Sign in to follow this  
dayzjohnny

Supressed weapon firing pointless

hi,

in my opinion there are two things strange using supressed weapons and shooting:

1. actually, in the 0.59exp release, the sound of a supressed weapons seems to be very high. if you fire a supressed gun in a mid-size city, you nearly overall hear the firing, making the use of supressors really pointless. my suggestion would be to reduce the noise for supressed weapons.

2. zombie behavior: if i am not wrong, the zombies aggro after firing actually does nearly not change when firing supressed or unsupressed (on 0.59exp). when shooting a zombie with a supressed gun, all zombies in hundreds of meters are aggroing me. that feels wrong. if i use a winchester unsupressed the zombie aggro should be way higher than it is using a supressed pistol.

at the moment, this makes sneaky shooting nearly impossible. it would be awesome, if you could review the sound volume (for players) and the aggro range for zombies.

cheers,

j.

hi,

in my opinion there are two things strange using supressed weapons and shooting:

1. actually, in the 0.59exp release, the sound of a supressed weapons seems to be very high. if you fire a supressed gun in a mid-size city, you nearly overall hear the firing, making the use of supressors really pointless. my suggestion would be to reduce the noise for supressed weapons.

2. zombie behavior: if i am not wrong, the zombies aggro after firing actually does nearly not change when firing supressed or unsupressed (on 0.59exp). when shooting a zombie with a supressed gun, all zombies in hundreds of meters are aggroing me. that feels wrong. if i use a winchester unsupressed the zombie aggro should be way higher than it is using a supressed pistol.

at the moment, this makes sneaky shooting nearly impossible. it would be awesome, if you could review the sound volume (for players) and the aggro range for zombies.

cheers,

j.

its exp what do you expect?

we'll let you know when it's a good idea to fire a gun in a city.  don't wait by the phone.

• Like 1

its not like the movies. And with no other sounds like engines and humans going about there daily lives i imagine this sound would carry in any deserted town to a degree. What they could do to quite them down and make you happy is add sub-sonic ammo thats used with suppressors. Edited by gannon46
  • Like 2

In order for a gun to work properly with a suppressor it needs subsonic ammo, like the VSS uses. Normal ammo will still be loud and the suppressor will wear out very quickly. In the mod there was actually SD ammo for some weapons and perhaps it will arrive some day seeing as they introduced it for the vss.

The silenced weapons dont make much sound if you keep your distance to your target.

• Like 1

Actually you also need sub-sonic ammunition. With normal ammo you have the the bullet's sonic bang even with a suppressor.

Edit: didn't see the sonic stuff already being mentioned in the thread above mine.

Edited by RogueTrooper

Regarding the zeds, that has always been the case. I know Brian spoke about it on a stream months ago, the AI currently don't differentiate between silenced and unsilenced weapons and will aggro the same. You can also aggro them whilst shooting a bow and arrow (not sure if to the same extent or not), it's one of the many things in this game that is subject to change and likely awaiting other modules of the engine to be rewritten or introduced.

Well suppressors actually don't "silence" a weapon.

A .308 will be reduced to about the level of a .223 decibel rating.

.223 will be lowered to a .22 rating.

Not the most scientifically sound explanation, so you may want to research a bit more. That above was my own personal experience and testing with suppressors