schwaBAM

<< = The Helpy Helpers: For Mercy or Mayhem >> - 208.167.250.211:2302

Edited 06/29/2016: New server is   << = The Helpy Helpers: For Mercy or Mayhem >> - 208.167.250.211:2302

***We have had more more people joining lately and decided to change the name a month or two back.  If you want to get in touch with any of the admins you can do so on the forums here; schwaBAM, Eno, ColdAtrophy, and DaveB.

No wiping - period.  No kicking unless caught hacking or duping (we do not kick for our benefit).  All are welcome to use this server for your camps.  We will make notes in the server messages if anything is to change to give you a heads up so that you can move your stuff if need be.

Original post:
On 8/29/2015 at 6:00 PM, schwaBAM said:

I got sick of being kicked from servers upon joining and/or randomly (mostly on lower pops, but I noticed on a couple of different servers that 15+ people were being kicked).

That won't happen on this server.  

Edit - Also, apparently there is a lot of discussion about admins being able to "wipe" the server persistence.  I am not 100% if this is possible but this will also not happen on this server.

Edited by schwaBAM
Updated
  • Like 5

I'm going to bump this since I'm reading a lot about this problem occurring again. I think it happens mostly right after wipes- folks buy one month to get themselves geared up, then distribute their gear onto other servers and then dump their own. 

This creates a bit of a problem for those of you looking for a place to set up shop- always rolling the dice with whether or not the server owners are going to pull the plug after a month. 

Well- there are a few of us (including Schwab, DaveB, ColdAtrophy) who are just as tired of this as you are. In August we started sharing the expense of a public server and have really enjoyed it. We are nicely set up in this server and moving to another would be a gross inconvenience- we should know since we recently had to do it because of a server side issue (gameservers, Chicago server.) 

We're back up on a NY based server and performance has never been better. 

You may have seen our stories in "How was your DayZ?" in the new player discussion forum... We try to enjoy the game from boundary to boundary- work very hard to give everyone a fair chance during our encounters and would like to think we run the server in a similar fashion. When we had to move, we made sure everyone had lots of time and engaged our regulars to make sure they understood... It's about being fair and respectful since we know it's your time, too. 

Anyway- This is technically like every other public server out there and there are literally hundreds to choose from- the difference is we wanted a server that we would know would be there for the long haul. If you're looking for something similar, then please feel free and come on in! 

Please note that the address in the subject line is no longer accurate. Refer to our banners for the proper server address. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 3

Hopped on and set up my first little public camp, thanks fellas.

• Like 3

Yeah I saw you in there vlad- if you want to meet up in the world just send us a pm- you too PCs.

Do be careful out there folks... just because we're nice doesn't mean that everyone is. We don't expect everyone to "play nice," and they won't- believe me. 

We lost DaveB, one of the server owners, to an encounter a few days ago- he was murdered in the bus he was driving between zelenegorsk and mishinko. The bus was then driven to the NWAF where it was abandoned. 3 individuals were involved in that transaction- just playing the game the way they wanted... And that's their prerogative. 

So a quick reminder- if it were all daisies and potpourri I guess it would be pretty boring.

It won't be boring.

• Like 2

Yeah I saw you in there vlad- if you want to meet up in the world just send us a pm- you too PCs.

Hey thanks eno, I might just do that next time I go public. But I do prefer things to play out organically, just makes things that much more interesting.

I did watch that helpy helpers vid, good shit there fellas. That's my general style too(when I'm not off prowling the deep north).

• Like 1

Wondering out loud... 

If we put out a "server hit list" is that "naming and shaming?" We can't boot people... but maybe we can put a ransom for gear out instead? Got a VSS and a couple mags up for grabs? 

And what about a "message of the day" with the names of all the people we want killed (in game of course). I mean, it's our server... right? I don't think it's against any particular rule- it's just role playing. 

• Like 1

Wondering out loud... 

If we put out a "server hit list" is that "naming and shaming?" We can't boot people... but maybe we can put a ransom for gear out instead? Got a VSS and a couple mags up for grabs? 

And what about a "message of the day" with the names of all the people we want killed (in game of course). I mean, it's our server... right? I don't think it's against any particular rule- it's just role playing. 

