shoobiestomper

Database Tutorial

Hey, guys! I was messing around in the database on my server (DayZ Server Control Center) and I realized that I don't know what most of it's for. I would like to learn more so that I can tweak it.

I played on a server that had base building, walking zombies, and a custom spawn selection. It was really cool and I would like to add some similar things.

Would any of you know of a good tutorial that explains what everything is for?

Also, how do I get the debug monitor to show up?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Edited by ShoobieStomper

I have a link for you right here.

Also, the database is really descriptive in its naming. If you don't know anything about MySQL it's not recommended trying to change anything. If you do, you'll be able to figure the DB out in no time.

I have a link for you right here.

Also, the database is really descriptive in its naming. If you don't know anything about MySQL it's not recommended trying to change anything. If you do, you'll be able to figure the DB out in no time.

Haha :-) I suppose I had that one coming. It's ironic because I was just thinking about that website. Anyway, thank you! I wasn't really wanting to learn how to write scripts, but maybe I was just overthinking it and thus I didn't search for a scripting tutorial. The internet is such a broad spectrum of knowledge. It can sometimes be hard to find the right thing without some guidance. :-)

EDIT: Thanks for moving my thread to the right place... sorry about that.

Edited by ShoobieStomper
  • Like 1

Most of the changes that you are talking about happen in the SQF files and not in the database. The database is like... a big save file. Scripts are developed and released in small little packages, typically with tutorials on how to install them. 

Installing a few can be fun, but installing a lot can be a pain as a server owner. There is nothing that guarantees that all these scripts play well together :)

Spawn selection and walking zombies would be script edits. Base building may have been a separate mod (Epoch perhaps), or it may have been vanilla. They both have base building, though Epoch's is more robust at this point. Epoch would be considered a completely different mod, it was developed from an older version of DayZ (I think). In that case you would need to find scripts that are Epoch specific.

Good luck!

Most of the changes that you are talking about happen in the SQF files and not in the database. The database is like... a big save file. Scripts are developed and released in small little packages, typically with tutorials on how to install them. 

Installing a few can be fun, but installing a lot can be a pain as a server owner. There is nothing that guarantees that all these scripts play well together :)

Spawn selection and walking zombies would be script edits. Base building may have been a separate mod (Epoch perhaps), or it may have been vanilla. They both have base building, though Epoch's is more robust at this point. Epoch would be considered a completely different mod, it was developed from an older version of DayZ (I think). In that case you would need to find scripts that are Epoch specific.

Good luck!

That's a good way to put it - the db is a save file.  On top of that, most of it only gets read during a restart (everything except the player info, which gets read on login).  So any changes you make, don't happen right away.  I suggest creating your own test server and messing around with it. I have one on an older PC.   For scripting there are guides out there, but visit opendayz.net and you'll find some pre-made stuff.   Unfortunately, arma2 is years-old and people aren't very actively modding it - they've moved on. You'll see more questions that answers, but plug away. That's what I've been doing for a while now.