Realtarquinn

Learning how to craft different things by reading books

Heard something about a possible crafting menu in Dayz in the future and I really hope I misunderstood this. Please don't do this! One of the best things in DayZ is the effort to make DayZ as realistic as possible.

So because it's difficult to find out by yourself what and how you can craft and what you need for it (except using the Inet for infos about it):

Everywhere you can find and read books (but who really ever read the whole storys ingame...) -> how about finding books where you can read some crafting instructions ?

• Like 3

Heard something about a possible crafting menu in Dayz in the future and I really hope I misunderstood this. Please don't do this! One of the best things in DayZ is the effort to make DayZ as realistic as possible.

So because it's difficult to find out by yourself what and how you can craft and what you need for it (except using the Inet for infos about it):

Everywhere you can find and read books (but who really ever read the whole storys ingame...) -> how about finding books where you can read some crafting instructions ?

I think this is a great idea!

Also, when I find a book in DayZ I do "read it" by listening to the free version of it on you youtube while I play the game.  Nerdy, but fun.  The last one I listened to was Frankenstein (which turned out way different then the movies portray it.)  I think Treasure Island is next on the list.

Edited by Louis French

The books are one of my favourite features of the game. Hopefully they start putting the full versions of non-copyrighted work in there but as for the OP, I think a few instructions here and there could be very helpful and I know a library would be one of the first places I would visit as soon as I had food and a weapon. 

I do think that's one of the ideas they have for 'down the road', I do think it's a good idea to have 'in game instructions' so long as it doens't turn into 'you need to read Book X to craft Item Y.  But there should be some 'skill' books for when soft skills are more promenent, and not a 'I've read the Cherno Medical Journal, now I can do brain transplants' more of the read the book and jump ahead 5 points.

I have 2 problems with this idea

1. If you NEED to read a book in order to craft something everytime you start a new game then no. After let's say fixing a car tie 50 times I know exactly what tools I need, what to do and how but I'm not able to do it because I need to search for a book that I need to pick up and click on it so it tells me "Ok NOW you can do it". That doesn't sound cool

2. If it's just crafting instructions that tell you how to do something but then once you memorize it then no one is really gonna waste time searching for books, everyone will just google it and get instructions in 5 seconds 

Edited by Sperglord
  • Like 1

Yeah I thought it would be more of a fun idea for giving basic instructions of things anyone can do anyway not as a "licence" to perform these things. No I think if you combine sticks, burlap sack and rope then you should always get a backpack regardless of whether you read about it or not. It would just be cool for some of the more obscure recipes that one would not normally google for... like a Stone Oven...

• Like 2

Hah! This is actually very interesting. . I like the idea of this! Perhaps even find notes that would point to where hidden caches are also.

• Like 1

I like the idea, but half the crafted things here could be figured out by a grade-school kid without a book.  so maybe books needed on the more complicated things only.

like... book needed for how to tan leather, but no book needed for how to sew leather into a bag shape.

Edited by Red_Ensign

Hah! This is actually very interesting. . I like the idea of this! Perhaps even find notes that would point to where hidden caches are also.

'it's by the tree'

• Like 1

'it's by the tree'

You know. . The one with the apples. Next to the house. 

This is the exact answer I wanted to post myself.

1. If you NEED to read a book in order to craft something everytime you start a new game then no. After let's say fixing a car tie 50 times I know exactly what tools I need, what to do and how but I'm not able to do it because I need to search for a book that I need to pick up and click on it so it tells me "Ok NOW you can do it". That doesn't sound cool

2. If it's just crafting instructions that tell you how to do something but then once you memorize it then no one is really gonna waste time searching for books, everyone will just google it and get instructions in 5 seconds 

Another thing is that as far as I know, there won't be any global crafting menu, like, you know, in other games. Where you just can browse all the recepies and see how much resources you need. For example Life is Feudal - you can set up a placeholder for a castle right from the start of the game with minimum skills, see what is required, but you need weeks and weeks of hard work in a team to build one.

DayZ, as stated in the concept by Dean Hall, will be more of a exploring craft. You will get a menu and see the reciepe only after you actually HAVE the resources in your inventory and can combine them. I believe new crafting menu will be just a revamp of the interface, not something like changing it to a full recipe menu.

