boneboys

Status Report - 09 Sept

This is what gives many of us here a big headache. It could easily sway DayZ into the wrong direction - making it fancy for streams and kills, but less functional as a sandbox. There is so many different guns in the game now, but too little apart from shooting. I honestly do not think that any PvP elements should in the focus of development these days - PvP is the only thing that works smoothly so far, with the natural consequences.

No, I can guarantee you that there is no "easy" way of swaying the team to deviate from their vision of DayZ :) The first community scrums where PvP oriented players are attending does not mean that work on the PvE elements neither has stopped nor will stop. As Brian mentions, once we gauge the results of the program, we'll start "...looking into expanding it to evangelists of the Survivalist type gameplay as well."

What I could imagine is the deal, is that since there are currently numerous issues and elements still missing and being developed related to the PvE experience in DayZ, it would be a bit easier to start with the PvP oriented players since, as you also kind of mention, PvP is most likely a bit easier to jump into with the current state of DayZ.

• Like 3

No, I can guarantee you that there is no "easy" way of swaying the team to deviate from their vision of DayZ :) The first community scrums where PvP oriented players are attending does not mean that work on the PvE elements neither has stopped nor will stop. As Brian mentions, once we gauge the results of the program, we'll start "...looking into expanding it to evangelists of the Survivalist type gameplay as well."

What I could imagine is the deal, is that since there are currently numerous issues and elements still missing and being developed related to the PvE experience in DayZ, it would be a bit easier to start with the PvP oriented players since, as you also kind of mention, PvP is most likely a bit easier to jump into with the current state of DayZ.

Could this mean down the road it expanding into the Zombie Hunter type gameplay as well?

• Like 2

If this first event creates new/better outcomes, ideas and directions for the Dev's, then surely it won't be considered a waste of time, and they'll expand the scope to different areas of the game. I'd expect there's enough variety for pretty much any category you like; hermits, medics, zombie hunters, hikers, vehicle mechanics, drivers, pilots, engineers, farmers. It's almost endless.

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but started playing DayZ again with .58

It's coming back!! Makes me really happy. Persistence is a bit buggy but it's given this old lone wolf a lot of joy already.

I would really like to hear a more detailed account of the zed situation at some point. I play as a survivalist, hoarder, etc. most of the time. The zeds are extremely important to my play style as I don't go looking for other players so they represent the only real threat that I face other than starvation or sickness which I would also like to see developed further. 

Anyway, here's to the forums! See you again in a few months.

Good to see more and more of the forum veterans returning ....and asking for zeds ;)

cheers

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

If this first event creates new/better outcomes, ideas and directions for the Dev's, then surely it won't be considered a waste of time, and they'll expand the scope to different areas of the game. I'd expect there's enough variety for pretty much any category you like; hermits, medics, zombie hunters, hikers, vehicle mechanics, drivers, pilots, engineers, farmers. It's almost endless.

I don't see how it could possibly be a waste of time.

I'm doing this on my free time, on the *weekend*.

I don't see how it could possibly be a waste of time.

I'm doing this on my free time, on the *weekend*.

I only meant that in a strictly business sense. If a project is not meeting its outcomes, then businesses tend to can that project fairly quickly. No-one can know the outcome before the event occurs.

Please don't get me wrong, I am very much in support of this initiative. I understand that PvP game-play is important to get balanced, and right now, you have a perfect opportunity to iron out the creases before PvE gets involved. Even if I tend to avoid this aspect of the game, for you to be trying to fine-tune it with the help of the more combat experienced players is inevitably going to work to everyone's benefit.

The fact you are doing this in your free time only highlights the incredible dedication you show to the DayZ community.

After quickly browsing some content by the "Combat Evangelists" I can't be the only person thinking this video should be required viewing before being allowed to participate in the scrum. Whether or not you agree with Dslyecxi I don't think anyone can argue that perspective doesn't influence combat.

Meh, I guess I'll check back in another six months or so to see if any design steps have been taken to bring back the intensity, and occasionally fear, that first attracted me to this game three years ago.

• Like 1

was this ever on the list?

It never left the list.

OK, I wonder who will be "survival evangelist" on next scrum. I dont know single one streamer that played survival/PVE style. There are few hardcore survival/PVE on forums, and maybe devs should contact them.

• Like 3

OK, I wonder who will be "survival evangelist" on next scrum. I dont know single one streamer that played survival/PVE style. There are few hardcore survival/PVE on forums, and maybe devs should contact them.

Streamers are, as you said, pretty universally focused on PvP. The one exception I can think of is Wobo, and he is only PvE in his educational videos. It comes with the territory of streaming, because PvE isn't really all that entertaining to watch (as satisfying as it may be to play that way on your own).

If they want to invite members of the community for a PvE discussion, it won't be streamers -- or I should say, it can't be streamers, not if they actually want to get useful feedback.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

There is awesome experimental community Hicks should consider! I mean, guys set up 30 tents without anyone getting killed.

• Like 5

I second this notion ... asking streamers for PvE improvements is like asking Saudi Arabia for opinions on women rights ...

• Like 1

Pendragon UK and Wobo are two good examples.

I second this notion ... asking streamers for PvE improvements is like asking Saudi Arabia for opinions on women rights ...

No one said streamers.

I said evangelists.

• Like 6

Pendragon UK and Wobo are two good examples.

No one said streamers.

I said evangelists.

we had some great people who can be evangelists for survival from that testing camp. lots of people. just say the word.

we had some great people who can be evangelists for survival from that testing camp. lots of people. just say the word.

Tatanko, BcBasher, ThurmanMerman come to my mind

• Like 1

It's very easy to thrive, let alone survive. There were times when the cle/loot were broken when it was like playing the long dark but generally I have rarely had to eat apples/berries, hunt or grow food. It's an amazing thing when you say to yourself "I think I'm going to die here" and then survive.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

What man has to do to qualify as "evangelist"? We are not youtubers. Only Tatanko makes content (high quality if you ask me). 

It's very easy to thrive, let alone survive. There were times when the cle/loot were broken when it was like playing the long dark but generally I have rarely had to eat apples/berries, hunt or grow food. It's an amazing thing when you say to yourself "I think I'm going to die here" and then survive.

I think many of us like this challenge - however, early 0.55 coincided with a drop in player numbers, so maybe they are somewhat scared to start over with an environment as challenging as that. I remember when, after many hours, I finally had a gun with a magazine to go with it. It was an SKS and it felt like christmas and easter on a day. Have been killed by a zombie when drinking from a pond - I would have died had I not drunk, I have died by a zombie by drinking. It was a great experience and it felt like survival.

After early 0.55 the environment was only for sightseeing, but no challenge at all. Horticulture or huntin were not needed, guns were like smarties - but I am hopeful, since the devs said that the game will be tougher again with time.

• Like 1

What man has to do to qualify as "evangelist"? We are not youtubers. Only Tatanko makes content (high quality if you ask me). 

True - WoBo sounds like a good idea (the only dedicated youtuber coming to my mind for the survival part), Tatanko would also be a great addition, ThurmanMerman is also a dedicated tester and could give some input for sure. BcBasher is probably one of the most hardcore hermits out there from what I read on the boards.

• Like 1

Tatanko is creating Video? i didn;t know i just watched all his screenshots (if yes, a link would be nice). anyway i was gonna suggest tatanko too. he was so dedicated to testing in the Camp, even till last few minutes. 

He is not creating videos. But his screenshots are content as well. Once we have more content in game, he can make guides with pictures. He made guide for hunting.