Sign in to follow this  
q.S Sachiel

CPU issue / PC unstable

Hey guys

Quite a few questions buried in this one, sorry. Been having problems:

Recently started getting semi-frequent infinite loops with sound and screen freeze during more gfx intensive games like dayz / eagle dynamics sims.  The PC would lock up and be unresponsive to recovery like ALT/CTRL/DEL or alt/tab etc.  Hard restart was required.

Got a BSOD once or twice, my display even failed while browsing at one point, screen said 'no display' then went to black (green light to orange) and then wouldn't recover. Sound was heard but screen wouldn't display.

I originally suspected GFX / mobo / CPU but also wasn't sure about my peripheral Saitek x52pro.  Unlplugged from USB and works fine.

Did a memory check, no issues.  Ran benchmark 3d test, no issues (with reasonably good FPS and no stutter / sound tearing).

Ran Core Temp 1.0 and i'm hitting ~45C idle, and ~85C on a relatively high load. 

Is this normal kind of temps?  Anyone with a similar / newer intel card got any feedback?  I've checked intel's specifications but they're all around 45-65C passive/active temp.  Other posts i've seen outside this site suggest that 75C isn't non-normal.

It was originally up at around 105 before I took out the CPU fan, gave it a good blow (it was clogged AF) and then air canistered the mobo and GPU fans/heat sinks.  That seemed to have shaved 20 off.  I know 105 is up at operating limit, so that was a bad sign.

Also, when taking the CPU fan off (because i felt blowing dust all over the mobo / socket would be counterproductive too) do you need to reset the thermal paste, or is this more for applying after-market fans and things?  How many times can you take the CPU fan off without needing to reapply thermal paste?

PC is around 2 years old, as per signature:

GPU  GTX 670 2GB

CPU  intel core4 i3770k @ 3.5GHz

RAM  16GB DDR3 Ram corsair dual-channel (2x8GB)

Mobo AS Rock Z77 extreme 6

PSU 850W corsair something or other.

can post hd/ssd issues too, but i have no issue reading or writing.

Like i kinda said, after giving it a blow its gotten better and haven't had a crash yet.  Going to check bios settings and see if i can up my fan speeds on the case etc... but yeah, standard kind of stuff?

And i don't OC.

Also, when taking the CPU fan off (because i felt blowing dust all over the mobo / socket would be counterproductive too) do you need to reset the thermal paste, or is this more for applying after-market fans and things?  How many times can you take the CPU fan off without needing to reapply thermal paste?

Reapplying paste wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially if you think some of that dust may have collected on the exposed paste. You don't need to change everytime you remove the heatsink but it wouldn't hurt if you did. Just make sure to clean off all the old before applying the new. 

What is your OS? 

Sometimes reseating everything fixes problems but then again more handling may cause more problems. 

Got a BSOD once or twice, my display even failed while browsing at one point, screen said 'no display' then went to black (green light to orange) and then wouldn't recover. Sound was heard but screen wouldn't display.

This sounds like a video card issue, especially since you lost signal to the monitor. Do you have the latest drivers for your card? Do you have the BIOS set to send video out the GPU only or both onboard and GPU? Did you get the BSOD reference number?

Like i kinda said, after giving it a blow its gotten better and haven't had a crash yet. 

IT DOESN'T CRASH ANYMORE!!!! THEN YOU FIXED IT!!!! WHY ARE YOU POSTING!!!!! GET PLAYING EXP>!!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Edited by blacktwin

Well if it happens again, you can try to check if the error code helps to find where the issue might be

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html

I know it's not easy to remember the code because you likely don't have any time to get photo of it.

Green and orange screen sounds like a GPU issue. Green and orange colored screen usually happens when something isn't currently right with it, like overheating or bad OC etc.. At least I remember those colors when I've had some problem with GPU. If CPU hangs, you won't hear sound unless maybe some kind of a jammed sound, your USB stuff loses likely connection to the computer, screen goes likely black and that kind of stuff.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Yeah i took out the GPU and gave the intake fins a bit of a blow out too.  Reseated it and cleaned out fans etc...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into applying more thermal paste, give it a run and consider a new cpu fan if they're cheap enough...

Still pretty sure 85C is quite high for non OC, but if anyone could confirm with a similar card?

Like i've said above, Intel and other sources say between 65-75 as normal working load, but not at 13% :S  Just uncertain as to the expected range and working temps...

g more thermal paste, give it a run and consider a new cpu fan if they're cheap enough...

