Sign in to follow this  
q.S Sachiel

Helicoptor sims & peripherals

Hey guys,

I've been flying DCS: Black Shark 2 for the KA50 for a while now, and it's quite the enjoyable module for World.  At the moment i've only got A10C and KA50, and it's remarkable how different they are (ignoring fixed wing and rotor craft differences) in that the Warthog is extremely systems-complex while the Kamov is system-simple and control-complex.

Which takes me to my question:

I've got the Saitek x52pro choke + joystick, but i've noticed that my ability to control the collective is quite limited.  I'm usually experimenting from time to time, updating my HOTAS controls to try to streamline the experience, but the collective is something i cannot work out in programming, and the analogue Num+/- is not suitable, although just by using these buttons i can see the power of having a collective input rather than purely adjusting altitude and attitude by throttle and pitch alone.

So does anyone that uses rotorcraft sim software have a dedicated collective input, or some kind of scaleable input ala throttle they  can reccomend? 

I'm not looking to go spend too much money, as it's the only rotorcraft sim i have and there's not much else out there, so i don't really see spending a few 100 on a collective as a smart investment at this time, but open to suggestions.

Also seen a few 'DIY' using throttles, but i'm not too into McGuyvering at this point either.  Preferably if you have any interesting button mappings to share that would be great :)

Have you tried mapping the collective to the throttle control?  In FSX I had to use a different rocker switch for throttle, and had more precise control with collective on throttle slider.  

Really enjoying the MiG-21 BIS module by Leatherneck.

I've played around a little with collective to throttle.  The issue is though, that if i use the pinky switch or something like a mode-switch, say i'm at takeoff:

Collective to 0, (switch), increase throttle to 50%.

Now when i want to increase collective for takeoff, the throttle is in 50%, but the game reads collective at 0.  Moving the throttle from the 50% position will initiate a sudden change in collective from 0 - 49/51.   same thing vica versa if set collective and want to change throttle.

It's these sudden and drastic changes that i want to avoid, and make the mapping difficult to a scaleable input.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steak and Potatoes
      Interesting and of course a small token of your time if curious-

Looking to see what would happen in a zombie outbreak given factors X and Y? Look no further, for physics and disease gurus have given us the answer.
      Presenting Zombie Town USA — an interactive zombie outbreak simulator.
      The simulator is hosted on GitHub, produced by Matt Bierbaum. In it, observe a map of the United States and start your own zombie outbreak, modeled on disease and virus transmission. The map shows which areas are more densely populated so placing a zombie in the center of New York is quite interesting.
      The sim uses modeling and of math and real-world information, including 2010 census data. You can adjust the “bite to kill ratio” and “inter-cell propagation speed” to test different scenarios.
      Start your simulation with Zombie Town USA now.

Regards,

Steak.
    • By killty
      Shenanigan Simulator Overpoch Dayz

We are a group of friends just running a server together for the heck of it. We were sick of every other server we joined having unfair game-play. I say this meaning admins were abusive of there rights and made dayz hard to enjoy. We are a very active crew that promote a fun and stable experience while playing. We are also a fresh server, and we are hoping to get more active players to start a fun and active community. Since we have played Dayz our self, we understand the frustration that abusive admins, hackers, and other bologna brings. A list of our server details are listen below.

Server Ip: 70.36.96.106:3302

Server Features 
      ​ 
      Self Blood Bag
      AI Missions
      Take Clothes
      Building Snapping
      Server Events (With Rewards)
      Starter Base building box (per group)
      Gas Station Refuel
      Tow/Lift
      500+ Vehicles
      Very Active Admins
      4 hour Restarts
      With More Coming...

Server Rules

No talking in Side Chat
      No camping trade zones
      No stealing from trade zones
      No trash talking
      All around be a good sport (We admins will be watching)

If you have any questions or comments, leave them below. If you are interested in donating ask an admin in the server. All donations goes to server upkeep and upgrades. Have fun and we look forward to see what kind of Shenanigans you bring to our server! 
    • By Hikurac
      So I have been watching this wonderful series, DayZ - The Diary of Isaac: 

It had me thinking of some old ideas I had while playing the mod. These are all hypothetical features, as i'm sure most people would hate them due to their harsh and inconvenient nature.

Here's the idea's:

-Zombies can "infect" players by making them bleed. Once infected, their motor controls would decrease, they may fire off weapons on accident, lots of stomach issues, and lastly after about 2-3 hours an AI would take over and attempt to kill other players in the area. There is a cure to the virus, however it is extremely rare due amount of people that tried to obtain it.

-Out of game chat programs are a bannable offense and the community discourages meta-gaming (Impossible, I know).

-When a player begins the game, he is sent to a random server, to which they cannot switch until death. Upon death the player is forced to re-spawn in another, random server and cannot return to the previous one. At least not for a very very long period of time.

Just Imagine:

You have been playing for a while and you have met another player. You don't know him outside of the game but you promise to play with him at specific times on certain days. You've spent the majority of your DayZ hours with him so far.
                Well, just like on any other day, a horde of zeds attack the both of you. You decide to shoot them, as using melee is too risky. You friend uses up all of his ammo and you have very little left, but the horde is dead. Once you think the fight is over, one last zombie comes running towards you while you are reloading. Your friend pulls out his axe and begins to attack the zed, as a last resort to save you and he takes down the zombie.
                Finally the battle is over. You perform your usual checks on each-other to see if either one of you are bleeding and infected. Yet your friend seems reluctant to take off his shirt. You keep asking him to and finally he finally removes his top. He has been cut, and he is infected... He tells you to put him down but you refuse, and instead you both embark on a search for the cure. It's been thirty minutes and his stomach is making some very odd noises. After an hour he begins losing motor controls and accidentally fires off his M4 multiple times, almost killing you in the process. So he throws it away. After two hours he starts throwing up and collapsing repeatedly, it is clear that he is going to die. He asks you again to put him down, as he doesn't want to turn into a zed and attack you as well. You know its the only option.
                You take him to a tall hill and you both sit down on the top, looking at the horizon landscape. You both begin talking a little bit about your adventures, knowing he doesn't have much time left. After about half an hour, he is trying to talk but he keeps throwing up blood, effectively cutting off direct chat when it occurs. You stand up while he is talking and pull out your revolver. As you walk behind him and begin loading the round; you both start laughing with a bleak tone, stating how much fun you've had surviving alongside each other. A long pause of silence occurs, he begins making savage noises, however you can still hear his voice as he says his goodbyes. You raise your revolver up and he stands up and turns around. His face, now unfamiliar and feral. His arms rise up to attack and you squeeze the trigger...
                What was once your friend, is now a lifeless corpse at your feet. All those hours spent eating together, fighting together, and surviving together, now just memories. There was no meta-gaming so you can't contact him, if he re-spawns it will be in another server, and he cannot come back to you. His existence has effectively been removed from your life as you know it, all because of a bullet, fired from your gun. This is a true apocalypse moment, and this is what I want my DayZ experience to be like.

Alright, so that's my little idea and story to back it up. Yes I do realize it will most likely never happen and I never expect it to. Just a little thought that I wanted to share with anyone that might be interested.