Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Rocket's contribution

Get up and leave he did not.
Into space he did.
Put Zombies in he did, because zombies...

rocket
Posted September 2011
Developed over the last two years, the Revolution system is a persistent world game mode, linked to a MySQL database and website. Recognizes players and logs them in each time. It is using JayArmA2Lib and named pipes together with a custom developed Console app.

We are most amused.

• Like 3

Get up and leave he did not.

Into space he did.

Put Zombies in he did, because zombies...

rocket

Posted September 2011

Developed over the last two years, the Revolution system is a persistent world game mode, linked to a MySQL database and website. Recognizes players and logs them in each time. It is using JayArmA2Lib and named pipes together with a custom developed Console app.

We are most amused.

with-it-you-shall-deal-yoda.jpg

• Like 4

He went off like a 'Rocket' to develop a space game.

It's all written in the pre-planning, the clues were already there.

I'm still trying to be optimistic that in the end it'll have the core features of good survival game and not get dumbed down too much to cater to the "majority". When all said and done I'll probably play on a LAN with my kids or by myself and mod it as I see fit to be the game I want it to be because fucking casuals always get what they want though.   

Fear not.  Even the devs know the modding scene will make easy mode donate2win for the masses of pvp skids.  The devs are free to do what they wish as long as they have their highwaters on.

• Like 4

Interestingly I heard he's pestering bi to release mod tools asap.

That would be great! I searched this forum for Mod/modding info a few weeks ago and the main modding thread is locked and the others not really helpful. It should be pretty similar to Arma modding, however, it would not make much sense to prototype on Arma's tools and then do it all again when the mod is released. I'm very interested in creating a small US-prototype map in a sub-urban area. I expect a small map for a US-scenario will evolve, in the end. Unfortuntately the game engine isn't really made for extensive indoor enironments, so I'd like to start early with the modding, for testing. I can do all hard-surface related work and environments, as well as the textures; animations if I have to. no coding ;)

However, modding an Alpha is probably unheard of, and I don't expect us to get modding tools, until much, much later. Bohemia could make a docmentary about their current toolsets in use though and give us some insight about what we can do when modding. I'd really like to get a tour of their editors, which I presume are advanced versions of Arma's tools. Makes me kinda happy that Rocket is annoying them about it ;)

Edited by S3V3N

I wouldn't be too surprised, if he was working on something else, but last I heard is he wanted to found his own studio. What didn't work out, or why haven't we heard from him, since?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/248262/Dean_Hall_on_his_losing_battle_with_the_New_Zealand_government.php

In a nutshell, he went all "I'M A GRENADE, GRENADES DON'T PAY MINIMUM WAGES!" on the government. The government was not impressed.

He then invested some millions to have another company based in UK develop ION for him:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dean-halls-next-game-is-ion-an-emergent-narrative-mmo/

It's inspired by Space Station 13 and games like Space Engineers and Kerbal. Rocket is credited as "creator". Not sure how involved he really is with the development of the game, but he's pretty active on the ION reddit.

Edited by derLoko

I'm still puzzled, why someone would leave a project like Dayz, which is really quite a unique development and one that few other studios besides Bohemia would have tackled. Especially when you had to fight to make it happen and to stay on top of it all. 

I think it is highly unusual that Rocket - who had a lot to say about the game at the start - simply vanishes from this development and has not been actively engaged for almost two years now. I wouldn't be too surprised, if he was working on something else, but last I heard is he wanted to found his own studio. What didn't work out, or why haven't we heard from him, since?

I can imagine his name being affiliated with Dayz in the future, but I think he deconstructed his own legend by leaving like that. It's a bit disappointing to me.

So why would anyone leave a game they invented in the first place? If he had a new + better idea I'd partically understand the decision, but since we haven't heard from him in a while, I really wonder what happened and why the project went on as it is. Without its creator.

You're puzzled because your facts aren't straight. Hall didn't simply just vanish.

Everyone got the heads up in 2/2014 (SOURCE: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-step-down-as-leader-of-dayz).

Then he left late that year (SOURCE: http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7360349/dean-hall-launches-new-studio-promises-to-continue-helping-with-dayz).