Names?  I'm growing bored of destroying half of the vehicles on your server on a weekly basis.   :lol:

Names?  I'm growing bored of destroying half of the vehicles on your server on a weekly basis.   :lol:

Oh- YOU'RE the reason we can still find any at all... 

Oh- YOU'RE the reason we can still find any at all... 

I'm testing the re-spawn position distributions--a euphemism for " fucking up everything I touch". Also, I may have run across a few stranded vehicles, recovered them, and then Cold sent them back your way over the past few weeks; I only cried about it a little.  PM me an inventory of vehicles known to you and your associates, and I'll see if I can free anything up/ locate any stragglers.  I feel like a couple of the other server regulars might not be deserving of transportation...

Yes... that fact has come up in our backstage messaging. I think it's time for a paddlin'

We've also noticed evidence of some pretty obvious duping- so even though we run the server with good intentions of course it doesn't stop the fucking asshats from coming in. Ah the joys of public servers.

Edited by ENO75

We've changed the name of the server- no particular reason other than to try and and draw more players in. The server is now called: 

<<  = THE HELPY HELPERS: FOR MERCY OR MAYHEM  >>

We experienced some pretty avid duping for awhile from about a dozen guys... strangely I banned two of them and never saw the rest again. Not sure if that's related or just a correlation / causation anomaly. We're also limited in how long we can see the logs for since they rewrite themselves after every server reset. 

We did stumble into a duper camp a couple weeks ago- complete with two M4s and a bunch of other high speed gear. We disassembled that camp and threw the M4s in the woods... but generally if we stumble into anyone's camp we may take a few things (as we'd expect someone to do if they found ours) but we'll leave it alone. We do our best to go about the running of the server honestly. 

I continue to read about public servers banning / kicking people on entry and I can guaranty that doesn't happen on this server. We'll also not kick / ban you for killing our members (cough Drew / A.friend cough). To be fair- Schwab and I were at the NWAF so we weren't expecting silk glove treatment there. We'd have killed them if we had the chance. 

We go through the logs regularly and look for suspicious behavior (and by suspicious for those of you who know what the duping behavior looks like, it's VERY obvious)... when we see the guys online we'll ban them when we get the chance but otherwise we just let people do their own thing. If we come across someone in the server we'll treat them like we treat anyone on any other server: Mercy or mayhem- whatever the situation calls for.  

Edited by eno
  • Like 4

Someone found my car that was stuffed with goodies. They did leave me a small protective case full of guts, bandages and a full syringe. I went north and took my frustration out on the infected at the NWAF. 

Wrong thread :-) It was on the Helpy servers though.

Edited by pcs305

Where did you leave your car? Leaving you with a case full of guts etc doesn't sound like our MO. A case with a note in it perhaps...

There was a note!!! I did not read it! (FacePalm) I have 600 hours of Dayz and have seen a lot of notes with nothing on it so I'm in the habit of ignoring them. I dropped the note, bones, guts and syringe and used the case. Dammit I can kick myself.

The car was in the woods east of Pogorevka. I had it there for a while now. 

My in-game name is Googlebot btw.

On 3/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, pcs305 said:

There was a note!!! I did not read it! (FacePalm) I have 600 hours of Dayz and have seen a lot of notes with nothing on it so I'm in the habit of ignoring them. I dropped the note, bones, guts and syringe and used the case. Dammit I can kick myself.

The car was in the woods east of Pogorevka. I had it there for a while now. 

My in-game name is Googlebot btw.

Oh okay... I've seen you in there quite a few times. 

Unfortunately I can see on our action map that we did steal a sedan from there. I'm not going to offer to give it back since that's not how DayZ works but I do have a copy of the note that was left in your absence since we generally share these things within our group: 

HERE

While I didn't think the guts etc was in our MO... that ALONG WITH a note is closer to where we'll trend. If it means anything to you I think it was donated to another guy who turned out to be okay. If you want to work a little closer to our group then let us know and we'll try to coordinate our actions a little closer. If you want to stay rogue in the server that's fine too since that's part of the fun. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

LOL. No I know this is how the game is played. It's what keeps things interesting.

