Sign in to follow this  
Shiva_O

Ok, so all that seems to happen in this patch...

In real life I have good responsiveness on my movements, I don't stumble on walls (interiors in DayZ and ARMA are true nightmare fuels) and its kinda easy to get through doors you know, also I don't feel like walls have magnets and I'm made out of metal, etc, etc.

To me, a realistic movement system is like, idk, closer to counter-strike or half-life 2, Red Orchestra... DayZ and ARMA is just...clunky as fuck, I simply can't get used to it, but at the same time its kinda fun the artificial difficulty this system adds, but it never felt realistic to me tbh.

I don't have those issues in DayZ although I sometimes do in ARMA especially in modded buildings people have put together. In real life I stub my toes on shoes if not watching where I am going and can't walk over backpacks without slowing down while in the other games you mentioned I feel "floaty" like the terrain and objects around me have no weight or mass for me to interact with. 

I like to run around in the woods like a crazy mental hermit, but without those PVP-KOS type people the fear i feel is much lessened, even when they work out the survival mechanics and it is legitimately hard to survive, I still want them there. 

Oh no, you've got me all wrong.

I, contrary to popular knowledge, actually enjoy getting in a scrap. I like getting geared up, and using said bullets on those who really need a lead-injection. However, what I do not like, is those that 1) Kill you for absolutely zero reason, and 2) those who say that Day Z is supposed to be a PvP-game, and that the devs are stupid/foolish/in-the-wrong for trying to include "survival" elements in such a PvP-based game.

Case in point: Yesterday, after the update, my clan and I were trying (and sadly, unsucceeding  :( ) to get a truck up and running. Another clan, the only other one on the server, stumbled across us and we proceeded to skirmish back and forth over the truck. Several hours later, with dead on both sides, my clan won the truck (only to find that it was "empty" aka no parts in it). That was fun

I don't like the bambis that run up to you on the coast, trying to punch you out because 1) if they win, they get gear 2) if they lose, they get a new spawn. I also don't like the people that stumble into each other, only to shoot at you without even responding to your gestures or VOIP. Or, the bambis that hang around coastal towns, murdering other bambis while trash-talking them in pre-pubescent voices.

I want PvP to happen for a reason (fighting over supplies, or to get into a base, etc), not just for shits and giggles.

• Like 5

I, contrary to popular knowledge, actually enjoy getting in a scrap. I like getting geared up, and using said bullets on those who really need a lead-injection. However, what I do not like, is those that 1) Kill you for absolutely zero reason, and 2) those who say that Day Z is supposed to be a PvP-game, and that the devs are stupid/foolish/in-the-wrong for trying to include "survival" elements in such a PvP-based game.

Case in point: Yesterday, after the update, my clan and I were trying (and sadly, unsucceeding  :( ) to get a truck up and running. Another clan, the only other one on the server, stumbled across us and we proceeded to skirmish back and forth over the truck. Several hours later, with dead on both sides, my clan won the truck (only to find that it was "empty" aka no parts in it). That was fun

This, is exactly how I like DayZ PVP to be. 

Which is against server renter policy. Every time this happens to you guys one can only hope that you are reporting these servers. Its easy for the server hosting company to see that the owner of the server is doing this...they can log the server owners actions as well.... just like a server owner has a log of people who plays on the server :)

I've wanted to report servers. However, it seems like such a hassle. An easy way to report servers is needed, preferably in-game.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

I don't have those issues in DayZ although I sometimes do in ARMA especially in modded buildings people have put together. In real life I stub my toes on shoes if not watching where I am going and can't walk over backpacks without slowing down while in the other games you mentioned I feel "floaty" like the terrain and objects around me have no weight or mass for me to interact with. 

I understand, its funny because its probably more a experience thing. By what you say, I guess the games you play the most are from Bohemia right?

I'm relatively new to all this (my first experience being DayZ mod a few years ago) so it all feels terrible sometimes, but I understand what you are saying about the weight thing, its definitely not how I feel when playing Bohemia games. I feel like, I'm way too big and fast you know, I understand what they are trying to archive with this movement system I think, but in real life I also have more control over the speed I walk/run and I can avoid obstacles easier.

