Have several sets of waypoints, and spawn the flying heli with varying amounts of feul you could make it crash/land in almost unpredictable places. Basically you up the number of variables that can effect the choppers time in the sky and routing thus making it nearly impossible to predict where the crash will be.

3. Creates a 'living world'. choppers don't magically appear wrecked for no good reason. you can hear them flying, you can (if close enough) hear them crash and see the smoke/explosions

4. Solves hop-Based hunting because theirs no guarantee that ANY server will have a chopper in or near that location at a given time.

5. Solves 'heli routes' making you actively scavenge the map or bee-line when one goes down near you.

6. If they can address duping exploits once n for all, they can start to put some real top tier gear in these that make them worth the trouble. GPS, Night-vision, Crank or Solar power generation devices for charging items like the GPS. maybe even on rare occasion NV or thermal optics. they could also make these the exclusive source of certain high end medical supplies.

They've already said they aren't going to do flying ai helis and I'm really glad they made that decision.  The common scenario with those was always "I hear a heli!" "oh shit!" "oh wait it's just ai :["

It completely demolishes the excitement and tenseness of hearing a player flown helicopter and all the implications that went into it.  Knowing that when you heard a helicopter it was for sure because player(s) had put that time and effort into it and being unsure of their motives.  Yes you could tell if it was an ai one by the way it moved, but that initial reaction which I think is really important to the atmosphere gets ruined.

Maybe mods will put it them back in, and I can appreciate that some people found them fun, but personally it's one of the choices I'm incredibly glad they've made.  I want DayZ to remain focused on the player experience above all else.  I don't want to see any form of ai besides the zombies and animals.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Looking for super rare weapons seems like it's far too troublesome and time consuming for me. People die in one shot anyway. I think that like many people probably know, the ubiquitous Red 9's and Mosin Nagants are more than capable of taking down even the most highly geared player. 

• Like 2

I'm nearly positive at one point in the mod they were able to just spawn in any open field.  I'd imagine the simplified version was no objects/structures/trees within X meters.

There were because most servers had the dynamic spawning script running on their server. In the Vanilla mod, the helicopter crashes had predetermined crash points like they are now.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Looking for super rare weapons seems like it's far too troublesome and time consuming for me. People die in one shot anyway. I think that like many people probably know, the ubiquitous Red 9's and Mosin Nagants are more than capable of taking down even the most highly geared player.

Completely agree with Rags. In .59, helicopter crashes spawn basically the same thing as the tents at NWAF. I've checked 20+ heli crashes and I typically find boots and jackets, and I've found one UMP which was hardly worth the time. Never found an SVD, VSS, FAL or AUG. Why would I go hunting for hours on end for helicopters crashes if I can just go to myshkino, get some combat gear and an SKS within minutes and fight people? What's the damn point of searching heli crashes? It takes 10 hours of searching to get anything useful out of helis, and then you get put down in one shot by some freshie with a magnum 10 minutes later. If you want me to go search helicopter crashes and boat crashes then please, devs, please stop being so stingy with the damn loot.

Completely agree with Rags. In .59, helicopter crashes spawn basically the same thing as the tents at NWAF. I've checked 20+ heli crashes and I typically find boots and jackets, and I've found one UMP which was hardly worth the time. Never found an SVD, VSS, FAL or AUG. Why would I go hunting for hours on end for helicopters crashes if I can just go to myshkino, get some combat gear and an SKS within minutes and fight people? What's the damn point of searching heli crashes? It takes 10 hours of searching to get anything useful out of helis, and then you get put down in one shot by some freshie with a magnum 10 minutes later. If you want me to go search helicopter crashes and boat crashes then please, devs, please stop being so stingy with the damn loot.

That's the point though.  It's less the weapon and more the player.  If you want to invest the time to find a weapon that has some better characteristics you can, but you aren't forced to to compete.

I've used the SVD and FAL, and while I don't have a ton of experience with them my opinion was that I much prefer a winchestor to the svd because of my playstyle (I prefer longer ranges when I'm sniping, and more precision any ways) and until the FAL gets optics a regular assault rifle is kinda better.  They're still powerful weapons, but you aren't going to be losing a fight purely because of them.  They're something to look for and invest time in if you want, but can also just happen upon by luck.

The game is a sandbox so not everything is supposed to be appealing to everyone.  You can pick and choose what you want to do, hopefully without putting yourself at a huge disadvantage because one aspect of the game doesn't interest you.

