NewArk

Dayz Reviews on Steam

Hi Guys,

out of boredom I've read some reviews of dayz on steam and was shocked.

Just only negative rants, hundreds of them.

So I decided to write one, too. A realistic, positive one!

Because even if there are points in the game which are criticisable and the development progress seems to be slow paced, I had tons of fun with the game in its actual state and furthermore i have trust in behemia and think they'll make a great game.

So my request to you guys who love the game as well, show it some love on steam! Take some minutes and give it a realistic review!

N.

• Like 5

I gave it a positive review. With over 1300hrs logged (had never heard of Arma nevermind played the mod) it's easily my favourite (yet incomplete) game. I can understand why some have given it negative reviews, but as always, I take other peoples opinions on things with a bucket of salt and much prefer to come to my own conclusions.

I hope most are like me and would not simply look the game over because of some bad reviews. There is now a refund system in place in Steam precisely for this, you don't like it within 2hrs? Refund. Don't then use Steam as a platform to push your own opinion as if it were gospel.

Edited by Tactical Nuke
  • Like 3

I can understand some of the neg. reviews too, but most of them are unobjective, which bothers me a bit.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

out of boredom I've read some reviews of dayz on steam and was shocked.

Just only negative rants, hundreds of them.

So I decided to write one, too. A realistic, positive one!

Because even if there are points in the game which are criticisable and the development progress seems to be slow paced, I had tons of fun with the game in its actual state and furthermore i have trust in behemia and think they'll make a great game.

So my request to you guys who love the game as well, show it some love on steam! Take some minutes and give it a realistic review!

N.

A lot of people are unhappy, the official forums isn't a place to really observe this. Not making a judgement on the legitimacy of their concerns. Maybe a lot of it has to do with the early access process itself, and so many people being excited for something that wasn't plausible to produce immediately. 

• Like 1

Steam reviews are mostly memes and uninformed nonsense from kids that thought they were buying a finished game or the Overpoch Standalone.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 5

i mostly trawl through reviews on steam to get a feel for the pro's and cons, for entertainment, and occasionally to browse for what would appear to be objective reviews.

The majority of 10/10 (insert witty comment again) are bread and butter.

Also, steam store has become littered with joke simulators, flooded with DLC piecemeal packages when i'm looking for actual games (and don't own the base for these DLC), not to mention how most games today spam their titles with cross-over tags like Action-Adventure-Survival-Shooter-Simulation-RPG-Hard so that if you browse by category, you're faced with legit the same titles for the first 10 pages on every category.

UGH mech warrior online is not a strategy game.  Rainbow 6 siege is not a simulation game.  Xcom2 is arguably not RPG... I know why you spam these tags, devs, the same reason why youtube whores spam them on their channels but why :'(

1984 is not a romantic fantasy, and Johny Got his Gun is not a psychology/college-communication text book.

make the pain stop.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

I think I gave DayZ a positive review, albeit with the caveat that one shouldn't purchase it yet if they're uncomfortable with the early access format.

If DayZ stopped development right now I'd be pissed, but I think I got my £20's worth - bugs and all.

• Like 2

A lot of people are unhappy, the official forums isn't a place to really observe this.

That ... bear in mind that

- most who do NOT like it will not follow it on these boards

- threads negative towards DayZ have a higher likelihood to meet the graveyard, this might be down to peronal rants and flames and the way this board is moderated.

However, taking this forum as a reference on like / dislike is not quite correct. Neither is steam, though, since many people do comment after only having played single digit hour. All in all .... relax :)

• Like 1

I didn't review DayZ because I see no point reviewing an alpha game.

I put a review up:

With 1400 hours logged, the only game I've ever played that makes me tense up on my seat and shaking with built up excitement adn the things i've experienced are soooo much more rewarding than most other games which are just play and forget. Sure there are things that aren't finished, the frames are bad, there are bugs and if you don't like the survival aspect of the game there isn't a lot to do but kill people. But playing this isn't like playing CoD or Battlefield, there is a large portion of downtime where not much happens followed by short, very intense encounters with people that can be nice and friendly but also complete psychopaths. Can it be done better? Probably. Was it better in the mod like some people claim? No. Absolutely Not. And this is not a finished game. There is a lot of things to come before optimization even begins. I hope all the people who bought the game returns when 1.0 is released and gives it a proper chance. After all, you DID read the text that states "This game is Early access....yada yada yada" didn't you?

• Like 3

CC, but it might be the policy that if your accepting $$ you have to have it reviewed as a product the same as final

Otherwise, steam would have loads of games unfinished. With no reviews. Am i incorrect? Leaving it up to the community to decide to buy it or not.

