SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

Yes, sir.

Myself as well as others would like to see windows capable of, opening, closing, locking, entering/exiting through, and breaking.

I even seem to remember people(devs/rocket?) talking about breaking windows with a blanket over them, like zoimboid, to reduce sound and chance for cuts....

^My response when you asked me to elaborate on "improved windows".

*a gentle bump/reminder*

Vehicle inventory capacity is likely to change in the future, but will we ever be able to attach things like barrels or jerry cans to the truck physically, rather than storing them in inventory? It would be kind of cool to see the cargo version of the V3S with a bunch of barrels in the back or something (each one taking up a player slot).

Will the new reloading system allow for holding down a key to load firearms with internal magazines, such as the Repeater, one round at a time?

There was a question earlier about a Steyr AUG A3 found in the game files. However, I seem to remember there was talk of the Steyr AUG being able to swap receivers and barrels. Is this still planned?

Also, are there still plans to allow fire modes to be toggled, provided the weapon has such a selector? It would be nice to conserve ammunition, knowing your weapon can only fire semi-automatically.

Will we see more sawed-off versions of civilian weapons, or even something like a purpose-built "mare's leg"?

Finally, once certain changes are made to the engine by the gameplay team, is there a possibility of finding subsonic and other types of specialty ammunition besides slugs for shotguns?

Edited by Guest

*snip*

Oh lord, just think about it. Rivers frozen so no fishing, ground too cold so no possibility to grow vegetables. We're doomed!

*snip*

Nope, we'll still be able to brutally murder animals while they're peacefully hibernating. Can't wait to Luke Skywalker my way through the winter.

• Like 2

Are ever able to climb over obstacles?

Can we ever paint vehicles?

What feature you wait most to get in to the game?

1) Lets wait and see how comprehensive our options are with the new animation system

2) I'll have to get back to you on that.

3) 100 Player servers? Maybe fixed wing aircraft. (I'm a bit partial to that as my DayZ Mod - Mod brought Dean's Maule to DayZ)

• Like 3

Q : "Hardcore servers", still in the pipeline or abandoned?

Still in the pipe, just not super high priority right now.

• Like 6

Will these 100 person servers come at the expense of infected amount? I find that on the 50 person servers I have just enough player interaction (at hot spots but also, on occasion, just out in the middle of nowhere) to keep me on my toes. If increased player count = less infected, I'd actually prefer more zeds! :(

• Like 1

Will these 100 person servers come at the expense of infected amount? I find that on the 50 person servers I have just enough player interaction (at hot spots but also, on occasion, just out in the middle of nowhere) to keep me on my toes. If increased player count = less infected, I'd actually prefer more zeds! :(

Double the people, double the zeds. More human competition means more zed competition.

Another post above reminded me of this, I know you mentioned an overhaul to how reloading will work. The details you did mention were pretty awesome. 

I think a part of it was that ammo could get jammed in the gun. With this being possible or even other events like this, is there any plan to allow us to look at our gun a little more closely? 

I think some games have animations that let you look at the gun and turn it over in your hands (because they have 5w337 skinz!) but if we had a similar option we could see maybe the fire mode (if thats a lever on the gun) or a jammed round or something like that. 

This would be far better than adding more text like: 

"Mmm I'm so hot." 

"I have a feeling that my gun is jammed."

"My feet hurt."

For Mr. Hicks, if his is so inclined:

1) So sometimes, albeit rarely, I find myself behind an unaware player that is simply laying there and trying to snipe people for no real reason. I think to myself, how great would it be if I could go up behind this guy, pull this combat knife out of my boots, and slit this guy's throat without making much of a sound just in case he has friends around? When I think of this, I'm imagining an animation sequence wherein there could even be a skill based struggle of some kind. Seems pretty gritty, survival-y to me and like it would be right up DayZ's metaphorical aisle. What say you?

2) SInce it's not possible for us to have access to Enscript just yet, what would you recommend a prospective modder do to prepare in the mean time as far as scripting is concerned? Since, as you previously mentioned, Enscript is closer to C++ than to Real Virtuality's SQF, would it be most advisable to brush up on C++ while we wait?

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Q. You mention advanced crafting needing the new UI, I play at 3840X768px and hated it the bit I tried it because it involved lots of scrolling up and down to see, and move items. Are you going to make it scaleable to accommodate other screen ratios and pixel heights?  

We'd definitely like to - I think we'll have to circle back around once the proper design and configuration is done and see how it looks.

• Like 4

Double the people, double the zeds. More human competition means more zed competition.

I meant in terms of performance. If 50 more players is equal to, say, 1000 more zeds, I'd rather we get the zeds! 

• Like 1

Yes, sir.

Myself as well as others would like to see windows capable of, opening, closing, locking, entering/exiting through, and breaking.

I even seem to remember people(devs/rocket?) talking about breaking windows with a blanket over them, like zoimboid, to reduce sound and chance for cuts....

