boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

American Helicopters have lemonade Smoke Grenades.

xKPynoa.jpg?1

• Like 1

So I just downloaded the 323.5 KB update today and my anti-virus is blocking it because it apparently contains a Trojan.Gen.SHM. Did anyone else get this? I'm using Norton by the way.

Dude. Screw. Norton. I never want to hear that freaking name again. I'm so over these "security suites" and their freaking crap. Was probably some glitch exclusively from Norton. I would honestly recommend uninstalling Norton and staying as far away as you can from it from now on. It's not the best for game performance when that stuff runs, either.

• Like 1

The KoS stops here... :murder:

If you read the past pages, you'll see that the KOS discussion came out of nowhere, or rather out of a misunderstanding. I was criticising the ability of groups to server-hop from inside buildings on the airfield and within shooting range of the high-risk military areas. This prevents the solo player or even smaller groups from employing any kind of tactics against getting raped by groups of server-hoppers. I also described, how these people aren't playing the game by interacting with other players, but by changing servers; they aren't moving much on the map, but moving through servers, instead. Even though joining a private server shard can prevent that, I don't think the devs would want these exploits + farming to happen on public servers when the game goes beta. I'm criticising the ability to spawn on high-risk areas without any form of penalty/danger. 

Edited by S3V3N

But what happens if proper basebuilding is implemented and someone changes servers and directly spawns into a base?

• Like 5

But what happens if proper basebuilding is implemented and someone changes servers and directly spawns into a base?

I've been very curious about this myself for awhile now. I'm anxious to see how they avoid this. 

If a base exists where you were to spawn in , you would just spawn in close to the outside of their walls . I believe this is how the developers addressed it a long time ago ..

• Like 1

I hope netting will be more common next patch - I miss my ghillie gun wrap among other things. :)

I seldom server jump and I think it`s silly, because it break game immersion. Anyway, I usually play on private hives and it`s almost impossible to find netting.

Edited by Ori42
  • Like 1

I haven't played in 7 months now and the game is still at this point? Legitimate construction companies have built skyscrapers in the amount of time it's taken them to introduce vehicles and what, holo sights? I'm guessing I can assume that the health/survival system is still completely broken. Have the developers released an updated timeline?

I think that it needs to be said is that people, however many there are, who basically always KOS like me don't do it because we hate other people or because we're just nasty human beings. People like me do it because right now in the current point in development there's little else that's even remotely interesting, challenging, or engaging as fighting other players. 

The more boring and easy DayZ is as a survival game, the more I'll find my personal thrill in killing other players and the risks that are associated with that. 

• Like 1

Had a pretty interesting night yesterday. Even though I'm usually careful with weapons nowadays I've managed to loose my VSS on WOBO's private server. I've decided to loot at Myshkino where to my surprise I found two guys that saw me an hour ago above Zeleno. Fully kitted with AK's they've opened fire one me, spray n' pray were mostly I've been the one praying to get out of there alive. They've chased me through the western woods from the camp all the way close to the west side of Pavlovo where I finally managed to place some trees in between us and gambled by doing 90 degrees turn and managed to get loose. I made out of it alive without a single bullet in my butt cheeks. By this point I was still kinda pissed by loosing another unfired VSS cause of the same glitch. Decided to risk it in Zeleno base by just rushing and trying to get any weapon as I've had ammo for anything basically. As I've entered the new barrack I get shot by a mosin. Ruined vest, black and white but not bleeding, I pulled out my pistol and waited. Few minutes later mosin guy repositioned and I took that time to get away without being seen. By this time I was even more pissed and decided to flank him. Around one of the corners of the base walls I stumbled upon 3 fully kitted guys with AK's again, we've all panicked. Got one with a pistol in all that mess and once again zig-zag with a speed of Usain Bolt saves my ass. My clothes were completely ruined except my pants but by that time they weren't intact if you know what I mean ^_^. Ran to nearby town to get some food and heal for the third time on the same character in just a day or two. Saw 2 more guys there trying to sneak upon me but I've escaped once again. Crafted a bow, killed some deer and took his meat. Went on a journey all the way up to the gas station near most south-west town in Cherno and cooked some meat and replenished. Decided I'll go check on my barrel towards NWAF and to my surprise it was still intact after 2 weeks of not playing. Soon enough I've noticed that I'm loosing colour rapidly, turns out I'm sick and about to die. Chambered my magnum and put one straight into my head. That's where my unfortunate journey in a span of one evening ended.

