SMoss

Status Report - 12 Nov 2015

in context to Peters text about the awesome plans for the new UI...

Eugen said 3-4 month ago that the queue is coming with 0.58/0.59 ... whats the current status?

Hey Brian. I am asking for the biggest german Survival Community Survivethis. So I have some more questions.

1. Will there be any Base Building content before BETA Starts?

2. The first Trello information was about Procedural Color Changing with weapons and as a example we saw the AKS74u. Is this still in developement or did your team made a break at this coll stuff?

3. Long time ago you said, that there are coming more variants of Dynamic Event vehicles in. Also de V3S Cargo. Are these variations still planned?

4. Are more underground structures planned?

5. Can we expect more changes on the coast like small islands?

6. How is work going on with the NEW especially the Server browser. I have a lot of friends, that have loads of performance problems with it.

7. Can we expect more UI changes in the next 0.59 Experimental Updates?

8. The new renderer is already on experimental but there are only visuall changes with max graphics. Can we expect renderer and optimizations with 0.59 stable?

9. How is work ongoing with Vehicle dsyncs?

• Like 1

G'day Brian hope your having a good one, figured I'd pitch in a question or two for the first time here.

1. Will modding have complete freedom with the game as it did (for the most part, obviously not 100%) with the DayZ Mod? (For example will mods such as overpoch and epoch be allowed to be created) or will you guys restrict modding to some degree?

2. Are you (YOU personally) worried that modding will lead the DayZ community away from what the mod was originally intended for, which was obviously to provide a true survival experience. To a more arcade-like version of the game as it did with DayZ Mod with mods such as overpoch, etc.

• Like 1

Hello Brian and Team,

- Can we expect a more agile, fluid character movement and animations sequencing, with the new system? 

- As you have shown in the last SR, animations for injured states are already being worked on. How far are you guys going to go with them, can we expect animations for not only broken bones(arms, legs) but also for painful parts as well? For example, if you have a sprained ankle, your character will start limping randomly? 

- Status messages: They are really subtle compared to other games, but the immersion still suffers. Are there any plans for making specific animations and sounds to replace the status messages completely?

Great status report again!

Will all old sqf scripts get ported to Enforce Script?

I don't like the "motion blur during running" look with the current post processing - Will the post processing be changed with the new renderer / get more granular options to disable the motion blue?

1) Are you planing to add the fridges in many houses around the map?  

2) Do you know the final number of weapons for 1.0? 

3) You announced some weeks ago that we can configure the vehicles a little bit more individual (different color of hoods or doors), whats the current status? Something to expect for 0.59?

4) What do you think about cutting fences with the existing pliers?

• Like 1

1) Any plan to implement the real time dynamic events (heli / police cars / etc)  like a airdrop / chopper attack  from RUst ??

2) Any chance to give us (for all players in Latin America) an experimental server localized in Brazil ? (ping / lag are frustrating and we are lagging others players too due no option to play on better servers) 

3 How is the current status of desync on exp ? Any progress this week ?

Thanks

• Like 2

Thanks for another Q&A

Q. Will we see an upgrade to the VOIP quality in-game in the near future?

Q. Will anymore diseases be added in the near future? If so any hints? :-)

Q. Are hostile animals within Chernarus still a planned feature?

• Like 1

Nice news Hicks :)

At the last Q/A you said:

1) Infected Damage values is something that will be tweaked off an on throughout development. Of course, a proper balancing pass will most certainly be done prior to leaving Early Access. 2) Well, at a certain point the reality that this is a video game has to come into play. You rarely will have a crowd of angry screaming players chasing after you - but ideally you would with infected. They need to be -somewhat- manageable. That said, see the above answer. 3) On what scale? o_O I have been very clear about this - and I'm not a huge fan of repeating myself on it, but for the sake of clarity: It does not matter how amazing or complex your Artifical Intelligence is. It will -NEVER- be as dangerous or unpredictable as being at the mercy of another -HUMAN-.

1) Which level of threat will represent the zombies into 1.0 on a scale of 1 to 10? (1 without any difficulty and 10 extremely dangerous, without comparing with players).

Humans remain biggest threat (because they're unpredictable,...), I'm totally agree with that. But i would like to be kill by infected sometimes.

If I run in a street, I want die. If I fight against 4 infected with an axe, I want die. If I shoot without suppressor in a town, I want die. We don't want to be invincible with an ak. We want to crawl or make alliances to take the control of a city. We want to be scared by infected.

Moreover zombies very dangerous/powerful mean more stress, more cooperation between players, more bandit's strategies...

What do you think? (2)

3) Doors will be break down by zombies?

Are any of the EXP server's setup in the same or similar way that private servers are setup on stable? I know in the past there have been loot issues that were specific to private servers only, so it seems like it would be valuable to test both versions if we're not already. 

Been playing the crap out of 0.59 experiential and loving every minute of it. I decided to try out the new UI in hopes of a performance boost, which it did. However it can be difficult to play without functional status indicators. Are there plans to implement functional status indicators to the new UI soon, or are they planned for once the new renderer hits/once the new GUI rolls out? (By the way those screenshots looks sexy as hell)

Edited by darthbrick9000

1. Can we expect multi-layer clothing system: e.g. Jacket above hoodie and hoodie above t-shirt or boots above socks maybe. And if answer is positive, could it be possible to combine differ clothing for getting complex functionality. For example: if you first put on some warm clothing like hoodie you can dress above draincoat for purposes to stay dry and warm even when cold and rainy.

