SMoss

Status Report - 12 Nov 2015

That helicopter has no doors. That means you can kill pilot with Deringer and couse heli to crash.

• Like 2

That helicopter has no doors. That means you can kill pilot with Deringer and couse heli to crash.

Not to mention a 22 can pierce the 3/16" perspex windscreen while maintaining lethal velocity. 

M240s and grenade launchers arent meant to shoot down helicopters , that's just Hollywood fantasy . Do you know how fast helicopters fly ? And how heavily armored their vital parts are ? Maybe at very close range with a lot of ammo an m240 could bust up pieces of a chopper but you're never going to be able to aim into tbe sky and shoot it down like a bird XD! The way helis will be destroyed is waiting for its owners to land it and then placing c4 on it or throw grenades into it , or shoot it while its sitting in place with an RPG (again , RPGS are NOT meant to hit aerial vehicles , that's call of duty nonsense right there).

Helicopters will be harder to shoot down then you are assuming.

Not if they're anything like the mod, which is almost a guarantee that they will be.

Helicopters were always easy to take down, especially with a machine gun.  It was always especially easy to shoot out the pilot, but it was 2, 7.62 rounds, to a rotor to take them down.  With drum mags and 60 round mags, the current assault rifles are essentially LMGs and they are still going to add actual LMGs.  I don't see little birds lasting very long at all.

• Like 1

Who care were "realism" lies. Taking down a helo will be one of the best feelings in the game. Never actually have done it in DayZ, but many times in ArmA, and everytime it creates sometihng unique. This has to be part of the emergent focus of the game.

That being said, I hope it gets balanced right, might take some testing. :thumbsup:

I actually like cumlitive total damage better for this situation. It's not realistic but will feel more fair than damage to specific parts with specifc calibers.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Who care were "realism" lies.

*snip*

I do :(

There's something really satisfying for a flight sim enthusiast fighting to get a malfunctioning aircraft back on the ground without loss of life.

Never played DayZ mod but I almost never bail in Arma with hopes of salvaging my bird, the rarity they're going to have in SA is going to make me really care about them like they were real and very rewarding personally to hold on to one.

• Like 2

M240s and grenade launchers arent meant to shoot down helicopters , that's just Hollywood fantasy . Do you know how fast helicopters fly ? And how heavily armored their vital parts are ? Maybe at very close range with a lot of ammo an m240 could bust up pieces of a chopper but you're never going to be able to aim into tbe sky and shoot it down like a bird XD! The way helis will be destroyed is waiting for its owners to land it and then placing c4 on it or throw grenades into it , or shoot it while its sitting in place with an RPG (again , RPGS are NOT meant to hit aerial vehicles , that's call of duty nonsense right there).

It is strange to see such a strident stated position that is the absolute opposite of the truth. The only defence the mini bird has against an m240 is not being hit.  That is a big defence in the real world but no so much of a defence in a world 20km across with everyone armed. The mini bird will be very very vulnerable to to the weapons already in the game, much less a squad automatic weapon with a 200 round box.

I hate the new quickslots feature. Quickslots are about key binding and quick access to items. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a limitation on quickslots. You shouldn't be able to put anything in a quickslot that you couldn't get to quickly (i.e - something in your backpack, ammo box, protector case, etc...) - that's common sense. Have a pistol in a chest holster? Quickslot. Have a pistol in a backpack? Can't go in a quickslot. Quickslots shouldn't be used as an incentive to gain "higher tier gear." Not everyone is interested in higher tier gear and would be fine with jeans and a jacket... including what you may have slung on your back, that's a max of 10 small, easily accessible items that could go in your quickslots. Having a backpack, cases, etc... should provide a storage benefit at the expense of easy accessibility via quickslots. But, if I, the user, have just started on the coast and want to put a water bottle on the '0' key, I should be able to do that even if it is the only thing in my inventory. This new setup gives an advantage to those seeking higher end gear, it hurts RP, it arbitrarily and unnecessarily inconveniences the player in terms of organizing their keyboard. It is a horrible idea. Please, do something different.

Incentivizing key binding is not good gameplay, it is bad UI functionality.

