IgnobleBasterd

Ridiculous rain effects?

Is it only me or is the negative effects of rain too emphasised? Right now I feel like the single most important thing to get a hold of is a rain coat (early) and later a Gorka jacket. M95 jackets, for example, is nowhere near worth the two extra slots considering you get wet when it rains.

I don't wear the waterproof stuff.  You can totally get by without it, its just another layer of challenge you have to fight against to survive.

You get wet when it rains, okay... so dry yourself off?  Heatpacks and fires for warmth.  I don't really see a problem?

• Like 4

I don't wear the waterproof stuff.  You can totally get by without it, its just another layer of challenge you have to fight against to survive.

You get wet when it rains, okay... so dry yourself off?  Heatpacks and fires for warmth.  I don't really see a problem?

But you can't really play when it rains. You can pretty much light a fire inside a house to dry yourself, and then stay there.

• Like 1

But you can't really play when it rains. You can pretty much light a fire inside a house to dry yourself, and then stay there.

Sounds like real life to me. Not everything in an apocalypse would be fast paced. Imagine if you lived in a fallout shelter for long periods of time. Youd basically be doing less than what you could do if it rains lol.

• Like 2

i have played many hours with my m65 jacket during rain, and i don't see much of a problem as long as you don't camp all the time.

keeping the body temperature up works fine for me, as long as i'm moving. if i have to stop for some time, i will cool down a bit, but that can be solved with a fire in 5 min

It's very very easy to get by even in the rain. As said before, keep moving, and for the most part you're fine. You can hole up in a building, but that's boring after 5 minutes. Another solution would be raincoats and drybags and all that jazz, but if you don't like raincoats, just store one in your backpack or something, they only take two slots, and make for good emergency clothing. Oh and you can always heat stuff up over a fire (While you're inside that house warming up) and put it in your inventory, they'll retain the heat for a little bit.

Ridiculous?  I prefer the term 'alpha'. 

i have played many hours with my m65 jacket during rain, and i don't see much of a problem as long as you don't camp all the time.

keeping the body temperature up works fine for me, as long as i'm moving. if i have to stop for some time, i will cool down a bit, but that can be solved with a fire in 5 min

Same - I don't wear the waterproof stuff and never have any trouble with rain as long as I am moving.  Every now and then I will get the shaky scope from being wet/cold for a long period and I just light several fires in a house and correct it before moving on.

Rain isn't a big deal.

Ridiculous?  I prefer the term 'alpha'. 

your implying this will be changed? its a great system and experience pays off in the end

I love my gorka jacket and prefer when it rains. The sound drowns out my footsteps when i'm sneaking up to lit campfires.

• Like 6

your implying this will be changed? its a great system and experience pays off in the end

Im implying that the mechanic was implemented and will be evaluated, tweaked, and balanced during beta.

• Like 1

What if I want to march shirtless in the rain from Elektro to Stary as a display of manliness and intimidation? I don't have time to stop and light a fire every ten minutes.

• Like 2

What if I want to march shirtless in the rain from Elektro to Stary as a display of manliness and intimidation? I don't have time to stop and light a fire every ten minutes.

Im implying that the mechanic was implemented and will be evaluated, tweaked, and balanced during beta.

Man up, clear the buildings, or run the trees..Keep a fast pase and enjoy it..it will stop raining when the server restarts

Is it only me or is the negative effects of rain too emphasised? Right now I feel like the single most important thing to get a hold of is a rain coat (early) and later a Gorka jacket. M95 jackets, for example, is nowhere near worth the two extra slots considering you get wet when it rains.

e6a67625815a07de81c5ca6970cafedd59d38459

• Like 3

I watched a friend's stream a couple of weeks ago and it rained for 56 of the 60 minutes that I watched. I hate to use the word, but yes, I believe that the rain will be "balanced."

Having said that, I sounds to me that the OP was complaining about the existence of rain, not the frequency, or volume of rain. To that I say, if you remove the survival challenges, you no longer have a survival game. A quick browse through these other replies confirms my view that the rain is not an insurmountable challenge, regardless of frequency, or volume. Learn to improvise, adapt and overcome!

• Like 2

Maybe it might be a little harsh, but it is pretty true to real life,

Go for a walk in the piss-arse rain for 1 hour and tell me you are "dry", even wearing a raincoat does not fully protect you from getting wet in real life, as you would need waterproof trousers and shoes ;)  ,

Maybe we need to have more choice of waterproof clothing to suit the fresh spawn characters, but I personally love the challenge of having to find a rain coat on a rainy server :) since its the whole fight for survival thing 'n' all / zombies (cough) lol

• Like 3

I watched a friend's stream a couple of weeks ago and it rained for 56 of the 60 minutes that I watched. I hate to use the word, but yes, I believe that the rain will be "balanced."