Ah ha! Just like PZ. (I love that game and those devs - if you have not checked it out, search for Project Zomboid on Steam). Sadly, I'm not sure that kind of depth is going to be something thats reachable within the scope of 1.0.

That said - Im certain if you wanted to author a mod in Enscript that performed such a function, you totally could

• Like 3

Hello everyone.

First of all im new in this forum but i own Dayz SA for year or so. It has changed allot by that time and im so happy to see development of this game, and would like to wish good luck to Brian Hicks and all development team.

Also i have few questions to them offcourse if Brian could answer them.

1. Is there some plans for craftable bombs.

2. Motorcycles with sidecars like Dniepr Ural Izh (Im pretty sure, by now there will be Jawa :) )  

3. Is there any plans for tanks or we shouldnt expect that in this game

4. Can we expect missions like start power plant that city could have electricity in streets.

5. Will there be any sewerage in cities or anywere else.

Sorry for language.  

1) Yes.

2) No plans at this time.

3) No.

4) We don't define the tasks or goals that players should be aiming for within DayZ. That said, if the generator/electricity functionality covers plugging in to things like City Street Lights, you could always take it upon yourself to do so.

5) We're not talking about that at the moment.

• Like 3

For Mr. Hicks, if his is so inclined:

1) So sometimes, albeit rarely, I find myself behind an unaware player that is simply laying there and trying to snipe people for no real reason. I think to myself, how great would it be if I could go up behind this guy, pull this combat knife out of my boots, and slit this guy's throat without making much of a sound just in case he has friends around? When I think of this, I'm imagining an animation sequence wherein there could even be a skill based struggle of some kind. Seems pretty gritty, survival-y to me and like it would be right up DayZ's metaphorical aisle. What say you?

2) SInce it's not possible for us to have access to Enscript just yet, what would you recommend a prospective modder do to prepare in the mean time as far as scripting is concerned? Since, as you previously mentioned, Enscript is closer to C++ than to Real Virtuality's SQF, would it be most advisable to brush up on C++ while we wait?

Also, I think most programmers can mod for DayZ Standalone as long as you know the API and the basics of programming.

Maybe I'll make a mod as well, who knows. :) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to PM me. :P

• Like 2

We'd definitely like to - I think we'll have to circle back around once the proper design and configuration is done and see how it looks.

Thanks,

Once you go WSG there's no going back and was super happy the game fully supported to start with just not sure how aware you are that people are using it.

My up close eyesight is failing and have large screens with my computer set up to display print very big and such which seems to cause problems with the display of lots of interfaces across the board software wise.

• Like 1

Ah ha! Just like PZ. (I love that game and those devs - if you have not checked it out, search for Project Zomboid on Steam). Sadly, I'm not sure that kind of depth is going to be something thats reachable within the scope of 1.0.

That said - Im certain if you wanted to author a mod in Enscript that performed such a function, you totally could

that said how's your stance on providing (some basic) tools for the community later on?

edit: i think the enfusion docu response answers my question to a larger extent

Edited by joe_mcentire

Wo, i love this Q/A, thank you sir Hicks. Great opportunity for me!

1) Will the damage inflicted by the

infected be increased? Currently, they're so weak :'( (60 shots to die)

2) Will the zombies resist to bullets like our character? Why are they less resistant than our character?

3) Which level of threat will represent the zombies into 1.0?

Many people think that you don't want infected really dangerous/aggressive.

(Apologize for mistakes, i don't speak english very well).

1) Infected Damage values is something that will be tweaked off an on throughout development. Of course, a proper balancing pass will most certainly be done prior to leaving Early Access.

2) Well, at a certain point the reality that this is a video game has to come into play. You rarely will have a crowd of angry screaming players chasing after you - but ideally you would with infected. They need to be -somewhat- manageable. That said, see the above answer.

3) On what scale? o_O 

I have been very clear about this - and I'm not a huge fan of repeating myself on it, but for the sake of clarity:

It does not matter how amazing or complex your Artifical Intelligence is. It will -NEVER- be as dangerous or unpredictable as being at the mercy of another -HUMAN-.

• Like 8

It does not matter how amazing or complex your Artifical Intelligence is. It will -NEVER- be as dangerous or unpredictable as being at the mercy of another -HUMAN-.

BUT... they can -at least at night- create that bit of fright and potentiall send shivers down your spine :D. the thrill and tension overall -i agree- comes from the human (non-)interaction :)

Edited by joe_mcentire

Greetings Brian,i have a question for you.

Can you elaborate more about the "soft sklls" mechanic?

Will they be determinal to survival and affect gameplay,serving as a requirment to perform certain actions (basebuilding,car repairs,leatherworking etc)?

Or as a minor boost on an action's speed and recource gain?

Unfortunately, at this time I don't want to elaborate on soft skills more than I already did at RTX.

Hey Brian. I Hope I am not to late for my questions. It would be great if you can answere some of my questions. :) Thank you.