Dayz also warned people its in pre alpha, then alpha stages.

and in my eyes its better if steam doesn't accept any game that is not playable. It should also be half the price, until beta.

Otherwise go to kick starter for funds. Then bring it to steam around alpha/beta 1-2 months before release.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be allowed to review a game that hasn't been released yet.

I would support this if there weren't charging real world money

• Like 3

As Baker said, as soon as you accept money for it, it's a product and is subject to scrutiny.

Even things that are given out for free are not free from criticism or discussion.  The effect however, of complaining about something you received for marginal or free amounts of monies decreases your arguments sway.

I have very strong criticisms of DayZ, as well as Arma3.  But I can still enjoy it.  It's like people pointing out all the flaws in Fallout4 and people criticising them for 'nitpicking'... you can have a level opinion of something while still appreciating the good and bad.

An objective opinion is not: I HATE IT THIS IS WHY, or IT IS GREAT LOOK AT ALL THESE PRO's!

"I like it because xyz, converseley, here are the issues that i have with the product, ultimately i think A outweighs B therefore ..." is more objective and level.

I find Fallout 4 to be a sloppy, watered down version of the originals, but i still enjoy it.  I don't think that's a conflicting opinion.  Same as DayZ, except the true criticism cannot be levelled at the product currently as it has not been released, and criticisms made now could be redundant in the future. 

That still doesn't detract from the validity of my opinion however.

Steam reviews haven't quite reached the level of Metacritic yet, although it is interesting that people (particularly steam users) slag off Metacritic reviews for being exclusively 0/10 or 10/10, yet argue for a binary system (like steam) when ultimately that's the result, albeit with the slightly normal-aggregate existing between 0-10 anyway...

When i'm looking at a review i don't go straight to the xx/10 score card, i read the damned words and mull them over, deciding whether those criticisms are something that would gel with me, and then research further to critique their validity/bias.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 3

most people doing negative reviews on steam don't understand what "experimental" and "alpha" means, they clicked on "I understand" and secretly expected a fully fleshed out, bug free and good performing game

welp, at least they payed money so we can later enjoy the game when it is completely developed ;)

i think DayZ would have fared way better if they actually did the alpha-stuff over Kickstarter rather than steam, at least kickstarter backers are more understanding and kickstarter sets goals that need to be achieved, forcing the devs to be more focused on implementing features and being able to push back all the bugfixing when the game is feature complete, which is way better than what the dayz devs are doing right now

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

Hello there

I sense some angst towards the possible "biased" moderation on these forums.

I, for one, don't wholly agree with that.

I personally am happy to let those with legitimate concerns and complaints air their views, but they have to be prepared to accept counter argument.

We only yard/hide threads that deserve it. If you think otherwise then PM a mod and we'll discuss it.

I won't tolerate insults or abusive behavior be it from a "fanboi" or a "hater" or anyone else.

If you can be bothered to trawl through my earlier posts you'll find that I have been openly critical of some design decisions in the past but I didn't rant and rave or make sly insinuations about "shady practices","lazy devs" etc ad nauseum.

You can be a critic here and remain for as long as one wants.

Its how one does it that counts.

As to Steam, well their review system is lacklustre to say the least as are their built in mod tools (or the one's we are currently allowed access to). Only use steam reviews as an indicator, not your sole point of reviews.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 5

I wrote a positive review at launch because of my experience with the mod, it included a cast iron guarantee that Rocket and his team would no doubt replicate that hard work and success. After two years and over 300 hours played I recently edited that review and made it a negative one, leaving my original review at the bottom and including a personal apology.

I see a lot of people complaining about the review system on Steam, but ironically it was this game that taught me to respect that review system, to make sure I had a complete picture before leaving a review (positive or negative), because I would feel genuinely guilty if my original review actually encouraged anybody to spend their hard-earned cash on this game. Thankfully the 8-10 copies owned by my friends were all purchased as gifts with my own hard-earned £160-200 so my conscience is clear in regards to them.

I wrote a positive review at launch because of my experience with the mod, it included a cast iron guarantee that Rocket and his team would no doubt replicate that hard work and success. After two years and over 300 hours played I recently edited that review and made it a negative one, leaving my original review at the bottom and including a personal apology.

I see a lot of people complaining about the review system on Steam, but ironically it was this game that taught me to respect that review system, to make sure I had a complete picture before leaving a review (positive or negative), because I would feel genuinely guilty if my original review actually encouraged anybody to spend their hard-earned cash on this game. Thankfully the 8-10 copies owned by my friends were all purchased as gifts with my own hard-earned £160-200 so my conscience is clear in regards to them.