I do agree that walking in general feels pretty realistic, but everything goes down the drain when you start running, in the mod it was terrible and in standalone is even worse, because you are literally Usain Bolt and since interiors plays a major role, I think the "clunkiness" intensifies. I don't think DayZ would be cool with a movement system like Half-Life 2 for example, but the way it is now is just shit in my opinion, they need to tone it down a bit, or make interiors bigger, I don't know man. Being in interiors with someone else feels suffocating, its plain weird tbh lol, especially if the dude only runs. I hold myself not to shoot them in the head STOP RUNNING GODDAMMIT knocking me back all over the place (the military barracks for example, you can't even have 2 guys inside there, you can't even walk down those corridors due extreme clunckiness)

This not only affect PVP aspect of the game, it affects the general experience the player has, a shitload of friends of mine and on reviews people talk about how clunky this game feels, and how that is one of the main things that they don't like about the game.

I don't like the bambis that run up to you on the coast, trying to punch you out because 1) if they win, they get gear 2) if they lose, they get a new spawn. I also don't like the people that stumble into each other, only to shoot at you without even responding to your gestures or VOIP. Or, the bambis that hang around coastal towns, murdering other bambis while trash-talking them in pre-pubescent voices.

I want PvP to happen for a reason (fighting over supplies, or to get into a base, etc), not just for shits and giggles.

But the game like the world is populated with assholes. They wouldn't go away. And thats what makes your heart race thinking  "is this guy gonna shoot me for no reason?"

I understand, its funny because its probably more a experience thing. By what you say, I guess the games you play the most are from Bohemia right?

I'm relatively new to all this (my first experience being DayZ mod a few years ago) so it all feels terrible sometimes, but I understand what you are saying about the weight thing, its definitely not how I feel when playing Bohemia games. I feel like, I'm way too big and fast you know, I understand what they are trying to archive with this movement system I think, but in real life I also have more control over the speed I walk/run and I can avoid obstacles easier.

I do agree that walking in general feels pretty realistic, but everything goes down the drain when you start running, in the mod it was terrible and in standalone is even worse, because you are literally Usain Bolt and since interiors plays a major role, I think the "clunkiness" intensifies. I don't think DayZ would be cool with a movement system like Half-Life 2 for example, but the way it is now is just shit in my opinion, they need to tone it down a bit, or make interiors bigger, I don't know man. Being in interiors with someone else feels suffocating, its plain weird tbh lol, especially if the dude only runs. I hold myself not to shoot them in the head STOP RUNNING GODDAMMIT knocking me back all over the place (the military barracks for example, you can't even have 2 guys inside there, you can't even walk down those corridors due extreme clunckiness)

This not only affect PVP aspect of the game, it affects the general experience the player has, a shitload of friends of mine and on reviews people talk about how clunky this game feels, and how that is one of the main things that they don't like about the game.

Yeah, the running is the problem, you don't run through houses IRL, but most are lazy and inpatient in-game. I would personally take Arma2 movement over most games, even though it IS clucky. Now, Arma3 I think can be argued as not clucky and while still not perfect, it cant be beat.

Remember first person only games are a illusion, you are really just two floating arms, no animation connected to movement, and what you see of someone else in multiplayer is just a ghostly cover. The fluidity of most FPS games is fake not only in a real world sense, but a game design sense. Because of all this and ballistics when there is no desync, which isn't too bad in some instances in arma, the pvp cant be beat.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Yeah, the running is the problem, you don't run through houses IRL, but most are lazy and inpatient in-game. I would personally take Arma2 movement over most games, even though it IS clucky. Now, Arma3 I think can be argued as not clucky and while still not perfect, it cant be beat.

Remember first person only games are a illusion, you are really just two floating arms, no animation connected to movement, and what you see of someone else in multiplayer is just a ghostly cover. The fluidity of most FPS games is fake not only in a real world sense, but a game design sense. Because of all this and ballistics when there is no desync, which isn't too bad in some instances in arma, the pvp cant be beat.