Having said that, I sounds to me that the OP was complaining about the existence of rain, not the frequency, or volume of rain. To that I say, if you remove the survival challenges, you no longer have a survival game. A quick browse through these other replies confirms my view that the rain is not an insurmountable challenge, regardless of frequency, or volume. Learn to improvise, adapt and overcome!

i think if they implement a few more options for rain gear it would make things a bit better. rain/water repellent jackets come in a million different colours, many of which are camo. hunting jackets are almost always water proof. same with the pants. 

10mins late on rogershrubs post lol looks what happens when you tend to a baby while posting!

Edited by cash81

I partly agree, as you can get wet running from one building to another, in matter of seconds. But while you can get wet easily, it already looks like the effect is reduced greatly. Maybe even too much.

The other day I swam to prison island and spent an hour running around the place trying to find matches. From the gear I had on while swimming there I only changed jacket, and the one I found was already wet, likely another swimmer had left it there. Waited for another hour in hopes someone else would come, and give me the opportunity to ask or rob some matches. But no one came and it kept raining more, so as there was no way to improve my condition I decided to swim back on mainland. When I hit the land I was already red freezing, and hungry too. I managed to find food from Kamenka, no matches but it stopped raining and after a while I was already okay.

The thing is, I swam in cold water, felt "drenched" and cold for hours, but I got back to dry & normal level just by running around in dry weather - and without making a fire. Earlier, like in patch .54 or .55 I would have died to hypothermia. As a hiker I know you don't get wet that easily just by walking around in slight rain and if you do, you still can keep warm by just keeping yourself on the move. Of course it's smart to change to dry clothes and warm by the fire in given chance, but rain is just rain, it's not a killer. But as I do sailing, I also know that jumping into cold seawater in autumn is not the greatest idea, as heat is lost much more quickly in water than in air. Getting hypothermic in water can happen in matter of minutes, it only depends how cold water is. And seawater in autumn can be pretty damn cold.

So, in reality it's okay if you get a little wet in rain and do nothing about it, but swimming is another thing. At the moment there's no difference, getting wet by slight rain and by swimming in seawater have  the same effect. While the other is exaggerated the other is diminished. If they want to project reality the devs would have to change this.

• Like 2

Maybe it might be a little harsh, but it is pretty true to real life,

Go for a walk in the piss-arse rain for 1 hour and tell me you are "dry", even wearing a raincoat does not fully protect you from getting wet in real life, as you would need waterproof trousers and shoes ;)  ,

Maybe we need to have more choice of waterproof clothing to suit the fresh spawn characters, but I personally love the challenge of having to find a rain coat on a rainy server :) since its the whole fight for survival thing 'n' all / zombies (cough) lol

Agree, I would love to see rain ponchos, especially in camo. You can pack them easily in small compartment, but I prefer them to coats.

http://www.puddlezrainponchos.co.uk/sm_uploaded_files/product_images/16.1.jpg

• Like 1

i think if they implement a few more options for rain gear it would make things a bit better. rain/water repellent jackets come in a million different colours, many of which are camo. hunting jackets are almost always water proof. same with the pants. 

10mins late on rogershrubs post lol looks what happens when you tend to a baby while posting!

I'm sure that it has been suggested a thousand times before and since, but I was lobbying for a poncho. No, not a "man with no name" poncho (although that would be fun - albeit out of place), but a water proof military style poncho. They could spawn in black, OD, and of course various camo patterns.

To your point, I think that it would be fun to cut back on the spray paint a wee bit and spawn a few spray cans containing waterproof fabric spray. We could spray/protect any outfit (and boots) that we like, but the effectiveness of the protection would deteriorate over time, necessitating follow-up applications of the spray. While spray paint is largely cosmetic, fabric spray would actually be useful.

• Like 2

This might sound silly at first, but I think umbrellas could be interesting, especially if you needed them to keep your weapon dry and in trim firing condition.

• Like 1

The DayZ environment needs to have so many effects to game-play that it encourages players to think critically and change their behaviour in response. Ignoring the rain and continuing the same pattern of running around and looting needs to be seriously detrimental, not just to your character's health, but everything else as well, all your inventory; weapons, clothing, food, ammunition, etc.

Just adding more ways to waterproof stuff will inevitably lead to less behavioural changes, so I'm completely against having too much waterproofed gear.

• Like 2

Rain isn't that big of a deal but I do hate how wearing certain clothing is just basically pointless.  I used to like to always wear check shirts, now if I do and I'm running around in the sun I still get cold and eventually the shakes.  It just ends up being boring.  In general the clothing options are super boring because the military stuff is just flat out better than everything else, and since people are robots they just go for whatever has the most slots/best "stats."  The end result is 90% of people are running around in military stuff and look nearly identical.

It might be realistic but it's snoozers.

• Like 2