Sign in to follow this  
Zurvivalist

Skybox

Correct me if I'm totally missing something 

but it seems to me that the skybox in DayZ is just about useless when compared to Arma 2s .

I remember being able to navigate by sun / moon location related to time of day, Star constellations and wind direction .

DayZs skybox seems useless. No definable constellations ( big dipper/ north star ) , I disabled clouds so no clue if wind direction or shadows  stays consistent , The sun rise/set seems to be more North/south then it does east/west The sun is so utterly blinding that it hurts my eyes to even look in its general direction half the time. Nevermind the annoying constant glare .... 

I know some may try to argue that due to Cherno location the suns location and stars would be different .. But .. Some lines need to be drawn for play-ability sake. 

And finally , the tide system and waves , I can not tell if it even works, but if it does, needs to be jacked WAY up from what it currently is . Would like to see the tide raise atleast high enough to touch the grass line every few hours . 

• Like 1

The sun will always rise properly in the east and set in the west. The behavior of the moon is correct as well. Clouds always move northwest in DayZ (right now anyways), so you can use this to navigate easily. I've never tried to navigate via constellations, so I couldn't comment on that.

The constellations visible from Chernarus should be the same ones we see everywhere in the Northern hemisphere.

There is a tide system, but no real wave system I am aware of. If there is, it's very minor. Visible and audible wave splashes on the shore would be nice.

Yes, you can navigate by the stars:

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Navigating

Yep, something I could never grasp in real life until I learned to do it in DayZ.

The sun works too, got my 10 year old son to run 20 minutes through the woods and run smack into me by him heading straight for it and me chasing my shadow. 

I'm fairly certain I've never seen any constellations in the night skybox, I'll double check again tonight . 

Or could this .. like clouds and shadows, be video related ? 

I'm fairly certain I've never seen any constellations in the night skybox, I'll double check again tonight . 

Or could this .. like clouds and shadows, be video related ? 

My X2 Athlon and overtaxing screen ratio have my GFX favoring the potato end of the spectrum, faint at times but they're there.

Edited by BCBasher

tested again tonight just to double check , went to a few night time servers. Stars are so far away , its near impossible to determine constellations , 
Sun &Moon would be far more helpful if they Rose/Set on  primary cardinal points (N,E,S,W) Rather than SE-NW ish. 
I know this could be argued as "realistic" but some sacrifices need to be made for play-ability . Especially for un geared newer players who have not yet mastered navigation skills. 

Edit - I was mean.

Edited by schwaBAM

Northerners have it easy anyways! Imagine us in the southern hemisphere who've never even seen half of those stars, and for who the sun is supposed to be in the North. If a few players can't handle a slight aberration of orientation from NESW, then get a friggin' compass and man up.

• Like 1

You know that it depends on the time of the year where the sun sets and rises and also how high up the sun gets? That's simulated in the engine. You can easily test and play with it in Arma 3 (when using Chernarus because everything depends where in the world the island is set) and it's the same in Arma 2.

In midsummer it rises pretty much NE and sets NW, in winter it's SE and sets SW and in the time between those it's everything between. It depends when the mission is set.

It shouldn't be NESW unless there's a bug or you're watching wrong where the sun rises and sets. Also you're living in Florida according to your account. It likely makes the difference because Czech is about in the same level as the border of USA and Canada.

/Btw if the server restarts to the default time and the time is 9:20AM, the date could be the default Arma 2 Chernarus one which is Oct. 11th 2008. That's the default time also set in Chernaplus.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Correct me if I'm totally missing something 

but it seems to me that the skybox in DayZ is just about useless when compared to Arma 2s .

I remember being able to navigate by sun / moon location related to time of day, Star constellations and wind direction .

DayZs skybox seems useless. No definable constellations ( big dipper/ north star ) , I disabled clouds so no clue if wind direction or shadows  stays consistent , The sun rise/set seems to be more North/south then it does east/west The sun is so utterly blinding that it hurts my eyes to even look in its general direction half the time. Nevermind the annoying constant glare .... 

I know some may try to argue that due to Cherno location the suns location and stars would be different .. But .. Some lines need to be drawn for play-ability sake. 

And finally , the tide system and waves , I can not tell if it even works, but if it does, needs to be jacked WAY up from what it currently is . Would like to see the tide raise atleast high enough to touch the grass line every few hours . 

I was ironically discussing this with someone not two days ago.  I was describing timepiece land navigation and how during A2/mod days its application was a great tool.

• Like 1

I was ironically discussing this with someone not two days ago.  I was describing timepiece land navigation and how during A2/mod days its application was a great tool.

You used to be able to tell north with shadows and your watch. That was the best.

• Like 1

For the love of GOD make sure it will be like this again, mighty overseer!!!

I see the Big Dipper and Oryon's Belt all the time in DayZ.