Edited by entspeak

I hate the new quickslots feature. Quickslots are about organizing your keyboard, not your inventory. There definitely should be a limitation on quickslots. You shouldn't be able to put anything in a quickslot that you couldn't get to quickly (i.e - something in your backpack, ammo box, protector case, etc...) - that's common sense. Have a pistol in a chest holster? Quickslot. Have a pistol in a backpack? Can't go in a quickslot. Quickslots shouldn't be used as an incentive to gain "higher tier gear." Not everyone is interested in higher tier gear and would be fine with jeans and a jacket... including what you may have slung on your back, that's at least 10 small, easily accessible items that could go in your quickslots. Having a backpack, cases, etc... should provide a storage benefit at the expense of easy accessibility via quickslots. This new setup gives an advantage to those seeking military gear, it hurts RP, it arbitrarily and unnecessarily inconveniences the player in terms of organizing their keyboard. It is a horrible idea. Please, do something different.

My initial reaction is sorta the same.  I don't think there needs to be any more incentive for "higher tier" loot.  90%+ of players already gravitate towards most slots/best camo/best weather gear, which surprise surprise is mil gear.  Meanwhile, regular clothing "suffers" to an extent, with some items being nearly outright useless.  I avoid camo/mil gear like the plague because I think it's incredibly dull to join those masses and I already take penalties for it.

I'll have to wait and see how much of an issue it actually is before making a judgement, but if some how I get "nerfed" further for wearing a check shirt or whatever, that is going to be a rather big and ridiculous issue imo.

I get the realism aspect of military gear being better, but it doesn't mean everything else should become useless in comparison.  Something that is already nearly the case.

Edited by Bororm

"True Sky rendering"

Nice. I wasn't even sure is it coming in DayZ.

Btw is purple/violet fog usual color in sunset/rise in Czech? Just wondering if you're going to keep that color in Chernarus. It doesn't look natural to me but I don't know how things look more south. When you take out blue from the fog (in day or rise/set) it will look dam fantastic! How the fog works is freaking cool.

The inventory sounds nice. Can't wait. Though I have to say a thing about the grenade. The countdown doesn't start when you take the pin off, you need to release the handle which is possible when you take the pin off but you can still keep the handle in place when holding the grenade. Stick grenade is another story though :P

I get the realism aspect of military gear being better, but it doesn't mean everything else should become useless in comparison. Something that is already nearly the case.

There should always be a price. More storage should mean some of it won't be easily accessible.

I like the concept of having the hotbar (quickslots) mean something in game, but if you're going to do that, the clue to how to do it is in the name: quickslots... things you can reach quickly. A heavily geared guy may be able to carry more guns and ammo, but a less geared guy will always be able to pull a pistol out of his jeans faster than the guy who has it in his backpack. That is the appropriate in-game metaphor for the quickslots - they represent what you can pull out quickly. If you want to go further, they could even make it so you can't reload mags with the R button if the mag is in a backpack, case or box. The current setup is arcade-like and gamey - "Find higher tier gear to open up your quickslots!" - it's a level-up and that isn't what DayZ is about.

And, I shouldn't have to play a particular way in order to organize my keyboard the way I like. If I want my water on 0, I shouldn't have to go out and find cargo pants and a backpack in order to do so.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

And, I shouldn't have to play a particular way in order to organize my keyboard the way I like. If I want my water on 0, I shouldn't have to go out and find cargo pants and a backpack in order to do so.

That's a very good point.

• Multiple Cascade Shadow Maps - what is this about?

Two differently directed flashlights giving two shadows? Light that doesn't come through walls? Or it is has nothing to do with it?

I do :(

There's something really satisfying for a flight sim enthusiast fighting to get a malfunctioning aircraft back on the ground without loss of life.

Never played DayZ mod but I almost never bail in Arma with hopes of salvaging my bird, the rarity they're going to have in SA is going to make me really care about them like they were real and very rewarding personally to hold on to one.

I'm painting with my own custom realism brush. :P Everyone here likes "realism", maybe I said it wrong.

A more realistic flight model over Arma is what I want too, but trying to simulate realistic damage model to the helo, IMO, its problematic. When this is done, there's usually some loop hole that allows too much power to one player versus a helo.

