DrStone

What changed with DayZ?

First off huge props to the dev team, you all have done a great job taking DayZ from a mod to a standalone game.

A little back ground - I am a DayZ player and fan boy from back in the days of the mod with over 700 hours in the standalone.

Now to the hard part.... If you had asked me prior to 0.58 to describe DayZ the one word I would never have used is boring, it had always been unique, fun, and unexpected every time you played the game. However, since 0.58 is just seems "meh" kind of boring now. And that is not just me that is my entire clan. We all formed as a clan just to play DayZ, and we even collected money to put up our own server, and even ran server events with YouTube hosts with prizes. It was a great time. Now we just can't bring outself to even log in anymore.

So what changed? The looting changed and the game lost so many players. The loot now is just boring now, before there always seem to be plenty of things to keep you going, but still always those things you had to work for. Now you have a hard time just finding food and seems like you will be kill just for the meat on your bones. Good luck finding the "fun stuff" like getting a fully equipped AK or being able to really customize your character since its all you can do to just stay warm and fed.

I know the devs seem to want to promote the hunting and fishing elements, but some of us don't enjoy that and did not buy DayZ for that. Maybe the mod community can revitalize it, but at this point I hate to say it but it is just boring now, please find a way to add back that element of excitement. Not sure cutting the firearms down to crazy hard to find is helping that issue. Maybe adding random non-infected AI (like AI military or AI bad guys) that just roam about the map. Maybe random events like finding a wiped out military squad with all their gear across the map.

I'm not sure, just brain storming some ways to get things going again.

• Like 1

I am not sure why you think it is so hard to find food, clothing, and guns.  My group has more guns and ammo than I have ever been able to retain.  I can usually find civilian weapons quite easily as well as ammo in a relatively short amount of time.  Pick apples like Kirby said and then head inland.

Edited by schwaBAM
  • Like 3

I'm sorry to say , but in 700 hours , you have completely failed to learn how to play this game. If you struggle with any of the mechanics beyond basic run and loot survival. Then you really should stop and re take a few hours to learn the basics. It will create an entirely new game for you . 

With 0.58 the Devs made it abundantly clear they are aiming at going far beyond a simple run and gun shooter. (Their are far better games for this on the market anyways ) 

You now have a multitude of factors to keep track of while attempting to survive long enough to get that pvp action your after. 

You are now forced to loot for more than just guns and ammo

Ways of feeding your self . 
Loot-able none perishable foods, 
Abundance of static apple trees.
Gardening 

Hunting 

fishing 

trapping 

Hydration 

Wells

Sodas

ponds 

Warmth 

Fire 

Heatpacks 

clothing 

torches 

crafted heat packs 

Crafted weapons allow you to be instantly geared before you leave the beach. Everything beyond that is just an upgrade to look forward to . 

After a mear few hours of survival training learning the base mechanics , your group should never have these problems, they all simple become side tasks , to do when required. 

Of course this is all moot if your one of those old players that wanted the game to be so ridiculously easy that you spawned in on the beach with full gear and weapons... Just so you could run into cherno and KOS .. Which eventually was tested and proved to fail to keep players interested for more then a few weeks 

• Like 2

L2P, the game is boring right now because stuff is too easy to find and there's no PVE challenge.

Typical COD kid gear and gun whine post.

I miss pre fix .55.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 7

I think people are being a bit unfair, though I do disagree it is hard to find food/weapons.  Automatics are still incredibly abundant and food isn't that big of a deal.  I think there is an underlying issue here that people have ignored.

You said your clan got their own server, I believe that's likely the problem.  Is it a private server and is the population decent?  Currently loot will not respawn unless interacted with.  It's a very real possibility that if your server isn't active enough, your loot just isn't turning over and as a result you think it is difficult to find stuff because new stuff isn't actually respawning.

Or maybe you're bad at the game, who knows =P

• Like 2

Hey buddy, not everybody here is an alpha screamer. DayZ is nothing worth playing at the moment. But in time (maybe a year or two) it might be. My point is if you enjoyed playing the mod, most of what you enjoyed is absent at this stage in development of the standalone. It is an early access in the purest sense, this is defiantly a low point. But someday, someday maybe my game will be good again. All you can do is wait.....

