SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

So what is the official reason for road signs and some billboards being written in Cyrillic? 

As in the history of Chernarus, it is a post-soviet country - the occupying Soviet forces pushed their cyrillic language, where as you can see Chernarusian still all over the place (which is actually Czech). Its no secret that Chernarus was inspired by a portion of Czechoslovakia, who themselves had to deal with the Soviet Union (albeit not as blatant an occupation). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Pact_invasion_of_Czechoslovakia

• Like 2

Q. You mention advanced crafting needing the new UI, I play at 3840X768px and hated it the bit I tried it because it involved lots of scrolling up and down to see, and move items. Are you going to make it scaleable to accommodate other screen ratios and pixel heights?  

• Like 1

We've already seen a working rat model a long long time ago.

You could drag bodies in the mod and it has been said that this is something planned for the standalone too (if I remember correctly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hicks_206

Q: Can you verify any plans for improving windows?

Q: Will we see more new infected models in 0.59?

1) Can you elaborate on what you mean by improving windows?

2) I don't believe so, no. Not for 0.59 at least.

I really don't think crash sites are -that- predictable. There are 3 crashes active at any given time, and over 100 possible locations. (of which will increase)

First thank you very much for doing this on saturday evening! 

That sounds great, could you give us some more infomations ? Are you plan to increase just the possible spawnpoints or the number of spawning crashsites as well? And do you expand the locations on the east side ?

1) Barricading is still very much something we want to do, right now the team is just focused on other deliverables.

2) You haven't heard much on the advanced crafting / customization lately because it is dependent on the new UI. Once that is fully in and playable we can start rolling out things that require it. :)

3) I'd like to save this question for a fully fleshed out proper answer in a Status Report. Needless to say, it will get at least a little bit more complicated. How far that will go will be covered in a future SR.

Thanks for the answers Hicks, I look forward to the status report!

countries like serbia have actually both. and that was at least occupied and such. so also for chernarus that could make some sense.

Ah I didn't realise it had a real world precedent, so Cyrillic could be the formal or traditional script or even regional based on ethnic groups.

1) Can you elaborate on what you mean by improving windows?

2) I don't believe so, no. Not for 0.59 at least.

Yes, sir.

Myself as well as others would like to see windows capable of, opening, closing, locking, entering/exiting through, and breaking.

I even seem to remember people(devs/rocket?) talking about breaking windows with a blanket over them, like zoimboid, to reduce sound and chance for cuts....

• Like 1

Questions-

Will the zombies be more concentrated and in more numbers on the coast and cities?

Plans on giving players more incentive to explore?

The weapons spawning with attachments...does this include mags with ammo in them or next to them?

Will supressors be more harder to find? (As they are too common in 0.58)

Will the gun sounds have a "echo" kinda sound to them when in a "long barn" for example, like in the video?

I really like the hold down mouse key to eat and let go to stop, will this apply to chambering a round with the CR527 for example (let go of key to chamber)?

Will the military barracks (Vybor military ones for example) be tweaked for 0.59?

Will the new damage system be in the first experimental iteration? What other new tech will be in the first iteration?

In the future, will we see bullet holes with blood on bodys where our shots impacted?

1) Should be, given their current spawning quantities and regions. However, the intent is for that to change - will be speaking more on that next SR.

2) Aside from tracking down vehicles, establishing camps, hunting player camps, acquiring high risk/high reward gear, not off the top of my head.

3) Suppressors are very rare as it is - the issue is with known duplication methods being exploited.

4) We'll see - I'm hoping that functionality will be supported when we get the new audio module.

5) I'm going to sideline this question, as we're currently working on both new mechanics for loading/chamber/reloading - AND the move for actions to Enscript. 

6) VMC (as the players call it) - No we have no plans for adjusting per building maximums right now. That said, as I've mentioned before - I'm definitely interested in trying weapons being more common, and ammunition being the rare commodity.

7) Likely no - the answer to the rest really depends on what issues are still present in the build when it hits experimental.

8) This would be pretty cool, and blood shouldn't be too much of an issue - but we'll have to see if this falls within the scope of 1.0, or comes as a title update/patch post 1.0.