Hall was active before leaving. Not sure how you get 2 years as its not even been a full year since he left. Its actually been around 9 months. He left because his work was done. Concept wise, DayZ is complete. Did Hall need to stay around until every line of code was written? He also laid out the reasoning behind his departure which was multi-faceted.

He actually did start his own company, Rocketwerkz. They had issues being in NZ with labor laws which he spent a bunch of money on trying to resolve. He lost the case and moved his studio to London I believe? (SOURCE: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/248262/Dean_Hall_on_his_losing_battle_with_the_New_Zealand_government.php)

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Hello there

Dont forget Dean never expected DAYZ to get as huge as it did and he had other things he wanted to do. (Climbing Everest, having a life outside of BI, visiting hobbits in NZ etc.)

Plus, he made a little cash and pursued his dreams. Its much better to run one's own project than be beholdent to other senior figures.

I'd tell you more about his project but im under evil NDA's and he would send his flying monkeys to devour me in the small hours.

Remember Dean is a "grenade" personality and needs his own room in which to "explode".

Dean was a driving force but he's set the course and I doubt the game will differ vastly from his own ideal.

TBH I probably would have buggered off as well, The C.R. might be nice but Blighty is where Im comfy at.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 3

I shouldn't be telling you this but Rocket's next game is about a tale of everyday Kiwi life called Shower With Your Sheep Simulator 2015.

You can trust me on this, I'm Australian.

• Like 6

he would send his flying monkeys to devour me in the small hours.

I would pay to watch this with great amusement.

Remember Dean is a "grenade" personality and needs his own room in which to "explode".

That's what she said? o.O

TBH I probably would have buggered off as well

What kind of bug would you be?

Dunn Holl fix gemh plz !!!

lofty ideas are one thing, delivering a interesting product another.

I fo one wait if his next project is worth it. Sounds interesting enough. I never understood the hype for him tho. Lots of PR quack ....

You read this right? http://rocketkiwi.tumblr.com/post/112515567676/dayz-made-me-a-great-deal-of-money

His unique contribution was to mod zombies into the game, which changed the Chernarus landscape into something you just saw as a strategic map for military simulation to a living country, or rather a country of the undead.

Not really, there were other zombie mods for ArmA before DayZ. And I'm not knocking him, I'd support his new game if I could.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

mk, picture this

you've spent years developing this awesome mod that everyone loves. It's entirely free, and you make it as a hobby.

You realize you can monetize it, and everyone starts clamoring for a standalone game. You tell them it isn't ready.

30% completed, pre alpha. The world is STILL bugging you for a game. You release it. Everyone says it's shit, because, surprise, it's unfinished.

He left because he was sick of DayZ. He's devoted years of his life to it, with little appreciation for it.

But it's still not cool that he left, taking millions of dollars with him and abandoning a project that HE pioneered. Honestly, Dean Hall made a decision that was good for himself, but shit for the community.

He was appreciated.  But then he began to breakdown and promise the moon when he had never actually made anything complete. 

• Like 1

Dunn Holl fix gemh plz !!!

lofty ideas are one thing, delivering a interesting product another.

I fo one wait if his next project is worth it. Sounds interesting enough. I never understood the hype for him tho. Lots of PR quack ....

He's interesting in that he has a more old school take on what makes a game fun.  In an industry full of hand holding, on rails games where the player is restricted from making his own mistakes at every turn he wants to make games that allow people to do what they want.  He thinks emergent gameplay trumps scripted events.

His ideas aren't unique or new, it's just that he was put in a position where for the first time in years they were recognized as still being what a lot of people want.

• Like 1

I think there is nothing revolutinarly to come in DayZ that we havent seen in original mod or varius sub-mods. Everything that will be in SA on release just needs to be transfered to new engined and more detailed. That is why he left. He wants to make new game, not to watch grass growing (SA develepment).

I saw he likes "different" games, and I dont know his old projects so Im interested how will his new game look like.

