maximumak777 (DayZ)

What are the best towns to loot in DayZ?

Being a sniper, I'm looking for good towns that are rich in ammo, guns and clothing. However, I also need food, water and medical supplies. Industrial loot would also help, since I need an improvised backpack.

Thanks!

Wow... how long is a piece of string?

Really depends what you are looking for but I always find that heading inland immediately is a good idea. Just stop long enough to get a bit of food and some clothes in a coastal town. 

• Like 3

Risk vs reward. As a "sniper", how willing are you to loot a town as opposed to taking out targets with possible loot away from any open spaces where you become the loot holding prey?

• Like 1

Risk vs reward. As a "sniper", how willing are you to loot a town as opposed to taking out targets with possible loot away from any open spaces where you become the loot holding prey?

LOL true, I just never think of shooting people for their stuff.

Military bases and areas are great for premium level loot, but as mentioned, the risk is quite great in these places.

• Like 1

Just go any town inland. If you want civilian guns that you can snipe with, hit up towns like Staroye, Kozlovka, Pusta etc. These towns very rarely are looted out and can be accessed to get you moderately geared within 20 minutes of spawning.

• Like 1

Being a sniper, I'm looking for good towns that are rich in ammo, guns and clothing. However, I also need food, water and medical supplies. Industrial loot would also help, since I need an improvised backpack.

Thanks!

Wow, sounds like although you are a sniper, your loot needs are just like everyone else's.  :D

• Like 1

I think Cherno is the best town. Though you have to take care not to shoot at ungeared bambis. 

I've been to Cherno quite often lately, though I hardly ever used to go there, before. I'm looking for cars or buses that spawn in the area a lot. There are a lot of buildings that have a line of sights on the vehicles in Cherno. You can get onto roofs via some scaffoldings. You can even sit in a forest and snipe one of the car spawns or protect your friends rebuilding a car from there. 

I really like sniper as a support for a group to protect them while doing something else. I don't like getting sniped out of the blue (who does?), but going to Cherno you have to accept that risk and watch the rooftops. Most of the time, people are even at marksman distance, so an SKS will be more than good enough for the job. I find sniping a bit boring. I prefer chasing players I spotted and getting myself either in a position to talk to them or to shoot them.

I think Cherno is the best town. Though you have to take care not to shoot at ungeared bambis. 

I've been to Cherno quite often lately, though I hardly ever used to go there, before. I'm looking for cars or buses that spawn in the area a lot. There are a lot of buildings that have a line of sights on the vehicles in Cherno. You can get onto roofs via some scaffoldings. You can even sit in a forest and snipe one of the car spawns or protect your friends rebuilding a car from there. 

I really like sniper as a support for a group to protect them while doing something else. I don't like getting sniped out of the blue (who does?), but going to Cherno you have to accept that risk and watch the rooftops. Most of the time, people are even at marksman distance, so an SKS will be more than good enough for the job. I find sniping a bit boring. I prefer chasing players I spotted and getting myself either in a position to talk to them or to shoot them.

Yeah, I snipe as part of a group. There's no point sniping lone wolf, what's the damned point? I would just be wasting ammo and being an asshole if I KoSd for no reason. I always keep an MP5 handy in case I need some CQC.

I like to play quiet sometimes and loan wolfing it can be fun. Survival, because you know your most likely dead by a large group hehe.

Its the unknown factor, can i survive through all of this. Can i get out, and play a stealth sniper. How well will i do against all of these bullies that are taking over the city.

Its fun, and i encourage more to give it a try. If you can survive that is =D

Thanks!

Since the type of gear you want, will be in and out as quick as you can. I recommend any northern, or central towns. Basically for food, if you don't hunt. If you hunt only? i recommend to avoid towns all together and stay to the bush lines.

All major towns, have a good abundance of food, and water. Some items like new carry case, extra rags etc.. all towns can carry these.

If you like to play a tad dangerous, all military towns or close by the new barracks, and tents have a good abundance of items you may need.

Gorka, backpacks if not fully ghillie pants, boots, and vests sometimes you have to loot up fast and get out.

Even sometimes we are forced to mend up our gear and stay hidden.

Central towns are your best bet for common loot. For military type loot i recommend military tents, at tent city, vybor, Sobor, crash sites, and Nwaf. I am not sure about the new places as i haven't had the time to explore them.

Northern cities and towns along that major road all seem to carry a large amount of food, and basic clothing.

Basically towns and cities are our worst enemy. Military areas are a death trap ready to happen, with the server hoppers, and multi groups looking for you.

Best bet, join lower pop servers if you really need to loot up.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

@7 i wish bambis where not so clever to point and shoot, or trap you. I trust a bambis not anymore. However i try to avoid them at all costs and let them do their own things as they can give away your position without ever firing a shot.

Child's backpacks can carry MP5's and pm73 btw. Pistols etc... so even though they haven't gone to the military areas, they are still geared to the teeth and hang out in places to see if they can get free gear from someone.

@7 i wish bambis where not so clever to point and shoot, or trap you. I trust a bambis not anymore. However i try to avoid them at all costs and let them do their own things as they can give away your position without ever firing a shot.

Child's backpacks can carry MP5's and pm73 btw. Pistols etc... so even though they haven't gone to the military areas, they are still geared to the teeth and hang out in places to see if they can get free gear from someone.

You still don't have to snipe them, unless they pose a thread. A good sniper should not be seen or get near bambis anyway. They have nothing to lose against a guy with a scoped rifle and will do anything to get it. However, since the new spawnpoints have been introduced not so many people spawn in Cherno now anyway. It's hard to judge, who is a worthy target. Generally, you can fire a warning shot. If they run away, they are no trouble, if they come closer to investigate, put them down ;)

The reason to snipe people and preferably by headshot, is to loot them, like someone said. So you have little to gain from ungeared peeps anyway.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

until regional loot control i added lets hope it will be easy.