• Like 3

First thank you very much for doing this on saturday evening! 

That sounds great, could you give us some more infomations ? Are you plan to increase just the possible spawnpoints or the number of spawning crashsites as well? And do you expand the locations on the east side ?

The quantity of crash sites can be tweaked dynamically through the Central Economy - their locations require an actual script/data update. I plan on increasing the potential spawn points. Some in the East, more than likely yes.

• Like 2

1) Should be, given their current spawning quantities and regions. However, the intent is for that to change - will be speaking more on that next SR.

2) Aside from tracking down vehicles, establishing camps, hunting player camps, acquiring high risk/high reward gear, not off the top of my head.

3) Suppressors are very rare as it is - the issue is with known duplication methods being exploited.

4) We'll see - I'm hoping that functionality will be supported when we get the new audio module.

5) I'm going to sideline this question, as we're currently working on both new mechanics for loading/chamber/reloading - AND the move for actions to Enscript. 

6) VMC (as the players call it) - No we have no plans for adjusting per building maximums right now. That said, as I've mentioned before - I'm definitely interested in trying weapons being more common, and ammunition being the rare commodity.

7) Likely no - the answer to the rest really depends on what issues are still present in the build when it hits experimental.

8) This would be pretty cool, and blood shouldn't be too much of an issue - but we'll have to see if this falls within the scope of 1.0, or comes as a title update/patch post 1.0.

Thank you very much Brian :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

First of all im new in this forum but i own Dayz SA for year or so. It has changed allot by that time and im so happy to see development of this game, and would like to wish good luck to Brian Hicks and all development team.

Also i have few questions to them offcourse if Brian could answer them.

1. Is there some plans for craftable bombs.

2. Motorcycles with sidecars like Dniepr Ural Izh (Im pretty sure, by now there will be Jawa :) )  

3. Is there any plans for tanks or we shouldnt expect that in this game

4. Can we expect missions like start power plant that city could have electricity in streets.

5. Will there be any sewerage in cities or anywere else.

Sorry for language.  

Question : "Will we be able to loot the sunken ships in the harbor?" in the future? Scuba gear and such? 

Since this pic of [Cherno](http://i.imgur.com/MvE3Vwk.jpg) has two sunken cargo ships in the harbor, I'm kinda hoping that we might get introduced with diving mechanics kinda like what ArmA 3 has atm.

Would be really cool to dive underwater and loot / salvage of what is hidden in those cargo ships.

Not to mention, it opens the door to many other possibilities. 

* Discovering underwater crashes 

- Military crashes - http://i.imgur.com/CKTXRYv.jpg

* A stealthy way to approach prison island / skalisty island. 

* A different way to flank heavily armed players on the beach, etcetc

MvE3Vwk.jpg

1) I suppose we could add memory points to the model for the sunken ships and spawn some appropriate items on it, sure. I don't see why not.(As long as the reason, and execution is rewarding and not just because it looks cool)

2) Sadly - no. Hell, I used to think that would be amazing myself, I remember seeing it at E3 20..12? Maybe - and thinking it was amazing. However everything I've heard from the Arma team is that it was a total pain in the ass to pull off, and caused more problems than gains.

• Like 3

Wo, i love this Q/A, thank you sir Hicks. Great opportunity for me!

1) Will the damage inflicted by the

infected be increased? Currently, they're so weak :'( (60 shots to die)

2) Will the zombies resist to bullets like our character? Why are they less resistant than our character?

3) Which level of threat will represent the zombies into 1.0?

Many people think that you don't want infected really dangerous/aggressive.

(Apologize for mistakes, i don't speak english very well).

Greetings Brian,i have a question for you.

Can you elaborate more about the "soft sklls" mechanic?

Will they be determinal to survival and affect gameplay,serving as a requirment to perform certain actions (basebuilding,car repairs,leatherworking etc)?

Or as a minor boost on an action's speed and recource gain?

• Like 1

1) I suppose we could add memory points to the model for the sunken ships and spawn some appropriate items on it, sure. I don't see why not.(As long as the reason, and execution is rewarding and not just because it looks cool)

2) Sadly - no. Hell, I used to think that would be amazing myself, I remember seeing it at E3 20..12? Maybe - and thinking it was amazing. However everything I've heard from the Arma team is that it was a total pain in the ass to pull off, and caused more problems than gains.