MleVYvE.jpg

Edited by Miracool
  • Like 3

I had no idea this game had sheep. I was literally startled and confused.

6OLFngN.jpg?1

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1

I haven't played in 7 months now and the game is still at this point? Legitimate construction companies have built skyscrapers in the amount of time it's taken them to introduce vehicles and what, holo sights? I'm guessing I can assume that the health/survival system is still completely broken. Have the developers released an updated timeline?

health system still is a joke to be honest, you do have a point there. I am all for adding medical items, treatments and conditions instead of gun number 231, but currently health is ... overrated. Nothing to see here.

I have not heard about improvements either, though. Renderer, helis, base building were the hot topics lately. The broken health and melee elements seem to stay broken :(  That might be due to your aforementioned timeline: 1.0 is still planned for 2016, so they might just have dropped some stuff from the agenda, I don't know. However, I would not hold my breath for a decent medical or melee system.

Edited by Noctoras

Ran to nearby town to get some food and heal for the third time on the same character in just a day or two. Saw 2 more guys there trying to sneak upon me but I've escaped once again. Crafted a bow, killed some deer and took his meat. Went on a journey all the way up to the gas station near most south-west town in Cherno and cooked some meat and replenished. Decided I'll go check on my barrel towards NWAF and to my surprise it was still intact after 2 weeks of not playing. Soon enough I've noticed that I'm loosing colour rapidly, turns out I'm sick and about to die. Chambered my magnum and put one straight into my head. That's where my unfortunate journey in a span of one evening ended.

MleVYvE.jpg

Yeah...This one gets the point. You can not say this game is boring when you have experiences like this. And..this shows the value in having varying playstyles.

• Like 3

Has anyone seen a heli crash since wednesday? I havent seen one in days.

Has anyone seen a heli crash since wednesday? I havent seen one in days.

Not a single one in Cherno. And I've been there all day.

Not a single one in Cherno. And I've been there all day.

There are no heli crashes in cherno... Typo because it's late?

http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-75;-28;5

--

1.0 in 2016? I'll continue to laugh my ass off at that notion until I see it. No way, Jose.

Does anyone know the size of the dev team?

--

So I just downloaded the 323.5 KB update today and my anti-virus is blocking it because it apparently contains a Trojan.Gen.SHM. Did anyone else get this? I'm using Norton by the way.

Dude. Screw. Norton. I never want to hear that freaking name again. I'm so over these "security suites" and their freaking crap. Was probably some glitch exclusively from Norton. I would honestly recommend uninstalling Norton and staying as far away as you can from it from now on. It's not the best for game performance when that stuff runs, either.

Add steam to your list of exceptions... Unless the steam servers were hacked and a viral update was uploaded then that is a false positive. 

I remember an instance from around 2011 when Apple computers received a Java update that was in fact a virus.

I believe this is the virus but perhaps I'm mistaken since it was so long ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

Edited by ghoulman

So, apparently shooting somebody twice with a 7.62x39mm round from an SKS in the upper body at ~25m is neither fatal nor incapacitating...after a fight I had in the NWAF tents where I killed three guys and injured a fourth, I really think that some of these people took too many rounds to put down with that SKS.

F9iNeHP.gif

A guy can hit me in the chest with a .308 at 250m and that knocks me unconscious in one shot even with my armor...but my near point blank double tap to the chest with an AK-47 round does nothing?

I really need to get a look at some Symthic style damage models for this stuff, because wouldn't an SKS have a very slight damage advantage over the AKM due to about a 4 inch longer barrel? It just seems that the AKM has more potent bullets while the SKS simply needs more rounds to put people down. 

Maybe I am wrong! I dunno...it just seems that way to me. Could be other factors. 

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1

1.0 in 2016? I'll continue to laugh my ass off at that notion until I see it. No way, Jose.

Confirmed by B.I. just before Christmas, so you better believe it. I am totally with you in thinking this will leave a broken game apart from weapons and transport system (medical system, skill system, injuries, melee fighting ... there basically are still lots of "cinstruction sites")

Edited by Noctoras

Confirmed by B.I. just before Christmas, so you better believe it.

No offense to BI, but their confirmation of something happening at a certain time in the future is kinda meaningless at this point.

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1

Not in this case - end of major development in 2016 basically means the end of many game related costs, from dev. time to admin overhead. From cash flow to net profit, B.I. can only profit from drawing it to a close as soon as possible. The majority of revenues has been made, that's for sure, so what would be the economic point of continuing development into neverland?