The level of knowledge characters in this game have is ridiculous but I get what you are saying.

Perhaps they could implement a feature that lets characters save time via crafting handbooks. Like changing a tire takes 1 minute normally but with a handbook in their inventory it takes 15 seconds.

@Konfucious K  exactly, thats how I meant ....I didnt mean to replace all the story books...only a chance to find some special books with instructions how to craft some things

Nr.1 is exactly that what I wouldnt want in DayZ ...otherwise it would be like an MMORPG ^^

And yes, you are right with Nr.2 ....I also did this few times because I didnt know whats craftable in DayZ. But thats like in most of the games and it's your own desicion how to handle this. Especially when you are new to a game you maybe want to find/find out stuff by yourself without immediately getting all informations via google. And my suggestion would it make easier than simply combine items you found to figure out if they have a special function.

And why "wasting time to search for this books"? In DayZ you waste a lot of time searching for useful stuff....why not some instruction books too ^^

Maybe simply depends on your playstyle....

But, ok ....was only an idea to improve your knowledge of crafting ingame beside "learning by doing" or "trial and error".

@MOSkorpion  Right, thats true (maybe because they just read it in a book ...? ^^) ...but that could be the most difficult way in DayZ ^^ Ok, if the other survivors are nice they still could teach you this after they shot you down :-P

Edited by Realtarquinn

Soft skills will probably only ever affect quality of life things like animation speeds or efficiencies in consuming materials, but not things that may heavily impact pvp.

When it comes to crafting itself, it's a hard question to answer because in a way each recepie is unique, and can possibly utilize any number of item and animation combinations/proceures. The only value that a book is going to pose to a particular player is going to be to tell you what the materials and steps are for complicated and tedious crafting operations, should crafting go in such a direction. For instance:

Space Station 13 was quoted by dean hall as being a kind of inspiration for DayZ when it comes to how games are played. Dean desired to make DayZ immersive in the same way that SS13 is, which is instead that of having everything explained to you and your in game prowess be based upon a level or strength statistic like most games tend to, in game prowess should be based upon player skill and player knowledge. In Space Station 13, if you have a full set of tools (minus a few specialty tools) you can deconstruct a reinforced metal wall. The steps are to apply the tools to the wall in a particular order, which is "Wire cutters, Screw driver, Welder, Crowbar, Wrench, Welder, Crowbar, Screwdriver, Wire cutters, and finally wrench or crowbar, depending on whether you want to dismantle the wall girder or just unhook it from the floor". In order to escape a room you might be locked into, and not knowing how to deconstruct a reinforced wall, or even if that this is possible, requires player experience or patience enough to resort to a wiki or a howto video, or finding one of the many in-game guides, which simply tell you the procedures and give explanatory information. appropriate informational guide and booklets for DayZ might include:

Vehicle Mechanical Information/Guide

Aircraft Mechanical Information/Guide

Primitive Survival guide

Basic Medical Guide

Basic Construction Guide

Weapons Information Guide

Rangefinding/Sharpshooting Guide

Agricultural/Nutritional guide

Radio Communications Guide

Electricians Guide

ETC....

Finding these guides in game doesn't give you the instant ability to perform the operations they describe, they just give you information about them and explain the steps and what materials  you might require. Every booklet that could make it's way into the game could also be found on a DayZwiki, and that's fine, this is simply an organic way to put useful information into the game for individuals to stumble upon in an immeersive way. If you have already read a guide and know it all by heart, or you have no issue with reading wikipedia articles or watching howto videos, you can tear them up for kindling like any other book.

P.S, I like the idea of full non-copyrighted books being readable in game. I'm also in support of other things players can do in their downtime once they have a stockpile of food and a nest to relax in. Chess and Checkers, among other possible "minigames" would be great ways for sentries to pass the time, should large clan oriented base play emerge.

Edited by FlimFlamm

this has been suggested already by allot of people, even I touched the subject a long time back

still its a good idea and should be implented but only for difficult tasks

there should be a few exceptions, because those things are too common to be bound by books

- Car repair (although a book about reinforced armor for cars could exist, the basics should be accesible to every player)

- Campfire building (obvious reasons)

- Farming tomatos,potatoes, and melons (maybe for different type of fruits you need different type of books but you need atleast a basic farming skill)