igor-vk

New vehicles - discusion

Experimental (with vehicles) is out for over a week or so. Id like to know what fellow survivors think of new vehicles. How do you like looks of them. How do you like required parts? I personally like new cars, I see Lada Niva every day at least one. They are cheap robust and capable off-road cars used by hunters, foresters and everyone that has to drive off roads. GAZ Volga was most luxurius Soviet car. There are also leaked pics of Škoda 1203 van known from mod.

I like how cars look, how many parts they have. I especially like the fact that they now have different wheels (compared to mod where same wheel did fit on ATV and URAL truck). My only complain is size of new cars. I think they should be bigger compared to our carachter, at least 25-30%. 

This is not topic about vehicle handling, that will change in next updates. Remember V3S that lounched in orbit and things like that.

I'm really enjoying the vehicles present in game! I've only rode shotgun to someone who was gracious enough to let me ride with them for a short time, but it was glorious. 

One thing I'll say is, it's extremely difficult and time consuming to fix up a car. - With that said, I do think that there should be a heavier population of cars/parts for cars. Perhaps even some already running vehicles placed into game.

Vehicles I'd like to still see are, Motorcycle, Dirtbike, Police Car, Humvee, and some sort of luxury car.

One thing I'll say is, it's extremely difficult and time consuming to fix up a car. - With that said, I do think that there should be a heavier population of cars/parts for cars. 

I think it should be difficult to fix the car. But car parts should spawn in different type of buildings, like  big industrial buildings and those red brick garages and smaller parts in those smaller garages that are everywhere in bigger towns. That way it would be more dangerous to find parts. Finding wheels in garden sheds in kinda dumb to me.

• Like 1

Vehicles should always be the best source of vehicle parts. If the Dev's are careful with the regional control, they could spawn hundreds of cars in a single town and yet only provide enough usable (not ruined) parts to fix one or two vehicles in total.

- The more vehicles in an area, the lower the chance of success. (both for the mechanic and griefers)

- The more scattered the vehicles are, the more time is required for scavenging parts.

- The more complex the vehicle diagnosis system / parts retrieval & inspection/testing is, the less reliance is needed on the previous two for making it difficult.

• Like 1

Vehicles should always be the best source of vehicle parts. If the Dev's are careful with the regional control, they could spawn hundreds of cars in a single town and yet only provide enough usable (not ruined) parts to fix one or two vehicles in total.

- The more vehicles in an area, the lower the chance of success. (both for the mechanic and griefers)

- The more scattered the vehicles are, the more time is required for scavenging parts.

- The more complex the vehicle diagnosis system / parts retrieval & inspection/testing is, the less reliance is needed on the previous two for making it difficult.

The two glaring problems I can see with this idea is that they would need to make tons of unique vehicle models for it to feel natural and it would probably kill performance to have hundreds or even thousands of "functional" vehicles on the map at a time (not to mention they would need to spend a lot of time and resources trying to make this work right.)

The classic system they have now of only a few vehicles with parts scattered throughout the map is the better choice for them, for now. That could change towards the end of development or when modding comes around, but the change is way too drastic mid-development.

When someone says 'hundreds of x' they're not usually referring to an exact number. It wasn't the focus of the idea. It was meant to be an example of how the game could use the CLE Regional control system to spawn a large number of vehicles in a localised area, but only spawn enough parts between them for players to be able to repair one or two vehicles in total.

Secondly, there's what? A handful of character models, a number of houses, churches, police stations, 'static' vehicles, fire stations, water pumps...You're arguing a point using a very subjective view of repetition. Not that clever design couldn't mitigate that problem either - vehicles have interchangeable parts. So instead of having say 15 Off-roaders in one area to scavenge parts from, there could be 5 offroaders, 5 sedans and 5 vans, you just have to make the bulky and less interchangeable parts such as tyres and panels more abundant, while using the smaller, highly interchangeable items as the driving factor in the vehicle 'economy'.

Edited by MrAerospace

I've only seen one of the new cars :( and I haven't seen people driving around, only hear a few engines here and there ... I hope to see some more vehicles per map , I really wanna get my hands on one (and if it glitches out like I've heard they do I'll be able to find another relatively soon).

Can't wait for helicopters (maybe boats too? ).