FYI, white text is completely invisible when browsing the forums with the IP.Board theme. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be allowed to sell a game that hasn't released yet.

• Like 2

It's kinda like going on tripadvisor and reading reviews of a vacation. Some people you just can't please. If it's a genre of game you are interested in, the best thing you can do is try it out for yourself. Reviews make for a good laugh sometimes though!

Shouldn't be allowed to sell a game that hasn't released yet.

Why not? You can buy a chair or table that hasn't been made yet.

What you can't do is write a review for a chair you bought that hasn't been fully made stating it has no cushioning or you don't like the look of raw wood when you know before it is given to you in full it will be stained and finished. People would mock you for it, just as they should mock people reviewing an unfinished game. 

Why not? You can buy a chair or table that hasn't been made yet.

What you can't do is write a review for a chair you bought that hasn't been fully made stating it has no cushioning or you don't like the look of raw wood when you know before it is given to you in full it will be stained and finished. People would mock you for it, just as they should mock people reviewing an unfinished game. 

to be fair tho- You'd also be well justified to negativelty review the design/production process and speed of progress of that furniture maker if you felt they weren't meeting expectations. The minute you take money for something, people have every right to criticize.

No, you can't review an alpha as if it were finished release- you can however review your experience with the progress of that title.

- I feel many of the decisions dayZ devs have made are wrong for the game. (Played Official mod way back when it first went viral and wanted MORE of that experience with refinements. i really hate how the scope of the project was changed after it became so commercially successful)

- I don't feel BI/Devs have been particularly good with how they have handeled the release-stream of information willy-nilly thru social media. (implementation of dev tracker posts here is a start but honestly come on BI.) there is no reason for not having a link on the home page with complete patchnotes and version history.

- I am thoroughly Un-satisfied with the rate of development and release schedule. Other EA titles frequently push multiple patches out PER WEEK. Space Engineers maintained a weekly release scheduale. I've seen ARK get more then one patch in a SINGLE DAY. Im not saying one time table suits all projects, but the month + gaps with little new info and no updates is silly. push those buggy builds to exp. branch as soon as thier even able to run and lest get some testing done. 

bottom line: you take my $, you also take my complaints. period.

I dont think/know id Standalone with 'suck' or not. it's not done. But i will continue to pick apart Design Choices that i think are detrimental to the game and business practices that i think could be better.

• Like 2

to be fair tho- You'd also be well justified to negativelty review the design/production process and speed of progress of that furniture maker if you felt they weren't meeting expectations. The minute you take money for something, people have every right to criticize.

No, you can't review an alpha as if it were finished release- you can however review your experience with the progress of that title.

- I feel many of the decisions dayZ devs have made are wrong for the game. (Played Official mod way back when it first went viral and wanted MORE of that experience with refinements. i really hate how the scope of the project was changed after it became so commercially successful)

- I don't feel BI/Devs have been particularly good with how they have handeled the release-stream of information willy-nilly thru social media. (implementation of dev tracker posts here is a start but honestly come on BI.) there is no reason for not having a link on the home page with complete patchnotes and version history.

- I am thoroughly Un-satisfied with the rate of development and release schedule. Other EA titles frequently push multiple patches out PER WEEK. Space Engineers maintained a weekly release scheduale. I've seen ARK get more then one patch in a SINGLE DAY. Im not saying one time table suits all projects, but the month + gaps with little new info and no updates is silly. push those buggy builds to exp. branch as soon as thier even able to run and lest get some testing done. 

bottom line: you take my $, you also take my complaints. period.

I dont think/know id Standalone with 'suck' or not. it's not done. But i will continue to pick apart Design Choices that i think are detrimental to the game and business practices that i think could be better.

Coincidently, Space Engineers is the other early release game I play ("only" at this point I guess since I don't really played DayZ any more).  They do a much better job with their development.  Every Thursday, an update is released like clockwork.  Sometimes it's just bugfixing.  Sometimes it's a major update (like the addition of planets or DirectX 11).  But it always feels like the game is moving forward.

DayZ not so much.  The releases are months apart and mostly it's just content.  After 2 years, the fundamental game mechanics still aren't there.

Also, Space Engineers, you actually build stuff so there's a lot more to do.  To be honest, it's hard to stay engrossed in DayZ running around the same map for 2 years.  Yes, it's great checking out a new town or prison island or whatever.  But honestly I've just sort of got bored of it.  Maybe I'll check it out again in a few months when the weather keeps me inside.

• Like 1