The disadvantage of early access is that you basically remove an incentive to carry on. This is not B.I. specific, but a market thingy.

So, apparently shooting somebody twice with a 7.62x39mm round from an SKS in the upper body at ~25m is neither fatal nor incapacitating...after a fight I had in the NWAF tents where I killed three guys and injured a fourth, I really think that some of these people took too many rounds to put down with that SKS.

A guy can hit me in the chest with a .308 at 250m and that knocks me unconscious in one shot even with my armor...but my near point blank double tap to the chest with an AK-47 round does nothing?

Yeah, player damage seems unreliable at best at the moment. I've seen plenty of large caliber bullets, even 7.62x39 bullets knock people unconscious via headshot. Even with helmets on, this should be impossible. I think it's kind of screwy that .380 rounds and/or .22 rounds don't kill to the head! Honestly how many times out of 10 would someone survive being shot in the head with a .22? Movement also seems to play a big factor. Many times someone will empty a whole mag into someone who is running around, and the running person will end up with a lot of ruined clothes, but still be alive. I know a lot of it is that the bullets will hit the arms or legs and therefore be non-fatal shots. Also, clothing items with inventories help disperse damage greatly. In your case, maybe the vest took much of the damage of the first impact, and the shirt took the other? It's still pretty obvious that 2 sks rounds to the upper torso should at least knock someone out.

• Like 1

It rained today.

NfZxp5r.jpg

It's the first time I've seen any rain in 0.59, including experimental.
I was convinced that it had been removed this build for whatever reason. It's good to see that it's still around. :)

• Like 1

Cute.

Pretty sure that when I... 

6HOdefQ.gif

...DayZ opens and I play it.

You say that if I shoot everything I'm missing the point. Well, I'll have you know that I rarely miss. If I want to talk to random people on the internet then I'll make a Facebook profile or I'll walk to the Waffle House and hit on the oddly hot milfs behind the counter. You know a chick with a baby is down to fuck. You are correct that not every encounter has to be an exchange of bullets. But I enjoy exchanging bullets. It's fun. It's a challenge. It's tense. It's enjoyable. That's what I enjoy in DayZ right now because for me it's the only thing in this incomplete game that has any semblance of fun. If talking to people is fun for you, then jolly good for you. Keep doing it. It's your game. But it hardly makes me a dumbass to kill people and take their stuff. It's enjoyable alternatives of upwards class mobility.

When you say that people should be teleported to random spots on Chernarus when they log out within 500 meters of a military loot zone so it's easier for people who play alone, I don't think explaining why my idea of fairness is superior to yours is necessary

But, you my fingers need the exercise. Lucky you. To put it simply, making every server Private completely negates server hopping. It renders it impossible. That's the biggest, best benefit of having private shard servers. I think that most of the DayZ community frowns upon the act, and the people who do it probably don't try and morally justify their server hopping actions. By giving everybody the same field to play on, it's putting everybody on the same set of rules with the same set of guidelines. Literally as fair as it can get. When all the players have to gear up in the server that they die on and can't hop from this place to that place, that's fair since it applies to all players. Every player has to abide by the same looting and respawning rules. They can't "cheat" their loot. Everybody has to go and get it "the right way". 

Having Public servers as an option is like having a rifle in Battlefield that kills in one hit. Nobody is forcing you to use that gun, but it's without a doubt an option that gives you huge advantages in both time and firepower to use. "Well, if you think it's too good/easy, then you just use it, too!" is the obvious defense. A classic, in fact. Indeed, having only public shard servers where everybody has the option of server hopping is the other idea instead of going all private, but I think that the idea of DayZ as a finished product isn't one that takes into account server hopping as a legitimate survival strategy since it basically renders every mechanic in terms of survival/gearing/player interaction either completely circumvented or easy to the point of uselessness. 

If you play on Public servers and you hate server hopping and hate getting killed by server hoppers...well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes

It basically doesn't. HC8YCV6.jpg?1

Because every one of the players of DayZ is part of the same community, regardless of their server preference. Prevailing attitudes of server hopping exist in the same community as I am in. DayZ is not split up between people who play Private and people who play Public. It's one group of players. Invariable, being in the same community with them affects the attitudes of people who play the same game as I do and how they play and how they expect the game to be. It's like being a furry who doesn't like to wear the suits. Simply put, if people have differing opinions than I do about something and we all exist in the same community, that's not good for me because I want my opinion to be the most widely accepted.

