Irish.

I feel stupid like I did in DayZ 3 years ago.. please help!

So I took a break.. and now I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do two things.. start a fire and use binoculars.

Please if anyone can help.. that would be appreciated.

Sidenote, it feels nice to feel noobish again ;)

• Like 4

Binoculars you look through them like you would holding a gun. (Default right-click) Though you're better off just using a scope off a gun, usually take less space.

Fires you need bark from a tree, combine that with a stick to make a hand drill. Get kindling and some sticks and off you go...I'm sure there is a wiki somewhere for crafting and stuff...

• Like 1

You can't make a fire on the floor of any buildings any more, but you can make a fire using an oven, if the house has one.

• Like 1

First off, thanks!

I can't seem to get the binoculars to work though..

I pull them out, appear to look through them and it only shows my player holding them.. not actually down the lens. Doesnt matter what view Im in, 3rd or 1st.. its just me holding them to my face but not actually using them. Ill keep testing

• Like 1

Right click like you were attempting to aim down sight if you are in 3rd PP.

• Like 1

To light a fire, you must have a fireplace kit placed in a suitable location, and it must contain kindling.  You can drop a rag and a stick on the grey header area of the fireplace kit, where the name is printed, to provide kindling.  You must be holding your matches or hand-drill in hands and looking at the fireplace to light it.

To look down binoculars, you must have them equipped in hand, raised and ready to use by pressing space bar, and then just right click and release to look through them; holding right click will not work.

Man Ive tried everything with the binoculars.. I suck :/

• Like 1

Have you played Arma 3? Or ACE2 mod in Arma 2? Binocs work just like in those. Though people have already explained here how those work.

Spacebar and right click are your friend in some combo or other, keep trying :)

• Like 1

If trying what is said here doesn't work, it might be a bug too. Couple weeks ago I had problem with binoculars & PU scope not showing as supposed to. Problem was solved when I logged off and back in though.

If trying what is said here doesn't work, it might be a bug too. Couple weeks ago I had problem with binoculars & PU scope not showing as supposed to. Problem was solved when I logged off and back in though.

Very true!  I have had problems in the past with binoculars, like in .53, I think.  It used to just glitch out on the animation of raising the binoculars up to one's face.  It looked like I was bashing my own face in with them.  #somewhereonthespectrum

I have my keys rebinded, but right click still zooms normal.. the only issue is it does not work in any way shape or form for binos.

Oh well, I give up.. lol. Thanks anyhow :)

like keno said, you've got to 'ready' your binoculars first (defualt space)

use whatever key you use to raise/lower your weapon to safe/active state (prior to then raising to shoulder)

so for binocs, the process shouldbe:

place bino in hand

press 'ready weapon' button (default space)

raise optic to eye (default rclick)

observe couples copulating at up to 1000m.

You'll also notice you can't tear rags from items anymore: you need a sharp tool to do this now.  Fastest way to acchieve this tool is an improvised knife (1slot).  Look for stone-ground texture (grey with angular chunks of rock) then use your mwheel/spam use while looking at ground and select 'search for stones'.  Repeat until stone is acchieved, and then on the same texture, use your new found clastic friend to 'craft improvised knife'. 

viola: 1slot man piercer that also rips objects and (i believe) can butcher meat/open preserved food.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 2

So I took a break.. and now I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do two things.. start a fire and use binoculars.

Please if anyone can help.. that would be appreciated.

Sidenote, it feels nice to feel noobish again ;)

Hollar at me irish, ill hook you up.

• Like 1

oh Irish I have to say this thread made me a chuckle a little.... all these kind peeps talkin to ya like you started playing yesterday. I would offer some advice for the binocs but everything I know to do has already been mentioned. methinks this deservers some investigation - will keep you posted ;)

• Like 1

I have my keys rebinded, but right click still zooms normal.. the only issue is it does not work in any way shape or form for binos.

Right click shouldn't zoom. Holding right mouse button zooms. Can you even bring up gun sights? Because binocs work exactly the same way.

/Hmm maybe numpad 0 could help you? That was the other button to bring sights in Arma 2 if the view only zoomed and not changed to the optic view, numpad 0 helped.

Edited by St. Jimmy

I should have specified i meant 1 short click of right mouse, not a click and hold like when you zoom your view. Space to ready binocs so you see them bottom of screen, then a right click (short) as if you were bringing up a scope (not zooming said scope).

Just in case you've forgotten your keybinds:

Configure>Assignments>Infantry Weapons:

Toggle raise weapon: (default space) to ready binocs once in hand

Optics: (num 0 / rclick (second mouse button)) to level optic to eyes.

if you are STILL experiencing issues, then you may want to risk dropping the item from inventory completely, then picking back up.  If this fails then you are alone sir.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Its official.. my binos are broke. 

I would make a video to show you all what happens and what Im doing and all that.. but honestly, they're broken.

Im over it. I'll just have to give up my DayZ of being the local Elektro peeping tom.

Are computer game bugs contagious and can they be transmitted over internet forum discussions?

Maybe it's the same disease I just got, and have slightly different symptoms to Irish. When the Kashtan scope is attached to an AK I get the zoom but not the sight through scope, and if I take the scope in my hand and try to use it like a binoc, then I get a weird picture where my thumb covers most of the scope. Binoculars and every other scope I have, PU, hunting, pistol, etc. seem to work normally though. What gives? Logging off and restarting Dayz didn't help this time.

There are a few wierd things that happen, though i'm still not sure exactly what's going on with ur binos.

I remember back when M4's were all oer the place i killed two guys at NWAF one with M4 and ACOG/equiv.  Whenever I wanted to zoom in with the ACOG, i'd be looking through the mounting brackets and not the actual optic ><

No matter what i tried this still happened back then, and i think it may have persisted through logoff so i ended up dropping it (and finding another SKS > :( )

The more pressing question is, how are all us exhibitionists out there going to get our jollies off without needed to get up and personal and smell your sweat?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Its official.. my binos are broke. 

I would make a video to show you all what happens and what Im doing and all that.. but honestly, they're broken.

Im over it. I'll just have to give up my DayZ of being the local Elektro peeping tom.

Are u raising your fists before r/clicking? I doubt that the game code has re-written itself to be different on your PC so we need to establish what everyone is talking about first.

As you have remapped your keys, can you raise your fists? Whatever key you use for this is what you need to press to bring your binos up.

Can you aim down sights on a weapon? Whatever you use for that you press next and should give you the bino view :)