SMoss

Status Report - 26 Nov 2015

Are there plans for an improved and more complicated wound treatment system? Or will it be tied to the development of soft skills or something like that?

In short - Yes. I don't want to spoil anything before the team is ready to talk about it - but we're definitely looking at expanding player wounds and the treatment of them. 

• Like 8

Will objects that are moved/destroyed remain so? For how long? Will the picnic tables and light pole reset after server restart? Will we be able to haul these objects to our base? Once in base will these objects have their reset locations set to inside the base? Once moved back out of base will the reset locations be reset to original location?  Will small structures like the wooden barn next the light pole be destructible/movable by a larger object (car/truck/bus)?

I noticed in the newest exp update that the physics was running a little smoother. I threw a bag of rice to another player, when it eventually hit the ground I noticed that the bag was rolling. I haven't seen any item roll on the ground before. They usually just stop. Will the physics of items mirror the physics of the objects from the video? Meaning will items move if touched by players or vehicles? Something similar to Demon/Dark Souls, with less silliness?

Can you speak to the Physics "Up next" feature "Manipulating bodies"? How much manipulating do you foresee possible? Dragging players (dead/alive)? Rolling players/bodies? Positioning players/bodies?

Pitchfork suicide was cool looking, will we see suicide animations for other weapons/items? Stick? Box of nails? Wire? Nooses (rope + tree)? 

The two video clips really opened up new possibilities for what can be done in this game. Can't wait for more.

Jesus man - structure your questions. ;)

1) Till server restart.

2) No.

3) N/A

4) N/A

5) It entirely depends on how things look in testing.

6) I'm generally not sure what you mean by this question - will telephone poles react the same way as someone tossing a canteen? No.

7) We'll have to see how it plays out in test - but initially supporting both dragging and carrying of corpses, and players is critical.

8) We're looking at suicide for most major melee weapons - nothing on the books past that!

• Like 1

What work / progress is exactly being done toward resolving the continuing dual core and low end system issues? 

What type of time frame are we looking at before we start to see work being done on stamina, stealth and other emersion aspects ? 

Would Slow zombies ( The walking dead style ) not be more practical in regards for development and server performance ? 

1) As we've covered in the Status Reports - the programming team is working on resolving the issue. We had a fix out a few builds ago, but it caused other unforeseen side effects that caused it to have to be reverted.

2) Stealth is already functioning - as far as Player stamina, and related area - these will depend on the new player controller hitting stable branch, which as we've mentioned in previous Status Reports is looking like early next year.

3) Most certainly not - not to mention it would violate the little lore we have <3

• Like 3

Hi Brian,

1) Could you tell us something about the mushroom picking mechanic? Is it similar to the one with sticks, or are the mushrooms going to spawn randomly?

2) "Take All" option while looting or swapping backpacks/clothes?

Thank you.

1) I don't want to give away too much before we're ready to talk about it. That said, we'll be using the dynamic events system for this.. soo ;)

2) Most definitely not - much like real life you have to select what you want, and grab it.

• Like 5

To add to this. Is the fruit picking mechanic going to be changed. Someone suggested having the fruit spawn as a dynamic event on the trees themselfs ect.

Yes - Peter wanted to talk about this in the next Status Report - but in short, most definitely yes.

• Like 8

You mentioned a few days ago that the servers were monitoring this weekend to allow you to track down some serious issues, my questions are:

What procedures are taken on the servers to pin down the issues causing "desync" and bad server performance?

I was on a exp server yesterday that had no server messages or status updates, is turning these off a example to try to pin down issues?

I understand having 5 servers insted of 100 for example to pin down issues, but  does not having 1PP servers help to pin down too? If so, please explain how it helps as I am curious.

Any luck so far on tracking the serious issues down?

Thank you Brian and Dev team, can't wait until 1.0 ! Much love!

We operate a special variation of the server executable with profiling functions that allow the programming team to dig into exactly what functions are consuming what resources. In the scenario, we can only operate one instance per server - and we absolutely need every server running at capacity as much as possible, so we have to cut back on the selection to ensure this.

There are no features/functions/etc disabled - it sounds like you experienced a bug.

• Like 4

In short - Yes. I don't want to spoil anything before the team is ready to talk about it - but we're definitely looking at expanding player wounds and the treatment of them. 