Thing is: when I'm playing, if the responsiveness is bad my immersion breaks entirely. I might be floating arms in those games, but I don't even think about what I actually am because its really fluid. Like in real life, I almost never think about my presence in the environment, I just get to places without stumbling my way in walls and shit, pretty much like Half-Life 2 for example or Red Orchestra 2.

It is indeed fake, but it results in you not even thinking about your presence in the environment, so for example when you jump over a fence in Half-Life 2 it wont break your immersion because its easily done, and IRL its just like that, you see the fence and you jump it no problemo. Now on Arma and DayZ, man... Its a goddamn struggle.

You see, in Half-Life 2 there is one clunky element, that are ladders. The responsiveness on ladders are shit and totally immersion breaker for almost like everyone that plays that game, DayZ and Arma seems like full of HL2 "ladders" you know. Its a fight to jump a fence, to get running into a house, to adjust your position on a corner, to crouch walk/run in general and especially in interiors... Everything feels kinda clunky and more often then not your avatar in game does not respond as you wanted it too and either he walks way more distance then you wanted him to, or less distance. I feel its hard to have some movement precision with this movement system.

If the environment was in a better scale, this might not be half as noticeable, but you get in a house and everything is cramped it seems, you have very few space for movement in a movement system that seems to require some space to be immersive (outdoors I have almost 0 problems with this movement system). Everything seems to get in your way, idk man its kinda abstract tbh, I'm having trouble to express myself I think lol.

I mean, this game on a controller.. Its going to be quite a challenge for the devs in my opinion, how to make this game feels good on a controller? Since there are fixed walking speed and running speed on DayZ, and console players usually control their movement speed by the analog stick. It will be even clunkier!

Edited by Avant-Garde

Everything seems to get in your way, idk man its kinda abstract tbh, I'm having trouble to express myself I think lol.

I mean, this game on a controller.. Its going to be quite a challenge for the devs in my opinion, how to make this game feels good on a controller? Since there are fixed walking speed and running speed on DayZ, and console players usually control their movement speed by the analog stick. It will be even clunkier!

No you describe it perfectly. Even about the robot part, because technically it is more like controlling robot, while other FPS game is just a camera.

Arma2 which the movement is from was not made to go indoors. And it is ancient.

But, they are not keeping this, it is all going to change. They're building the new player controller and animation system. I'm sure the challenge is going to be, to not make it to fluid and retain the simulation part. I think they even said that somewhere. Arma3 has many different paces which solves that, you can switch for the situation. Bigger strides outdoors and small steps indoors with sprinting, running, tactical, walking for both, and gun up and down  (which changes pace) for three.

I'm not even sure what the topic is anymore.. :P

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Yeah, the running is the problem, you don't run through houses IRL, but most are lazy and inpatient in-game.

Yep, running would be some of the issue. Some people sprint everywhere and when not sprinting are run/jogging. I actually have a walk button bound and use it especially in interiors. I also often clear interiors with my gun up which also slows you down. One other factor is I own a Track-IR and so can glance around interiors just like in RL which helps a LOT with the maneuvering. I don't walk down the barracks hallway like this _/_/_/_/ poking my face into each door but instead move straight down it glancing into each open door with a glance of my head and I can sweep the whole room that way. I then work my way back gun up opening the closed doors and "pie" clearing them. 

See in an interior I don't have to turn, move forward, move back, turn more, and such just to look around, I just turn my head so I guess they might seem less clunky to me. 

I have been playing FPS since the days of Castle Wolfenstein, I mean the original. DukeNukem3D and Battlefield 1942 were huge LAN party staples along side Quake (1-3), Unreal and Unreal Tournament series, HalfLife, Counter Strike, even the Jedi games. The Mechwarrior series was also a mainstay for us in the old days and there you look/aim one direction and move another so I guess I am just used to glancing at a scene and understanding where my avatar can move within that imaginary space. 

In Mechwarrior:Online I play a lot of Light mechs and the ones I like most can move upwards of 171kph. My Track-IR works there too so I am often glancing out a side cockpit while twisting my torso to avoid damage to one location and turning around corners at max speed. I dodge through entire mech teams while swiveling so their lasers and other weapons spread damage and don't take out one particular area. So it's possible I am better at mental maps and spatial awareness in the games. 

