Funkmaster Rick

Does Cooking Still Work?

So I went fishing lately. Had a pristine tripod and pot. Combat knife and hatchet, plus a large stone to keep them relatively sharp. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how much work it is to find a fishing hook these days, even if you can carve them from animal bone.

Caught two fish out of a pond, gutted a filleted. Tossed them in the pot, built a fireplace, attached the tripod and pot correctly - no need to inform me that you have to attach them via the grey area. Lit the fire, sat back and waited. And waited. And waited. After going through half a dozen logs, I tried adding water to the pot. And waited. And waited. Then I packed everything up and went to the nearest house with a fireplace. Built a fire, attached the pot correctly, and waited. Tried both with and without water.

At no point in my adventure did the fish become cooked. They did change their icon slightly, but were still named 'raw fish fillet.' Even after sitting on the fire for what must have been a grand total of an hour of RL time, they never progressed to burnt.

So obviously cooking is bugged at the moment. Any ideas on how to make it work? Is this a known issue?

Well i know eating cooked meat gets you sick , So thats broken. I'm not sure if cooked fish will get you sick. The only way i was able to cook anything was by roasting it on a stick. I'm going to try and cook on the camping stove. I'll let ya know if it works.

I havn't tried fish yet but cooking meat works every way i tried. Just don't eat it. Hooks can be easily found in the green houses or in the shed with attached lean-to. would like to know if fish makes you sick though.

It's like in real life. The fish don't hop out of the pan and tell you that they are done. They change color and you can tell they are done. That icon change was your queue that they were done.

Are the poisonous to eat? No idea, but in 0.57 a change in color without a change of the name meant it was safe to eat. Hope that helps.

When  cooking all that happens is the colour changes, the name 'raw fish fillet' or anything else will remain the same. I have cooked loads. Cooked food does not always make you ill either, there is a small chance.

Edited by MadMcardle

It's like in real life. The fish don't hop out of the pan and tell you that they are done. They change color and you can tell they are done.

If that's the case, then why did they never burn?

If that's the case, then why did they never burn?

IDK, there are tons of bugs in almost all the "survival" mechanics right now, imo.

The way temperature is managed is buggy, and it's not known where the root cause is. Mainly the issue is external heat sources don't heat you up fast enough, if at all. Plus the UI messaging is flaky. This is most obvious in the "everything's fine, doop de doo, HYPOTHERMIA, DEAD" issues.

I've gotten cold enough to be shaking, sat next to 3 fires for 30 mins, and still was shaking. No status messages in UI.

I've read confirmed issues that even fully cooked meat gets you sick.

I get "completely drenched" in 10 seconds if I set foot outside during a minor drizzle, ttkso or not.

I've gotten "itchy wounds" from drinking out of a canteen.

So yeah, I feel your pain man. The survival game is not strong with this build. I have to say, it's pretty evident to me that BI does not put enough focus on QA. They clearly have a metric s*** ton of use cases, and it's really obvious they're not testing them for regressions between builds, given how many critical issues just waltz right on through to production.

I know alphapologists will say "they're not fixing bugs in alpha, that's what beta is for," but I'm here to say that's a real bad plan, UNLESS they think all these bugs will disappear when the engine is swapped out (which is a fair assessment, but not one I've heard made explicitly by BI).

If the defects persist though, they're gonna get to beta with an insurmountable defect backlog, and a bunch of burnt out devs who won't want to fix them. Take it from moi, I've been there.

Edited by FrigginTommyNoble
  • Like 1

You need to fill the cooking pot with water in order to cook something in it. If you don't want to use the cooking pot, you can always use a branch, which lets you see the transition from raw to cooked right away.

If using a cooking pot, it takes about 3 minutes to cook the carp fillets. (Or mackerel.)

xofx38.jpg

I never got food poisoning from fish, yet. 

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 1

I've gotten cold enough to be shaking, sat next to 3 fires for 30 mins, and still was shaking. No status messages in UI.

- When that happens, remove your boots, walk a bit to get an update status (my feet are sore) and then put them back on. You'll get the "healing" status and then you'll be back to healthy. The change in status might enable you to get the "slowly warming up" and "rapidly warming" updates, until you get warm enough to stop shaking. If it still doesn't work, just change server. That's the way to fix this bug.

I get "completely drenched" in 10 seconds if I set foot outside during a minor drizzle, ttkso or not.

