SMoss

Status Report - 12 Nov 2015

@Hicks: Great SR this week!

I just can't wait to see an improvement in how night is rendered and eventually the end of the people-with-increased-in-game-or-nvidia-panel-gamma era!

Would you have any updates/info on this?

Thanks a lot!

Technical question, how can you prevent ppl from changing gamma and brightness in the driver? If it gives better spotting abilities, ppl will continue doing that. What about changing it on the monitor? I don't see how this will change. At that point we could also start about ppl having better monitors than others and seeing more. Not trying to troll here, but what to do? Don't know how a rendered night setting would look like that ppl would not try to change for better visibility.

Something like this? https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/3sz4ol/a_guy_i_had_to_put_down_had_these_unsettling/

That guy had the right idea. For the record, a camera is something that various members of the dev team have expressed interest in implementing ;)

they can add something like this                  http://embed.photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/productImages/polaroid-impossible-e89d.jpg

Edited by xBanderoo

I have heard Hicks talk about the amount of infected increasing, however, the last I heard was near 1500 infected on the map currently. Even if it were to double to 3000, I don't believe that to be enough to suffice. The mod's system was exploitable to locate players in towns before having to enter the town but the positive was that it felt as if 15,000 infected roamed the map because every town would spawn a number of infected per player in the area. My question is: "Has the development team considered a different system that would scale up the number of infected in a zone IF there are many players in that zone? For example lets say Cherno has 30 infected if there is no one nearby, but lets say, 10 players move into Cherno, the number of infected increases from 30 to 80 (basically +5 infected per player)

It would be more challenging - yeah. But I don´t like the Idea off a endless stream of zombies. You should make progress in clearing a zone and maybe with time more an more zombies would inhabit that zone. Ofcourse clearing a whole town would be damn hard because you need tons of amunition but it should not be impossible. This game should be also rewarding you if u put in serious effort and hard work. A endless spawn of zombies would break my motivation.

hey brian thanks again for the opportunity

a ) comparing to the firearms we've seen so far, the focus on makeshift weapons/tools is rather small at the moment it seems. how is this going to be later on? what is your vision and could you give a quick estimate which ratio you'd envision between firearms and makeshift weapons.

b ) any ideas for "unique" loot? if so, any chance these will be mostly regional-dependent? like...let's say...berezino cider in and around berezino only?

c ) anything planned for christmas besides reaching your obvious targets?

Cheers!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Questions I'm about to ask are about combat primarily, I'll try keep it clean so it's easy to answer.

1. This question is about automatic weapons and their difficulty to land shots while firing in an automatic state, I'll compare arma 3 to dayz as it is BI's flagship game. In arma 3 the difficulty to land shots while firing in a fully automatic state is far, far too easy, yet in dayz it does a much better job of replicating realistic amounts of shots landing on target due to the high recoil, however the big issue is the recoil tends to only have an upward pattern on a vertical line, easily exploitable with downward mouse movement to compensate the recoil. What I'm proposing you guys should consider, is equal attention to randomness on the horizontal spectrum per shot, obviously the recoil should be stronger vertically going upwards, but firearms also can recoil downward and side to side per shot fired, it's also affected by the control in which the shooter pulls down and tries to compensate for the recoil giving circular patterns while firing in an automatic state, not the patterns you currently see in dayz, so in short, are you guys happy with the current shooting mechanics in dayz? Or do you plan to make it more close to the real thing. And for the love of god, do not make it more simple. 

2. Will plate armor actually work? Currently the body armor in dayz does very little in the way of stopping rounds from making contact with flesh, instead they absorb laughable amounts of damage for a single round. Do you plan on making the body armor work correctly? 

3. Will the damage system be more, survival orientated and realistic, bullets to the limbs should never result in instantaneous death. However being shot in limbs should result in the possibility of infection, not being an instant cause of death but ultimately fatal if not treated. Or are you happy with the arcade system of being able to kill people by shooting them in limbs as if they are extensions of the central nervous system. I think you should lean away from the current arcade system and create hitboxes for the brain and spinal cord, when either are damaged instantaneous death should occur, where as bullets to the torso depending on where the round hit, should cause loss of consciousness and the cause of death being loss of blood, like in the real world. It would create far more interesting combat, it would be prolonged due to the bodies natural endurance of being damaged by non fatal wounds. And would create more interesting close quarter fights as you would have to aim for the persons head or torso to put them down, instead of shooting them into the legs and arms and being rewarded with a cheap kill. Just food for thought as I know you are as hardcore as anyone when it comes to things like this :)

4. Is there any plans to add back tracer rounds? What I find interesting, is the current way of loading ammunition would allow you to load, lets say 5 rounds of tracer ammunition, and the rest with standard ball ammo, so when you are wasting out of bullets the last few shots would be tracer rounds. 