Thanks for the server though, I really enjoy playing on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcs305 said:

LOL. No I know this is how the game is played. It's what keeps things interesting.

I'll be happy to ransom the car back to you, though I haven't checked in on it in a day or so.  I already have a barrel stuffed with cooked meat, a tent full of pelts, cases of grenades and .308 ammo, and at least one of each type of weapon, so you'll have to be creative ; )

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pcs305 said:

It's great to see some regulars in there enjoying the security of setting up their stuff knowing they're not going to get kicked or the server reset for opportunistic reasons. We've had some glitches in the past as you may have noticed on the message of the day but generally gameservers has been supportive. 

8 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I'll be happy to ransom the car back to you, though I haven't checked in on it in a day or so.  I already have a barrel stuffed with cooked meat, a tent full of pelts, cases of grenades and .308 ammo, and at least one of each type of weapon, so you'll have to be creative ; )

I don't have anything to trade at this moment but that's OK.  My priced possesion is a VSS-ZH (Zomby Hunter :) ) and it's worth more than a car to me.

My next mission is to go on a bus tour. So I'm going to start working on that. I will keep you posted.

(My play time is fairly limited so it may take awhile) 

1 hour ago, eno said:

It's great to see some regulars in there enjoying the security of setting up their stuff knowing they're not going to get kicked or the server reset for opportunistic reasons. We've had some glitches in the past as you may have noticed on the message of the day but generally gameservers has been supportive. 

Yeah I lost a barrel I had south of Vybor due to the glitch. Being a drifter living off of what I can carry, that is no big deal. I'm an opportunistic hoarder. If I find a barrel, tent or car I will use it and place it just to make life easy if I have to re-spawn.

Thanks for notifying us! 

4 hours ago, pcs305 said:

I don't have anything to trade at this moment but that's OK.  My priced possesion is a VSS-ZH (Zomby Hunter :) ) and it's worth more than a car to me.

My next mission is to go on a bus tour. So I'm going to start working on that. I will keep you posted.

(My play time is fairly limited so it may take awhile) 

Well, I might be able to settle for some fresh vegetables.  I also have some info on where you might be able to find a bus that is already put together.  I plan on taking a truck to knock it off a rock wall later today.

Going to bump this in hopes that Bam at some point updates the Initial Post with the current name. The playhouse is alive and well under the name << = The Helpy Helpers: For Mercy or Mayhem >>

We have, however, been having some trouble getting it to show up in the server browser. It takes a few clicks of refresh before it shows up... Not sure what that's about. If you'd like to remote in please use the following details: 

208.167.250.211   Port: 2302

The public domain remains a little difficult to play the game out the way it was intended. Many servers are still frequently kicking people to protect their stashes and server resets (I don't mean restarts, I mean actual loot resets) to loot regen are common. While our public domain is in its design the same as every other public hive, with the same amount of loot and same level of admin privileges, we don't try and pretend it's our own cheap private shard. Everyone is welcome to come in, kill us, stash their stuff... head off to high pops and do whatever they're going to do and come back to grab more gear. Whatever- it's public and that's the way the meta has shifted. We'd rather people stay and play... but also recognize the idea of stashing gear on a low pop is safer than trying to stash it on a 50/50. 

The server has been up since August and isn't going anywhere any time soon. Our Helpy Helper's group has been growing steadily as we encounter more folks who share our desire to help or hinder as the situation calls for. We all enjoy the additional challenge of actual interaction and also thrive in the chaos of a firefight. We cherish the sense of uncertainty as the server population climbs. We'd rather promote the atmosphere of a private shard by having randoms and regulars alike coming in to survive in our server by choice instead of stashing and dashing to other high pops for a fight.

We've seen a growing number of regulars... probably killed a few and been killed by a few- even talked to a few. We'd like to continue to promote the use of the server within the forums on the off chance that we get the right balance of fight and flighters in the server pop to balance the game out the way we think makes it the most fun to play. 

To those of you who have taken up residence, please drop us a note in here! Maybe we can set up a "cold" zone reunion this weekend or something? 

• Like 2