Red_Ensign

music and character narrative

this is mostly gonna be of interest to the roleplayers.

when I play the game I like to listen to specific music to add to the atmosphere.  I'm sure lots of people do, but the music I choose are songs of the road and loneliness and longing to get back to familty or home, etc.  I find it really adds to the feel of the game.  it's a world where everything's gone, after all.

thoughts?

• Like 1

I find that music breaks the atmosphere. I prefer to play with just game sound. :)

I find that music breaks the atmosphere. I prefer to play with just game sound. :)

I don't agree with that. Music or ambient sounds/music can make the atmosphere or it can break the atmosphere.

When adding music you need to pick the right kind of music, the good volume and the right setting for it.

If the conditions are met then your music will make the atmosphere.

Edited by IMT

I don't agree with that. Music or ambient sounds/music can make the atmosphere or it can break the atmosphere.

When adding music you need to pick the right kind of music, the good volume and the right setting for it.

If the conditions are met then your music will make the atmosphere.

I think it's very personal. For me the sound of the ambient sounds are much more immersive than any music.

• Like 1

I wouldn't suggest music, i'm in league with mos1ey.  I'd find certain ambient sounds preferable but not really acceptable.  I think the desolation is only compounded by the lack of music / ambient sounds other than natural.  Occasional zones with radios on or something wouldn't be bad though, but for the most part i'm against.

Ensign just curious, can you PM me a list of songs you like to listen to while playing?

I've been looking for some more. Thanks

I think it's very personal. For me the sound of the ambient sounds are much more immersive than any music.

I wouldn't suggest music, i'm in league with mos1ey.  I'd find certain ambient sounds preferable but not really acceptable.  I think the desolation is only compounded by the lack of music / ambient sounds other than natural.  Occasional zones with radios on or something wouldn't be bad though, but for the most part i'm against.

So please tell me if this scene would've been as epic without the music (from 20 minutes and 45 seconds):

Edited by IMT

So please tell me if this scene would've been as epic without the music (from 20 minutes and 45 seconds):

Video for entertainment =/= gameplay for immersion

Video for entertainment =/= gameplay for immersion

It's an example, it shows how much music can help a scene. And I'm not talking about a movie scene, it could be any scene.

It's an example, it shows how much music can help a scene. And I'm not talking about a movie scene, it could be any scene.

Sure, when carefully chosen to mirror what's happening on screen. It takes all of two seconds for a walk through the forest to turn into a gunfight in DayZ and then suddenly the atmosphere is completely wrong.

If you like to listen to music while you play then that's fine, but like I said - I prefer game sound and that's what I'll be sticking with.

• Like 1

Again i'm with mos1ey.  It is personal preference and i'm not saying you're 'wrong' just that I don't agree.  We may have different tastes or want different experiences.  But i am still leaning to the thought that a constructed entertainment experience may not be the best representation of an extended playlist being paired with the game.

To that end, I could find horror videos that use music/ambience to build tension and others that use absolute silence to build tension.  These are constructed scenes and if executed well, either camp can produce an effective and impacting experience.

It's just not the one i see myself enjoying.  Again, limited and subtle ambiance outside of natural sounds already available (ala stalker moans groans or industrial grinding etc) wouldn't go astray in certain areas, or localised radios that you can interact with / walky talky streams or something, but for the most part i'd see it as detracting from the experience that i enjoy and want. But then i'm quite resistant to change generally.

• Like 1

Sure, when carefully chosen to mirror what's happening on screen. It takes all of two seconds for a walk through the forest to turn into a gunfight in DayZ and then suddenly the atmosphere is completely wrong.

If you like to listen to music while you play then that's fine, but like I said - I prefer game sound and that's what I'll be sticking with.

Again i'm with mos1ey.  It is personal preference and i'm not saying you're 'wrong' just that I don't agree.  We may have different tastes or want different experiences.  But i am still leaning to the thought that a constructed entertainment experience may not be the best representation of an extended playlist being paired with the game.

To that end, I could find horror videos that use music/ambience to build tension and others that use absolute silence to build tension.  These are constructed scenes and if executed well, either camp can produce an effective and impacting experience.

It's just not the one i see myself enjoying.  Again, limited and subtle ambiance outside of natural sounds already available (ala stalker moans groans or industrial grinding etc) wouldn't go astray in certain areas, or localised radios that you can interact with / walky talky streams or something, but for the most part i'd see it as detracting from the experience that i enjoy and want. But then i'm quite resistant to change generally.

I never stated that DayZ needs music. We were talking about "the atmosphere", which means any atmosphere for me.

In my opinion DayZ doesn't need music because it breaks that special immersion that no other game has.

