Mortenzoni

Looking for tips for a really good DayZ PC setup.

SOME INFORMATION

Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I'm gonna be honest with you, I made my account hoping for some help from the community.

I'm a big fan of survival games in general, so of course I was very excited for the release of DayZ. I bought it as soon as it came out and managed to play it for 10 hours (with about 10 fps at all times) but then I started getting FPS drops at the main menu.

I had no choice but to uninstall it and after that I didn't play it for 2 years and instead I played other games.

But last weekend I got a chance to play it again on my brother's computer which is significantly better than my own. I realised that I loved the game, so I redownloaded it on my own computer, but of course it was unplayable.

So therefore I want a really good PC that can handle DayZ at as high as possible settings, with 60 fps or higher. Definiately not under 50. I am also interested in ARMA 3 amongst other games (and upcoming games) so I'd like the computer to be able to hande those too (on as good as possible settings).

I barely know anything about specs and such so I'd appreciate if you included the price tag and their performance.

I live in Sweden, if that's important to know.

Price?

Try to keep it within a reasonable price range. I can't afford a computer that goes for like €3,000 ($3,395), that's simply not possible at the current state. I am willing to sacrifice some performance if it means I'll get a better price. I am thinking about €1,500 ($1,700) - €1,700 ($1,925) but I might be able to pay up to €2,000 ($2,265), but anything above is gonna be tough.

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks :)

I'm not too informed on the whole building a PC thing, however I do want to make sure you know that the game is going to get Optimized more in Beta, and that your machine might still lag until then. But best of luck, and with that budget, you probably don't even need the luck c:

I'm not too informed on the whole building a PC thing, however I do want to make sure you know that the game is going to get Optimized more in Beta, and that your machine might still lag until then. But best of luck, and with that budget, you probably don't even need the luck c:

Hmm, well even if it gets more optimized I'll probably have max 20 fps, like I do in ARMA 2.

All I recommend is build yourself, or at least buy the parts and get someone to put it together.

It takes a bit of research but is so much cheaper in the long run. Its quite fun as well.

PCpartpicker is a great site for choosing your parts for your build. There are a few threads here in the forum but they are a bit old now.

You can't build a computer that runs DayZ well at the moment. The best computers around seem to run DayZ at a low of 30 FPS inside any town or city, about 45 FPS in the villages, and 60+ in the wilderness. Until the fabled New Renderer comes into being, and various optimizations are implemented, you should expect 10-20 FPS inside cities - as far as I'm aware, there is very little you can do about it at the moment, and I'm not well versed with the current range of client-side optimizations that work.

All I recommend is build yourself, or at least buy the parts and get someone to put it together.

It takes a bit of research but is so much cheaper in the long run. Its quite fun as well.

PCpartpicker is a great site for choosing your parts for your build. There are a few threads here in the forum but they are a bit old now.

Thank you! I'll definitely check it out!

Edit: Realised it probably doesn't work in Sweden... :(

And I do plan on building it myself, or maybe as you said buy the parts and have someone else put them together.

Edited by Mortenzoni

So therefore I want a really good PC that can handle DayZ at as high as possible settings, with 60 fps or higher. Definiately not under 50.

as mentioned above, thats not possible at the moment. you will get drops beyond that.

If you want to buy anyway, id recommend you to check the forum - there are plenty setups already recommended. and if you want to spend that amount of money, you are better of informing yourself a bit, not just to post a "help" topic.

go with an i5 4490k cpu, a descent nvidia gpu and defnitely 2 SSDs (one for the OS, one for the game). just some cornerstones.

Good Luck

go with an i5 4490k cpu, a descent nvidia gpu and defnitely 2 SSDs (one for the OS, one for the game). just some cornerstones.

This^ but I'll rephrase. Haswell i5/AMD FX6350 or better, Nvidia 770/Radeon r9 270 or better, at least one ssd, 8-16gb ram, quality power supply.

bam!

Wait 'till the game is finished and build your rig to suit that.  None of us have any idea what the end product will look like or require for max performance.

Don't think he can go wrong but just building an all around solid machine. No need to wait

Don't think he can go wrong but just building an all around solid machine. No need to wait

Agreed, so long as the OP revises his expectations. He could spend $5k USD and still have drops below 60fps. If that's a problem for him, he should uninstall and try again in six months, or consider upgrading to a FreeSync/G-Sync monitor (probably G-Sync, as the best FreeSync monitors released thus far, only seem to work down to +/- 35FPS). Yes, periodically dropping into the 30's is a thing with this game, even with powerful hardware!

My recommendation would to start with the most powerful Intel processor that you can possibly afford. No other single component will have more of an effect on this game's performance.

Next, load the game onto a SSD. This game requires high drive throughput.

The GPU will have little effect on your FPS at this stage of game development. I've done back to back tests with a GTX470 and a GTX 780 and the FPS is virtually identical. The more powerful GPU will allow more/better visual effects, it just won't increase your FPS. The devs have threatened to eventually implement DX12 support, but it's not clear to me that current Nvidia and AMD hardware fully support all aspects of this new API. If it were me, I think that I would be tempted to economize here and then trade up later, or else get a suitable card based on what your other games require.