Real Life is so much worse for me than the fine control of games. Lets put it this way. I am one of those people who is likely to turn and have my elbow knock a glass off the counter. Then again I am also likely to snake my foot out so the glass lands on that and doesn't shatter into a million pieces or catch it half way to the floor. 

But the game like the world is populated with assholes. They wouldn't go away. And thats what makes your heart race thinking  "is this guy gonna shoot me for no reason?"

Difference is that in an actual apocalypse, i think much less people would be killing for no reason. They'd kill to save their starving child or themselves, etc.

Not that it matters much, people are going to play how they want, but imo the quality of the game goes up for everyone if there's some interaction before or instead of the killing. The adrenaline would still be there, cause you might die just as easely as you do with all the kos if you don't have the upper hand in said interaction.

And getting robbed of all your shit is almost as bad as dying anyway. Maybe even worse if they kneecap you when they leave.

Edited by Greaves

It .... isn't just us saying your play-style is "wrong"

https://mobile.twitter.com/eugenharton/status/583714726850486273

No playstyle within the sandbox is "wrong". It's not about playstyles. There is nothing whatsoever stopping you from playing any way you want. But yes, I am saying if you want it easy you perhaps are in the wrong game and should stop crying.

According to what the devs are designing, your playstyle is a bit wrong. Grab a gun and be PVPing inside 15 minutes is not how the game design is going so yeah you are going to be disappointed if that is how you like to play. We aren't telling you  your style is wrong as much as WARNING YOU this game won't be designed for that playstyle. ;)

There are literally THOUSANDS of games that fit the "niche"  you just described as how you enjoy playing. There are only a few survival games like DayZ and most don't come close to DayZ's growing survival aspect and those that do tend to be single player. So DayZ is a niche that is going to move away from the way you play because there are thousands of others that you could instead play that give you most of that "I shot someone" reward you crave.

Yeah I guess this ends the argument, if the devs dont want pvp to be encouraged.

Hey, there is no other game like dayz, people tell me to go to another game and pvp, but its never gonna be the same. I dont know why dayz has fun pvp, but it just does. My best memories of this game was 1 year ago, when everyone spawned on the south coast. You got togheter with your friends and went to meet up at kamenka or komarovo. Then went up to the pavlovo military base for gear, further up to zelenogorsk for more gear, then Vybor into northwest airfield. Often finding alot of people on that route. And when you didnt wanna fight at the NWairfield, you went to balota. Balota was guaranteed hot spot, it was crazy. Then they started changing spawn locations to southeast coast, made it harder to get to balota and the general west side of the map. Basically made elektro into the go to hotspot, which was awesome. I literally spent hundreds of hours in elektro killing other fully geared people + fresh spawns. That was the good old days, then for every patch after that, the hotspots became less populated in general...

In current state of the game, I dont feel there is much more to do than to pvp. Maybe in the future when the game is more polished and not in alpha the survival part is gonna be awesome. I can only hope. I actually want zombies to be a bigger part of the game aswell, more different zombies, stronger zombies, weaker zombies and zombie bosses...

Is you spawn, there's literally 0 loot, and there's a guy or two camping the fresh spawn places for easy kills.

Had 3 deaths like this in 10 minutes now.

fun fun fun

my 1st. spawn i forgot change from female to male. Died myself.

2nd. spawn, within 20~ minutes i was already above Polana.

It aint that hard, you must not go to towns ;).

I'm renting a private shard server to avoid this.  Find my loots, build a camp, get cozy, and then remove the password.  Additional bonus: No ghosting players because I'm on an isolated shard.

This kind of garbage needs to be addressed. Funny that you say your server information is no longer available in your signature "because it's so busy." 

Wouldn't want someone ghosting and killing you that's for sure... then what? Wipe your server to bring everyone back to zero so you can lock the door and start all over again?

What is your server name anyway? I want to stay the fuck away from it. 