Just wear a raincoat, and you'll stay dry. Also, the firefighter clothes keep you dry, and more isolated than any other clothing item. 

Edited by Odin Lowe

Odin I have never seen the fireman outfit before, looks great! I am gonna look for one now! lol

• Like 1

Odin I have never seen the fireman outfit before, looks great! I am gonna look for one now! lol

Somehow right now the only place it spawns is the huge town hall in Novodmitrovsk. It's the most water resistant and insulated clothing gear you can find. Comes in black and beige.

Firefighter Olympic swimming team.

Combined with a gas mask, motorcycle helmet, and a dry bag, it's the only gear that can be used to achieve reaching the debug island. 

t8kfbo.jpg

• Like 2

I never got food poisoning from fish, yet. 

Weren't you or Tatanko the one who I saw pics of fishing in that one pond with a car wreck in it? Hydrocarbon and mercury flavored fish are delicious... or so I hear. :)

• Like 1

Weren't you or Tatanko the one who I saw pics of fishing in that one pond with a car wreck in it? Hydrocarbon and mercury flavored fish are delicious... or so I hear. :)

It was probably Tatanko. I don't like my fish with too much seasoning, as it alters the natural flavors. And the little bits of rust tend to numb my taste buds too much.  ;)

• Like 1

I felt so retarded the other night.. I couldnt even get the danged fire started. :(

sticks+paper=fireplace+wood+...wait, how the hell do I light it? ..ok+torch=nothing.. +matches=wtf?! o.O

(ps.. I just started playing again after 6 month break) 

Cooked meat of any kind seems to have a 50/50 chance of getting you sick. Its pretty fucking stupid, add animals, add realistic animal roaming, add hunting, dial down the food in game, now make meat a worthless food source.

FUCKING BRILLIANT

• Like 1

Head up to Novo tower bud.  Lots of fire fighter outfits up there.

Head up to Novo tower bud.  Lots of fire fighter outfits up there.

Will do man

I felt so retarded the other night.. I couldnt even get the danged fire started. :(

sticks+paper=fireplace+wood+...wait, how the hell do I light it? ..ok+torch=nothing.. +matches=wtf?! o.O

Errrr, unless i'm very much mistaken you still just make a fire and light it with matches same as 6 months back :)

There's bark n stuff for kindling if you like now, and you can also make a fire lighting kit with a stick and some bark if you don't have matches, but the original method still works sweet.

• Like 1

When  cooking all that happens is the colour changes, the name 'raw fish fillet' or anything else will remain the same. I have cooked loads. Cooked food does not always make you ill either, there is a small chance.

This is bullshit then. If there's a chance of getting ill from eating cooked meat then why bother eating cooked meat.

May as well just eat canned food and vegetables and stay safe.

Cooked meat of any kind seems to have a 50/50 chance of getting you sick. Its pretty fucking stupid, add animals, add realistic animal roaming, add hunting, dial down the food in game, now make meat a worthless food source.

FUCKING BRILLIANT

This.

You'll need to add rags or paper to the fireplace kit along with the log (or sticks) as this is then the fuel that it burns.

I think you can use the flare, matches and bark/stick to light it. Not sure about the torch because I've never built one.

As for the chances of getting ill from cooked meat, it's a bug. Same way that you could avoid getting ill a few patches ago by using 'eat all' on raw meat.

They also haven't, at least in my experiences, reduced food spawns at all. I'm almost always able to find enough to survive incredibly quickly when I spawn in. Only exception being if there is another player just in front of me who has taken all the food.

• Like 1

FUCKING BRILLIANT

Dude, chill. It's just a bug. It's all part of the creation process of the game. It happens. Why now? Why like this? Check the code, find the problem and fix it. Oh wait, you're not one of the devs...

I'd say deal with it right now, and when it's fixed, be happy with it.

(I've eaten lots of meat recently, cooked, and haven't got any problems. Using the cooking pot, with water in it. You need to cook the meat thoroughly though.)

When you cook fish it still says raw fish fillet. You can eat it, but it seems all cooked meat will give you food poisoning and human meat even when cooked will always give you brain flu + food poisoning. I just avoid eating people, and always carry charcoal tabs when fishing. Or better yet, I rely on growing pumpkins which is faster in the long run, produces more food, and is 100% safe so long as you don't eat rotten food.