jefc_uk

Trying to squeeze a few more fps - cpu upgrade?

I've read elsewhere that DayZ doesn't use GPU much, so rather than upgrading my 2GB GTX 760 I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU.

I currently have an i5-750 which https://www.cpubenchmark.nethas at 3,734

Thinking of an i7-870 which can be had for about £100 and is benchmarked at 5,476

Anyone willing to hazard a guess at how much impact this would have on my fps? Should I get nmore RAM? I have 16gb.

with a i5 4460 + gtx 750ti i get between 20-30 in big cities and up to 80 in open areas, with the gpu bottlenecking and settings mid-high. ram upgrade wouldnt bring any benefit.

but... wait, save your money, see what the new engine modules bring and dont buy a 6-year old cpu.

greets

with a i5 4460 + gtx 750ti i get between 20-30 in big cities and up to 80 in open areas, with the gpu bottlenecking and settings mid-high. ram upgrade wouldnt bring any benefit.

but... wait, save your money, see what the new engine modules bring and dont buy a 6-year old cpu.

greets

I get like 10-15fps in villages, towns  and cities. It regularly drops below 10... Gotta be my CPU bottlenecking. Point taken about the 6 year old CPU though.

I've read elsewhere that DayZ doesn't use GPU much, so rather than upgrading my 2GB GTX 760 I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU.

I currently have an i5-750 which https://www.cpubenchmark.nethas at 3,734

Thinking of an i7-870 which can be had for about £100 and is benchmarked at 5,476

Anyone willing to hazard a guess at how much impact this would have on my fps? Should I get nmore RAM? I have 16gb.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but apparently you have overclocked your i5-750 to about it's max. The i7-870 runs standard at 2.9 so unless you overclock that too I guess it would be a downgrade?

Well correct me if I'm wrong but apparently you have overclocked your i5-750 to about it's max. The i7-870 runs standard at 2.9 so unless you overclock that too I guess it would be a downgrade?

Haven't overclocked my CPU at all. Tried overclocking my GPU (referred to in different thread) but didn't make any difference, which now makes sense.

You've made me realise though that I should try overclocking my CPU. Thanks! I hadn't even thought of that. I think the i5-750 is pretty good for overclocking though my cooling is nothing fancy... I'll give it a try though. Would love to stay over 20fps.

Edited by jefc_uk

Haven't overclocked my CPU at all. Tried overclocking my GPU (referred to in different thread) but didn't make any difference, which now makes sense.

You've made me realise though that I should try overclocking my CPU. Thanks! I hadn't even thought of that. I think the i5-750 is pretty good for overclocking though my cooling is nothing fancy... I'll give it a try though. Would love to stay over 20fps.

Hmm, strange, I thought the 750 ran standard at 2.67 (have one myself) but maybe there were other versions. I see some specs about standard and "turbo speed" but am not sure what it means, I overclocked it for a while to 3.4 and it made some difference but not much. Please be aware you DO need good cooling if you overclock or you may fry the CPU. I advise you to do some research into your CPU before you overclock and make sure it is not already running at it's maximum. (but you would notice soon enough with your system freezing or not even booting)

Hmm, strange, I thought the 750 ran standard at 2.67 (have one myself) but maybe there were other versions. I see some specs about standard and "turbo speed" but am not sure what it means, I overclocked it for a while to 3.4 and it made some difference but not much. Please be aware you DO need good cooling if you overclock or you may fry the CPU. I advise you to do some research into your CPU before you overclock and make sure it is not already running at it's maximum. (but you would notice soon enough with your system freezing or not even booting)

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the new renderer will arrive and solve all my problems before I get a chance to try any overclocking. Hm. Maybe.

Yah, definitely don't go upgrading parts for DayZ specifically at this point in time.  There's no point and the risk factor is high.

When and if you do, consider the Mobo and GPU bottleneck issues also, as others have pointed out, and also consider any power consumption/supply you may encounter.

If OC then make sure you've got good coolant too :)

Ok, so CPU cycles seems to be the answer. I overclocked to 3.8ghz and got lovely fps around 40-45, dropping to 20 at times. But.... I also got a couple of BSODs, despite CPU temperature being ok, peaking at around 85. Now am clocked at 3ghz which gives a fairly steady 30fps which I can handle.

One thing - could my overclocking be causing rubber banding type effects? I'll be running along and suddenly my character will be transported back to where he was a few moments earlier. I'd call it rubber banding, others might call it desync I guess. I've always got a bit of that, but it seems worse now. Might just be the latest build (on 0.59).

Edited by jefc_uk

I would advise trying out the new UI before anything, as it takes a load off of the cpu and puts it on the gpu. I rarely drop below 20 in big cities now and anywhere else im hitting 30 minimum up to 80+. I'm currently running a FX8320 OCd@3.7ghz and a R9 270X with 16gb RAM off a Saumsung Evo SSD.

