Mookie (original)

Mystery disease

For the past couple of days I've been getting 'I feel worn out', 'I am tired' messages and a yellow sickness indicator. Now it's red. For the first time in my 2,500 hours in game, I'm also getting red 'I feel a rumbling in my bowels' message. :blush:

I don't think it's food poisoning (no funny taste in my mouth or nausea). It can't be an infected wound (no zombies, obvs). Charcoal doesn't seem to help, nor (so far) do antibiotics. Before this set in, I was bright green healthy, energised and hydrated.

The only unusual thing I did before it began was light a gas cooker, which I'd never done before.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of charcoal and antibiotics, but I am pretty near the Svet hospital.

edit: so cholera probably. What are my chances?

Edited by Mookie

Your sir have Cholera :P

Keep eating and drinking and taking the antibiotics and it will go...eventually.

Edited by MadMcardle
  • Like 1

For the past couple of days I've been getting 'I feel worn out', 'I am tired' messages and a yellow sickness indicator. Now it's red. For the first time in my 2,500 hours in game, I'm also getting red 'I feel a rumbling in my bowels' message. :blush:

I don't think it's food poisoning (no funny taste in my mouth or nausea). It can't be an infected wound (no zombies, obvs). Charcoal doesn't seem to help, nor (so far) do antibiotics. Before this set in, I was bright green healthy, energised and hydrated.

The only unusual thing I did before it began was light a gas cooker, which I'd never done before.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of charcoal and antibiotics, but I am pretty near the Svet hospital.

edit: so cholera probably. What are my chances?

Did you get it despite being healthy? I'm kind of ambiguous regarding drinking water not coming from a well/pump.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

Did you drink from a pond at all? That's the way to get it. It is possible to survive by eating and drinking and taking the antibiotics, you may need to hydrate a bit more but I have got past it before.

Did you get it despite being healthy? I'm kind of ambiguous regarding drinking water not coming from a well/pump.

Yes. I think there is a very small chance of catching it from pond water if you're healthy, but it's still a chance...

You need to use the syringe and bottle antibiotics. At a certain level the pill antibiotics won't work if your into stage 3 4 or 5. If your in the red just hang by a well with food , you have almost went through each stage.

A friend of mine got the same 'rumbling in bowels' message in which none of us has ever seen so naturally he got made fun of and we told him that the devs implemented crapping your pants into the game and we warned him he'd best watch out. xD

But like most the other posts suggest sounds like you might have caught the sickness from pond water. I think this same friend I spoke about had just taken a drink from a pond. Ponds are tricky, you have to be really healthy to drink from one or you run a bigger risk of getting sick.

I'm headed towards Svetlo hospital to source some more antibiotics - will try the bottle/syringe route. Also lots of water pumps there.

My real priority though (having just found an M4, goddammit) is to find a barrel and stash everything...

Thanks for the intel all.

• Like 1

You'll need to get someone to give you that syringe man just so you know. And where did you find your M4?

I'm headed towards Svetlo hospital to source some more antibiotics - will try the bottle/syringe route. Also lots of water pumps there.

My real priority though (having just found an M4, goddammit) is to find a barrel and stash everything...

Thanks for the intel all.

Check the sheds north of town, I can usually grab a couple barrels out of those.  Also, I've been finding antibiotic vials in sheds more often than anyplace else.  Good luck finding a syringe and a steady hand.

On a sidenote: Ha-Ha, that's why I never drink questionable water.

Well, it's been touch and go all night. I got through all my oral antibiotics and found a water pump near the hospital (I'm in Severograd, not Svetlo, sorry, I'm a western-half-of-the-map guy).

The 'sick' status went away. Then my hydration collapsed. I kept drinking, threw up a few times. It wasn't helping, things were getting very greyed out. The hospital was pretty crap - scrubs everywhere, but no antibiotics.

Running through a house, I found an innocent looking water bottle (standing upright, at 40%), so drank from it. Then the 'sick' status came back. I didn't think I'd survive another bout. Things were completely grey now.

In my desperation I found a barrel and took a northern road out of town to stash my best gear. I thought I could become unconscious at any moment. Then I went back to the pump and just laid down to die.

I was managing to keep my hydration and energy levels high. After a while the grey began to be replaced by colour, and then, finally, I started healing. Now I'm healthy and have just recovered the stashed gear.