• Like 1

Food is not scarce, not at all. Its easy to gear up a character and going to a hotspot usually means leaving with a bunch of good items. I agree that its quite boring though. The boring part is that theres only four places to go, Zelenogorsk, Vybor mil base, Myshkino tents and NW airfield. The rest of the map is basically useless unless PVP in cherno or Bambiraping in Berezino is your thing. Running into someone somewhere else is a 1/100 chance. It happens but very rarely. Its not strange, people want to go where theres something interesting happening. Whats sad about it as that there have been other places as interesting as the ones above but changes have made those places useless.

Prison island used to be an exciting place to go, a long swim, tense atmosphere while you checked for players there and a good reward of weapons and equipment if you survived the journey, now - useless.

NE airfield had lots of people going there for the proximity to Berezino and the military loot that spawned there. On 0.57 people went there for the truck and humvee spawn. Now - useless.

Novo tower used to spawn weapons and lots of other stuff. Now you can find Fireman outfits there but other than that - useless.

The Northern towns were a goldmine on 0.57 with guard houses, humvees and police stations, now - useless.

The bar buildings often had civ weapons, food and gear, now -useless.

Humvees where a great place to gear up, and what spawned there were enough to get you going, now - useless

Pavlovo must be the most useless Military locations ever. LOTS of houses but only crap loot. Used to be good, now - useless

It seems that everything except the military locations meantioned earlier has gone completely random. You search fifty houses and find low end gear and now weapons. then you check three more and find five guns. I preferred it when you knew "thats a gun house" or "thats a food house" etc. You went there and as long as nobody had beat you to it you could find what you needed. 

Random sucks in every game that has it, and lots of them do. I can't really see how it can be so hard to just look at what was working and implement it instead of doing it like it is now. 

Edited by Killawife

Also, wrong forum.

Report it please, otherwise the mods will sleep all night and day.

Done.

• Like 1

I find 0.58 extremely boring, too, but not for the reasons you give. The PvE aspect is ridiculously easy and/or broken, civilian loot is extremely easy to get. And on the top of that, people are starting to disappear from the private servers I play. Where used to be at least 20+ players, now 7 is a lot. 0.58 is definitely driving people away.

But the main beef I have is with sentences like that:

I know the devs seem to want to promote the hunting and fishing elements, but some of us don't enjoy that and did not buy DayZ for that.

Then you made a mistake. I don't know why the sandbox aspect fools so many players, but DayZ has been always marketed as "postapo survival", the PvP element (at least in this amount) is there mainly because it's WIP. When you buy a horror game, do you complain it's too scary? Would "Civilization 5" be great if not for that "civilization management" thing? Do you see anyone at CoD boards complaining that there's no fishing?

It's nice that some people bought DayZ as FPS shooter, it puts bread on the table at BI, but the truth is, they promised a completely different game and the only way to increase the survival difficulty that I see is to cut down the exact elements which make PvPing easy (abundant food/weapons, etc.), so I'm afraid they will have some bad news for you in the future. Fortunately, there are so many other games that fit your style! Let us enjoy this one little zed apo game as it is meant to be.

• Like 8

DayZ has always been marketed as "post-apoc survival".  Do you see anyone at CoD boards complaining that there's no fishing?

slightly edited , but hands down the best response I have ever read here 

• Like 3

I don't think .58 specifically is driving people away, people are just bored because it's taking so long for .59.  Because we've all been playing the same game for months if not years.  That's just a reality of early access at this point, not this patch specifically which is actually a pretty good patch. 

• Like 1

I think dayz is only online survival game, while there are many online shooters. Leave us survivors with at least one real, hard, though and frustrating survival game. I think once devs put all things together DayZ will be good.  

• Like 2

First off huge props to the dev team, you all have done a great job taking DayZ from a mod to a standalone game.

A little back ground - I am a DayZ player and fan boy from back in the days of the mod with over 700 hours in the standalone.

Now to the hard part.... If you had asked me prior to 0.58 to describe DayZ the one word I would never have used is boring, it had always been unique, fun, and unexpected every time you played the game. However, since 0.58 is just seems "meh" kind of boring now. And that is not just me that is my entire clan. We all formed as a clan just to play DayZ, and we even collected money to put up our own server, and even ran server events with YouTube hosts with prizes. It was a great time. Now we just can't bring outself to even log in anymore.

So what changed? The looting changed and the game lost so many players. The loot now is just boring now, before there always seem to be plenty of things to keep you going, but still always those things you had to work for. Now you have a hard time just finding food and seems like you will be kill just for the meat on your bones. Good luck finding the "fun stuff" like getting a fully equipped AK or being able to really customize your character since its all you can do to just stay warm and fed.

