CG_Goats

DayZ, Arma3 and Macbook Pro

First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong forum section, and I also apologise if this is one of those questions that is asked repeatedly. I had a look and couldn't find any info, so here goes:

Got a new MacBook Pro. Understand it's not exactly a gaming PC but I've got it now and was desperately hoping to play DayZ. I understand I can get Arma3 from steam, but will the dayZ mod actually work? Does anyone have any advice or is anyone in the same scenario that can show me what they did to fix it?

Thanks!

• Like 1

DayZ Mod is for Arma II OA, not Arma III :) And neither of them is native linux software.

You will have to try out wine or run bootcamp with windows to run these games on mac atm. Its not officially supported in any way and can be a real headache to get to work.

In fact, im not sure anyone has actually gotten Arma II, Arma III and DayZ to run "well" on a mac yet.

Theres next to no info on this forum about running DayZ in a linux envoirement, because its still in development and changes all the time, but on Bohemia Interactive Forums, im sure you can find many threads about Arma II/III and linux :) I know they have server setups for linux (Arma III linux server is in open testing atm) so chances are someone else is running Arma on a Macbook.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 2

At home I play DayZ on my tower, PC, but when I'm on the road for work I use a Boot camp partition of Win7 to run both Standalone and the Arma II mod. My Macbook Pro is an older Unibody from 2011 with a Nvidia 650M GFX card and honestly it runs well enough for me so I imagine the newer Retina's handle it event better.

Since when is Mac running Linux?

Either way. You can always check the Steam Page for supported OS's. It'll tell you there what to use.

To be able to play on other OS's than Windows you will have to stick to something like bootcamp, which will work or not.

• Like 1

Buy A PC xD

Sweet, thanks for that, didn't expect a post like that at all! 

So I know my Mac will definitely run this, is the only option to use Bootcamp?

• Like 1

Sweet, thanks for that, didn't expect a post like that at all! 

So I know my Mac will definitely run this, is the only option to use Bootcamp?

You can attempt to emulate the windows api's via wine for osx but you will take a huge performance hit if you even get it to work. Bootcamp is a godsend, as honestly windows will give you the most bang for your buck in any gaming scenario, its the only reason i dont use linux as a primary os. If you have no interest in using windows as a platform just setup your windows bookcamp partition to boot straight into steam big picture mode. Think of it like "booting into game mode". 

Macs are wonderful, anyone who hates on a mac owner is no fan of technology. I love it in all its forms, linux, windows, beos, macos, freebsd. GOOD TIMES!

anyways hope this helps....

Here is an article to help 

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigpicture/discussions/1/864958451556578063/

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

DayZ Mod is for Arma II OA, not Arma III :) And neither of them is native linux software.

You will have to try out wine or run bootcamp with windows to run these games on mac atm. Its not officially supported in any way and can be a real headache to get to work.

In fact, im not sure anyone has actually gotten Arma II, Arma III and DayZ to run "well" on a mac yet.

Theres next to no info on this forum about running DayZ in a linux envoirement, because its still in development and changes all the time, but on Bohemia Interactive Forums, im sure you can find many threads about Arma II/III and linux :) I know they have server setups for linux (Arma III linux server is in open testing atm) so chances are someone else is running Arma on a Macbook.

Arma 3 does have a native linux client. Ive played it. 

• Like 1

You can attempt to emulate the windows api's via wine for osx but you will take a huge performance hit if you even get it to work. Bootcamp is a godsend, as honestly windows will give you the most bang for your buck in any gaming scenario, its the only reason i dont use linux as a primary os. If you have no interest in using windows as a platform just setup your windows bookcamp partition to boot straight into steam big picture mode. Think of it like "booting into game mode". 

Macs are wonderful, anyone who hates on a mac owner is no fan of technology. I love it in all its forms, linux, windows, beos, macos, freebsd. GOOD TIMES!

anyways hope this helps....

Here is an article to help 

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigpicture/discussions/1/864958451556578063/

You're a lifesaver. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Since when is Mac running Linux?

Ok not native linux, but they are like dirty cousins who almost use the same drugs tbh. :)

You are facing many of the same issues when you try to get windows apps running on Linux and Mac.

Arma 3 does have a native linux client. Ive played it. 

Yes, forgot to mention the client is also in beta stage on Linux and severely limited compared to the windows version, so you are right :)

But you wont get the true Arma experience on Mac atm, without issues. For example, theres no BE support for the linux client yet and it only supports v. 1.42, so you have very few servers to play on, since the game has been updates to 1.52 by now.

You can find the Linux/Mac requrements here: http://dev.arma3.com/ports

Quote from BI on Arma III on Linux and Mac.

We have outsourced the development of (experimental) client ports of Arma 3 to Linux and Mac. These are available (beta) as a complementary service to anyone who owns Arma 3 for Windows. It is not guaranteed these ports will ever graduate from their experimental betas. We will be evaluating the popularity of the betas and any issues they may reveal.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1