Thanks for the reply, it's a question I've wanted to ask ever since DayZ SA went early access. 

• Like 1

1) That is the intent, making sure the engine supports it will be critical. However, the new sound module should allow us far more complex audio configuration options.

2) Well, they are related in that they both use the same physics system yeah. As far as utilizing destroyed parts that fall off, I don't really view that as critical. Its a level of depth that we just shouldn't be chasing down at this point (in my opinion) - after all these are *destroyed* and unusable. Like a pair of ruined shoes, its trash - and we have so much to keep track of already. :)

3) Nothing planned at this time, aside from the obvious things like not applying a bandage if you don't complete the animation I suppose.

4) I'm personally looking forward to the increase of players per server instance.

Lastly - I think you mean P3D to FBX? If so, yes.

1) Awesome! Really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed the new player controller adds to it as well and stealth becomes more flushed out (still remember rolling sideways/vaulting in the mod to move silently).

2) Guess I was wondering if it was going to be tracked individually and/or have any need for interaction? Ruined/trash works for me, good server performance and everybody wins!

3) Ok, might be cool to have some sorta cost to a failed animation (for key items/uses) Ex: Lockpicks (breaks/damages item or makes more noise) or repairing tires (putting it on too loose causing the tire to fall off after a short period of time).

4) Increased player cap, I like that. Makes me think that'll lead to less 1PP servers diluting the (already slim) pop. Thus force players to a populated server rather than spread out amongst several (even if linked to 1 hive). Time will tell. 

Thanks for putting in the time to reply. Looking forward to 0.59 and beyond!

Here's a DayZ/MGSV poster I put together for a wallpaper - full image here: https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156341-lets-post-some-screen-shots-standalone/page-105

Figured it would help say good job/thanks

Bk1HYr0.png

• Like 3

Can we expect empty cans one day? Im patiently waiting for Can + Wp tablet + lake combo, maybe carve some pretty pictures to my makeshift cup, a guy can dream right?

Hi Hicks, thanks for doing this.

I think that the game feels clunky sometimes in 1st person because when you are moving forward your body leans forward and because of the "camera" being on the head your viewpoint is ahead of the body, and when you stop moving the head comes back macking foward and backbard movements (more obvious while crouched). This makes the player feel a bit sick, specially when crouched and tapping W to find the perfect spot for shooting for example.

Any thoughts about reworking that animation to make it smoother or even instead of the head moving back having the body moving forward while stopping? I think this is a small issue that will improve a lot the gameplay, specially 1st person mode (best mode without a doubt!)

Edited by Raikem

Thank you so far Mr. Hicks. Really good Q&A :)  :beans: 

- Will more animals (or animal hordes) spawning in 0.59?

- Will we get an option to disable the HUD and crosshair in the future (clientside)?

- Can we expect that nights will be improved with the new renderer?

- You said some time ago, that you would implement stamina when more vehicles are in. Is it possible for 0.60 (or maybe 0.59)?

- There are so many soccer fields in Chernarus+, will we get a ball to play?

- Do you have some wishes to the community? How could we help more or give better feedback?

Thx :)

Edited by xCAPx

Hey Hicks

I have just a few questions, about the same subject of the future plans for persistance of dead bodies This is because some of my best memories from the DayZ Mod was finding dead survivors in the strangest of places and wondering what their stories were, how they died etc. I've tried to keep the questions as specific as possible to make them easier for you to answer, and to make it harder for you to dodge them <3 (Don't take that as a challenge!)

1. The suggestion has been mentioned several times, do you have any plans to have things like birds circling dead bodies, so that they can be seen from afar? (This would be cool especially since a question mentioned body bags... Maybe you'd have pack up bodies to avoid giving away their location?)

2. Will the fly sound or something equivalent ever return? It used to be bone-chilling to suddenly hear flies in the mod, because you knew something bad had happened there... Recently.

3. Any plans on increasing the time a survivor's corpse stays around for? It seems fairly short at the moment. (I know performance is an issue, but it's really a shame!)

