☣BioHaze☣

How did you discover DayZ?

Back in late June of 2012 my younger brother (who follows current game news closer than I) recommended I try DayZ mod based on my love of the Resident Evil series (hence my name based on the Japanese title for the series).

My search found an old and dead mod thread similar to this but none for the standalone section.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/28615-how-did-you-discover-day-z/

How did you discover DayZ?

• Like 7

The year is 2012, Baker has just wrapped Zombi U. Baker looks for another zombie game as Baker loves zombies. Baker see's warz on steam, Baker googles youtube reviews of warz. You tube says that warz is a horrible ripoff of DayZ, so Baker downloads DayZ (just the mod) from steam, Baker tries to launch DayZ, it wont launch (no arma of course). Baker gives up, Baker wraps fallout 3 again, Baker comes back to DayZ after meeting some dudes that play it. Baker then becomes all consumed with dayz, logs 1000's of hours playing it 14-16 hours a day. Baker gets divorced. Baker waits for the standalone, Baker buys it on launch day, Baker dies a little inside, Baker comes back to play every patch and dies a little more everytime. The End

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 5

I was playing weekly with an Arma Mil Sim group, enjoying that aspect of the game for sometime.  I had dabbled in mods for realism etc when dayz reared its head out.  I played my first 6 hours straight on a server at night and was instantly hooked. 

• Like 4

Been through random videos on youtube, found it on a random one. Decided to buy it though due to FRANKIEonPC's videos - it was by the time Episode 28 came out.

Yep, I'm a frankie fanboy.

• Like 2

I first heard about DayZ on a popular torrent site forums, I did some research and found myself buying Arma 2 and OA and installing it, it was just a zipped up bunch of mod files that had to be manually extracted into the OA file structure then launched with some funky command line parameters. From what I remember vaguely anyway. 

I shall never forget my first few times playing DayZ.. and I very much miss the initial lost, lonely and scared outta ya pants DayZ feelings I got back then, it was something truly unique and I'm grateful I have experienced it but honeslty those days are gone for me.. now its like spawn, loot, die, respawn, loot, die.. rinse repeat, it becomes more like a chore than an experience so that's usually when I take a break and try it again 3 months down the line.

I'd give my right bollock to go back in time and get that mod and them same feelings and experiences back.. 

• Like 2

My friend posted some screen shots in our FB group. At the time I was hooked on STALKER series and endless mods for it. He mentioned dayz has diseases, temperature effects and some cool weapons. But coop side of the game interested me the most, because I mostly played single player games. I wated for first sale on Steam and bought Arma CO for 10€. Best thing I ever bought! I never played any other game than Dayz or Arma 2/3 after that. I think I have more than 3000 hours combined. I played 20 different maps, 25 or more mods. I have more dayz friends than real life friends ;-)

Edited by igor-vk
  • Like 1

Been through random videos on youtube, found it on a random one. Decided to buy it though due to FRANKIEonPC's videos - it was by the time Episode 28 came out.

Yep, I'm a frankie fanboy.

Yup, same. I think I discovered DayZ through Frankie's videos, then ended up buying the standalone a month or two after it was released. Well. 'released'.

• Like 2

I've been placed on moderator queue, so this probably won't make it through. (Rhymin' like a boss!)

I saw it on Steam.

• Like 1

I think this was the first video I saw of the game posted on another forum, didn't really have any idea what it was about and thought I would hate it when I read it was a mod for a mil sim but it was enough for me to give it a try :D

• Like 4

stumbled across it very randomly back in the very vanilla days (Sacriel cherno police videos) when L85 was still in the game. Played it and loved every bit of it even though I played with 10 fps in cities and 30 fps maximum in wilderness (lowest graphics of course)

I think this was the first video I saw of the game posted on another forum, didn't really have any idea what it was about and thought I would hate it when I read it was a mod for a mil sim but it was enough for me to give it a try :D

Man i just cant see the point of veiws like "ermaggerd cars will ruin dayz!" and other silliness, this is the most fun gaming i have ever had. 

A friend shared a link about it, since he knew I enjoyed anything post-apocalypse and zombie related. I tried it, and was immediately hooked. I then started watching videos about the game from Frankieonpc, and was very entertained by the content created using this mod.

I never stopped playing and following progress towards the stand alone. 

• Like 1

Well, i was playing APB:Reloaded and in my clan a women named Lisa said to his friend that they should go an play DayZ, i was like WTF is dayz that everyone is playing now?

i can't buy anything from steam because of the country i am in, so they suggested me to play Infestation. 

after some months, in my birthday i heard from her there is a standalone version upcoming and he will gift that game as my birthday present.  people are awesome man, awesome! 

• Like 1

"Hey bro, check out this game.  You spend a crapton of time gearing up and when you die, you lose everything!"

• Like 2

I was playing weekly with an Arma Mil Sim group, enjoying that aspect of the game for sometime.  I had dabbled in mods for realism etc when dayz reared its head out.  I played my first 6 hours straight on a server at night and was instantly hooked. 

Pretty much this. May 2012 after years of playing mil missions together Dave suggested we try this mod he had heard about , the next day locked and loaded we hit cherno in mil fashion and some how got lost along the way ( lost in the experience not in cherno...)