Ok, so CPU cycles seems to be the answer. I overclocked to 3.8ghz and got lovely fps around 40-45, dropping to 20 at times. But.... I also got a couple of BSODs, despite CPU temperature being ok, peaking at around 85. Now am clocked at 3ghz which gives a fairly steady 30fps which I can handle.

One thing - could my overclocking be causing rubber banding type effects? I'll be running along and suddenly my character will be transported back to where he was a few moments earlier. I'd call it rubber banding, others might call it desync I guess. I've always got a bit of that, but it seems worse now. Might just be the latest build (on 0.59).

This makes no sense...you first stated your CPU was running @3,734, now you say it's unstable @3.8 and are running it at @3...which is 0.7 lower than your original speed but you have increased fps...

Am I save to say you are making a lot of typos?

I would advise trying out the new UI before anything, as it takes a load off of the cpu and puts it on the gpu. I rarely drop below 20 in big cities now and anywhere else im hitting 30 minimum up to 80+. I'm currently running a FX8320 OCd@3.7ghz and a R9 270X with 16gb RAM off a Saumsung Evo SSD.

I just couldn't get on with newui, but thanks for the suggestion. I am happy with ~30fps on average and no BSODs at 3ghz in the last couple of hours.

This makes no sense...you first stated your CPU was running @3,734, now you say it's unstable @3.8 and are running it at @3...which is 0.7 lower than your original speed but you have increased fps...

Am I save to say you are making a lot of typos?

You're not entirely save to say I am making a lot of typos, though it would be safe to say I was a little bit unclear in my original post. 3,734 referred to a benchmark from the cited website.

hz

I just couldn't get on with newui, but thanks for the suggestion. I am happy with ~30fps on average and no BSODs at 3ghz in the last couple of hours.

You're not entirely save to say I am making a lot of typos, though it would be safe to say I was a little bit unclear in my original post. 3,734 referred to a benchmark from the cited website.

Well okay if I reread your first post and I guess I was assuming you were talking about Mhz and you never corrected this when I was reacting to it and was surprised about it.

Anyway, like I said, I was able to overclock my i5-750 to 3.4 Mhz and it ran 100% stable for about 2 months. I downclocked it again because I didn't feel it gave me that much more fps and didn't want to "fatigue" my CPU faster than necessary and as it ran hotter I got annoyed by the increased sound of the fans. Also, I tend to avoid bigger cities and my fps in the country and villages is good enough.

I had better results by tuning the graphic settings. I use this utility: https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228617-release-dayz-config-tweak-tool/

Be sure to do some research about how to tweak as lowering some graphic settings will increase your fps as processes get shifted from the GPU to the CPU.

I don't think the rubberbanding has anything to do with your overclocking, like you said it is desync and has more to do with the servers struggling with the added content in the latest patch I think.

BTW I ran the tests in your first link and the passmark rating of my system was 2445.1 (complete system specs in my sig)

When you talk about your CPU rating I am not sure at what value you are looking, or are you just using the charts?

When you talk about your CPU rating I am not sure at what value you are looking, or are you just using the charts?

I was just using the charts - I haven't run any benchmarks on my own system.

I note that you were ok on 3.4ghz. I think I'm going to try that since it's halfway between 3 and 3.8 and maybe I won't get the BSODs. I'm not bothered about fatiguing my CPU as I'm thinking of upgrading in the next 12 months anyway. Thanks for yout input.

I just ran that benchmark software and my passmark was 2795.4, was is the score relative to though?

Full specs are as follows -

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2

CPU: FX8320 OC'd @3.7 (4.0ghz Turbo)

RAM: 16gb Kingston Hyper-X BEAST 1600mhz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120gb

GFX: AMD R9 270X 2gb

Yah, definitely don't go upgrading parts for DayZ specifically at this point in time.  There's no point and the risk factor is high.

When and if you do, consider the Mobo and GPU bottleneck issues also, as others have pointed out, and also consider any power consumption/supply you may encounter.

If OC then make sure you've got good coolant too :)

I second that. Spare the hardware, as well as the wallet, and see what happens farther down the line during development.

As above, I wouldn't bother upgrading to an i7 870. I was actually running one of those in my 2010 and it was pretty outdated by the time I switched it out a few years ago. Personally I'd wait until you can afford to splash on something a bit more modern that will last you longer.

Don't upgrade. You want to make a bigger update when you do the upgrade. Probably better just go for Skylake with a good motherboard and DDR4 RAM in the future. Or something like a cheap used Sandy Bridge like i5/i7 2500/2600K or similar level.

Depending on what you play a bigger upgrade could give a nice performance boost. DayZ is so badly optimized that you won't likely see much of a difference in that game.

Nope. NEVER compare 2 cpu's based on clock speed. That's practically a sin in pc building