rubberman

1.8.6.1 Base building feedback

In another thread in the suggestions forum, R4z0r49 mentioned they were not getting any meaningful feedback on bases, thus being removed from stable until more feedback was garnered.  I'd think if it moves to dev branch there would be less feedback so it would likely wither on the vine there. I'm hoping to drum up some opinions and feedback on the base building system.  Specifically building/destruction of such was brought forward as areas of interest.

Anyone want some beans for feedback?

Edited by Rubberman

I don't think base building is even needed because people will just grief bases. Instead, we need features that will allow groups/clans to invade and secure cities and towns.

• Like 1

I don't think base building is even needed because people will just grief bases. Instead, we need features that will allow groups/clans to invade and secure cities and towns.

Care to explain a bit deeper to invade/secure cities and towns?  Do you mean to secure it from the zombies (e.g no respawn)  Build fencing/barricades or something else?

Also when you mean griefing bases, do you mean griefing by the builders, others or btoh?

I'd say the key to bases is that it has to be possible for a single person to break into them, but not easily done.  As a lone wolf i can build one, but even a modest one takes hours to do (procure items etc).  But a level of effort should be required to get in as well.

Wondering what i'm not thinking of that having a base hampers at this point.  I'm also not familiar with how hard it is to get into a base yet as i've just dusted off arma 2.

Also has anyone tested the effectiveness of satchel charges on walls/gates?  Since padlocks are so rare i'll likely only test on walls, but if anyone has experience with destroying walls please post them.

Will attempt the following over the next week or two:

Grenades

Smoke Grenades

Satchel Charges

Ural (if i can find one).

Another problem:  You could not have a public hive and basebuilding without some significant work or acceptable level of griefing.  If this isn't coming back then is a moot point.

No thanks i honestly hate basebuilding it's just used for hoarding vehicles and gear. Go to epoch if you like this

So really you'd be ok to get rid of tents/storage spots, body's disappear on death etc?

To you what is end game?  What do you do after your char has survived 30+ days and has all the loot?  What do you do for entertainment after a few hundred hours?  That is always the problem the concept has had for me and many others - how to keep entertained after you've walked chernarus a few times.  

I don't think hoarding is/would be much worse than it's always been really.  But i think I look at it differently - i'm looking at the base as something to build and have it destroyed and broken into.  Not an impenetrable fortress.  Really i can pick any two guys with experience and we could go to any town and lock it down so no one gets a vehicle out of the area.   You'd  have an easier time if we were penned into a 2x3 fenced off base.

Anyways, I do like that you've added an opinion though - that's all i've added too.

So really you'd be ok to get rid of tents/storage spots, body's disappear on death etc?

To you what is end game?  What do you do after your char has survived 30+ days and has all the loot?  What do you do for entertainment after a few hundred hours?  That is always the problem the concept has had for me and many others - how to keep entertained after you've walked chernarus a few times.  

I don't think hoarding is/would be much worse than it's always been really.  But i think I look at it differently - i'm looking at the base as something to build and have it destroyed and broken into.  Not an impenetrable fortress.  Really i can pick any two guys with experience and we could go to any town and lock it down so no one gets a vehicle out of the area.   You'd  have an easier time if we were penned into a 2x3 fenced off base.

Anyways, I do like that you've added an opinion though - that's all i've added too

I agree of course the game can get boring after a few hundred hours but I usually switch my play style - first play bandit then go for a harder way and try to get a hero skin. The server I play on the L85 is super rare (1.7.6.1 vanilla) and even people that have played for a few months have only found 1 or two. Since cars and stuff are rare I like to get the best car and a huey. I try to get a ghillie and meet up with friendlies and have a convoy. This is what it was like in 2012, and now, at least on the server I play on.

Anyway, about bases. I think that an entire base with giant walls and gates etc just give a HUGE advantage to big clans over other players that are solo or only have 2-3 people, not like 6.

