k3ny0n

First PC build.

Hi,

I am pretty new to gaming and have put together a build to start getting in to DayZ.

My experience with putting together a build is very limited so I am just wondering for some advice on this build I have put together.

I know with my budget of £700 I am not expecting miracles but want something to get me going and maybe uprage in the future so here it is, Any advice would be greatful.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Storage: Western digital Hard Drive 1TB

Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 970

Case: NZXT S340 Case

Power supply: Corsair CX 600W

Ive put the build on to http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WTYdhM

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rob.

It is a solid build, don't worry. For that kind of money you still get a better PC than the majority.

However - one thing to keep in mind:

do you already have all peripherals? This includes Monitor (1080p, if lower no point in that kind of hardware), mouse, keyboard.

Also - if you can manage to get together about 60 quid more, you should get yourself an SSD, well worth the money, especially for DayZ. I wouldn't bother replacing the HDD with an SSD, as you'll need both (for storage reasons - you'll only get a 250GB SSD for 60 quid, max.)

Do you mean a better build than majority of people?

Thanks for your quick reply by the way,

Peripherals are coming out on another budget in another pay month, but I will be getting a 1080p monitor.

I'm in no rush to get started so a SSD would very much be an option in the future.

Apart from adding to this build (SSD ect) would you change anything? By that I mean have I over spent on any item were I could get a cheaper option and still do the same job?

Rob.

Do you mean a better build than majority of people?

Thanks for your quick reply by the way,

Peripherals are coming out on another budget in another pay month, but I will be getting a 1080p monitor.

I'm in no rush to get started so a SSD would very much be an option in the future.

Apart from adding to this build (SSD ect) would you change anything? By that I mean have I over spent on any item were I could get a cheaper option and still do the same job?

Rob.

It looks like a solid build. That processor and GPU are great in combination with each other. Kichi is right, though. At this stage of development, a SSD will do more for DayZ performance, than a GTX970. Just don't be disappointed the first time that you fire up DayZ on this rig and you only get 20FPS. The devs have made great strides in improving server performance, but we won't see much in the way of client optimization, until we reach the beta stage.

Thanks for the replies, I would plan on getting the Corsair H100i GTX cooler on the future if I do decide to overclock.

So from your replies I think I will be going ahead and start to get these items, I very much look forward to the building aspect.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

Also - if you can manage to get together about 60 quid more, you should get yourself an SSD, well worth the money, especially for DayZ. 

Are you speaking from experience here? Switching from a 5200RPM WD Caviar Green to Samsung 850 EVO hardly made a difference for DayZ (things weren't bad at all using HDD). The difference for Windows in general was huge, though, and I of course suggest to go with an SSD, but don't expect it to make much difference for DayZ.

Edited by Powerhouse

I am not going to go into details now, because it is a long argument, but fast drives can improve FPS. Now, keep in mind that some HDD's are on the same performance level than cheap SSD's.

Judging from the other parts he chose, there's no chance that his selected WD HDD would cause lower FPS than an SSD.

The prices SSD are based around at the moment don't merit not getting an SSD.

Good choice of CPU, board, and video card. I have a similar Gigabyte board and love the dual BIOS and "ultra durable" construction.

Your list just says "CX600" for the power supply, but I recommend going for the CX600M specifically. The "M" stands for modular, meaning you only plug in the power lines that you need instead of having to tie-off or hide a bunch of extra unused wires (with the exception being the main power cables that any board requires).

Thanks for the replies, I would plan on getting the Corsair H100i GTX cooler on the future if I do decide to overclock.

Majorly overkill, and more importantly the case you chose doesn't have a proper mounting point for the radiator used by the H100 (it's essentially two 120mm fan slots next to one another). If you feel the need to go with a closed-loop cooling setup, a single or "sandwiched" radiator setup like the H60 or H80 would probably be plenty.

This. Also, a half-decent setup like this deserves it in my opinion. That's like buying a brand new car and finding out you only get three full-sized tires and one skinny "spare" -- yeah, you can drive the car, but you're needlessly limiting yourself.