Basicly .58 is telling us to get out of the coast there's much better rewards up north like m4s in officer tents and ak 101s. Ive play some .58 not much and I got a cherno spawn...there was no looot whatsoever bare bone dry I though to myself I should see if they fucked the police station up went inside came out with a cr 75 w 2 mags and full pristine oreal uniform ironic but that's all that had loot so I headed up to the apartments. There's was some loot not much but not enough so I took a route to kosloka a couple houses were there I checked there they had some food and a random fnx 45 with a mag. Trotted on to koslovka and found a lot more stuff than all the towns I've been to then I headed to zelengorsk and saw a heli crash rushed there and got me a matching black m65 uniform and found another fnx,USMC pants,and a ak 101 mag. Went to zelenogorsh the top porshin not much but a police car with two mp5s and a suppreser. Went into myshkino and checked the officers tent and came oout with a ak 101 havnet seen in a while glad to have him back.logged of in the woods near myshkino good day. There isn't much loot on the coast if you want to pick of people go camp at a road waiting for people to come up lot more worthwhile than just shooting people with a flare gun in electro.

I have jumped on two 40+ servers these past two days.. Similar kind of results...

Server 1, I spawned at Elektro, had a very brief look around the outskirts, found a cola and got hydrated then immediately moved North. Up past Topeka Dam, found very little other than a canteen in a random house, then moved to Moglievka where I found new clothes, a backpack and more food/drink and ammunition than I could possibly need. Ended up with a Trumpet with plenty of rounds, an axe was pretty happy.. What I learnt, hunting huts are your friends for hunter pants and red tin sheds provide all the pipsi your heart could desire.. Eventually ended up looting Novy Sobor then moving off North with the intention of heading for the abandoned military camp up North or the road block on the Norther edge of the map (although I am not sure anything is spawning at the busted ural/tank/uaz at the moment?)

Server 2, spawned at Cherno, found a tin of peaches in the supermarket, ran to Chapaevsk which apparently no one goes to as the cars and tower blocks had plenty of supplies in them, especially the tower blocks that you climb the elevator shaft for.. I guess those who are bitching about loot can't possibly search any building that might take more than 10 seconds... With clothing, food, drinks and a pickaxe in tow I made a move Northwards to Kozlovko, Drozinho, where I found more food and drink than I could carry and was eating and drinking it on the spot til I had a full stomach... Ran to Green Mountain and found nothing useful, hit the hunting stand and found a PU scope... Looped round to the barns North of Zelenogorsk and found a burlap sack to replace my childs briefcase (weirdly couldn't upgrade the courier bag despite having sticks!) made a long approach round Zelenogorsk, spied in at the military compound, moved in and found more SKS ammo than you can shake a stick at along with a Izh Shotgun which I had ammo for already... Finished looting there, headed out West to the barns and logged off in that general vicinity with the intention of heading over to the tent military camp and seeing what I could find...

All in all, quite liking the new patch.. Played it for ages on Exp and it seems to work nicely.. Still think there is probably way too much food and drink around and those of you who are complaining need to get off the coast for a bit and maybe not expect it all to be handed to you within 2 minutes of spawning. Haven't had to kill an animal or grow any food yet and having headed away from where most people congregate I doubt I will have to any time soon, however, I may do it just to check out the fireplace in the house and cooking on the grill, though I tried it on Exp and must have screwed it up as I ruined all the meat immediately! Ah well.. But yeah, loving this patch :)

• Like 1

Only because its alpher, DayZ was never in fact a great survival game.

ARMA is clunky as hell, that seems to be "realism" to bohemia.