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I notice the car batteries scattered about in .59. Do we need a car battery and plugs for the new cars, like the trucks? Or just the battery for the cars?

Since i don't know, and don't have the answers.

if

Are the new vehicles in .59 persistent if we gather all the resources up to fix one and drive it off the map.

does it belong to you the next time you spawn in after 4 hr refreshes, or 12 hr server restarts ?

then

will they become persistent down the road if a group finds vehicles and puts them into their compound inside a car tent?

if not

then whats the use of vehicles with so much effort in finding items for that vehicle?

End vehicle hunting.

??

Since i don't know, and don't have the answers.

if

Are the new vehicles in .59 persistent if we gather all the resources up to fix one and drive it off the map.

does it belong to you the next time you spawn in after 4 hr refreshes, or 12 hr server restarts ?

then

will they become persistent down the road if a group finds vehicles and puts them into their compound inside a car tent?

if not

then whats the use of vehicles with so much effort in finding items for that vehicle?

End vehicle hunting.

??

Vehicles are indeed persistent,  Brooks and I stashed a bus in a barn, and came back to get it the next day.  I'll go check on a sedan parked in the woods later tonight.

They should be as persistent as the V3S was way back in .58. ^_^

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

Found a bus for the first time at tent city, I looked up inside the tent, left all the zombies in tact so it seemed nobody was there.... I just thought someone drove it there. Probably did as the spawn was above tent city.

Not north but right in the middle by the vehicles. I don't believe that's a normal spawn area. It may have been driven there, and server restarted prior. Either way was cool, didn't even bother to check it out. As it was most likely a trap.

So far the off road seems to switch gears randomly.  It will throw itself into reverse and squirrel out.  Occasionally getting straight up stuck in reverse.

This is the experience myself and two others have had any ways.

Honestly its cool they added more cars, and the different choices are nice, but.....    

I have only found a bus with no wheels in cherno, and decided i didnt really want to hang around trying to fix it then get shot in the face after 20 mins of trying to find parts.

Also found a sedan, and was lucky enough to have had a car battery and the correct spark plug on me at the time, then i noticed the car had one wheel, i then spent well over two hours trying to find more wheels in the neighbouring towns with no luck... Kinda just gave up and was a little bitter about it, realised this is another thing that only groups will have. I found it to be wayyyyyyy to much effort to even bother again, and i am dying to try one out! 

Adding in cars, choppers and bicycles is great, But i dont want to spent 99% of my time hauling single parts back and forth for the next 5 play sessions to travel faster, and its only gonna get harder with more parts and tools needed to fix them up. Then getting shot after all this would be soul crushing!  :o  :|  :(

I just hope motorbikes are much easier to fix so solo players can get a vehicle happening! Also hope this game doesn't become a hoarding simulator..... there is no reason to kill a zombie in this game, Itd be cool if the attention shifted to areas where people HAD to kill zombies in order to find some of these parts... like you could only find batteries and plugs after clearing a full warehouse full of zombies or something. I dunno, i just reckon itd be way more fun than searching the same 5 sheds a thousand times and just being unlucky!

Friends, I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to get a sedan working, ıt's indeed hard work, but you get the results of your hardwork. The new vehicles are really fun to drive.

Honestly its cool they added more cars, and the different choices are nice, but.....    

I have only found a bus with no wheels in cherno, and decided i didnt really want to hang around trying to fix it then get shot in the face after 20 mins of trying to find parts.

Also found a sedan, and was lucky enough to have had a car battery and the correct spark plug on me at the time, then i noticed the car had one wheel, i then spent well over two hours trying to find more wheels in the neighbouring towns with no luck... Kinda just gave up and was a little bitter about it, realised this is another thing that only groups will have. I found it to be wayyyyyyy to much effort to even bother again, and i am dying to try one out! 

Adding in cars, choppers and bicycles is great, But i dont want to spent 99% of my time hauling single parts back and forth for the next 5 play sessions to travel faster, and its only gonna get harder with more parts and tools needed to fix them up. Then getting shot after all this would be soul crushing!  :o  :|  :(

I just hope motorbikes are much easier to fix so solo players can get a vehicle happening! Also hope this game doesn't become a hoarding simulator..... there is no reason to kill a zombie in this game, Itd be cool if the attention shifted to areas where people HAD to kill zombies in order to find some of these parts... like you could only find batteries and plugs after clearing a full warehouse full of zombies or something. I dunno, i just reckon itd be way more fun than searching the same 5 sheds a thousand times and just being unlucky!