Honestly none of the official replies or those calling me am idiot for not googling myself provide a decent enough explanation. Some people seemingly don't want to understand the question. I am fully aware that Rocket is alive and doing other stuff. So am I. Yet there is no reason in the world to completely withdraw from a project you put so much love and labor into. You can do two or more things at a time, you know? It is decent and "normal" for me to believe that he would still be interested enough to visit this forum from time to time or post something related to Dayz elsewhere. It seems like he build a wall around himself and Dayz is staying out of it for good. Nobody thinks that's odd but me. I'm not saying he should be actively developing it, but taking and showing an interest. 

Edited by S3V3N

Honestly none of the official replies or those calling me am idiot for not googling myself provide a decent enough explanation. Some people seemingly don't want to understand the question. I am fully aware that Rocket is alive and doing other stuff. So am I. Yet there is no reason in the world to completely withdraw from a project you put so much love and labor into. You can do two or more things at a time, you know? It is decent and "normal" for me to believe that he would still be interested enough to visit this forum from time to time or post something related to Dayz elsewhere. It seems like he build a wall around himself and Dayz is staying out of it for good. Nobody thinks that's odd but me. I'm not saying he should be actively developing it, but taking and showing an interest. 

Hello there

Dean does take an interest but has moved on.

Ive done this myself in my career. You start a project and then hand it over to a new team that runs with it but makes their own changes. One keeps an eye on things but its like an ex girlfriend you think of fondly You like to keep in touch but you dont want too many details.

Dean didnt disappear and is still in touch with many of us.

Does he post here often? No. Should he? well thats up to him but he has direct links to the devs so doesnt really need to. But just because we dont see the contact doent mean it isnt happening.

I do see your point and how it could appear to those not in the "know" though.

Rdgs

LoK

PS also if one is working with a company its also common if someone has left to remove all access and rights one had from the ex employee as essentially Dean could set himself up as a direct competitor. (not a great example in this case but a common buisiness thing.) IE *I* have access to areas Dean and Matt do not as they are no longer directly involved with the project. (unimportant areas btw)

Edited by orlok
  • Like 3

Hello there

*I* have access to areas Dean and Matt do not as they are no longer directly involved with the project. (unimportant areas btw)

Don't try and convince us the Lambo warehouse is unimportant!

05__CD__Lamborghini_car_dealership_build

• Like 4

Here's my theory.

I think Rocket had a vision for what DayZ should be, but others..including the studio didn't want DayZ to go that direction.

I feel that he wanted to make the game brutally hard, almost sim level. Doing this would obviously detour new players and drive away the some existing players, so I'm sure he got a lot of push back from the studio. So many people are making him out to be a bad guy that abandoned the project, but I think he chose to part ways for the above reason.

Here's my theory.

I think Rocket had a vision for what DayZ should be, but others..including the studio didn't want DayZ to go that direction.

I feel that he wanted to make the game brutally hard, almost sim level. Doing this would obviously detour new players and drive away the some existing players, so I'm sure he got a lot of push back from the studio. So many people are making him out to be a bad guy that abandoned the project, but I think he chose to part ways for the above reason.

Push back from a studio that is known for hardcore realistic and difficult military simulators with a game that had its majority of sales in the first few months and has major interest from, and releases confirmed for, the top 2 console manufacturers?  

That seems... incorrect.

• Like 1

Push back from a studio that is known for hardcore realistic and difficult military simulators with a game that had its majority of sales in the first few months and has major interest from, and releases confirmed for, the top 2 console manufacturers?  

That seems... incorrect.

I think there's a noticeable shift in BI to try to appeal to the mainstream.  ArmA 3 is a lot more arcadey than ArmA 2 was.  A lot of shift is coming to the SA as well.  Don't forget that initially the plan was to have no UI, and now they've gone 180 and are showing us mock ups for a UI with even more on screen than the mod had.  Besides that, there's a general subtle shift in the direction of development since Rocket has left.  There's become a lot more focus on trying to create a more specific experience, where as I think Rocket's approach was just introducing interesting mechanics/ideas to the game.

I think BI still leans more towards simulation than most mainstream games, and I don't necessarily agree with DanicaHamlin 100%, but it's not entirely unreasonable.  