I believe that DayZ should have just tents and trees for cover, it just feels more survivory to me. Plus, lets be honest. Most clans who build bases in DayZ just have an area for cars/tents with tons of gear and then snipe players out of their base if they come remotely close. I think Polana Factory is what people should use if they want an experience like this. (walled off base)

I'm fine with hoarding, as long as it's not in debug or in bases which players cannot access unless they break into a heavily fortified base that is super un realistic.

It is silly to say that base building on some level is not an integral part of any survival game. Simple rudimentary bases add much needed depth and enjoyment to the experience. 

In regards to feedback; the voices of distaste are often the loudest yet they usually reside in the minority. On the with the base building! Anything I can do to help I gladly will, testing, models whatever. 

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 3

Fact is you can't effectively hide tents and stashes, so the only option to secure them to some extent are the bases. It's true, they have their flaws, but they do add a lot of diversity to game play and should imho remain in the game.

If someone is having a problem with a base hoarder, he should get some of his peers and break into the base. It's not that hard. It's actually pretty easy to break down a wall. Too easy perhaps.

On Europa we had a lot of good fights defending and attacking bases.

• Like 3

If someone is having a problem with a base hoarder, he should get some of his peers and break into the base. It's not that hard. It's actually pretty easy to break down a wall. Too easy perhaps.

This is one of the main concerns the balance between putting a fence up and then destroying it again.

• Like 2

@R4Z0R49 One thing i've noted is that sometimes when using the combo lock it's very fussy moving the numbers.  Also the comfrey leaves is a bit different when you harvest them.  You get a noise (like safe locking a la epoch) and then get kicked out grabbing only 1 of them.  Then you have to reaccess to get the remaining.  (minor but incase you were unaware).

I agree that they have a place in the game. Even if you don't use them for storage, they make great "honeypots".

In terms of feedback, I would like more controls using the build camera (overhead view), when building walls.

• Like 2

In a real survival situation of course you would horde inside your shelter. But it should only be as safe as your shelter materials. they key would be to keep it safe from from zombies and wild animals. A sentient human would make short work of a simple wooden wall. You would need to have it well hidden, and protected.

• Like 1

I consider that bases it is impossible to delete + them it is necessary to finish. You shouldn't compare to Epoch. There people who play much, have a lot of money and can buy anything to destroy base. Many servers in general are without of destruction of bases. They PVE is pure. 

In usual Dayz with bases it is much more interesting. Yes. Tents a quite good subject, but them it is easy to find and also easily to destroy with one blow an axe. Them it is visible from far away. Believe, playing since 2012 Dayz I already know almost everything cool  places of a congestion of fir-trees and other trees where it is possible to put successfully tent. But it won't stay there and 1-2 days on the server with online 50-60. By experience I speak. Where wouldn't put, as if I didn't hide them under trees, to rocks and buildings.

U find heli - fly with friend in morning, when 3-5 online and loot-destroy all tents on 30-40 min.We do that many times @ many servers a cup of years ago. And we have clear map =) No tents, we with loot, other loot destroyed. Other players. who think - IM HIDE!!! sad after enter =) Thats so ez =)

In simple Dayz, comparing to Epoch, we have other situation. Destroy base is too hard.

To destroy base in Dayz there are some ways, but everywhere have a problem:

- axe, machete etc. A lot of water, food and heatpackages as very quickly we lose all parameters. Together with friend we beat a wooden wall 3 levels.  2 times refueled on full all resources. And it only 3rd level of a wall. And tree. Further, it will be possible to enter stones, iron.

- c4. Good idea, but, for example, it is very difficult to find it in default Dayz. Also there are much more interesting moments where it can be used. For example, ambushes on popular objects, ambushes on the exposed equipment of etc. Its funny too. We can choise - fun or loot, when we find hardfinder c4.

- It is possible to use a crowbar and a sledgehammer. But, by experience, I can tell that these things very often break. At me, for example, never before it turned out to hack  gate. More than 5-6 crowbars were spent. Everything was broken.