Edited by Bororm

..//..

It takes me on average about 10 hours to find a single heli crash site weapon. That’s far to long for what they offer and is not worth it if you just want good gear for pvp,

..//... Whats your thoughts?

YES I agree - 10 hours is a long time to wait if all you want is PvP. So forget about helicopters.

Get a subumachine gun, a revolver, a Mozin or an axe. Check out a police station or a Barracks or a police car. Use Brass Knuckles or a spade to kill someone and steal their gear.

Now THAT IS real Person v Person, DayZ style. .. That's how they did it IRL in places like Stalingrad WWII, where they were VERY SERIOUS about PvP -  no one wasted time looking for "good gear" to KOS with, they just went right AT it..

Also, you can eat the dude afterwards, what more do you want?

Please don't think I am being bad to you Me1anME2. I mean all this. There is a situation at the moment about military loot that needs to be worked out, but I believe it is NOT because of the helicrash system - IMO it is an exploitation problem. Meanwhile you can PvP with different weapons "civiian weapons" (and find ammo easier too)  and if you want only pure military PvP there are better games. But stick with DayZ and find new ways of dealing with "civil war" and with "urban breakdown" and "survival" and "man against man", KoS and starvation and cooperation, even cannibalism and street gangs with melee weapons.. In the long term, DayZ is a lot more interesting than straight PvP in the CoD style.

- IMO.

..//..

The restart feature is being abused daily.

..//..

I have found a nice Public server with low ping (37) that lets me play in the evenings (every evening) without kicking me - that is rare IMO.(I mean: In My Experience)

Leastways he hasn't kicked me in 2 weeks since the server got a new name string. I was trying to locate the guy to THANK him for letting me play on his Public server without kicking me, because I think that's pretty nice and fair of him. It' getting rare.

This is NOT a joke, I WAS looking for the guy to thank him and say "hello". I only know a few servers I can definitely play, in daylight (late evenings real-time) regularly without problems, in more that 160+ Public on my list with ping less than 100. (for instance there are a LOT more 'Public kick' servers than Private Servers, that is fact)

The only strange thing -  is he restarts in groups of 3 or 4 times together  - After half an hour play, the server will restart 3 times in 15 minutes or less. Then there is no problem for half an hour, then 3 restarts in a row again..

I don't know why he does this, I haven't asked yet. I'm mainly in the sticks or a civilian location when it happens.

==

Note: for Me1andMe2 - About 90%+  of everyone I see in DayZ (but NOT everybody) is totally kitted out military style. The ones I kill (before they kill me) don't even have food with them, only ammo, guns and full mil. clothes. So IMO they don't spend 10 hours getting that military gear.

Do you think this an explanation why there are so many Public servers with only 1-5 players who kick every stranger who logs in?

I think this might help explain why a lot of players don't care how "long" it takes to find an unlooted helicrash or a safe fully-stocked Barracks to raid, because except on high-pop Public servers no one else is on the server to compete for that loot.

If you don't let anyone else play on your Public server - then you and your friend the admin ( the "clan") can spend just a couple of quiet hours filing up your tents with good gear. Then leave the tents safe on your "no join"  Pubic server -  so then you can go on any high-pop server and PvP for hours, right?  This is very profitable.

Your stash is always completely safe back on your "Public" server as long as you never let anyone in there.

Hey, not everyone plays  'my server my lot farm". Let me make this clear.  I am a hunter and a woodsman, mainly, I don't  PvP much. I don't hardly KOS unless I see a mil. flattop dude. I don't care if I have an assault rifle or not. I collect gear as I come across it..I keep it or throw it away. Plenty of players follow that same ethic, and also whole other FAIR styles of play, they use civilian weapons, some also PvP, and they have plenty FUN and adrenaline excitement.

But when a growing number of players are exploiting the game to corner high end loot, then the whole loot system goes out of balance. It is an Economic Collapse, simple. This destroys the reasons for the loot distribution values and it wrecks the game.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

-Snip-

Personally, this is the reasoning for my only playing on a select Private Hive - Because I don't care for server hopping methods to kit yourself.

The only realllllll PvP out there is when things aren't really in your favor and everything is a surprise. This makes bloody areas like Military Fields, Police Stations, and the coast to be truly hell. . And it's the best.

As for Helicopters, the only thing I'd be pleased with is if the spawns were more spread out and randomized - And perhaps a few more. . Or if not more Helis, then begin fitting gear in certain broken tanks/armored cars near towns as well.