I used to play Operation Flashpoint, then eventually Arma I + II and make missions in the editor with a friend (mostly co-op missions where we would have to complete an objective).  I loved the way the games felt and played in co-op, but hated multiplayer on servers due to the lag/desync.  I may have just been horrible at finding good servers, but the few times I did play multiplayer in Operation Flashpoint, I remember that I LOVED the idea that I could hide wherever the heck I wanted.  Take that tractor up the hill and hide in a bush?  Yes.  Hide under a tank?  Yes.  Hide under that tractor?  Yes.  Operation Flashpoint had limited areas in the multiplayer to limit people going too far away and also had objectives similar to what batllefield is now.

I thought it was the best thing ever.  I then eventually saw some mod footage and downloaded it in 2012 or 2013 (my timeline is a bit fuzzy).  I could not understand the eating and drinking system and I did not give it time to learn how to play it.  When I did play, I would run up to tents and such only to be blown up or shot instantly.  Yes, I was the retard who was like "ooh whats that?" while the veteran player laughs and blows my head off.  I would try to roam around and loot but always always always died of starvation.  I also did not look up "how to" videos either, which may have allowed me to play more of the mod.

I gave it a break and came back once standalone came out.  I was hooked ever since.  I had tried infestation and hated it.  I tried H1Z1 recently as well and hated the feel of it.  DayZ reminds me of the fun I had in Operation Flashpoint.  I am also a Fallout fan and love to be able to roam around the world and make my own decisions.  Linear games make me cry.

Edited by schwaBAM
  • Like 1

I read an article in PC gamer about a zombie apocalypse mod for a game i'd never heard of (Arma 2 - shame on me).

Watched the YT vid from CHKilroy i think and i thought "I have to play this!"

Bought Arma 2 OA and went through the pain of installing the mod and finding a server.  Logged in and was immediately chased by zombies to the crane just outside Cherno...i was screaming the whole way, not knowing what the hell to do....i climbed up the crane thinking i was safe from the zombies below...to my horror the zombies started climbing up the ladder towards me!

I basically shat myself, panicked and plummeted to my death. I sat there shaking, looking at the You are Dead screen and realised i had just found my perfect game ever.

• Like 2

Found it through youtube while researching about the SKS. Watched a few vids and in suggested i saw a vid of the sks in dayz. Watched some dayz vids but it was "almost unplayable" so i hung off of purchase until .53 i believe. First time out i spawned up a hill outside a town and got chased by a female zombie at a bus depot and i was able to crawl between two pipeline pipes to catch my breath and plan my escape. Couldnt outrun her so i had to kill her with my fists. I bled out because i didnt know how to make a bandage but was hooked from then on!

A friend of mine messaged me about the DayZ mod on Skype, and I looked into it, but lost interest for a while. Then I heard there was a Standalone, so I looked it up, thought it looked interesting, and bought it.

I was playing Arma 2 daily. Arma 2 Project Reality and Domination I played the most. I can't remember if it was late april or early may 2012 when I tried the mod for the first time because there were couple popular servers showing in the server browser. Browsed the Armaholic for the mod and started to play. First life was short because I firstly thought that zombie is unharmful civilian :D In second life I spawned west of Cherno. I hear shooting in Cherno, so I headed there and I found out that most of the server population was there co-operating, sharing weapons and killing zombies to survive in there. Good old days. It was natural for people to play it as a coop at first.

• Like 3

Hello there

I first heard about the mod from the Bohemia forums where us old milsimmers looked upon this silly "zombiemod" with scorn.

I had played some older zombie Arma 2 mods which I actually found fun (against my expectations) and so had a peek in here.

I arrived with a  bit of a chip on my shoulder I must say and many pre judgements but soon found I really liked the mod and the forums.

I think I turned up about the same time as the official/unofficial Kronzky SP release and the fallout of that datewise.

Its been an hugely interesting experience for me, both as a mod and as a player.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I discovered dayz in the dumbest way. It was 2 years ago and I just got mine craft and got very addicted and there was this one "dayz" themed server I always played on it was really fun and I asked the admin about were he got the idea and he got it from a game called dayz so I looked it up and it popped up the standalone version and bought it at the last days of .46 good times. I still play it no matter how buggy and annoying it can be if I get mad at dayz I play csgo then about 2 hours later I get back on dayz if I get made at cs go I play dayz and just stick to that. I have my own squad I play a lotand I play with some forumers we've had some good times with all my friends (best one was probably when I got into that truck with one of my friends and hit a tree with my very bad driving skills and we flew up the air and landed in kamenka it started at lopatino and hit at kamenka good times). I love this game probably never gonna switch a game like this. Futere plans probably include me making a squad and playing .59 exp till I'm purple and see if we can hold up someone wellknown(last guy was goldglove but all we really did was hold up for a few seconds then shoot him).I'm hoping we find Brian hicks or the other devlpers so we can ask them to add something we want ingame.

I was looking the youtube vidéo of Bibix swatting (french Dayz Streamer), and i searched the game he was playing on ^^