preacherlr

New weapon mechanics - 23rd of Sept Dev blog

Did anyone else see this and get slightly excited? 
To get closer to authenticity of firearms some changes to their handling are being currently implemented. Chambering became a real part of the weapon instead of invisible magazine with 1 bullet count. This will allow players to attach a magazine to a chambered weapon effectively increasing the amount of available bullets which wasn't possible before. Reloading is also being revamped, as R-key will be dedicated to the manipulation with weapon like manually cycling the bolt, pull back charging handle in case of jam or even rolling the drum of revolver when you decide to play lethal games with some friends. Don't worry about losing R-key for reloading. As a replacement for R-key you will be able to reload your gun directly from the quickbar by choosing the corresponding slot with magazine in it. Magazines will be swapped during reloading action. Also loose ammunition will work in same way, choose right slot and gun will be chambered.

• Like 2

Cool, they should add safeties, and if you climb a fence with a slung rifle with a round in the chamber you have a small chance of discharging it.

Yeah, it's an exciting development.

I'm hoping these changes bring select fire mode for the appropriate weapons as well.

• Like 3

As I mentioned in the status report thread, it all sounds awesome except the part about being able to quickly reload/chamber loose rounds off the hotbar.  I think manually reloading certain weapons adds a whole lot to the experience, and I'd rather see combat slowed down not sped up.

As some one who routinely uses such weapons, I really enjoy having to arrange my inventory for convenience as well as the added tension from reloading during a fight.  I think it adds a bit of player skill/involvement, single button presses negates all of that.

I still wanna see the original idea of having no ammo counts on mags as well, so you have to manually check them.

Really love the other stuff though.

Edited by Bororm

Awesome about the revolvers and the mags switching places

Hot bar reloading should work only if magazines/lose rounds are in your pant/jacket/vests. Not from backpack. Also, lose rounds should be priviesly divided into 5 or 10, depending on how many is needed.

• Like 1

I really hope this doesn't complicate things un-necessarily.  It works well for my 2 hands in real life, but navigating the keyboard to perform basic functions that could easily be bundled together into a single animation, well i find disturbing to be quite honest.

And i swear to god, if i see additions to the scroll-wheel there will be blood...

But selective fire mode should be a good change, for the few weapons that it will accomodate, if it is to be included.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that we'll need to map each individual magazine to a different hot key? So like, if I had 2 spare mags for my AK, I could map one to 1 and the other to 2 and when I wanted to load one, I would press the corresponding key? So let's say I reload with hot key 1, if I press 1 again I would be loading the original mag back into the gun?

Why don't we take this a step further: hot keys should be tied to different pieces of clothing. A vest gives you some 1-4 slot hot keys, jeans give you some 1 slot hot keys, and a taloon pack would maybe give you none. I don't think being able to punch a key in combat to quickly yank a mag out of the bottom of you mountain backpack makes much sense.

For instance, you have an assault rifle with 5 mags and a press vest. 1 mag is in the gun, 3 mags are in your vest pouches, and 1 is in your backpack. During combat, you could use 3 different hot keys to load the mags from your vest, but to load the mag from your backpack, you would have to open your inventory and manually drag it over. Just a thought.

• Like 3

Why don't we take this a step further: hot keys should be tied to different pieces of clothing [...]

Taking your idea even further, what I'd like to see is a hierarchical hot bar that maps items to containers they're in. The idea would be to simulate the act of going through your pockets, or opening a backpack. So, in the first tier, each slot is mapped to a container (piece of clothing or backpack). In the second tier, each slot maps to an item in that container. Or, if you have ammo in a sub-container (storage container or ammo box), you'd then have to select the hotkey that maps to that "sub-container."

example:

1. Vest

1. 30RND STANAG

2. 30RND STANAG

3. Bandage

4. Morphine

2. Jacket

1. Compass

2. Knife

3. Range Finder

3. pants

1. 1911 Pistol

2. 1911 Mag

3. .45 ACP rounds (40)

4. backpack

1. Can opener

2. Matches

3. Sawed-Off shotgun

4. Ammo Box

1. 5.56 Rounds (30)

2. 5.56 Rounds (30)

3. 5.56 Rounds (30)

4. 5.56 Rounds (30)

5. 5.56 Rounds (30)

6. 45 ACP rounds

7. 45 ACP rounds

8. 45 ACP rounds

If you wanted to access 5.56 rounds from your ammo box, you'd have to hit "4" to open your backpack, then "4" again to open the ammo box. then you would have access to those rounds on your hotbar.

Although this will add some overhead to how you manage and access your inventory, it will help simulate reality and (imo) add great dynamics to high-stress/combat situations: You have to remember which "container" is holding the item you want, pay the time penalty to extract it from that area, and only then can you use it.

If the devs wanted to, they could associate different wait timers to simulate how long it would take to access that particular container type. For instance, a backpack should take longer to access than your pants pocket. You should be able to pull a gun out of a holster MUCH faster than putting your hand in your vest pocket, pulling out a storage container, opening that, then pulling your gun out, then putting the container back in your pocket.

This will reward players for organizing their gear in the most effective way, incentivize clothes types tailored to specific activity types, and shift the focus away from our current inventory slot count uber alles situation.

It will also help slow down combat a bit, and make it more deliberate and less twitchy, which is something I would like to see.

Edited by FrigginTommyNoble
  • Like 2

That was some nice stuff gives some ultra realazism and convinces people to just not spray unless in point blank rage cause it may jam. I also saw the thing that took about a whole year of complaining to finally be implemented the sharing of ammo spawns 7.62×39mm and 45 acp are now gonna spawn in civilian locations so we can chamber and use our izhs and not need a mag for a 1911 or have to empty a mam for our derringer. If none read the whole statas reports they confirmed underhand grenade launcher or whatever they are, rocket launchers, and machine guns. Also two wip models of a glock 19 and fan fal the glock of cource has the suppreser thingy and can take a suppreser(they should make a regular glock 19 spawn civilian suppresable one police same goes for cr 75)fn fal uses 308. Winchester with 20 round mags and can come with a folding buttstock.

Edited by DaNic2553