gannon46

Curiosity peaked

So the heli has me pumped but was anyone thinking to themselves how the hell will i bring that down. Will the SVD or will they give us another weapon possibly a LMG like a 240B or the MK48, or even a stinger missile system yes yes i know we all hate rocket launchers and such but really what were the players thinking when they seen it, I'm curious as to others ideas it has me pumped and i know they'll add something that will make it to where your not invulnerable in the skies i'm just curious as to what that would be surely the only way to take it down won't be to just shoot at the pilot i'm sure they have something in store but what? either way seems like some exciting stuff very excited for the winter of this year.

It was easy to take down helicopters in the mod with regular weapons.  Shooting out pilots is fairly easy, and damaging rotors with 7.62 was also easy.  I hope they don't add stingers, that would make it too trivial.

It won't be an issue.

• Like 1

Just like in most of games by shooting at it with rifle?

did you play the mod or any arma game that usually wouldn't work with a lot of small arms sir you can't just shoot at them especially if they have side guns in the doors. you had to aim for the pilot with a DMR or something of that caliber, M-107 , even LMG you had to aim as well at the rotors or weak spots. I don't see the weapons we have now except the SVD being able to do shit to the heli so i figure unless you aim at the pilot which makes things immensely more difficult. again just shooting at it will not work then again what kind of armor would that little bird have i wonder hmmmm.

eh we'll see i'm not complaining or bitching i was just wondering gonna have to get on the mod find a heli and just shoot at it and see if it will go down with an AK and variants of other ifles we have currently and see i know it is different but just for my own experimentation i want to see what happens in the mod with a little bird vs an AK or M4.

Yes I played mod for 2 years and I'm sure you will be able to take it down with rifles like m4 or ak.

that usually wouldn't work

LOL did u play?

Edited by isthisgameplayable

There are grenade launcher attachments coming so..

You spam anything with enough bullets and there is going to be damaged.

I've stated before in a similar thread that I'm willing to take on heli's with anything that propells lead and/or copper with sufficient velocity and I'm sure I'm not alone. Anything airborne would encounter significant AA fire from non AA weapons because of how much of a game changer it is.

And a little bird isn't a blackhawk, it's fairly close to, if not actually, a civvie aircraft. Not made to be a bullet sponge.

But you specifically state a couple of weapons which do and supposedly do not work. Let's start with your claim that a FN-FAL (a "regular rifle") cannot bring one down, a FN-FAL is traditionally a 7.62 calibre rifle, a 240bravo is a 7.62 Light machine gun (for lack of a better term). All the 240 has over tha FAL is its spray capability, making it easier to land hits on a target that's always going to be hard to hit. A DMR is just a M14 Aim with a scope, bipod and a custom stock, it's also 7.62. Thus, excluding barrel length and differences in blow back operation which is a minimal factor here, they all have the same approximate muzzle energy.

If you're good enough a FN-FAL will kill a pilot, if the game is realistic. In the Arma 2 based DayZ mod just about every 7.62 rifle bar the M14 series (from memory) had about 4K dmg but the M14 based weapons were closer to 8K (from memory) which doesn't make sense in a realism factor. If the devs give equal power to weapons based on calibre choice and similar barrels then "regular rifles" and even the more powerful pistols should be sufficient to take down a aircraft like a little bird. (*EDIT* if the pilot is dumb enough to basically hover in front of your face inregards to the pistols)

Edited by Dchil

we certainly don't need launchers of any kind. I've played a TON of mod and been on both sides of the chopper. Using the door guns while moving/evading fire was more a matter of spray where you think they are and hope to land a few hits.

Ground V chopper direct combat was pretty balanced to be quite honest. a squad of several guys with M4's/AKM/Etc could easily damage the chopper, shoot out exposed door gunners, etc. this isn't the latest BF or CoD game and we shouldn't be going for directly balanced game play. a chopper takes folks a ton of time and work to get up and running and to maintain- it should be 'better' then a lone survivor with an assault rifle. you can quite easily take cover and let the chopper pass if your alone.

the much bigger issues surrounding chopper gameplay in dayZ were always a matter of engine limitations- Such as small vegetation, ground clutter, etc not being rendered from distance making choppers an OP 'Eye in the sky'.  picking out a lone survivor who wants to to stay stealthy was always nearly impossible- so was giving your gunners decent shots without making the chopper an easy target. A small squad of survivors with automatic weapons however, could easily put enough fire on the chopper to either severely damage key parts or force it to leave the area. which like i said, is the goal. this is a survival game not an FPS with some survival elements tacked on for novelty- the goal is to survive not rack up your K:D ratio. 'killing' the chopper isn't necessary, you need only damage it or force it to leave/evade fire. at that point it's not effectively hunting YOU anymore, Op success!

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 3

It was easy to take down helicopters in the mod with regular weapons.  Shooting out pilots is fairly easy, and damaging rotors with 7.62 was also easy.  I hope they don't add stingers, that would make it too trivial.

It won't be an issue.

All you need is a Makarov :D

• Like 5

i wouldnt compare it with the mod, but with arma 3. the hummingbirds strengh is his agility, not his armor. if hit with 7.62 there should be some severe Damage - at least enough to scare the pilot away.

greets

Edited by edwin3

All you need is a Makarov :D

This would be why in the mod whenever I was piloting it was full speed nap of the earth or so high no one could get a shot and you never ever come down using autohover. ;) Even so I had my Little Bird shot out from under me a few times. Anything basically full auto that can throw a lot of lead into your path can ruin your day. 