I know the devs seem to want to promote the hunting and fishing elements, but some of us don't enjoy that and did not buy DayZ for that. Maybe the mod community can revitalize it, but at this point I hate to say it but it is just boring now, please find a way to add back that element of excitement. Not sure cutting the firearms down to crazy hard to find is helping that issue. Maybe adding random non-infected AI (like AI military or AI bad guys) that just roam about the map. Maybe random events like finding a wiped out military squad with all their gear across the map.

It's actually still really easy to find gear and food, which is why everyone is running around fully geared like a commando. Lack of meaningful zombies has effected the game and made it a little thin on entertainment but they'll be back in next patch we're told. It's an alpha and the game was always going to change a bunch of times for better and for worse as they play with settings and make it right. No, AI soldiers are a bad idea in my opinion. I'd just wait for zombies and new vehicles, new weapons and stuff. As far as food it's incredibly easy to stay alive to the point nobody worries about starving or dehydration anymore. I think they need to fix the Apple glitch, the Officer glitch and add hard ass zombies to the mix, all the while slightly reducing military grade weapon spawns. Then we'd have a monster on our hands ;)

Hey buddy, not everybody here is an alpha screamer. DayZ is nothing worth playing at the moment. But in time (maybe a year or two) it might be. My point is if you enjoyed playing the mod, most of what you enjoyed is absent at this stage in development of the standalone. It is an early access in the purest sense, this is defiantly a low point. But someday, someday maybe my game will be good again. All you can do is wait.....

It's actually still a really fun game if you're willing to temporarily change your playstyle. You don't have to change your view of what it should one day be, to enjoy the fun parts of what it is now. I'm just using this "PvP only" vibe to get my PvP game well on point, while also remembering that one day things should be much more deep and survival based. Also, it's a sandbox so part of the experience will always be creating content of your own, and setting your own goals.

I think dayz is only online survival game, while there are many online shooters. Leave us survivors with at least one real, hard, though and frustrating survival game. I think once devs put all things together DayZ will be good.  

Have you tried the long dark? Its pretty fun and #canada

• Like 1

Have you tried the long dark? Its pretty fun and #canada

No I havent. But isnt that single player only?

No I havent. But isnt that single player only?

Really doesn't matter though the survival core of the game is pretty damn solid. You will enjoy it even if its only single player. I shit you not its a good buy.

• Like 3

They have said that this was the direction the game was heading from day one. Guns and stuff only spawned as much as they did for testing purposes. You should have paid more attention to what the devs have said about the game and heeded the alpha warnings. Food/water and guns are still easy to find, so I'm not sure why you are complaining to begin with.

Edited by hellcat420

Really doesn't matter though the survival core of the game is pretty damn solid. You will enjoy it even if its only single player. I shit you not its a good buy.

I saw friends playing ir, and looks frustrating hard. I didn't say it's not good. What I like in dayz is co-op, playing and surviving with my virtual friends (I play with people from other countries and different continents). Best moments in dayz were when we went to raids in zombie infested areas. Please devs, give us game like that. If people want fast PvP they should play Arma 3 mods. Let us fight deceases, hunger, cold and zombies in peace.
  • Like 2

This is the easiest I have ever found the game for weapons and survival. I've never managed to get a fully working m4 or steyer and I've somehow found the two to double carry at the moment. It is ridiculous how many people are actually going around with this stuff. Two days ago I had a mosin, maggie and shotty. Today I have the assault rifles above with 3 double mags and am energised, hydrated and healthy! While the rest-bite is somewhat enjoyable for in-between patches, I can't help but feel it all came too easily! I'm like a one man army at the moment!

I saw friends playing ir, and looks frustrating hard. I didn't say it's not good. 

No i know what you mean but you really should get in on it at least until Dayz has the features that The Long Dark provides. Because right now when i think survival i normally think of that game for right now or Dayz mod at the least.

• Like 1

More like zed amount changed and the game "lost" players.

I'm now multiplayer addict, I play dayz mod or Arma3 mods which are really good and getting better and better every week. If you played mod, you know how much different every server can be.

Mods are really good, but survival part will never be as detailed as in standalone. I mean, where do you get 5 different items when you kill a cow? All those items must be used for crafting useful items. If devs spend time designing things like that, you can't say PvP is priority and basic aspect of game. Sadly, all that is now not necessary because there are no zombies, food is easy to find or some mechanics are simply broken.