As someone who mostly consumes media via streaming, I don't feel the need to have 1TB+ of space available to me at all times so maybe I'm biased, but I'd rather have the 250GB SSD now and buy a larger HDD later when I decide I need more space. I generate a couple hundred MB worth of screenshots every time I play DayZ, and I've done just fine managing 250GB of space in the last ~7 months.

Edited by Tatanko

Are you speaking from experience here? Switching from a 5200RPM WD Caviar Green to Samsung 850 EVO hardly made a difference for DayZ (things weren't bad at all using HDD). The difference for Windows in general was huge, though, and I of course suggest to go with an SSD, but don't expect it to make much difference for DayZ.

From my own personal experience - switching to an SSD rather than a hard-drive will not increase your FPS in Arma or DayZ but it will reduce load times and cause the game to run more smoothly and is definitely worth doing.

One of the main changes I noticed was a huge reduction in texture pop-ins and stuttering when using the zoom function.

Tatanko, thanks for the advice. I had the CX 600M in I just forgot to add the M on my original post. As for the cooler I will be getting the H60 from your mention of it.

Just a quick one regarding pcpartpicker, I would of gone ahead and bought the h100 even though it said all parts were compatible and I would of been none the wiser so thanks for the comments above.

Rob.

Just a quick one regarding pcpartpicker, I would of gone ahead and bought the h100 even though it said all parts were compatible and I would of been none the wiser so thanks for the comments above.

I think PCPartPicker only checks for "technical" compatibility, meaning whether or not something will actually function properly when you plug it in. Cases probably aren't part of that check process, even though it's just as important that everything fit in the case. Technically the H100 is compatible with your setup functionally, there's just nowhere to mount the radiator on that case.

Maybe a different case is in order? I definitely think you should pick what you like, but I'm willing to have a look around if you're open-minded and can give me a list of your criteria.

I recommend SSD even just for the Operating System. It's really that much enjoyable when you can re/start your computer in seconds.

Definitely. I think it's funny hearing the, "Ugh" from people I'm playing with when I tell them a game crashed or something and I have to restart, only to have them go, "WTF?" when I'm back in the game 20 seconds later after a full system restart   :lol: I don't even have fast boot turned on, it would only save me maybe another second or two at most.

Edited by Tatanko

Either you have to buy another mainboard or another CPU. If you buy the Intel Core I5-4690K than you have to buy a "Z97" not a "H97" mainboard, because you can't overclock a K-CPU with an H-mainboard.

If you want to buy the H-mainboard, you can buy the I5-4690(without a K) or a Intel Xeon 1231v3. (<- in this case I prefer the Xeon because of hyperthreading; HT adds four more logical!, not physical, cores for a better performance in multithreading)

K-CPU + Z-mainboard = OC

non K-CPU + H- (or B-) mainboard = NON OC

Edited by xCAPx

You did say that SSD is worth the money especially for DayZ, which is not the case at all. Like I said I suggest an SSD myself, so I'm not really sure what point are you trying to get accross.

Double negatives:

"Double negatives are two negative words used in the same sentence. Using two negatives turns the thought or sentence into a positive one. Double negatives are not encouraged in English because they are poor grammar and they can be confusing; but, they are sometimes used in song lyrics and informal speech."

Edited by B@ker

Double negatives:

"Double negatives are two negative words used in the same sentence. Using two negatives turns the thought or sentence into a positive one. Double negatives are not encouraged in English because they are poor grammar and they can be confusing; but, they are sometimes used in song lyrics and informal speech."

Well, over here in Germany, the land of the poets and thinkers, a double negative is actually a rhetorical construct that can be used to make a point and is the exact opposite of "poor grammar".

Well, over here in Germany, the land of the poets and thinkers, a double negative is actually a rhetorical construct that can be used to make a point and is the exact opposite of "poor grammar".

This is what i get when i try to help, sass.