2. Have you ever think about implementing something like was hermit tent in walking dead season 2 in terms of dynamic events like helicrash. So it can be spawned randomly at woodland among chernarus and have some common loot table. Maybe tourist equipment, simple guns and ammo, canned food e.t.c.

3. Any plans for porting server side to Linux?

4. What is your favourite bourbon?

Edited by combinator

besides cannibalism, will  more be added like being able to wear a players face after skinning it off or making items from their skin?

Edited by Dillinger86
  • Like 1

I have heard talk about the amount of infected increasing, however, the last I heard was near 1500 infected on the map currently. Even if it were to double to 3000, I don't believe that to be enough to suffice. The mod's system was exploitable to locate players in towns before having to enter the town but the positive was that it felt as if 15,000 infected roamed the map because every town would spawn a number of infected per player in the area.

My question is: "Has the development team considered a different system that would scale up the number of infected in a zone IF there are many players in that zone?

For example lets say Cherno has 50 infected if there is no one nearby, but lets say, 10 players move into Cherno, the number of infected increases from 50 to 100 (basically +5 infected per player)

Edited by PwnDailY
  • Like 1

I love the idea of dynamic events that are implemented in many Arma mods. Do you think we could eventually have some like radio events (e.g. chopper crashes, military vehicle crashes, zombie hordes, etc.)? Meaning events that are transmitted via Radio and if you have a Map they are automatically marked or something.

For Mr. Hicks:

1) I've been wondering lately if the "feel" of aiming, moving, and firing weapons in DayZ will change drastically as a result of incoming changes like the animation system and player controller. In my mind, there is something very unique about the way it feels to engage in combat in DayZ, even when compared to Arma 3 (the only other BI game I have played) which seems identically functional on the surface, but does not "feel" the same. I apologize for how vague this may come across, but I'm working from a standpoint of limited information. The best way I could explain it is to say that DayZ's player movements are very fluid and feel organic to how a human would move (some symptoms of Alpha notwithstanding). Are efforts being made to preserve the current design or will these new systems make the game respond to player movement and aiming inputs more like Arma 3 or something else entirely?

2) Recently at PAX Australia, you gave an example of how you guys may be distributing infected AI in a new way. In that example, you described having 700 infected on the server and redistributing them within 3 distinct bubbles wherein players are actually located. This sounds great, but it also marks a bit of a reversal from the way that infected numbers are theoretically projected in the past. Am I reading too much into a hastily thrown together example or has it become apparent that 2000 infected active on the server is not going to be possible? Functionally, I recognize that, for the most part, the new way of distributing them has the potential to take a small number of infected and make them feel like a much larger amount so perhaps the point is moot, but I'm still curious.

3) Experimental 0.59 clearly has some rendering changes going on under the hood. Trees especially seem to be affected and are not changing to the higher res models the same way they used to. I really think I notice that the old UI looks a bit crisper and my character model looks cleaner and less aliased than it did in 0.58. However, the in-game environment looks more aliased than ever. I noticed that almost immediately due to the fact that I always run 8x MSAA to get rid of 90% of the shimmering that appears when moving. Care to share what's going on? 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

3) Experimental 0.59 clearly has some rendering changes going on under the hood. Trees especially seem to be affected and are not changing to the higher res models the same way they used to. I really think I notice that the old UI looks a bit crisper and my character model looks cleaner and less aliased than it did in 0.58. However, the in-game environment looks more aliased than ever. I noticed that almost immediately due to the fact that I always run 8x MSAA to get rid of 90% of the shimmering that appears when moving. Care to share what's going on? 

I've been curious about this since the second build went out. There's definitely been some changes.

• Like 1

@Hicks - You mentioned using True Sky (I assume you mean http://simul.co/truesky/ ) ? I see BI games listed as 'Customers'...since you are using a 3rd Party in your game, would/could this also mean you will be using SpeedTree in the future and replacing the hand placed legacy trees in game now?

• Like 1

@Hicks - You mentioned using True Sky (I assume you mean http://simul.co/truesky/ ) ? I see BI games listed as 'Customers'...since you are using a 3rd Party in your game, would/could this also mean you will be using SpeedTree in the future and replacing the hand placed legacy trees in game now?

I hadn't even noticed that before. Another of my favorite recent games is already using it (ARK), so if the sky will be anything like that I'm pretty excited.

@Hicks: Great SR this week!

I just can't wait to see an improvement in how night is rendered and eventually the end of the people-with-increased-in-game-or-nvidia-panel-gamma era!

Would you have any updates/info on this?

Thanks a lot!

Have you guys ever considered adding a polaroid camera into the game? I think it would be awesome being able to take pictures in game and carry them around. It could really add to the rp community.

• Like 1

Hello sir,

with the upcoming advanced lightning effects, coming with the new renderer, would it be possible to spot torches or campfires from a bigger distance?

Because of the new bow model. Will there be improvements of the current bow system?

With the upcoming new player controller are any new playerinteractions planned? Maybe to carry a tied up player or kick him gently to prown stance.

Thank you for takin time to Q&A sir.

Have you guys ever considered adding a polaroid camera into the game? I think it would be awesome being able to take pictures in game and carry them around. It could really add to the rp community.

Something like this? https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/3sz4ol/a_guy_i_had_to_put_down_had_these_unsettling/

That guy had the right idea. For the record, a camera is something that various members of the dev team have expressed interest in implementing ;)