5. Will bullets be capable of penetrating people? Currently they get stopped in the person and do not continue their flight path. This would be definitely interesting with question 4, seeing a tracer enter/exit and ricochet off the ground and fly into the air, "I've seen this before with arma 2 and it was quite the sight". Also it would allow bullets to pass through the arms and hands of a person being shot, to give an example of this in action, where a person is holding a firearm his/her arms are blocking a portion of that persons torso if he/she were to be shot, currently the bullet only damages that persons arm, where as it should damage the arm, exit and enter the persons torso doing further damage. 

6. Will arrows/bolts stick out of characters and be retrievable? Currently they only stick out of objects such as buildings, trees, and the ground. 

PS, I love you for mentioning your passion about first person view only servers, no homo <3

Edited by IrishSniper

GRASS! I have one question that concerns me, and an observation.

Will the new renderer at some point lift the limit that grass is currently displayed at (roughly 100meters) ? It would be great if we could either have grass displayed at all distances, or if that is technically impossible, remove the tall-grass completly. In the provided screenshots, grass seems to be yet untouched.

Also I noticed that when my character is prone in high grass and I look at her in 3rd person, i can see how her eyes are above the grassline and shouldnt obstruct the field of view. But when I switch back to 1st person, it feels like my eyes are placed somewhere in the chest and the tall grass is obstructing my FoV.

in context to Peters text about the awesome plans for the new UI...

Eugen said 3-4 month ago that the queue is coming with 0.58/0.59 ... whats the current status?

This was pushed out just a bit - still in progress, but some other tasks were bumped in priority. (Server perf, player position sync, etc)

Could the CLE's regional control be used to limit items to much smaller areas?

- For example, if a player decided to fix up a vehicle, then rather than hope for random loot drops, they'd be able to concentrate on scavenging an area within say 1km radius of whatever town they were in.

Hey Brian. I am asking for the biggest german Survival Community Survivethis. So I have some more questions.

1. Will there be any Base Building content before BETA Starts?

2. The first Trello information was about Procedural Color Changing with weapons and as a example we saw the AKS74u. Is this still in developement or did your team made a break at this coll stuff?

3. Long time ago you said, that there are coming more variants of Dynamic Event vehicles in. Also de V3S Cargo. Are these variations still planned?

4. Are more underground structures planned?

5. Can we expect more changes on the coast like small islands?

6. How is work going on with the NEW especially the Server browser. I have a lot of friends, that have loads of performance problems with it.

7. Can we expect more UI changes in the next 0.59 Experimental Updates?

8. The new renderer is already on experimental but there are only visuall changes with max graphics. Can we expect renderer and optimizations with 0.59 stable?

9. How is work ongoing with Vehicle dsyncs?

1) I certainly hope so - considering "Beta" for us is a move from 85% Feature work 15% bug fixing to the exact inverse.

2) Still on the to do list, be it lower at the moment.

3) I'd like to see us do more dynamic event types, perhaps in beta. As well, there are additional things we can do with this system that I'd like to talk about in the next Status Report.

4) We don't really have any underground structures, and I'm not sure thats something we have the bandwidth to look at before 1.0. That said - development continues on into the future.

5) Yes. ^_^

6) We're still pending on technology changes with the new UI - once that is resolved, the design team can start looking into preparing a new, proper server browser that meets our needs.

7) Potentially - it depends on how things look in QA

8) The new renderer is not currently in the consumer branch.

9) We have some changes we're looking to test out on experimental as soon as the build is ready.

• Like 2

G'day Brian hope your having a good one, figured I'd pitch in a question or two for the first time here.

1. Will modding have complete freedom with the game as it did (for the most part, obviously not 100%) with the DayZ Mod? (For example will mods such as overpoch and epoch be allowed to be created) or will you guys restrict modding to some degree?