Or

you could wait until the next update.

mhh... the best town that has it all would probably be zelenogorsk, plenty of mmilitary around there,

also many deer stands to the south, medical house in zeleno itself, but no hospital, and of course loads of residential spawn areas

slightly southwest of zelenogorsk are a few industrial spawnpoints, but not that many

all in all zelenogorsk is a very high risk and high reward town, kind of like berezino,

though berezino doesn't have all that much reward in form of loot from buildings, but from corpses

also zelenogorsk can be sniped at from the west and east, and especially southeast and southwest easily,

even from some small cabins at the edge of the hills or a red barn with a lot of pine trees around

if you want to snipe someone, zelenogorsk is a pretty good place, and on empty servers you can loot all the stuff you can imagine there

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

Gorka is a great town to loot if you're new since its close to the coast. Theres six or seven hunting stands around the town, a police station and a cop car and at least ten more possible gun spawns.

A lot of people go there though so theres quite a large chance for encounters.

Or you can kill them in police stations

b52u1ZW.jpg

Or in military bases and eating their food over their still warm corpse

Bw9U2iz.jpg

Or starting a war in NWAF and collecting loot from the fallen

Aqe5tVu.jpg

Edited by General Zod

FYI Winchester ammo is super rare at the moment in my experience. Since 0.59 went stable I've found just one pack of 40 rounds .308 and one snap loader. 

Edited by wacktopia

If i'm not wrong, the Win ammo comes in 20round boxes?  I open mine and get 40 rounds.  I found them in smaller towns like Staroye, Mysta, Mogilevka, etc.

As for good towns to loot:

Zelenogorsk

Kamenka

(Cherno / Elektro)

Novy/Stary Sabor

NWAF and regional

Vybor

Novodmitrovsk

Svetlojarsk

I find good loot everywhere I look.  Going from Ratnoe to Pavlovo?  Don't forget to check Grishino, and the various helicopter crash sites between Stary Sobor and Zelenogorsk.  If you want .308 ammo, just check every house and civilian vehicle that you see.  

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but why the hell does it even exist?  Military loot spawns in military areas, industrial in industrial, civilian in civilian, agricultural in agricultural.  Just cover ground, lots of it.  You will eventually find what you are looking for, or so much other stuff that you won't care what you were looking for to begin with.

There is practically no thought involved at all; just look for stuff, and you will find what you find.  If you want specific things, try one of the trading threads.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

I find good loot everywhere I look.  Going from Ratnoe to Pavlovo?  Don't forget to check Grishino, and the various helicopter crash sites between Stary Sobor and Zelenogorsk.  If you want .308 ammo, just check every house and civilian vehicle that you see.  

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but why the hell does it even exist?  Military loot spawns in military areas, industrial in industrial, civilian in civilian, agricultural in agricultural.  Just cover ground, lots of it.  You will eventually find what you are looking for, or so much other stuff that you won't care what you were looking for to begin with.

There is practically no thought involved at all; just look for stuff, and you will find what you find.  If you want specific things, try one of the trading threads.

+1

People need to get out of the 'gear i want' mindset and more into the 'gear i need' mindset. once you do that things always fall into place if you stop camping elekto/brezino/etc and play the game. 

@ OP if your goal is to play a 'sniper' character, remember snipers are more then shooting everything from really far away. Patience, discipline, and the element of surprise are the best weapons at your disposal. Once you have some cargo space, ample food + drink, and a sitck that goes BANG in the general direction of the bad guys, most geared players are just foot-mobile loot containers for you to raid if you play smart :)

• Like 1

Nomenklatura and Dosvidanya are excellent loot town - M4s just lying around. I think they're in the north west of the map somewhere. Check em out.

• Like 1

Finding a good sniping rifle and ammo is your only problem - being a sniper you know how to do that. You know where to look and you know it could take an hour or a week.

Or pick up a no-scope Mosin and play Stalingrad.. you can find those anywhere at all. A talented mid-range sniper can one-shot drop a dodging fly stone dead with a Mosin-Nagent.

Wear any damaged crap clothes you find on the way from spawn, and a schoolkid backpack (who cares), and a hat, - anything damaged the other players usually leave behind -  make yourself a stone knife, plus grab anything you find that you can melee with. If you come across a sewing or leather kit then fix what your wearing to 'worn' in 10 seconds.. there's plenty of ALL this stuff everywhere, even after looters have gone through 20 times.

OK - IMO

FIRST take 2-3 bags of rice (or a bunch of cans) and 2 or 3 canteens of water
go hang out in Chapaevsk 

the high-rise city on the hill between Cherno and the airstrip
you'll have as many sniping opportunities as you can deal with.

That place is a sniper training ground - it is like Stalingrad - you need to know your way around, learn the ground and roof routes, know the (only) two water pumps (police cars and water are good sniper bait), know when you're overlooked and where from, know what to do when you're located (you will be), hone your sense of danger, know your exits and boltholes and when to stealth, where to hide, when to run (and where to) know the available lines of fire (there are SO MANY), which buildings and windows give oversight on which areas, and what are your blind spots.

It's a REAL education for a solo dude, you won't be lonely.

check youtube see some of the stuff that happens there

xx

[edit] The hunting hides all have either a canteen, binocs, a rangefinder, or a Mosin suppressor in them, often they have two or three of these things together. Not many players want that stuff so it tends to lie around, always check as you go past.

Edited by pilgrim