Very happy about this!

You asked us on Twitter the other day about how we would like to get info from you and your team in the future. 

Any popular ideas from the fans that you guys are looking into now? Having Dev vs. QA streams would be great!  B)  ;)

Hi Brian,

thx for doing this - first question is mby for Eugen.

sorry for double questions.

1) I only see one 1st and about 7 3rd person EXP Servers from CEU. Any plans to double server numbers and turn them 1st?

2) Legacy systems and -newui / the performance boost is amazing but items in vicinity are so

small. Overall, usability and design is "weird" even for a placeholder, regarding -oldui is a placeholder too. Changes to this are WIP?

2.1) -oldui feels much worse now you know the boost from new. Is it correct to assume that as soon as the blockers

are resolved the complete transition to newui with finished basics will occur?

3) 0.59 is all about vehicle desync - does this also mean multiple crashing vehicles, like a derby, with physics?

4) Also if yes, vehicle desync works before stable push, does that mean player desync works even better? Correlation?

5) Renderer. A treat for the community would be a screenshot of the improved nighttime in a SR in the future. Or is it all about implementation first?

6) Physics and ragdoll, regarding we'll soon have alot of different vehicles and alot of zombies for the first time, will weird(deadly) physics behavior 

be addressed during 0.59 or is in one of these ongoing battles?

thx again

1) Answered that question just a moment ago!

2) Of course the new UI looks silly - its effectively programmer art. It has not been skinned, the design team have not spent nearly the amount of time on it that will be required to roll it out. This is why it is only accessible via a manual start up switch. It is -not ready-. 

When it is - it will replace the legacy technology. :)

3) To say 0.59 is all about vehicle desync is an overstatement. Improving vehicle position sync was one of the things we wanted to improve on for certain. I suppose if you got a bunch of players with a bunch of vehicles together, it COULD be about a demolition derby? Hehheh

4) Both of these systems are going to be iterated upon as development moves forward. Do not expect any of them to be working as expected entirely until the game gets ready to leave Early Access.

5) We just recently showed a good deal of work in progress screenshots from the new renderer - you can bet your bottom that as soon as we're ready to show more, I'll be putting them into the closest Status Report. :)

6) Obviously we are going to be working hard on iterating systems as we move forward, but its important to understand that we are still in core feature development. Nearly all the teams focus is on new systems and tech, and a minimum amount is spent on bug fixing and such - as long as this title is still in its development phase they are going to be bugs, things are going to break - the store warning is there for a reason :)

That said - as we enter beta, most of our resources will switch over to bugfixing - as we *should* see a steady progression towards a more stable and enjoyable experience!

• Like 5

Nice SR again!

On Exp .59 spawned in items are deleted/replaced within a short time (under 1 hour if my tests are correct) without any player interaction. I guess this only a first implementation and not the final behaviour - can you give us any information how this cleanup should work and when a more tuned in cleanup timing should be implemented?

60 minute clean up on non base building type objects is fully intended. The economy needs to keep rotating to keep fresh.

• Like 3

1)Any details on the vehicle modification and how far your planning to do this? Would love to attach a PKM on the passenger side through the window screen!

2)Would you guys consider loading bullets into a mag with a animation? Would really set Dayz from other games.

3)I noticed in the game when shooting the bullet out of a gun and the point of impact on metal you see the bullet hitting. But it's really slow, in real life the flash of the impact would be a lot quicker. Any chance of changing this?

4)When the base building comes along will there be a feature to blocked a door with a sofa or cabinet?

5)Wash watching walking dead and in a scene they gutted a zombie and covered them selfs in it to walk past the zombies without being noticed. Would you think of adding this feature to Dayz in the future? Cheers Brian :)

Hey Brian,

Can you tell us a bit more about "Small Object Interaction (W.I.P.)" and to what scope this is planned to be implemented?

Honestly its a little too early on to go talking in detail. Obviously we need to look at server impact, vulnerabilities in multiplayer situations, client side impact, and so many other edge cases for QA. Peter and I both wanted to give you guys a sneak peek at some of the stuff being worked on - but speaking in detail about something that literally just got merged in that day, without extensive QA/Bug Fixing/Regression and so on will only cause unnecessary hype ;)

Its being worked on, we're excited to see it in game - and testing and iteration will reveal exactly how far we can take it.