2. Are you (YOU personally) worried that modding will lead the DayZ community away from what the mod was originally intended for, which was obviously to provide a true survival experience. To a more arcade-like version of the game as it did with DayZ Mod with mods such as overpoch, etc.

1) Modding didn't really have complete freedom with DayZ Mod - With Enforce script we're allowing much more low level access to the base game and engine. As far as curating the Steam Workshop, obviously we'll have to keep an eye out for anything sketchy - but past that I have no intent to do any more than that.

2) You can't worry about things like that. Trying to worry that people will do different things with the game than you want will only eat you up, and take you down the wrong path. Bohemia Interactive PC titles have for the most part been STRONGLY in favor of modding. We cannot under any circumstance go away from that. People will do what they want to do with the game, and if others enjoy that more - they do, and should have the choice to play that. Locking things down out of fear that a more casual DayZ experience will be enjoyed by more people will only ensure that another title with a more open mindset will come along.

• Like 4

Hello Brian and Team,

- Can we expect a more agile, fluid character movement and animations sequencing, with the new system? 

- As you have shown in the last SR, animations for injured states are already being worked on. How far are you guys going to go with them, can we expect animations for not only broken bones(arms, legs) but also for painful parts as well? For example, if you have a sprained ankle, your character will start limping randomly? 

- Status messages: They are really subtle compared to other games, but the immersion still suffers. Are there any plans for making specific animations and sounds to replace the status messages completely?

- I believe so, yes. We'll have to see how it feels once its has been merged in.

- We'd definitely like to look at this, but I'm wary of taking the simulation -too- far.

- In some areas - There are places where animation states can express this, and there is the new GUI that can also communicate this. Sounds - not so much. Accessibility my friend.

• Like 1

1) Modding didn't really have complete freedom with DayZ Mod - With Enforce script we're allowing much more low level access to the base game and engine. As far as curating the Steam Workshop, obviously we'll have to keep an eye out for anything sketchy - but past that I have no intent to do any more than that.

2) You can't worry about things like that. Trying to worry that people will do different things with the game than you want will only eat you up, and take you down the wrong path. Bohemia Interactive PC titles have for the most part been STRONGLY in favor of modding. We cannot under any circumstance go away from that. People will do what they want to do with the game, and if others enjoy that more - they do, and should have the choice to play that. Locking things down out of fear that a more casual DayZ experience will be enjoyed by more people will only ensure that another title with a more open mindset will come along.

Really love your answer and rightfully so. I have more questions regarding modding that I'd love to know.

1. Will the configuration syntax change from the current (the original) one?

2. Rvmats. Where are they headed?

3. animgraph and object mesh. Can we have more details about them?

Edit: How will the fbx work with lods? Will there be an additional program the model needs to pass through after being created in a 3D SW?

Edited by StanleyWasHappy

"6) We're still pending on technology changes with the new UI - once that is resolved, the design team can start looking into preparing a new, proper server browser that meets our needs."

Oh yes! Can't wait for some proper exclude filters and that kind of stuff. Server browser needs to be dam good in sandboxes so you can find easily what you want and not get cluttered by stuff that people play the most.

If you really like some of the mods that are bound to come out, would you consider integrating some of them into the 'vanilla' experience?

Dear Byron Hicks,

Could you please add wheelchairs to the game so you can aid your friends who have broken legs or wheel yourself around if you are lucky enough to get to one?

Sincerely,

Bororm

P.S. Any progress on allowing full chickens to be pulled from chicken coops?

Great status report again!

Will all old sqf scripts get ported to Enforce Script?

I don't like the "motion blur during running" look with the current post processing - Will the post processing be changed with the new renderer / get more granular options to disable the motion blue?

1) We'd definitely like to do this - I would love to kill all SQF, but realistically that probably won't happen. That said - the design team is currently rewriting -ALL- actions into Enforce Script.

2) Post processes will most definitely be altered within the new renderer.

Any chance for a thought or 2 on the questions below?

Is there a model for infected Rocket yet?

Can you confirm plans for the M-79 grenade launcher (takes same rounds as M4 launcher I believe)?

ETA on Molotov cocktails? (After renderer?)

Thoughts about the return of empty cans? (so many uses!)