I've never played the mod, but I can only imagine the amount of fuckery that would take place if there was rocket launchers or stinger missiles. xD I can see it now...you run into a small shed to look for burlap and get blown up by someone who finds it funny to blow you up. Or quickly haul ass into the barracks at the military base and someone comes by and shoots a missile down the hallway and destroys everything in its path lol

I personally can't imagine what they'd implement to take down heli's, but if it's anything similar to the mod they might just keep us using guns and no heavy weapons (i.e. launchers or missiles).  

All this Helicopter talk is just another damn PVP mechanic if you ask me. Im more interested for the SURVIVAL PVE aspect. You know that stuff that was supposed to make the game 10xs harsher lol. These mini birds arnt even gun capable so really your just giving yourself away to everyone on the map without any defense to fire back at the fuckers shooting at you.

And why would you want to shoot an unarmed chopper down? Other than just to grief the person that spent hours trying to get one up and running. And I'm pretty sure NOTHING will be gained considering all the persons gear would be ruined on impact with the ground.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

All this Helicopter talk is just another damn PVP mechanic if you ask me. Im more interested for the SURVIVAL PVE aspect. You know that stuff that was supposed to make the game 10xs harsher lol. These mini birds arnt even gun capable so really your just giving yourself away to everyone on the map without any defense to fire back at the fuckers shooting at you.

And why would you want to shoot an unarmed chopper down? Other than just to grief the person that spent hours trying to get one up and running. And I'm pretty sure NOTHING will be gained considering all the persons gear would be ruined on impact with the ground.

They're extremely valuable for scouting and transport.  Just because it doesn't have guns doesn't mean it's not incredibly useful for pvp, and as such a threat.

Besides, we're supposed to get the ability to shoot from vehicles and this one's been shown to have skids.  It's likely you'll be able to do just that, though it will basically be a death wish.

All this Helicopter talk is just another damn PVP mechanic if you ask me... These mini birds arnt even gun capable so really your just giving yourself away to everyone on the map without any defense to fire back at the fuckers shooting at you.

If they're unarmed, how can you call it a PvP mechanic? It does two things - it moves fast and it provides a vantage point. Both of those apply equally to, say, scouting targets for your buddies, and rescuing freshspawns from the coast.

If they're unarmed, how can you call it a PvP mechanic? It does two things - it moves fast and it provides a vantage point. Both of those apply equally to, say, scouting targets for your buddies, and rescuing freshspawns from the coast.

Well it could be the fact that it was pretty much highlighted as being a major pvp component during the discussion about choppers in the presentation. I'm not really thrilled about most of the pvp involved with this kind of thing. Now if they had mentioned Rescuing fresh spawns and actually putting the thing to more beneficial use rather than blowing it out of the sky or taking cover from a damn LMG than I would think other wise.

Why would you need to scout targets for your buddies if your just PVEing? Zombies maybe? Most of what you said sounds mainly pvp related except for the last part.

Helicopters are less needed in SA because we can now find almost all of items anywhere on map. But in mod some items spawned only in specific locations. Like antibiotics or blood bags. Maybe with return of zombies, helicopters will have more of use. If you want to rescue friend chased by 20-30 zeds or make a lot of noise away from your friend. Or it will be ultimate bandit weapon (remember Bluemidgetguy?)

Helicopters are less needed in SA because we can now find almost all of items anywhere on map. But in mod some items spawned only in specific locations. Like antibiotics or blood bags. Maybe with return of zombies, helicopters will have more of use. If you want to rescue friend chased by 20-30 zeds or make a lot of noise away from your friend. Or it will be ultimate bandit weapon (remember Bluemidgetguy?)

Ether way the entire thing is going to scream KOS until otherwise noted.

I'm still baffled bicycles are being put on a lower profile for development and were getting the more high end vehicles first.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 2

Ether way the entire thing is going to scream KOS until otherwise noted.

I'm still baffled bicycles are being put on a lower profile for development and were getting the more high end vehicles first.

It's because they are taking the same approach they did to weapons and other systems.  They are creating the most complex variants first to test the mechanic/work everything out, then simplifying.

It's why they started with the m4 which has the most attachments and moved on, and why they started with the v3s because they said it would have the most variations.  I'm not entirely sure that the littlebird in this case is the most complex helicopter/air vehicle they are going to have, but it sounds like they mainly used it because the model already existed.  It still makes more sense to work on air vehicles now and add something simple like bikes later.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

It's because they are taking the same approach they did to weapons and other systems.  They are creating the most complex variants first to test the mechanic/work everything out, then simplifying.

It's why they started with the m4 which has the most attachments and moved on, and why they started with the v3s because they said it would have the most variations.  I'm not entirely sure that the littlebird in this case is the most complex helicopter/air vehicle they are going to have, but it sounds like they mainly used it because the model already existed.  It still makes more sense to work on air vehicles now and add something simple like bikes later.

I guess, I'm just really hoping bicycles don't get swept under the rug until much much latter on down the line. Being a person that rides a bicycle myself its pretty much all I really need to get around places. And I'm quite content with just a bicycle in general.

uhm so..heli ya ?

well "great" uhm...undervhelming news. I hoped for something simpler like a kite you can man or a ultralight plane or somesorts. Bit more creative than "slap on helicopter"

• Like 2

It's not entirely impossible that we'll get some kind of RPG, rocket launchers were mentioned in the last status report:

Also former functionality of weapons such as machine guns, rocket launchers or underslung grenade throwers will be brought back.

However I do agree with others that it should be possible to bring down a heli with a rifle.

I think if they are going to add air transport then to balance that they should add armored ground transport. I'm think will all the BMPs around they are the logical choice