By the way no sound can also bring atmosphere. I remember in 0.55 that I didn't go to the Pavlovo or Kamensk military base because there we silent military zombies in a dark and grey area.

• Like 1

I never stated that DayZ needs music. We were talking about "the atmosphere", which means any atmosphere for me.

In my opinion DayZ doesn't need music because it breaks that special immersion that no other game has.

By the way no sound can also bring atmosphere. I remember in 0.55 that I didn't go to the Pavlovo or Kamensk military base because there we silent military zombies in a dark and grey area.

Definitely, no sound can.  And i also feel some ambiance can lead to more atmosphere.  I'll definitely concede that SA is quite barren in the audio department for most of the map, but i kinda like it.

The effect of my cold bubble being interrupted definitely drives my survival instincts / bloodlust, and I'd see the more FPS purist type needing that audio cue, but I can see the appeal in any kind of personalisation of this type.

Its a spectrum that the genre of game must submit to, because cans rattling in every street, chipmunks in trees and etc etc (to the full-audio/amb/music side) would just be comical.  It's definitely gotta be tasteful.

Maybe this should become more of a list your xxx thread if people are happy to bring suggestions to the table?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I wouldn't want music, but if ever music was added I'd prefer something more ambient and atmospheric as opposed to 'sad' piano music or some such nonsense.

• Like 1

There's something subconsciously calming and immersive to me about the pitter patter of foot steps and heavy breathing. It's probably because I've been playing for awhile now, but I think it creates the perfect ambiance and mood. It makes the sudden gunfire in the distance so much more striking.

That said, if I know I'm doing long treks in woods unlikely to be populated, I do sometimes throw some mood music on. That's largely due to over familiarity with some of the areas of chernarus.

I would like to be able to play with the mod's sounds/music in the background, when i first started playing the mod as a newbie that kept on edge even more when trying to sneak through elektro or cherno. I could just open it in youtube and listen to it, but it would feel more atmospheric if it was apart of the game again, for me anyway.

Hello there

I'd like ingame music, but it would need to be player generated (player instruments) or via radios or Walkmen type devices.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I don't like ambient music in a game like this and have never put on grim post-apocalyptic soundtracks. If I'm playing serious then no music. If I'm real bored and in the middle of nowhere then I might play whatever I normally listen to.

Hello there

I'd like ingame music, but it would need to be player generated (player instruments) or via radios or Walkmen type devices.

Rgds

LoK

Wait until they activate the big table top radio sets like the one behind the Commissar's legs, I'm going to open Chenarus's first country station and play early 90s Billy Ray Cyrus on a loop.

billy-ray-cyrus-mullet.jpg

Because what would represent the hopelessness of an apocalypse better than "Achy breaky heart" stuck in your head and the constant urge to remove it with the f11 emote.

• Like 2

Frankie won at atmospheric music with this one :

I also don't listen to music while i play, since sound is one of the most important aspects of DayZ and music would make me less responsive to small sounds.

Wait until they activate the big table top radio sets like the one behind the Commissar's legs, I'm going to open Chenarus's first country station and play early 90s Billy Ray Cyrus on a loop.

billy-ray-cyrus-mullet.jpg

Because what would represent the hopelessness of an apocalypse better than "Achy breaky heart" stuck in your head and the constant urge to remove it with the f11 emote.

Will you be requesting a similar mullet for your DayZ character? I think mullets represent hopelessness extremely graphically :P

• Like 1

Will you be requesting a similar mullet for your DayZ character? I think mullets represent hopelessness extremely graphically :P

You should see my GR8 yearbook picture, hopeless, check, mullet, check. If they do put them in game they must also have skullet variant for us older folicaly challenged white trash to represent as well.

• Like 2

Ensign just curious, can you PM me a list of songs you like to listen to while playing?

I've been looking for some more. Thanks

1. Darude - Sandstorm

2. Darude - Sandstorm

3. Sarude - Dandstorm

4. Darude - Sandstorm

Edited by JustCaused
  • Like 2

From dayz Mod:

I loved the OST from the mod and its hands down the best ambient music for a post apocalyptic game ever

There are few tracks that would fit DayZ Standalone in my opinion

Suspense_7 and Suspense_8  are really short and  should play every time you spawn, these two tracks are perfect tracks to give you the feeling "new adventure in the dark hardcore world begins"

If we're talking about ingame music then I would like to hear something like Suspense_9 and Suspense_18 (suspense_18 just fits perfectly into the world of DayZ)

So instead of continuous music playing in the background I would prefer those short tracks played from time to time lets say every 15 minutes

Edited by Sperglord