Sign in to follow this  
blacktwin0

.58 survival progression was amazing last night.

I started off with the normal rag and flare. Rag goes on my arm to save inventory. I end up finding 3 matches and two cans of food. Nothing to open them. It's night time and raining. Getting cold, wet, and starving. Find a patch of rocks and search for the perfect rock to eventually make into a stone knife. With stone knife in hand I open one can of food. Inv: 1 can, 1 flare, 3 matches, one stone knife in hand. I want to keep the flare as a sure way to start a fire or for traveling in the dark. I find a tree and cut away some bark and cut down a branch. I carry my wooden supplies inside and drop them on the floor and collect another branch and bark. I cut up the branches into 3 sticks. 1 stick and 1 piece of bark and I have a fireplace. I place the fireplace in chimney of the house and craft a hand-drill, don't want to waste my matches. Added more sticks to the fireplace and worked that hand-drill. I look upon my nice comfy, cozy, warming fire as I finish my second can of food. The rain subsides and I am ready to head out.

It felt so good to be able to find so little but have it make so much of a difference to my survival.

I eventually have to farm apples for a little before I find a sweater. I also end up finding a couple dresses. Dresses can be cut into rags which yield 6 rags. 2 stacks of 6 rags and you can make improvised rope. I meet with a friend who has a burlap sack. The rest is in the bag.

• Like 6

Sounds like an amazing time, dude. Farming apples is the best, amirite?

No, but seriously. It is nice they have added so many survival mechanics. All of this would be so much better if barricading was implemented as well so we could build safehouses.

Edited by scriptfactory

My survival experience was finding a bag of bell pepper seeds, planting them.  Eating 10 of them but still being yellow hungry but now stuffed to the point of wanting to vomit because I had hydrated first.

Forcing myself to throw up, so I could start eating over.  Eating another 12+ bell peppers (I am not exaggerating) to get to non hungry.

Then just going and looting cars instead.

Food/hunger is ridiculous in terms of how fast you get hungry vs how much you have to eat.

Edited by Bororm

Food/hunger is ridiculous in terms of how fast you get hungry vs how much you have to eat.

Its not just how much you eat, but what the, hmmmm, "nutritional content" of the food is. Each type of food (beans, bacon, tomatoes, peppers, fish, etc) has a different amount of calories and hydration. Just cause your stomach is stuffed doesn't mean you aren't hungry. Hunger is based on calories in game, not just amount you eat. Hope this helps.

It's good to see other players appreciating the core of DayZ.

So many folks care way too much about guns and ammo and their rarity.

Wait until someone comes along and kos you, and you have to start all over again.

The novelty of 'survival' will have worn off after the 8th or 9th time.

Wait until someone comes along and kos you, and you have to start all over again.

The novelty of 'survival' will have worn off after the 8th or 9th time.

If you are smart about surviving its not that hard to avoid the rampant kos. Hell I traveled across the entire map last night on an almost full server and not a single killer knew I was there looting in the towns they were hanging in. First person only servers do make it a lot easier to sneak around tho. For example, the second truck that came by me on my travels parked right on the other side of a small stone wall I was hiding behind and since they couldn't wall peek they never knew I was there until I was long gone. When they started looting houses up the street I put my axe to their tires then got the hell out of town before they could spot me.

• Like 3