Statsmakten

A vision of what DayZ 1.0 could look like

Since the current version of DayZ only uses a tech prototype of the new UI, I got curious as to how the final DayZ will look. And I got so curious that I went ahead and made my own vision of it! It is more or less based on the devs new UI, but with design and animation implemented. My starting point with the concept was that the immersion of the game should start right at the main menu, thus steering the player mentality towards fearing the environment rather than feeling bloodlust and head to Elektro for some KoS:) 

• Like 26

awesome thats exactly what i was hoping for. Now can you take the black spatter and change it to red?

To show blood that is, or would that make the menu show up too much?

Since the current version of DayZ only uses a tech prototype of the new UI, I got curious as to how the final DayZ will look. And I got so curious that I went ahead and made my own vision of it! It is more or less based on the devs new UI, but with design and animation implemented. My starting point with the concept was that the immersion of the game should start right at the main menu, thus steering the player mentality towards fearing the environment rather than feeling bloodlust and head to Elektro for some KoS:) 

Also add short music upon spawning, like track called suspense_7 and suspense_8 from the dayz mod soundtrack

(2:44)

https://youtu.be/r68uZehZqN8?t=2m43s

• Like 3

awesome thats exactly what i was hoping for. Now can you take the black spatter and change it to red?

To show blood that is, or would that make the menu show up too much?

I played around a little with colors at first but it was a bit too much. I'd rather have an eerie atmospheric feeling than a horror scene, more survivalesque:)

Now i am curious, what tools where you using?

I used After Effects + Photoshop and then some Premiere for final cuts and adding sound effects.

Holy goodness. This is fantastic work. Speak with the Devs! Maybe you can corroborate together and make this game an even shinier gem.

That's excellent , it really makes me feel more like this is a Horror game and not a bright and sunny shoot em up. The only thing I would like to see is the world around you continuing when you go to options (in video the cloud and game freezes it seems when he brings up pause menu). Otberwise great work .

• Like 1

That's excellent , it really makes me feel more like this is a Horror game and not a bright and sunny shoot em up. The only thing I would like to see is the world around you continuing when you go to options (in video the cloud and game freezes it seems when he brings up pause menu). Otberwise great work .

Well once in the game it'll all be bright and sunny again I suppose, but I still think an eerie main menu would really help with the immersion. About the game freezing when in menu, it's actually not doing that but I suppose there was too little movement in the shot I chose:)

Very well done!

Just a pro tip for next time, if there is one. 

When you want to film something in-game (or even take a screenshot), but don't want the crosshairs in there, just rotate your character's body so he's facing about 70-90 degrees off of what the target for the frame is, then doubletap left ALT so you go into freelook mode. From there, if you move your head over and look at the target, you should notice that your crosshairs will eventually stop following your cursor and leave the screen if you look far enough over.

If that was confusing, I literally just made a video on this halfway through writing this post, because I figured it would be. Enjoy.

Really nice mate. Most of the polishing for DayZ will occur when they move to beta.

Only question is, why a survival guide? I love this game because you have to figure stuff out.

really nice how you built on the original logo (and integrated twd intro style :-)

and, finally! we don't have to check our backpack if we are hungry! *extra beans* for that

Now i am curious, what tools where you using?

No programming involved I must admit. It's all Photoshop and After Effects, plus Premiere for final edit and audio.

When you want to film something in-game (or even take a screenshot), but don't want the crosshairs in there, just rotate your character's body so he's facing about 70-90 degrees off of what the target for the frame is

This is such a simple and smart trick, it feels so obvious now I can't believe I didn't think about it. Thank you sir!

Only question is, why a survival guide? I love this game because you have to figure stuff out.

Maybe "Survival guide" is the wrong word, but I feel that DayZ has grown in a very organic way which means that a lot of functions may feel very logical for veterans but new players will be very confused. There needs to be a way to explain core features of the game in a pedagogic way, otherwise new players risk being overwhelmed and consequently give negative reviews simply because they didn't understand the game mechanics. To put it simple: The game shouldn't tell you how to survive, but it should explain the tools for you to figure out how to survive.