But - I'm still getting 'I am tired' and 'I am worn out' messages. Perhaps this is just the convalescence. In any case, I won't be drinking from ponds again for a while.

• Like 4

Nice to hear a happy ending for once lol. The status of feeling tired etc can stay for 6-10 hours I believe but glad your on the mend :)

Well, it's been touch and go all night. I got through all my oral antibiotics and found a water pump near the hospital (I'm in Severograd, not Svetlo, sorry, I'm a western-half-of-the-map guy).

The 'sick' status went away. Then my hydration collapsed. I kept drinking, threw up a few times. It wasn't helping, things were getting very greyed out. The hospital was pretty crap - scrubs everywhere, but no antibiotics.

Running through a house, I found an innocent looking water bottle (standing upright, at 40%), so drank from it. Then the 'sick' status came back. I didn't think I'd survive another bout. Things were completely grey now.

In my desperation I found a barrel and took a northern road out of town to stash my best gear. I thought I could become unconscious at any moment. Then I went back to the pump and just laid down to die.

I was managing to keep my hydration and energy levels high. After a while the grey began to be replaced by colour, and then, finally, I started healing. Now I'm healthy and have just recovered the stashed gear.

But - I'm still getting 'I am tired' and 'I am worn out' messages. Perhaps this is just the convalescence. In any case, I won't be drinking from ponds again for a while.

I have the exact same problem.  I was full healthy when this first started.  I always drink out of ponds and did so just before I got sick.  I also ate a bunch of cooked deer steaks (cooked from a gas stove).  I do not think it was the deer because I never got the "funny taste in my mouth" message.  I am losing water faster then I can replace it, meaning I get full and stay at high levels of full-ness while rapidly losing hydration.  I was trying to avoid vomiting, but think maybe this isn't a bad thing to make room for more water.  Eventually the sickness message went away but the hydration problem continued.  I have been drinking from a pump (and eating a little) for hours now.  The sickness bar came back up and I immediately ate charcoal, but the sick message bar is still there but the rumbling in my bowels has ceased.  I am still getting the "i am tired, worn out messages".  I have also just started to heal, but I still have the "sick message bar"  This Cholera (if that is what I got) is a real challenge...I think I am gonna pull through though.  If anyone has a syringe I have some anti biotics and would appreciate a shot.  I am near Petrovka (NNW).

Yep, sounds just like what I had (have?). I think vomiting in moderation can be a help...

My 'healthy' status has disappeared again, although everything remains colourful and my hydration seems normal. If I get worse again, I'll probably kill myself and be done with it.

Antibiotics, vials and syringes do seem a helluva lot harder to find these days btw.

nice to see that there are people out there that don´t jump from towers or suicide because their toon is ill and that is bad when you are only online to pewpew, you are the best´s :thumbsup:

i hope you guys will be fine after your struggle, thats how dayz works and for what i love it

nice to see that there are people out there that don´t jump from towers or suicide because their toon is ill and that is bad when you are only online to pewpew, you are the best´s :thumbsup:

i hope you guys will be fine after your struggle, thats how dayz works and for what i love it

I am good now.  Interestingly, my healthy status went away too.  The hydration issue seemed to be solved but I was still getting "I'm tired" "I am run down" messages for about two hours.  I took my shoes off to take a little damage and I began healing...now everything is fine.  I was really worried there for a while, but it was a lot of fun when I finally made it.  I think the key to cholera is time....i do not think any of my antibiotics, etc helped.  I just stayed close to a pump and stayed hydrated.  This took about 6-8 hours.  BTW, this kinda stuff is why I love DAYZ also, it's just crazy that getting sick and all of the other nuances of this game are what make it so different and so entertaining. 

• Like 1

I took my shoes off to take a little damage and I began healing...now everything is fine.

Ah, good idea. I might give that a try.

Some time ago I drank something from a canteen I found (maybe gas?) and got super sick, dark-red one (like when you're starving), then 'I just soiled myself' messages kicked in every now and then. I strove hard to keep the toon alive and after some puking and greying I was fine ('pumpkin is the best medicine'). However, the soiling message (without any actual effects) stayed with me for many hours (I couldn't find antibiotics in numerous hospitals). At first I thought that's an admin joke, but I asked a friend of mine to join that server and he wasn't crapping himself so I guess I was sick for real.