Agreed, so long as the OP revises his expectations. He could spend $5k USD and still have drops below 60fps. If that's a problem for him, he should uninstall and try again in six months, or consider upgrading to a FreeSync/G-Sync monitor (probably G-Sync, as the best FreeSync monitors released thus far, only seem to work down to +/- 35FPS). Yes, periodically dropping into the 30's is a thing with this game, even with powerful hardware!

My recommendation would to start with the most powerful Intel processor that you can possibly afford. No other single component will have more of an effect on this game's performance.

Next, load the game onto a SSD. This game requires high drive throughput.

The GPU will have little effect on your FPS at this stage of game development. I've done back to back tests with a GTX470 and a GTX 780 and the FPS is virtually identical. The more powerful GPU will allow more/better visual effects, it just won't increase your FPS. The devs have threatened to eventually implement DX12 support, but it's not clear to me that current Nvidia and AMD hardware fully support all aspects of this new API. If it were me, I think that I would be tempted to economize here and then trade up later, or else get a suitable card based on what your other games require.

But, what IS the best Intel processor?

I want the game to run smooth at almost all times. FPS drops in larger towns and villages are acceptable, I know that you can't do much against that. 

But, what IS the best Intel processor?

I want the game to run smooth at almost all times. FPS drops in larger towns and villages are acceptable, I know that you can't do much against that. 

The best (sure one of the best consumer) CPU is the Intel Core I7 5930K, cost 600€ - only the CPU.

But this is not necessary. In my opinion either the Intel Core I5 4690K (=overclocking) or the Intel Xeon 1231v3 (=non OC; my choice), last option Intel Core I7 4770K. It's like the other guys said, the game is NOT optimizied yet and nobody can really say what you need at the end of development. I5 and Xeon are well compromises between prize and performance and I'm sure they will be still good when DayZ will be released.

DayZ can't use all features of the CPUs and GPUs until It's near 1.0.

You could also buy the Intel Core I5 6600K/ I7 6700K. It runs with DDR4 RAM. It just a bit more expensive, but it has no huge advantages compared with DDR3 RAM at the moment.

And the GPUs which are availiable now, can't use all features of DX12 - just a few, both Nvidia and AMD, like BleedoutBill said. Later, Dayz will use DX12 and you can't effectively use it with a graphics card from this generation.

In the end you can say, if you want a powerful PC now, than buy it. There always will be released newer and faster parts and it's (mostly) not worth to wait. But as the others and me said, don't be disappointed when it's runs not like you had imagined, it will be better in the future :)

A very well CPU with a mid GPU now and later a "real" DX12 GPU, that's maybe the best way...

Edited by xCAPx

The Haswell-E processors are best for multasking. In other words, if you are going to play, stream and render a video all at the same time, then the i7 "workstation" 5960X and 5930K processors are probably your best choice.

The best "consumer" processor is currently the "Skylake" i7 6700K. If you don't intend to multitask, it may have a slight edge over the Haswell-E processors, at a fraction of the price.

There are plenty of other perfectly good processors available, such as the "Devil's Canyon" i5 & i7 CPUs. The i5 versions historically provide a great bang for the buck and, therefore, are a perennial favorite of the gaming community. But, in a game (DayZ, ARMA2, ARMA3, etc.) where every single FPS is critical, you'll want the i7 6700K, if your budget permits.

But, in a game (DayZ, ARMA2, ARMA3, etc.) where every single FPS is critical, you'll want the i7 6700K, if your budget permits.

I've looked up the i7 6700k, costs about €400 on Komplett. If I buy that, what GPU should I get? Should I get a high-end GPU that I don't need to upgrade, or follow xCapx's and BleedoutBill's advice on buying a mid-end GPU and then later upgrading to a high-end?

Oh, and don't forget that I want to use my computer for other games such as ARMA 3, (maybe) Rust, CS:GO (which the computer easily will run), PAYDAY 2 (maybe), Reign of Kings (maybe)...

I got a lot of games in my steam library that I've bought and then realised that I can't run on my current computer lol.

I looked around for some GPUs. What is the difference between:

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB

and

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB

The price difference is about €200, so I'd like to know.

I looked around for some GPUs. What is the difference between:

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB

and

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB

The price difference is about €200, so I'd like to know.

The TI is equal to or better than a entry level Titan. You get a higher clock speed and more Vram off the top of my head.

I understand that this post is a few months old, and I'm not sure if you've built it yet, however I thought I would chime in. DayZ (as well as the ArmA series) are very core performance hungry, this means that Intel makes the best suitor for you're processor as it has the highest per-core performance. I have an i7-6700k and a gtx 980, I built it for about $1400. I'm getting 45-50 fps in cities, 65-80 fps in towns, and usually 95+ fps in the wilderness. This is on max settings minus a few things that I've changed in because I don't like them, like post processing. I've also tweaked my DayZ file to increase distances further than I can via the graphics menu. I hope that this helps, best of luck surviving the horrible 12 year old bandits.

-TheMilitiaman