• Like 3

Hi,

1) Well.. BE is not the best anti-cheater at the moment as we can see a lot cheater playing / destroying the game..  Devs are thinking to work with another anti-cheater ?

2) New animations system will help to combat hackers / cheaters / scripting ?

1) BattlEye is an *exceptional* anti cheat engine. Additionally, we have used VAC alongside it for the lifecycle of the Early Access offering. There is -no- Anti Cheat out there that can entirely protect a product, let alone something that is constantly changing - merging out old tech, and testing extensive engine side changes. Protecting a title while its being actively developed all the way down to the engine level and still accessible to consumers is a VERY tall order.

2) Merges in of new technology will almost always help cause the cheating community to lose a step - that said its more the player controller that you're probably thinking of. (Which will have the largest impact on glitching and exploiting, rather than cheating). Systems such as the new damage system will have a larger impact on cheating itself.

• Like 2

60 minute clean up on non base building type objects is fully intended. The economy needs to keep rotating to keep fresh.

Does this mean we will never be able to keep loose objects (not related to base building) on the ground , say in our barricaded houses ? I always imagined stashing my guns up agaisnt a wall and all over the floor to look badass , or arranging things in a tent to make it look real :)!

Second Question , will we see barricading make an appearance any time soon ? We now see static objects moving thanks to the last sneak preview on the dev tracker of the car hitting static objects and them moving , so I wonder if that same mechanic would allow us soon, to take some wood we see in the world , and use our hammer and nails we already have to board up windows ! Thanks for taking the time to answer any of these questions and for alreadh getting to a bunch of interesting ones :) !

• Like 1

Jesus man - structure your questions. ;)

1) Till server restart.

2) No.

3) N/A

4) N/A

5) It entirely depends on how things look in testing.

6) I'm generally not sure what you mean by this question - will telephone poles react the same way as someone tossing a canteen? No.

7) We'll have to see how it plays out in test - but initially supporting both dragging and carrying of corpses, and players is critical.

8) We're looking at suicide for most major melee weapons - nothing on the books past that!

I just got too excited.  :D  I don't even know what you answered!  :(  :P  :D

6) I think I was trying to ask if items will react to players like the pole reacted to the car. Can we move items on the ground by walking into them? Like kicking a bag of rice by walking into it.

Hi Brian

1. Have you considered "fake death" animation and "imitate zombie walk"? Just imagine what situations it may bring.
  2. Do you plan to introduce boats? Craftable?
  3. Helicopters now have much complex maintenance\repair\setup, but will they be more complex to fly compared to Arma? Any chance to see ToH flight model?
  4. Hands get bloody. Will clothes get bloody too and washable? May be other stains besides blood (oil, fuel,)?
  5. Will the player hands or face get just dirty, not just bloody?
  6. Any plans on adding sleep to restore stamina quicker, to heal wounds or fractures faster etc.?
  7. Will we be able to use car batteries for other electricity needs? There are inverters that make car battery generate full 220-240 volts. The car can act as a fuel generateor as well.
  8. Will zombies be grabbing players, trying to bite their neck and make them fall to the ground, instead of punchung and tearing?
  9. Have you considered a soccer ball? A fully physics enabled ball to play football\soccer on those great football field in Chernarus? Basketball? Hitting a zombie in the head with a good throw of a basball?
  10. Will we see bandages on the players body parts? Bloody bandages?
  11. Have you considered player corpses degrade? Skeletons in Cherno! Take a skull of your enemy to your base, put it on a pole.
  12. Why we can use animal guts, bones etc for crafting, but we can only eat human meat from player corpses? Human body has much more useful bones than wild boars.
  13. Is it possible (after killing a driver) to keep the steering and throttle as it was at the moment of death, so that vehicle turns speeding to the side, opposed to unrealistically heading straight decreasing speed?
  14. Have you considered making a binocular react to a mousewheel as a focus tuning as in real life?
  15. Will we ever be able to hide under beds or in those wardrobes? Alien Isolation style.
  16. Any chance we could possibly be able to get over much higher fences and walls? Escape through windows?

Thank you in advance. And thanks for DayZ :)

1) Its been considered - (Fake death) however to be honest, I wouldn't classify it a top priority. As far as imitating the walk / stumble of an infected - unlike something like The Walking Dead or Shaun of the Dead - our infected just aren't that gullible ;)

2) Yup! We've mentioned this before. Definitely going to include boats, as well as fixed wing aircraft!