Dont know if you've read any true-life books on the subject - or even watched any of the live action helmet cameras on youtube

But the point is this

WAR is clunky as hell

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Basicly .58 is telling us to get out of the coast there's much better rewards up north like m4s in officer tents and ak 101s. Ive play some .58 not much and I got a cherno spawn...there was no looot whatsoever bare bone dry I though to myself I should see if they fucked the police station up went inside came out with a cr 75 w 2 mags and full pristine oreal uniform ironic but that's all that had loot so I headed up to the apartments. There's was some loot not much but not enough so I took a route to kosloka a couple houses were there I checked there they had some food and a random fnx 45 with a mag. Trotted on to koslovka and found a lot more stuff than all the towns I've been to then I headed to zelengorsk and saw a heli crash rushed there and got me a matching black m65 uniform and found another fnx,USMC pants,and a ak 101 mag. Went to zelenogorsh the top porshin not much but a police car with two mp5s and a suppreser. Went into myshkino and checked the officers tent and came oout with a ak 101 havnet seen in a while glad to have him back.logged of in the woods near myshkino good day. There isn't much loot on the coast if you want to pick of people go camp at a road waiting for people to come up lot more worthwhile than just shooting people with a flare gun in electro.

Lol, IMO it is not hard finding stuff even on the coast.

Dont know if you've read any true-life books on the subject - or even watched any of the live action helmet cameras on youtube

But the point is this

WAR is clunky as hell

Red Orchestra 2 has realistic movement system and is not clunky as ARMA. Idk man, I understand they are trying to make things realistic, but this doesn't feel a bit realistic to me, its just unnecessarily clunky tbh. I don't know how my avatar not having a precise movement is realism. Are soldiers disproportional huge and fast as fuck robots that stumble on everything and have problems with little fences/doors/crouch-walking/interiors/etc?

I mean, Red Orchestra conveys with WAY more finesse the "IRL clunkyness" you guys are saying, in my opinion of course.

Edited by Avant-Garde

..//..

Are soldiers disproportional huge and fast as fuck robots that stumble on everything and have problems with little fences/doors/crouch-walking/interiors/etc?

..//..

Hope I'm not offending, this is just my opinion and you're entitled to yours. And we're off topic totally:

OK so you didn't watch any of the live action helmet cameras on youtube .. yes real life soldiers are pretty strange .. try watching .. notice how totally CLUNKY real combat is. - they dont have precise movement either -   people stumble over their own feet - people can't tell where the sound came from - people swear and sweat and SCREAM when they can't get a mag into their gun (just like DayZ, lol) - they loose stuff - they can't see what everyone else can see - they think a guy's in one place but he rubberbanded to somewhere else - it's not fair - they cant find what they have in their hand - they shout to each other nonstop and really try hard, very hard, repeatedly, because 2 times out of 3 the gear and the thing they need to do will NOT work (but it works when no one's shooting) -  If they could call the enemy 'hacker' they'd DO it

- Those guys are not like us, they had to TRAIN to be that clunky

But, hey, a disproportionate size of objects, you mention, has nothing to do with "clunkiness" -  ( didya ever see those guns they tote around in Warhammer 40K ?)

so maybe you missed the point about war,  - and about survival. I could go into all the "wrong, just wrong" stuff about Red Orchestra, but if you like it - that's great with me. Someone else can point out what's wrong with it, not me. .. for some reason I'm a DayZ fan -  I get a kick out of the difficulty of actions, and having to know what will work and what will be a problem.

For instance: . I cant jump over a damn wall OK - I should be able to belly roll over a stone wall, don't you agree?.. but nope.. can you do that in Red Orchestra ? Or can you push the top stone off a dry-stone wall to make a firing loophole in Red Orchestra? Can you take damage from flying tree-splinters?  Or get a bullet through your kneecap so you don't bleed and you can still fight and still hop around but you can't walk ? Cant do those in DayZ either. Do you get that sun-blind effect (great for ambush in DayZ) when you look towards the light ?

Or do you mean (maybe) its based on a tournament game (Unreal Tournament - remember that?) where the whole point is to be FAST and then ALL the rest is just add-on made up and fancy dress. It's the best ever Hollywood Combat Film with John Wayne being a marine. But OK, if I had time I'd probably play it and enjoy it for a while. Hell - I used to like Crysis2, it was my fave for months.

Man you would have loved the DayZ Mod - if you turned round in a bush you broke your leg (true). It was made that way on purpose to scare people into understanding how to be careful and THINK AHEAD, because survival is shitty and dangerous and scary ALL the time.. But that's just my opinion. It was intended to mess you up and make you paranoid every minute. it was not built as a FPS.