- It is possible to break by plane, the helicopter, to crash by car. But thus we can suffer. As Dayz is unpredictable. And we dont know - we destroy our car, destroy fence - and there will be nothing interesting.

And we understand - we have another players, who prevent to destroy base. They can see u and kill. We have zombies ( they hard in Vanilla ) etc.

In the conclusion I want to draw a conclusion:

- Bases bring interest in gameplay. The people gather in clans, build.

- Besides kill of the zombie and searches of the weapon is engaged in something new, interesting. Look for interesting places for bases. Diversify the map

- Do interestingly to other players. It is interesting to it to find base, to hack. To attack owners of etc

It would be very desirable to see in a new patch improvement of system of bases - material, types, the etc types. It brings bigger interest in game especially for veterans who there are a lot of years in dayz. It doesn't break balance of Dayz, it in style of this game in any way. And it isn't similar to Epoch where the  money rules world and at all of everything is full, and also all map in bases. Here such won't be.

Now it isn't so simple to construct base in Dayz. Tools break very quickly. The players running throug to the map quite often disturb killing. Zombie too.

And we need to build bases on default houses and buildings. Then we can upgrade towns 4 more interest and apocalypse atmosphere

ps: play science 2012. Hate Epoch, Military Servers, alot cars etc and others stupid mods of Dayz. Like Hardcore Dayz without ez loot =)

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 1

U do that

[Fixed] - Object collision, fences will no longer be able to be overlapped, Other objects like tents will no longer be able to be placed in rocks and stones again.

and after that we lost tent hide... The people won't be able to hide the property.

We will have in a new patch of dayz where nobody will be able to save guns etc. And cheaters by means of maphack, with which administrators of all servers can do nothing, can find shelters.

Edited by Quasimodo

U do that

[Fixed] - Object collision, fences will no longer be able to be overlapped, Other objects like tents will no longer be able to be placed in rocks and stones again.

and after that we lost tent hide... The people won't be able to hide the property.

We will have in a new patch of dayz where nobody will be able to save guns etc. And cheaters by means of maphack, with which administrators of all servers can do nothing, can find shelters.

Read the dev log again. This change is part of the base system all base items are linked this change effects the test builds only.

Perhaps off topic, but I was wondering if anyone here could make a section on the current base building on the Wiki? I've been updating the mod section (slowly) but I've not built any of the 1.8 base stuff, (I play on Shoguns, hate me if you want) and thus I know nothing about it.

I love the base building. I use small bases to store vehicles and hide my loot in stashes under trees. Does anyone know what exactly will take down a wall?

Also has anyone tested the effectiveness of satchel charges on walls/gates?  Since padlocks are so rare i'll likely only test on walls, but if anyone has experience with destroying walls please post them.

Before the opening to the public, on my server (1.8.6.1), we were curious and tried many methods, by spawning padlocks and all requirements, we've made a huge basement to make tests.

The result is clearly aleatory : some walls/gates, (any lvl) was broken by one satchel charge and some others was never broken (tested until 10 charges, from inside & outside).

We also tested twice by crashing helicopters and cars explosions, the wall and gates never fell with this method.

(excuse my bad english)

Edited by Goonty

any sort of damage even melee it does take a few hits to do so.

I noticed "[New] - Metal fences can now only be destroyed from pipebombs."  in the 1.8.7 patch notes. This sounds like a good move forward if I understand some of the issues correctly.

The difficulty in destroying or even gaining access to a base should definitely relate to how much time\effort it takes to build and what materials are being used.

So I imagine the question then becomes. How difficult is it to make the Metal fences compared to gathering a few pipebombs to make a hole large enough to move a vehicle out?

Slightly off topic, but I found after gathering a reasonable amount of gear and stashes. Building a base to help protect a vehicle and gathering the materials and food required became the only real reason I had to move around the map.

Bear in mind, i'm quite new so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :P

Wooden fences are by design much easier to build and gain access too, metal fences will be much harder the question still stands how much harder will they be.