You literally said:

You are attempting to give an advantage to people who don't play in a group by nullifying the natural advantage that being in a group gives to players. You literally said that if would be "more fair to solo players". Not to mention the fact that people can't magically measure out 500 meters in their heads, how you would suggest the game even recognize that players are playing in a group, what constitutes as a "military zone", etc. 

For example...let's take a look at Stary Sobor:

pRNXh4X.png?1

There is a possible helicopter spawn to the southwest and the five military loot tents to the northeast. You cannot log out in any of the area shown on this picture, except maybe the corner in the northwest. Barely. Even if the helicopter doesn't spawn there, basically the entire town is no bueno for logging out because those tents would plop you to Berezino before you could say "This is a shitty fucking mechanic, I'm gonna go play Starcraft."

And how far is 500 meters? Well, you'd better be a damn good guesser. Or else you're going to be randomly teleported somewhere on the map. Huff huff.

Like you, right? Right. These exploits are used to gain advantages over everybody, not just armchair Navy Seals sitting in front of a computer screen.

Wrong. The game is supposed to have realistic elements when they are appropriate for gameplay. Even if that were the case, teleporting people across an entire countryside when they spawn to close to a place where a AK Hanguard could be is fighting unrealism with even more unrealism. If something isn't realistic, that's fine...so long as it's sensible and intuitive and repeatable.

It is perfectly fair. You know it's a possibility. You know it's a mechanic. You know that people log out around the NWAF and can spawn in at any time. You have to be vigilant and perceptive and you cannot let your guard down. If you're truly doing that, then the chances that you will be taken advantage of by somebody randomly spawning in within killing distance of you without your notice is minimal. And even if you don't notice, then there would be no possible way that you could tell you were killed by somebody who just spawned in instead of somebody who just waltzed over. In fact, just not noticing players who are already in the game is most likely a hundred times more deadly to you than somebody spawning in. Most people choose safe and out of the way places to spawn in anyway where they are not noticeable in the moments of their loading in. You wouldn't have seen them if they were standing there anyway.

Good chat. :thumbsup:  

Also...  

This guy gets it.  :beans:

Agree with Rags' point about killing being the only fun thing in DayZ right now. Nothing is more satisfying than shooting a bandit and watching his lifeless body drop. Given how fucked up the loot economy is at the moment (inbalanced rarity of loot, buildings spawning one type of loot[tents always have 2-6 SKS in them, or 2-6 AKs, never both] etc etc), I personally have had the most fun looting the Cherno police station, getting a glock with a couple of mags and fighting in Cherno. There's literally nothing to do in DayZ OTHER THAN pvp. The zombies add nothing to the game except frustration because they are overpowered as fuck (they run, glitch, lag, take too long to kill) and only spawn in specific locations. Zombies aren't a real threat. Food isn't a problem either, go into any house on a low pop and you're almost guaranteed to find a can of beans.

You can explore the map and go to military bases if you want but you're only wasting your time. Why go all the way up north and spend hours looting for AK ammo and fancy heli-crash guns when you could easily just go into a few houses, get a mosin and fight just the same? I don't see the incentive to loot up if I can just die in 2 minutes after searching for hours for stupidly rare SVDs and M4s. 

While I hate people who kill innocent fresh spawns for no reason, I see no problem with KOS bandits. They're annoying as fuck, yes, and they're assholes but that doesn't mean KoS is necessarily a bad thing. Especially given that PVP is the most fun you can get out of DayZ right now.

• Like 2

F9iNeHP.gif

I really need to get a look at some Symthic style damage models for this stuff, because wouldn't an SKS have a very slight damage advantage over the AKM due to about a 4 inch longer barrel? It just seems that the AKM has more potent bullets while the SKS simply needs more rounds to put people down. 

Maybe I am wrong! I dunno...it just seems that way to me. Could be other factors. 

Loaded a hostile freshie with 20 scorpion rounds, didn't die. He axed me and I died.

Shoot a guy twice with CR carbine, doesn't die. Get hit with stick to head, unconscious and dead.

Shot a guy with Izh rifle in head at point blank, only go unconscious. Shot once with AK, die.

It seems desync is fucking damage taken up quite a lot. Yesterday A guy ran right at me with no weapon up, I shoot him with my scorpion, we are both hit and die. Apparently he had a rak in hand shooting it but on my screen he did not. Later the same guy and his friend shoot me at least ten times with pistols and shotgun before i die. I also shot a guy point blank in the chest with a mosin but he lived long enough to spray me with his scorpion. 

• Like 2