3) We just don't think the TOH flight model/controls work for DayZ. We'd like it to be a little more complex than Arma 2 - but not too much. We're already increasing the barrier to entry via required parts and operational fluids.

4) We've actually been looking at this internally - we would definitely like to allow this, its going to have to be relooked at when some of the major engine work gets merged in towards the begining of next year. Keep your eyes peeled on the SRs.

5) Player faces getting dirty is something we looked at for lifespan (especially for characters that cannot grow beards like females) - we're more than likely going to end up talking in more detail about this when said major engine changes begin to be merged over and our toolset expands.

6) Definitively no. Sleep seemed like an interesting idea - but it just put the player in too many situations we weren't comfortable with. That said, Enforce Script should EASILY allow modders to do just that!

7) I hope you understand when I say I don't want to talk about the electricity system -right now-. Peter and the design team have put a lot of work into it, and I'd like to let them talk about it when they have something to show you all.

8) Honestly - I don't expect to see such a sharp change to animations and behavior for infected like that at this point. The focus is optimization in server cost, navmesh compliance, expanding the models, allowing them to be looted/etc, and generally just improving their existing behavior.

9) I can safely say I have not considered a soccer ball.

10) We definitely are interested in, and working on expanding the wound/damage repair mechanics when it comes to player damage, limbs, bleeding and so on. Some of those changes are still somewhat fluid as the design team is working on them - and waiting on accompanying tech to make it to the main branch - so, patience.

11) Yes - and infact, the DayZ Flies will eventually make a return. It has not been a focus so far, but most certainly yes. We want the decay of corpses to feel organic and not just blink out of existence.

12) Simply put - because we haven't expanded that area of resource management just yet ;)

13) It behaved this way for a great deal of time - if it does not now, then it needs to be written up as a bug!

14) No actually, we haven't looked at changing the control scheme -in that way-. I'm currently happy with the existing method of zooming in / zooming out. That could change however, as we're still in development.

15) I honestly do not expect so, no sir.

16) Peter and I both would love to be able to do this - but we'll have to wait to see if it is possible on the new animation system and paired player controller.

• Like 11

I just got too excited.  :D  I don't even know what you answered!  :(  :P  :D

6) I think I was trying to ask if items will react to players like the pole reacted to the car. Can we move items on the ground by walking into them? Like kicking a bag of rice by walking into it.

In most cases, once the physics system stops calculating the objects movement - it changes to a static object. (Thus - a V3S hitting a boot suddenly ruins its wheels) - that said at least for vehicles we'd like to prevent this and treat the object as dynamic just before the collision. For player movement however.. I'm uncertain - as these things are calculated by the server.

• Like 3

1) Its been considered - (Fake death) however to be honest, I wouldn't classify it a top priority. As far as imitating the walk / stumble of an infected - unlike something like The Walking Dead or Shaun of the Dead - our infected just aren't that gullible ;)

I think he meant along the lines of fooling other players  B)

• Like 1

Yes - Peter wanted to talk about this in the next Status Report - but in short, most definitely yes.

Weeeeeeeeeeee :)

hej brian:

-) what were some things you've reconsidered after getting mixed/negative community feedback?

-) some time ago we got to hear the first "reworked" zombie sounds: is this going to be the general direction for how they will sound in the end?

-) again, why won't you finally confirm krampus?

1) No current plans for a trench coat. It just wouldn't look - or feel right with the existing mechanics. I firmly believe if we're going to do something like that - it should flow with the wind and movement ;)

Just to clarify. Does this mean that there aren't any plans for clothes "dynamically" reacting to the players movement, the wind ect even after the new engine is fully in place?.

I thought this was something that -at least- all the greater titles would have with the new (current) generation technology. Am I wrong and this is something hard for developers to do, or is it just that the Enfusion engine wont hold that "standard" when 1.0 releases?

I'm just curious and would like an answer on this!

Have you any plans to add new civilian buildings, to keep the diversity and avoid the generic looking towns? you've added military, educational, government and industrial buildings, but what about civilian ones? I can't remember any, log cabin aside that is more like a restaurant/hotel than a civilian house

Edited by cuartas