Life is hard, dayz is harder.

Life is hard, dayz is harder.

Not so much hard, but just overly time consuming. It just means that anyone who is working will be very hard pushed to find the time to fix a car, if you are lucky enough to come across one. It might actually be impossible to do in an evening unless you are just extremely lucky finding parts. 

I think they should spawn with all the tyres, maybe missing one... And just need new plugs and a battery. I love that this game has grinds for top weapons and gear, but making it impossible for solo players to do stuff like this is mundane. Idk im always fixing my MX bikes and i really dont want to spend 6 hours doing it here!

My experience hasn't been the same as you folk.  Granted, I play with friends, but even running around solo it hasn't been too difficult to get a car going.  Tires and parts are pretty abundant.  So are the vehicles themselves.

Maybe I've just been lucky though.

Found Vs3 today, god it is slower than it was before.

Does tire condition affects vehicle speed ?

(I know how to change gears)

We build all vehicles together. With some friends its not that tricky.

The new part system is pritty cool and so the manual shifting. The sedan is my favorit car. High speed paired with adequat offroad abillities. A bit annoying is the fact that the car becomes instable on top speed. Another thing is that you cant drive with to cars closer then 50m. to each other. It feels like lagging.

The Offroad is the 2nd best imo. nice speed and good offroad abillities but more instable which comes from the very soft suspension.

The Bus is a great vehicle too. Its a thing you must have driven, even when its not very usefull in your all day play.

The V3S ... Im not sured if its just buggy or was nerfed to the ground. Even with pristine parfs only you are not able to go over smaler objectes like pedestrian walk or smaler stones witch is a shame for a 6x6 offroadable truck! It tested 2 different trucks. Both just reached 60 with shift. Anx accelerated realy poor. Even small acclicitys are dramatic in the firdt gear.

So i will keep the sedan and wait for a v3s patch/buff.

Ps. Allways keep your wheels pristine and have a lug wrench + tire repair kit in your inventory

• Like 1

Just got off my first bus, it's been great! First impressions:

1) The manual is clearly bugged, the number of gears it can go up or down is changing, sometimes a gear is changed for you, so often you don't even know on what gear you are (unless the game just didn't register my gear changes properly due to desync or what not; but the sound was there).

2) The Icarus can't make it even past medium hills, I was unable to go from Cherno to Nadezhdino or from Elektro to Staroye no matter what (although maybe that's the fault of the tyres, I don't know).

3) Tyres removed with that lug wrench sometimes disappear.

4) 62km/h seemed like top speed for my bus, although yet again maybe it was the tyres. Acceleration sucks like Helldogz says with Niva.

5) I got my bus in Novoselky; apart from that, I had no luck finding any kind of vehicle (I logged back only to drive so I hopped Svetlo like 10 times to find Niva, to no avail).

Does it still hold true that people just stash their vehicles to use them as containers? Is the spawn location of cars set for servers like it was in 0.58?

I posted issues with the bus, Infected flipped the bus in mid air. Appears the bus driver gets infected chasing after them when driving.

They try to hit the bus, not clearly doing any damage but if you try to take them out in any way, they will flip the bus right over.

I am wondering if arrows can flip it from upside down to right over.

Very fustrating after all that work to get the parts needed, made it to Zel and wham flipped.

Spare parts if you need it, believe it was tx 2-14 server in Zel.

I started this topic only to disscus visual apearence of new vehicles. I knew that handling will be bugged for maybe even next two updates. Still, there are different opinions on vehicle performance all over the forum. Im looking forward to new cars, Im hoping for at least 3 or 4 new models before release (pick-up, blue van from Arma2, maybe Lada sedan or "old hatchback" also from Arma2)

The thing i am extremely annoyed by is the sound when being in a car and in 3rd person,

the sound changes to the sound perceived at the 3rd person cameras position, and the car is EXTREMELY loud

i would really like if the sound you hear would always be at the position your character is in, no matter if 3rd or 1st person

also i get that the cars are pretty loud irl, but no way louder than shots or people screaming at you, you can't hear anything when 3rd person in a car other than the roaring engines

Edited by Zombo