Still pretty sure 85C is quite high for non OC, but if anyone could confirm with a similar card?

Like i've said above, Intel and other sources say between 65-75 as normal working load, but not at 13% :S  Just uncertain as to the expected range and working temps...

Coolers are cheap if you don't want to go on very high end or watercooling. For example CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is one of the best bang for your buck if you don't want to spend much. It costed me 30€ and it's a big difference compared to stock.

Yeah 85C with stock clocks and pretty low load sounds bit more than it should be. Though 85C won't likely do any harm but when the load increases so will the temps likely so if you suddenly start to make something more demanding, it could get bit high.

85° is too hot for that cpu, although it is a known hotrunner, you need to reset the fan and apply new paste, some recommend doing so every two years.

Get a cooler, I recommend the ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO or equivalent, really easy to set and comes with the paste applied.

Just check you have enough room (Item dimensions L x W x H 12.2 x 9.7 x 13 centimeter)

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/arctic-cooling-freezer-13-co-for-intel-socket-1156-1155-1366-775-fm1-am3-am2-am2-up-to-200watts-continuous-operation-24-7-cooling/

RE PM...

I've managed to find the intel specs and the absolute maximum is 105°C...
However...(difference between Tcase & core temps)
TCASE 67.4°C

1.4 Processor SKU Definitions
i7-3770K 77 1600 MHz 3.5 GHz up to 3.9 GHz 650 MHz up to 1150 MHz 105

Here is the link (full data).

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html

This Topic...(overclockers ftw)

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/193510-max-safe-voltage-and-temps-for-3770k/

It is my understanding that throttling will kick in when that top range is hit (90°C+), which may explain the bsod's and shutdowns.

Popular lore says that voltage overclocking is more damaging than excessive temps (see max) so in theory 80°C should not be fateful but you must understand that age, wear and tear affects us all, including cpu's !

As for the cooler, yes I have one myself and have fitted two others in computers that I have put together (for friends).
They are easy to install and come with kits for both amd and intel sockets including the 1155 + pre applied thermal paste.

Depending on the size and airflow available in your computer case, I think it safe to expect a drop of 10/15°C.

You may encounter problems when replacing the original socket push pins because the MB is too close to the fixing plate, something I have only read about but never encountered myself.
This video, although not the same cooler (13Pro) the fitting system is the exact same, I have also installed the 13 pro on another machine (twice).

The only problem I have ever encountered in the past when changing coolers was a cpu fan that was near welded onto the cpu (amd), this was due to severe overheating but I did manage to separate the two with gentle persuasion and a lot of 90° pure alcohol.

Might help, might not !

Alright guys, cheers for the info and guidance.

The Arctic Freeze was my first choice as it looked to have a beefier heat sink, larger fans and pre-applied thermal paste.  It is however now a discontinued item, by word of the local supplier.

AUS stores have it mostly out of stock or unlisted, so not sure if it's US-limited or something, or they've discontinued production/support outright.

Ended up going with the Coolermaster Hyper 212X CPU cooler.  Had to rotate it so the fan would not interfere with my RAM slots and i'm not sure that the fan is firing in the correct direction relative to the case fan which is adjacent it.  Concave/vex surfaces always gave me the run around so i'll have a look and a ponder if anything changes or i get the time.

However, temperatures are now running at a nice 25-35C at idle, and peak temps were 65/74/70/66 © during the intel processor diagnostic tool 64bit @ 100%load which sustained it at that point for several minutes.

Pretty impressed so far.  The part was definitely quite fiddly, and the parts were machined in such a way in that they worked, but didn't inspire confidence (spacer lug has a planed section on the thread so as to mate flush surface with rear-mounting bracket.  This planing/chamfer job has reduced the thread gauge and more importantly, changed the thread spacing at point of chamfer.  The fastening nuts only went on easy 2/4 nuts.  The other two needed a slight (not overly large) amount of force to put on with the supplied socket adapter, however it doesn't inspire confidence that I'm not cross-threading them, seeing as how i NEED mechanical assistance to attach them, and they return a large resistance with only less than 1 revolution of gentle finger tightening.

The upper mounting bracket is also a little fiddly but no real complaints there.

Plastic fins for the fan bracket did not screw in properly because they haven't threaded the holes in which they're supposed to go, and i don't see the finsn providing a whole lot of aerodynamics anyway.  They also blocked my RAM in that configuration, so i left them off for now.

So just gotta watch those temps and hope we burn in and they stabilise or go down further, but thanks again!!!

Edited by q.S Sachiel