I think there's a noticeable shift in BI to try to appeal to the mainstream.  ArmA 3 is a lot more arcadey than ArmA 2 was.  A lot of shift is coming to the SA as well.  Don't forget that initially the plan was to have no UI, and now they've gone 180 and are showing us mock ups for a UI with even more on screen than the mod had.  Besides that, there's a general subtle shift in the direction of development since Rocket has left.  There's become a lot more focus on trying to create a more specific experience, where as I think Rocket's approach was just introducing interesting mechanics/ideas to the game.

I think BI still leans more towards simulation than most mainstream games, and I don't necessarily agree with DanicaHamlin 100%, but it's not entirely unreasonable.  

I've not seen any UI mock ups presented by the devs other than the inventory screens.  I still don't see a health, stamina, or ammo bar which would represent the UI Rocket didn't want.

Feel free to clarify what you think the shift in direction of development is.  I've not seen any but I suffer from the reputation of being a "fanboy" in the eyes of various e-pals because I still follow this game like a hawk and still believe the team will deliver.  So explain if you can.

I also don't see any focus on creating a specific experience other than the one rocket set forth and the one the game was meant to have.  I've read complaints like that before but they were mostly targeted at moving people off the coast... because the best loot wasn't found inland in the mod.  :/ (sarcastic smiley)

I've not seen any UI mock ups presented by the devs other than the inventory screens.  I still don't see a health, stamina, or ammo bar which would represent the UI Rocket didn't want.

Feel free to clarify what you think the shift in direction of development is.  I've not seen any but I suffer from the reputation of being a "fanboy" in the eyes of various e-pals because I still follow this game like a hawk and still believe the team will deliver.  So explain if you can.

I also don't see any focus on creating a specific experience other than the one rocket set forth and the one the game was meant to have.  I've read complaints like that before but they were mostly targeted at moving people off the coast... because the best loot wasn't found inland in the mod.  :/ (sarcastic smiley)

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224386-dayz-sa-hud-concept/

Stamina bar is a part of it.  No ammo or health bar at least, but there is a lot of information there.  I was not a fan of the inventory mockup either, as it also was giving a lot more information than necessary.  We also haven't heard anything in regards to going with the plan of not showing ammo counts at all, and having to manually check your mags.  Not that it means that idea is scrapped, and of course it's not a priority, but little things like that seem to have taken a back seat imo.

It's a bit hard to clarify specifics of why I feel that way about development, as it's a lot of subtle things over the course of the last year or so.  The last point you bring up is one of them imo.  I agree that the better loot should be inland, and map flow was something I brought up even early on in development when they decided to make Balota full of military grade loot and put a spawn on it.  However, it seems really forced the way they are trying to get people off the coast, because it's not restricted to just putting the "higher end" gear inland, they are creating scenarios where the coast just becomes all but barren of loot.  That's a really forced way to get people to move from the coast, rather than letting progression happen more "naturally" by player motivation alone (like the mod).

In the mod we had players who were happy to stay on the coast, and I really don't see a problem with that.  So forcing scenarios where you have to move from the coast is what I'm talking about in trying to force a more specific experience.  I'm not going to bother to look up the direct quote, but at one point Hicks said players need to get off the coast to "start experiencing the real DayZ."  That sort of thinking really rubs me the wrong way, because the team shouldn't be trying to dictate to me what the "real" dayz experience is, that should be up to me in a sandbox.

I do think a lot of the problem there though is just an incomplete loot system still.  They released a map with an intended design of how loot "tiers" should work and I agree with it.

Essentially what it comes down to for me personally is that I believe Rocket had a vision, even if it wasn't clear or perfect, and like anything at all, when some one else takes over, no matter how clear you try to make your idea, it's going to shift.  I think overall, it's still roughly on track, but they just need to be careful that all the little things don't add up.

Actually to add one more thing.  I think part of the problem with the development is that they don't actually seem to have a real grasp on what they want the game to actually be.  It seems like there's a bit of a lack of real leadership among the team any more, and it's just bouncing ideas off each other.  Which isn't necessarily bad (but leads to stuff like the UI mockup) but goes back to what I was saying, about how at least with Rocket there was some sort of goal he had in mind.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 2