Just don't EVER think that you're sooo goood at Unreal Tournament or RO or CoD  that you ought to join the real army, that would be a bad mistake.

Hey, Avant-Garde ..  Red Orchestra is not real

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Lol, IMO it is not hard finding stuff even on the coast.

I've found some servers have more loot on the coast than others the one I was on when I had my journey was barren on the coast of cherno but plentyful inland.

Wow, you both are the exact example of my whole point, I do not complain or tell you how you should play the game. But YOU are telling me that my playstyle is wrong and that anyone who want it easy is in the wrong game and stop crying. I am saying that the game needs to be cattered towards both action player and survival, not only survival. Dayz is a great pvp game...

Anyways, you misunderstood me, I assume I just cant type very well. So I will leave it at that :|

So you are saying that bi is wrong about there own game? Because from day 1 they have said this was the antigame, was going to be very punishing and not easy. They have never once said this is a pvp game, its a survival game with pvp, not a pvp game with some survival stuff in it. Even in the mod they intended the focus to be on survival not pvp deathmatch. Sure pvp has a place in this game, but its not the centerpiece of the game like some people try to say it is. If all you want to do is pvp then enjoy it while it lasts because as development progresses guns will continue be more rare and engaging in pvp will be more risky. However there will be more pvp focused mods that will come out that will fit what you are looking for down the line so keep your eyes open for them. Edited by hellcat420
  • Like 1

Red Orchestra 2 has realistic movement system and is not clunky as ARMA. Idk man, I understand they are trying to make things realistic, but this doesn't feel a bit realistic to me, its just unnecessarily clunky tbh. I don't know how my avatar not having a precise movement is realism. Are soldiers disproportional huge and fast as fuck robots that stumble on everything and have problems with little fences/doors/crouch-walking/interiors/etc?

I mean, Red Orchestra conveys with WAY more finesse the "IRL clunkyness" you guys are saying, in my opinion of course.

If you have seen any actual combat footage and watched how soldiers move, you would see that redorchestra is anything but realistic. I still play them both and have a lot of fun playing them but claiming they are in any way realistic is laughable at best. Sure they might be more "realistic" than cod or something, but that does not make them realistic in any way whatsoever. Edited by hellcat420

Hope I'm not offending, this is just my opinion and you're entitled to yours. And we're off topic totally:

OK so you didn't watch any of the live action helmet cameras on youtube .. yes real life soldiers are pretty strange .. try watching .. notice how totally CLUNKY real combat is. - they dont have precise movement either -   people stumble over their own feet - people can't tell where the sound came from - people swear and sweat and SCREAM when they can't get a mag into their gun (just like DayZ, lol) - they loose stuff - they can't see what everyone else can see - they think a guy's in one place but he rubberbanded to somewhere else - it's not fair - they cant find what they have in their hand - they shout to each other nonstop and really try hard, very hard, repeatedly, because 2 times out of 3 the gear and the thing they need to do will NOT work (but it works when no one's shooting) -  If they could call the enemy 'hacker' they'd DO it

- Those guys are not like us, they had to TRAIN to be that clunky

But, hey, a disproportionate size of objects, you mention, has nothing to do with "clunkiness" -  ( didya ever see those guns they tote around in Warhammer 40K ?)

so maybe you missed the point about war,  - and about survival. I could go into all the "wrong, just wrong" stuff about Red Orchestra, but if you like it - that's great with me. Someone else can point out what's wrong with it, not me. .. for some reason I'm a DayZ fan -  I get a kick out of the difficulty of actions, and having to know what will work and what will be a problem.

For instance: . I cant jump over a damn wall OK - I should be able to belly roll over a stone wall, don't you agree?.. but nope.. can you do that in Red Orchestra ? Or can you push the top stone off a dry-stone wall to make a firing loophole in Red Orchestra? Can you take damage from flying tree-splinters?  Or get a bullet through your kneecap so you don't bleed and you can still fight and still hop around but you can't walk ? Cant do those in DayZ either. Do you get that sun-blind effect (great for ambush in DayZ) when you look towards the light ?