After a long time (the 'sick' status coming on and off) I stopped soiling myself but moved to orange 'sick' and started to see 'I feel exhausted' messages. This toon had to endure this for many hours, way way longer that either poisoning, so I started to doubt if it's not a bug (as I had no side effects apart from the status and messages). From what you say, I believe there are indeed more diseases implemented - up until now I'd never either 'soiled myself' or had any 'bowel rumbling'. What can I say, Mookie? I hope you get better, live longer and prosper. ;)

Two pieces of misinformation I think I see here:

1) vomiting is never good for you and contrary to widespread belief, inducing vomiting doesn't help with anything. There is a yt video about that.

2) 'Healthy' and 'sick' statuses have nothing to do with each other, they can co-exist perfectly no matter how it looks like. 'Health' refers to HP, 'sick' to diseases. I'm quite sure taking shoes off does nothing to cholera bacteria.

One question:

- is the info with the syring and atibiotics vial confirmed? I remember that both did nothing for a long time and then I didn't see anything about it in change logs. Can someone confirm?

• Like 1

Some advice: Get rid of any drinking/eating apparati you have. I'm not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but you can re-catch whatever illness you've had by drinking from a container you had in your possession at the time of your illness. Happened to me from an infected wound, of all things. But I've definitely heard people say you can re-catch cholera from a canteen/bottle you used while sick.

Just a PSA. Glad to hear you made it through.

Some time ago I drank something from a canteen I found (maybe gas?) and got super sick, dark-red one (like when you're starving), then 'I just soiled myself' messages kicked in every now and then. I strove hard to keep the toon alive and after some puking and greying I was fine ('pumpkin is the best medicine'). However, the soiling message (without any actual effects) stayed with me for many hours (I couldn't find antibiotics in numerous hospitals). At first I thought that's an admin joke, but I asked a friend of mine to join that server and he wasn't crapping himself so I guess I was sick for real.

After a long time (the 'sick' status coming on and off) I stopped soiling myself but moved to orange 'sick' and started to see 'I feel exhausted' messages. This toon had to endure this for many hours, way way longer that either poisoning, so I started to doubt if it's not a bug (as I had no side effects apart from the status and messages). From what you say, I believe there are indeed more diseases implemented - up until now I'd never either 'soiled myself' or had any 'bowel rumbling'. What can I say, Mookie? I hope you get better, live longer and prosper. ;)

1) vomiting is never good for you and contrary to widespread belief, inducing vomiting doesn't help with anything. There is a yt video about that.

2) 'Healthy' and 'sick' statuses have nothing to do with each other, they can co-exist perfectly no matter how it looks like. 'Health' refers to HP, 'sick' to diseases. I'm quite sure taking shoes off does nothing to cholera bacteria.

One question:

- is the info with the syring and atibiotics vial confirmed? I remember that both did nothing for a long time and then I didn't see anything about it in change logs. Can someone confirm?

Appreciate your good wishes. I made a full recovery. Guess the total in-game time was about three hours.

I think vomiting was good for me - if only because it cured that classic situation when hydration collapses post-sickness, where I was both red stuffed and thirsty...

The best way to get rid of the 'I am tired' and 'I feel run down' messages was (predictably!) to lie down for an hour or two. Feeling immersed, I did so on a bed in a delightful cottage near Kamensk.

But then I couldn't get back to healing/healthy. Taking shoes off (only for about ten secs) worked like a charm; not on any illness itself, but because my status was buggy and it needed a jolt to update. I popped my boots off, walked a few steps, and was almost immediately healing and then healthy.

Then the server that I'd stashed my M4 and other goodies on in case of death just disappeared. Christ, this game is masochistic...

Considering we now have messages like "I just soiled myself", that means we have defecation in the game. I really want to be able to collect it in a bottle and force feed it to people! If you roleplay as a psycho, you really should be able to go all the way!

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

One question:

"1) vomiting is never good for you and contrary to widespread belief, inducing vomiting doesn't help with anything. There is a yt video about that."

I had to vomit when I had cholera to make room for food and water.  Vomiting did nothing to help me other than making room in my stomach.

"- is the info with the syring and atibiotics vial confirmed? I remember that both did nothing for a long time and then I didn't see anything about it in change logs. Can someone confirm?"

Unconfirmed, I have not found a syringe to test this.  I recovered from cholera by living through it....it took me about 6 hours real time to recover.