1. Will there be any Base Building content before BETA Starts?

2. The first Trello information was about Procedural Color Changing with weapons and as a example we saw the AKS74u. Is this still in developement or did your team made a break at this coll stuff?

3. Long time ago you said, that there are coming more variants of Dynamic Event vehicles in. Also de V3S Cargo. Are these variations still planned?

4. Are more underground structures planned?

5. Can we expect more changes on the coast like small islands?

6. How is work going on with the NEW especially the Server browser. I have a lot of friends, that have loads of lags with it.

7. Will there be visual changes to the small lakes? Because the water there looks not very beautiful. :(

• Like 1

-snip- Sadly, I'm not sure that kind of depth is going to be something thats reachable within the scope of 1.0.

Ah, oh well, too bad.... it would really spice up the stealth aspect, and maneuvering tactics vs infected and players.

Hopefully someone with the skill and desire will pick up on this at some point.

THANK YOU, Byron Hix!

For taking the time to answer our jabbering and frothing inquiries!

I'm looking forward to dying in 0.59!

• Like 2

I remain curious about the rather elaborate rail system that weaves throughout the world- I'd be amazed if it existed for only cosmetic purposes. Is this ever planned as a means of conveyance with those two person pump action cars or otherwise? I saw it mentioned awhile ago just at the community level but haven't heard anything about it since. I've always thought a "ghost train" (dead operator) that went around the rails along a set route would be a neat little concept but the challenge of explaining how it is fuelled without an ability to operate it continues to befuddle me. Jumping a train like a hobo and having to either fight for space or share it seems an intriguing concept. May not be on the radar but I am curious if there is any initiative to make rail transport at any level a possibility.

I like the informal take on the update as well. I'm a fan of a more conversational transaction- makes them easier to write and often makes them a little more considerate of the audience. Deliver it like we're sitting in a pub having a beer- not like you're standing in front of a bunch of big wigs trying to impress us with a main course of bottom line lingo and tech jargon.

Thanks to hicks (and the other devas-- that was an autocorrect that I found too funny to remove) for coming in and staying connected with the community. I don't always agree with the path chosen but I do appreciate the way it is communicated. I've liked listening to the interviews and reading the updates.

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 2

Q : "Hardcore servers", still in the pipeline or abandoned?

Still in the pipe, just not super high priority right now.

Care to elaborate on what "hardcore" might mean in the future? In the past, it simply locked you into 1PP.

Personally, I would like to see "hardcore" include harsher environmental conditions and scarcer resources -- will this be an option for server owners at some point? If so, would they be able to configure server conditions by individual variables, or would it be an all-or-nothing flip of the switch to "hardcore" mode?

• Like 3

Brian, since you've joined the project a bit later -- do you think the alpha was launched prematurely? Given your current issues with the RV engine, do you think netcode and engine requirements should have been considered more carefully before going into early access, so as to prevent having to re-do a lot of work (such as code related to animation) you've already put into the game?

Or do you think that the only way to make SA truly shine was to go ahead with releasing this really early alpha? Apart from securing funds via sales, what do you consider are the other advantages of this bold approach?

Also, I'm interested in how useful gameplay metrics are in this alpha stage. Given that gameplay will obviously change with introduction of new weapons, fatigue mechanics, vehicles and most importantly, things like the new animation system and polished netcode which will allow less clunky gameplay -- are you guys taking into account what occurs now gameplay-wise? Is it even a good idea to spend effort balancing a very incomplete game?

And another question if you don't mind -- are you guys at all worried about the community splintering into too many exclusive parts? There are various ARMA 2/3 survival mods, all segragated between public/private and 1pp/3pp. SA right now is already similarly divided and with modding on the horizon, the playerbase will divide even further. Are you at all worried that the total playerbase will be spread too thin? I ask because while the 3pp players have a lot of places they can enjoy themselves, those who prefer 1pp exclusive gameplay have traditionally had (and still have) issue with finding populated servers. Are you worried that the same might happen with SA when the modding community "takes over", so to say?

1) Infected Damage values is something that will be tweaked off an on throughout development. Of course, a proper balancing pass will most certainly be done prior to leaving Early Access.

2) Well, at a certain point the reality that this is a video game has to come into play. You rarely will have a crowd of angry screaming players chasing after you - but ideally you would with infected. They need to be -somewhat- manageable. That said, see the above answer.

3) On what scale? o_O 

I have been very clear about this - and I'm not a huge fan of repeating myself on it, but for the sake of clarity:

What scale? 1 to 10. 1 nothing difficult and 10 totally hardcore.

Humans remain greatest danger, i'm totally agree with that. But i would like to be kill by zombies sometimes. If i run in a street, i want die. If I fight against 5 zombies with an axe, i want die. If i shoot without silencer in a city, i want die. Don't you agree??

Zombies very dangerous mean more cooperation between players and more bandit strategies.

• Like 1