Minouru

Map fixes

Hello I am a new player to the game DayZ, I actually bought the game back in 2014 but couldn't play it as the laptop i had would barely run it even on low settings, but now i have a brand new laptop and it runs dayz.

One of the suggestions I've really been wanting to see happen is a map fix, I want to at least be able to see where my character is on the map instead of needing to alt tab every time i want to check the online map and have only approximate guesses as to where I currently reside in the game.

I realize that DayZ is famous for its realistic views on its approach but wouldn't it be nice to have a map where you could see where you are even possibly add friends in game and see where they are? Have it as an option for your friends to even set if they want to be shown on their friends maps or not, just in case we have those betrayals, bandits are so infamous for. 

Another idea is to actually label the cities on the map or at very least the major cities so new players will have an idea of what some may be talking about or have a place in mind to set out to.

The last thought I had regarding the map system would be to have a simple distance measure and how long it would take to traverse over the terrain to said target, somewhat like a gps but without the tedious voice telling you to turn left every 5 minutes.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: Definitely NO.

You are after the wrong game if you want the game to tell you where you are without using your own navigational skills (no matter how bad or basic they are). 

Imagine "you" wake up on a beach with nothing but a flare and some rags in your pocket, where are you? Oh that's right your built in GPS unit with personal locator beacon tracking for your friends is also there..... knock, knock, it's COD or Battlefield calling.

• Like 2

there are going to be mods which will support that stuff (i guess), but you shouldnt expect that feature in dayz vanilla. its all about player skill, in this case read signs and learn your surroundings - thats one  of the benefits you get for investing time in the game, diffrent from eg a perk system. basically unrealistic as well, cause u wouldnt rewake repetetively after death - but unfortunately we can't erase players brains... The ingame map will be redone after all map changes are done (i guess - again).

basically the game gives you multiple tools to navigate the map - u simply have to learn the use of them. u wont if u keep using browser maps.

Edited by edwin3

I want to at least be able to see where my character is on the map...

No... learn to navigate. I hate that feature in ARMA II, III and mods for those. Some at least force you to have a working GPS unit to give you waypoints and map markers.

The only thing I'm willing to conceed here is. . If you find a Pristine Map, then it should NAME all of the cities. If you pull out a stretch map today of anywhere, any place, it will.

The fact that it just shows roads (without numbers, mind you) and conglomerations of what look to be towns is. . Frankly underdeveloped.

Learn to use the compass and in game map and how to read the terrain.  I'm willing to bet I could find myself within a few meters on a brand new map with a completely random spawn if I had both a compass and map.  It's not hard.

well here is your map,

right click on dayz in library change the last setting from whatever to izurvive.com (webbrowser) when you hit alt tab it will bring up izurvive.com

The other thing you can do is create a group, open it up on the 1st computer and download the apps on the phone or 2nd computer.

you can auto track your position.

Its basically the same as pulling the map out of your backpack and putting a mark with a pen on it.

After a long time the only thing you will need is to use the compass, and know your roads.

That's most likely the only help you will get in dayz, as its the most feared item people do not want.

Heck at night you can navigate by the stars if you know anything about the night sky. It's a realistic sky.