What will our options be for cannabis consumption in the game? (papers, pipes, bongs, infused cooking oils/fats for edibles)

^^^Any chance to touch upon these Mister Hix?

1) Are you planing to add the fridges in many houses around the map?  

2) Do you know the final number of weapons for 1.0? 

3) You announced some weeks ago that we can configure the vehicles a little bit more individual (different color of hoods or doors), whats the current status? Something to expect for 0.59?

4) What do you think about cutting fences with the existing pliers?

1) Yessir.

2) I do - however we'd prefer to push them out as they are ready and leave the surprise for that.

3) Probably not 0.59, but not long after that.

4) I think its pretty sweet, but would be something for a mod, or post 1.0

1) Any plan to implement the real time dynamic events (heli / police cars / etc)  like a airdrop / chopper attack  from RUst ??

2) Any chance to give us (for all players in Latin America) an experimental server localized in Brazil ? (ping / lag are frustrating and we are lagging others players too due no option to play on better servers) 

3 How is the current status of desync on exp ? Any progress this week ?

Thanks

1) Not to that extent - no.

2) I believe we have an exp server located in Brasil or Argentina?

3) Internally it looks good but we need to see on exp.

hey biran,

how far are we in terms of "gun saturation"? as in, how many more guns do you think we can approximately expect?

I am hoping that maybe there will be couple more military assault / semi autos that we can look forward to.

if the answer is yes I will be happy.

Edited by jayfkay

It would be more challenging - yeah. But I don´t like the Idea off a endless stream of zombies. You should make progress in clearing a zone and maybe with time more an more zombies would inhabit that zone. Ofcourse clearing a whole town would be damn hard because you need tons of amunition but it should not be impossible. This game should be also rewarding you if u put in serious effort and hard work. A endless spawn of zombies would break my motivation.

I'd like to see them respawn but maybe with 10 minute timer after death OR they could only respawn when players are no longer in the area.

1) Will we have a trench coat in the future? - Really liking the drifter set in Fallout 4, has that apocalyptic feel. 

2) Have you beaten Fallout 4 yet?

3) Will the secret underground military base in cords 078.006 return?   http://dayzdb.com/map#7.078.007

4) Will we ever be able to power certain power plants on the map? - For example the small power plant North of Elektro city. 

5) Could we expect to see more heli crashes in the far northern part of the map, near Severograd and Novaya Petrovka?

6) Could we expect to see more options for players taking others hostage? - For example - If I can get a player to hold his hands up, can I get the option to take the gun off his shoulder / pack while pointing the gun at him. Atm, we need to make them hold their hands and then let them drop their hands in order for them to be able to drop weapons & gear... Not the best method, since it's really easy to switch to your gun and counter attack at that stage.

Edited by Sobieski12

Hi Mr Hicks,

Looks like i am coming after the war :)

But i ve some questions about animals and wildlife in general :

1) I ve read in SR that the animals will have lifecycle. Do you mean child then adult ? that would be amazing.

2) Will it be possible to farm or tame animals ? Like taming a wild horse in order to mount him. i know the point of Dayz is to stay far from such mini-games. 

but this could be a part of ssoft skills system.

3) Animals companions still planed ?

and finally... Will more unique structures (like the prison) planned in the future or past 1.0 or are you done with the map actually? i ve already imagined a nuclear site. i ve seen artwork of the silo zone irradiated. it's matching my wish... but i would love to see one civilian structure of this scale. May i dare ? an international airport in Cherno ?

I'm wary of taking the simulation -too- far.

Wondering if you have played fallout 4 and how casual the gameplay has been washed down.  Its a beautiful game, but I had to jump back into dayZ for a moment to feel free from abstract game concepts.  As much as I love fo4, it feels like a huge step back in the survival genre compared to New Vegas or DayZ.

On the note of Fo4.  Will dayZ ever see a scrapping system?

IE:  Crowbar to scrap wooden fences, or cutting torch to cut metal, etc.

Questions, if any devs pop in ;)

Will the new damage system allow better performing armour (combat helmet, plate carrier right now don't offer much protection) or are they working as intended?

What is the plan for items stored in packs when slots of the pack become unavailable due to damage?

Can we please see a video of the new rain and fog in action?

Hey Brian! Just giving this one a bump as I asked it before you showed up for the Q&A - cheers in advance!