4. Now that you've announced growing beards and other player characteristics changing over time, how about decomposition of dead players? I realise this is probably not high on the endless list of things you guys want to do, but I like this idea so much. I love the tracking aspect, and this would make it possible to get an idea of when the player you just found actually died and increase immersion.

4.5 what about players returning as zombies? (I know this has been asked before, but I honestly can't remember what your opinion on it was).

Thanks for your continued hard work on the game. Looking forward to the next update :)

• Like 1

currently we see many new guns added to the game, showcased on trello etc. but what about makeshift weapons? i get the idea that all these guns can be made basically super-rare by use of the central economy mechanic but i always figured in a world like post-apocalyptic cherno makeshift-everything would always be the standard way-of-life. are there already concepts for some tools/weapons other than the bow?

also, when can we expect crimean/chernarussian sparkling wine to hit alpha?

also again my former questions:

implying that there was a club (e.g. Spartak/Metallurg/Dinamo Chernogorsk) that used to have called these grounds their home (see post regarding the sports venue in cherno). therefore we would find all sorts of memorabilia as loot around cherno: kits, balls, scarfs, fanfares/horns 

:D reaching for the stars here obviously

question in that regard: is such loot likely in any form or way?

brian thanks so far! you were talking about i guess 3 skills your team is working on so far. any sneak peeks here  :P? what did you consider when you were laying the grounds for skills/skilltrees? will skills be more like perks: you gain an ability you didn't have before or more tuning of numbers, or a proper mix of both?

Edited by joe_mcentire

4) Increased player cap, I like that. Makes me think that'll lead to less 1PP servers diluting the (already slim) pop. Thus force players to a populated server rather than spread out amongst several (even if linked to 1 hive). Time will tell.

To complete & add this question with mine : Do you intend to reduce BIS official servers number (as long as low level playerbase allow it) ?

• Like 1

1) Are  there any changes in 0.59 for the tripwire?

2) Are you planing to add the fridges in many houses around the map?  

3) Are there any plans for adding cabinets and so on a inventory?

4) Do you know the final number of weapons for 1.0? 

5) Is the visual bug with fences (not transparent sometimes) fixed in 0.59?

6) You announced some weeks ago that we can configure the vehicles a little bit more individual (different color of hoods or doors), whats the current status? Something to expect for 0.59?

7) What do you think about cutting fences with the existing pliers?

Edited by GDZ_saiboT

A few things that came to my mind lately:

1. Have you ever considered a version of DayZ with Vulcan API, or do you think the effort it would take isn't worth the ability to run the game on non-Windows systems, and stick with DirectX?

2. When you first revealed the new advanced base building, i thought back to my old days in Arma2 Wasteland and tried to figure where i would build my base. I remembered the problems i had with the sloping ground all over Chernarus. It was hard to find a good place with enough flat space to build a base without having to fight to much with clipping errors, transparent textures and such things. So i started wondering how this would be dealt with in DayZ. Will the building system be able to cope with uneven ground, and still produce pretty bases, or will the terrain be altered to a more basebuilder-friendly bersion, with flat spots that are not only on hilltops or in valleys?

3. Speaking of bases:

Since bases will not be impenetrable, wich i realy appreciate, the best way to keep your base safe is to keep it hidden. Therefore the best places will be somewhere in the forrests. But the worst thing about building in a forrest, it that the trees block your buildings, or cause clipping, so a way to remove them would help. Is the engine capable of a persistent world (damaged town buildings/ fences, cut down vegetation etc.), is something like that planned (for post 1.0), or would it be to much effort?

4.Chris Torchia mentioned afair in his talk Surviving Success at DevGAMM 2015, that some documentation about content creation for DayZ was being created. Are you planning of releasing it some day in order to support the modding community?

Edit:

5. Apart from outside colours, are there plans on more varietys for buildings, especially interior variations? I'd personally make buildings.empty shells and create a set of interiors for each room, and mix it up.

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 1

Almost at beta and Devs are absolutely avoiding answering the big question EVERY player have been hyped for.

I think its about time for BI to change engines as the current limitations seem to be holding back DayZ in a very big way.  Bananas in holsters.