Or do you mean (maybe) its based on a tournament game (Unreal Tournament - remember that?) where the whole point is to be FAST and then ALL the rest is just add-on made up and fancy dress. It's the best ever Hollywood Combat Film with John Wayne being a marine. But OK, if I had time I'd probably play it and enjoy it for a while. Hell - I used to like Crysis2, it was my fave for months.

Man you would have loved the DayZ Mod - if you turned round in a bush you broke your leg (true). It was made that way on purpose to scare people into understanding how to be careful and THINK AHEAD, because survival is shitty and dangerous and scary ALL the time.. But that's just my opinion. It was intended to mess you up and make you paranoid every minute. it was not built as a FPS.

Just don't EVER think that you're sooo goood at Unreal Tournament or RO or CoD  that you ought to join the real army, that would be a bad mistake.

Hey, Avant-Garde ..  Red Orchestra is not real

xx

Hahahhah my friend, I obviously don't get offended with your opinion man, I'm glad we are having this discussion tbh because I always had some doubts about ARMA movement system and wanted to discuss it, and I thank you for the well thought answer!

Real life combat is clunky for those who are watching it, for the soldier himself he is just like, you know, running and walking and much likely he does all that in "automatic mode", like ourselves. ARMA movement system reminds you every time that it is a game and you are not your avatar, because you have to think about the simplest things like going through a door (for example, there are houses in DayZ that are stupidly small, you almost have to crouch to go though the door), jumping over a fence etc. While in other games, like Red Orchestra, I do it all "automatic", just like in real life. See a fence and want to jump over it? Well I just do it no problemo. See a wall and want to get cover? Fine there you go. Once you master the control layout, it all feels "natural" you know what I mean? Half-Life 2 is for example the complete opposite of DayZ, the immersion is amazing, you are literally Gordon fucking Freeman lol. DayZ doesn't give me this, it gives me unnecessary clunkiness, the speed is totally off (either too slow or too goddamn fast), I have to "aim" at the right place on a ladder to interact with it, taking cover is a pain in the ass because I can't position myself the way I wanted to, the roll over thing you said is just plain bad in my opinion, totally unnecessary and I would rather it be like Red Orchestra.

The point being, all this clunkiness does not convey a realism feeling for a shitload of people, it does the exact opposite, it reminds you that you are in a clunky as fuck game. It might be realistic as a concept, but I don't think they did a good job putting the theory in practice.

Disproportion does have something to do with the clunkiness of the game. If I have to crouch to get into a house, there is obviously something wrong. If a stair is barely big enough for one person (the big building in Novosomethinski), there is something wrong. You see, the concept is great, but in practice it doesn't seems to work and just add unnecessary clunkiness and throw immersion and realism out of the window (like, imagine if before the apocalypse that building was on fire and people had to escape it using those stairs? Or the midget house example, there are many other examples).

Now, Red Orchestra is not real? No shit Sherlock. May I remind you that DayZ and ARMA are not real as well. They are games and gameplay and immersion plays a major role in games. Red Orchestra has a more fluid and immersive gameplay in my opinion, while DayZ and ARMA reminds me everytime I'm in a game, a quite realistic one but there is no reality suspension you know, Half-Life 2 full of aliens does a better job suspending reality then DayZ tbh. Movement system is one of the causes, bad interior design is another (everything is cramped as fuck). Devs seems to acknowledged this, since they are changing the character and movement system at some point.

My point is: I don't want DayZ to have a movement system like Unreal Tournament or Half-Life 2, it wouldn't fit. It needs more "weight" then what those games propose. BUT, the way it is now is not good at all, way to clunky and and instead of suspending reality it reminds you that you are playing a game. I talk about Red Orchestra because until this day, that game had the best b0lonce between both worlds in my opinion, of course its not perfect or 100% realistic, but it does convey some realism sense AND does cause the suspension of disbelief.

Idk if people heard about this term before, but anyways here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

Sometimes I get sad because I'm all nervous and shit because of PVP situations, then the clunkiness of the game gets in the way and immediately I'm "out" of the game you know.

BTW I know is oftopic but fuck, just read the OP man, we are doing this thread a favor lmao (just kidding)

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1