Sign in to follow this  
saamohod

Should I stay away from huge monitors?

I'm currently running DayZ with GeForce 970, 16 Gb RAM, CPU i7 4770. Gives me awesome FPS anywhere except cities. I do realize the game is not properly optimized and probably no matter how high configuration one would use, it wouldn't provide robust FPS in cities.
 What worries me is the following thing. I'm planning to get a new monitor 34" (instead of my current 24"). How bad will the increased resolution affect my performance? I mean, currently I'm enjoying a decent performance at 1920x1200. Would I have to drastically decrease the graphical settings at my new 3440x1440?

I've always found this very personal, do what you feel son. its you that has to look at it

currently I'm enjoying a decent performance at 1920x1200. Would I have to drastically decrease the graphical settings at my new 3440x1440?

YES^

and drastically is a relative term

Edited by B@ker

I'm currently running DayZ with GeForce 970, 16 Gb RAM, CPU i7 4770. Gives me awesome FPS anywhere except cities. I do realize the game is not properly optimized and probably no matter how high configuration one would use, it wouldn't provide robust FPS in cities.

What worries me is the following thing. I'm planning to get a new monitor 34" (instead of my current 24"). How bad will the increased resolution affect my performance? I mean, currently I'm enjoying a decent performance at 1920x1200. Would I have to drastically decrease the graphical settings at my new 3440x1440?

Moved to tech/prog.  

Hello there

Using a larger size monitor at a lower resolution has never been an issue for me as I find one quickly adapts.

Also, having a larger monitor at least means that part of you set up is a little more future proof.

I often use my 26' monitor at scales way lower than 1080, but because Im used to them I dont personally see an issue.

Its when you start to whack em up and compare them is where the green eyed monster of jealousy sets in.

Rgds

LoK

You might actually be able to test the effect on your system by setting the rendering resolution to 200% in the Video settings. Should take around the same performance, as it does to render full 4k.

That sounds like an interesting idea, I'll try that.

According to my calculator it's only 150% of your current pixels which should equate to roughly 75% of your current FPS in simplest terms. The extra width in the ratio should be worth it though, I play on a 3 screen and have caught numerous people trying to flank me on my peripherals. In this game specifically you'll have a wider FOV using the PU, Kashtan, etc because they don't black out around the scope and you can see outside the scope zoomed in as well.      

According to my calculator it's only 150% of your current pixels which should equate to roughly 75% of your current FPS in simplest terms. The extra width in the ratio should be worth it though, I play on a 3 screen and have caught numerous people trying to flank me on my peripherals. In this game specifically you'll have a wider FOV using the PU, Kashtan, etc because they don't black out around the scope and you can see outside the scope zoomed in as well.      

I disagree. My current resolution is 1920x1200, which makes 2.3 million pixels. My new monitor is gonna have 3440x1440, which is 4.95 million pixels. The difference is more than 100%.

I disagree. My current resolution is 1920x1200, which makes 2.3 million pixels. My new monitor is gonna have 3440x1440, which is 4.95 million pixels. The difference is more than 100%.

Fair enough, not sure what I miskeyed but touche.

I'll remember to double check my math again for a long time now, thanks.

Still stand by what I said over periphery having some weight over quality.

Did you get it?

Was the hit to your frame rate linear?

Was the hit to your frame rate linear?

Well, I'm currently testing my new screen with DayZ. Funny thing is that frame rate hit does not appear to be linear. I seem to have lost little FPS. The thing is that FPS in dense cities like Berezino or Electro is very little affected by graphic settings. It's just low, no matter what you try to tweak with graphics. It just hovers around 25 FPS, in some situations even goes as low as 19-20.

Personally I find a higher refresh rate to be much more valuable than a higher resolution. I'd rather play in 800x600 at 144Hz than 4K at 60Hz...

Just my $0.02 though, go with what you feel is more important to you.

Nvidia GTX970? You can use DSR to render the game at 1440p and then down sample to your current monitor. It'll give you an idea of what driving an actual 1440p panel will be like.

The game isn't too demanding on GPUs at the moment, so I doubt that your 970 will have any issues. I use DSR on my GTX780 and I find that I don't need so much AA at the higher resolution, so it all kinda evens out.

Alternative: as a first test - try plugging in a second monitor (borrow one?) running 2 monitors at  2.3 million pixels gives you 4.6 mil that your graphics card has to deal with.

Then you can put it through any of the free or free-tryout benchmark and stress tests you can find around the web. This could give you some useful info?

The actual relationship between a particular game, the PC's CPU and memory, and the bus, and between the GPU and the rest of the graphics card, and between the card and the physical screen pixels - is 'fairly complicated'. You unfortunately can't say as a working rule :  'double the pixels = half the framerate'  -  you might find the result is better than you expect.

IMO

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I'm rather illiterate in the screen/resolution department, but i was of the (possibly misguided) opinion that you aim for better Hz refresh rate and go from there?

I would only prioritize refresh rate if you play a lot of, say, competitive FPS games, like CS:GO. In those types of games, higher refresh rate is definitely helpful.