The flipside is a damage model where a pistol could take down a helo with enough time and ammo, lame also, but this one is more fair to the pilot, and makes for more fair gameplay.  This puts the onus on the pilot to manage the risk, if he has a damaged helo he cant hang around. I would rather have this than realism and over powering one guy with ability to take down a helo with one shot.

Both types of damage models I've seen have some disadvantages, and usually don't have to do with realism.

Here's a thought, how about different Control Unit's, that when installed have different flight models. The TOH flight model control unit and something a armaish control unit. Star Citizen is doing modular IFCS (internal flight control systems) depending on what you buy and install into ships, very cool.

I'm painting with my own custom realism brush. :P Everyone here likes "realism", maybe I said it wrong.

A more realistic flight model over Arma is what I want too, but trying to simulate realistic damage model to the helo, IMO, its problematic. When this is done, there's usually some loop hole that allows too much power to one player versus a helo.

The flipside is a damage model where a pistol could take down a helo with enough time and ammo, lame also, but this one is more fair to the pilot, and makes for more fair gameplay.  This puts the onus on the pilot to manage the risk, if he has a damaged helo he cant hang around. I would rather have this than realism and over powering one guy with ability to take down a helo with one shot.

Both types of damage models I've seen have some disadvantages, and usually don't have to do with realism.

Here's a thought, how about different Control Unit's, that when installed have different flight models. The TOH flight model control unit and something a armaish control unit. Star Citizen is doing modular IFCS (internal flight control systems) depending on what you buy and install into ships, very cool.

Player skill should be rewarded, on both sides,  it doesn't feel good to aim for a rotor or gas tank or whatever but have it be meaningless.  It was already such that there's different types of damage, you could lose the tail rotor and still manage to salvage the aircraft.  Or get hit in the fuel and have it deplete rapidly knowing you have to get it down quick.  A general soak damage is pretty dull.

It doesn't mean a rotor has to be destroyed in 1-2 hits, they could increase that slightly if it's called for.

I'm sorry dude, but this is flat out wrong. You can watch Youtube videos right now from the last few years of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and actually see dudes with AKs cause helicopters crashes. I watched one where a NATO chopper was shot down by small arms fire last year some time I believe. Also, helis getting shot down by RPGs has happened SO many times. I can't even count the number of times I heard about it happening in the news or directly from people I met while in the US Army. Grenade launchers may not have been designed to do it, but they sure as hell can get it done. Armored helis? Do you know how fragile helicopters are? A tiny nick in one rotor can ground a bird indefinitely. They are precision tuned machines. A goose hitting the windshield can take down a helicopter. Why wouldn't bullets or grenades? Lastly, helis do go fast but they aren't jets. They are spectacularly vulnerable during lift off or landing for obvious reasons as well.

I hope I didn't come off as too rude. I've had a 12 hour shift today and I'm really tired. I just wanted to set the record straight. not insult you. If I did, I apologize in advance. My brain is mush atm.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

a HUGE Thank you to the devs! the stated ideas/features are almost a hundred percent ideas coming from the userbase embraced and incorporated by BI. thanks!

Peruse this list and see how many helicopters were confirmed to be shot down by insurgents pulling cawadooty nonsense in Afghanistan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviation_accidents_and_incidents_in_the_war_in_Afghanistan

I used to work on equipment for and occasionally around helicopters and they're quite sensitive when it comes to foreign objects contacting the rotors and external sensors. Sure there's lots of places a bullet can pass right through the hull without doing anything but if you land a shot on critical areas it's going down. I've even heard of records of one crashing on their first flight after a paintjob because someone forgot to remove a piece masking tape from an external pressure sensor, what do you think a bullet would do to that sensor?

Now that's real life but it'll all depend on how they handle the hit boxes in game, is it going to be one big lump with a ton of hit points or many boxes that affect systems and modules like the MS combat flight sim games.

As far as an RPG specifically I don't think you shoot at it while it's in fast forward flight, you wait until it's either transitioning to/in hover, or just splash it while on or near the ground.

That list is actually 80% operator error , and just simply stating those crashes for fact (as you can see in the descriptions ). I'm not gonna say every helicopter will come out fine after being shot at , but I just want everyone to realize 9/10 times you will not be accurate enough to shoot a moving helicopters sensitive parts with an m240 , considering spread , how far away helicopters fly from the ground on average , and I'm sure aiming an m240 into the sky causes some serious recoil .

All in all I think they are going to be seriously different from dayz mod helicopters , I mean why would they replicate that cheap feeling again of shooting down a freaking attack helicopter with a machine gun / sniper rifle ? sure you could shoot the driver but were talking about helicopter body hits destroying it, unless hovering you're going to have a very hard time .. but hey real is real so im not going to deny a bullet can't hurt a rotor , but we have to realize this shouldn't be happening all the time or be easy for that matter .

I hated the dynamics of shooting down helicopters in the mod , I've taken down helicopters in the dayz mod with simple assault rifles , DMR sniper, grasshopper grenade launcher, and even shooting a guy through attack chopper windshield with a magnum XD .. It was silly to say the least . I want a more realistic experience for this game .

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I quite like the concept that damaged clothing will reduce the number of available storage slots and qucik bar slots. It provides motivation to keep one's gear maintained. Also, having items such as pens take up less than a full slot, is also a great development.

It's also presumably going to mean that no longer will every item you have in your clothes/pack be damaged or ruined when you get shot there - rather, the items in the affected slots will take damage, in addition to the container as a whole. I think it's quite a welcome change even beyond how realistic it is.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

That list is actually 80% operator error , and just simply stating those crashes for fact (as you can see in the descriptions ). I'm not gonna say every helicopter will come out fine after being shot at , but I just want everyone to realize 9/10 times you will not be accurate enough to shoot a moving helicopters sensitive parts with an m240 , considering spread , how far away helicopters fly from the ground on average , and I'm sure aiming an m240 into the sky causes some serious recoil .

All in all I think they are going to be seriously different from dayz mod helicopters , I mean why would they replicate that cheap feeling again of shooting down a freaking attack helicopter with a machine gun / sniper rifle ? sure you could shoot the driver but were talking about helicopter body hits destroying it, unless hovering you're going to have a very hard time .. but hey real is real so im not going to deny a bullet can't hurt a rotor , but we have to realize this shouldn't be happening all the time or be easy for that matter .

I hated the dynamics of shooting down helicopters in the mod , I've taken down helicopters in the dayz mod with simple assault rifles , DMR sniper, grasshopper grenade launcher, and even shooting a guy through attack chopper windshield with a magnum XD .. It was silly to say the least . I want a more realistic experience for this game .

There was at least 5 or 6 confirmed attributed to an RPG, only reason I linked it. In all likely hood those were in hover or transitioning to hover. They weren't specific about the projectile ant they haven't told what ones were going to have available but an RPG7 frag rocket has an up to 130m kill radius on unarmoured target and would fuck up rotor blades within up to that just by hitting something solid around the bird.

I'm looking forward to flying but I want it to give me the edge of my seat DayZ feeling knowing one luck shot or mistake on my part can erase all my hard work getting one, that's something Arma or MS FS cant do.

and it crashes shortly after take off because due to piloting error.

... or game/internet crash @ pilot

PLEASE --> Co-Pilot function like in Arma 3 PLEASE PLEASE

piloti.jpg

Edited by t-s
  • Like 1

I've never really seen eye to eye with Bororm before, but I entirely agree with what he and Entspeak have to say when it comes to gearing up.

There's already plenty of incentive to collect high capacity gear as it is. Adding further incentives for this gear (unlocking quickslots), will only serve to make gearing up seem even more linear.

Gearing up is a great motivator/incentive in DayZ, but if gear only has a few different desirable attributes, then the majority of players will be following the same narrow pattern of progression. The consequence of this is that it will almost always be a catalyst for aggressive player interactions.

that SR is pure gold, i love the direction this game is taking !

helicopters parts could be looted on helicopter crashes (would act as a world container with 1,2,3 or more parts on it)

that SR is pure gold, i love the direction this game is taking !

helicopters parts could be looted on helicopter crashes (would act as a world container with 1,2,3 or more parts on it)

That is actually a pretty awesome idea.  Maybe not for all the parts but it would be really cool and make sense that you could find them on crashes.

@Hicks-206:  "differing light levels between interiors and exteriors" ?  Is this working? If yes, can you give us sneak/peak at that? Players hiding in buildings will have advantage.

Ask away, folks :)

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1